Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #24798

Subject: "okay I've read...." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Jaila

Wed Apr-26-00 03:58 PM

14. "okay I've read...."
In response to In response to 13

all of these post where people are saying he's a clone or he's unique in his own way.

Maybe I'm reaching, but when a fellow scribe handed me "Time Out" and he was one of the featired "next 20 people" or something like that. After just reading what the writer had to say I was open. I immediatly ran down the hall and begged my editor to get her hands on anything he had recorded and she did.

What I've heard thusfar, sounds nothing like D'Angelo. IMHO, the comparisons come in when people (consumers/media) feel the need to always compare. Never truly wanting or allowing something new in. Just a constant need for the familiar. The creative ones are always the ones who must be killed and resurrected first.

I'm not inside Balal's head, but I'm sure he's thought at one point this might happen, or maybe not. Not in particular of being compared to D, but that he'd be compared anyways. This people is just how it is. It's not "right" and it ain't "wrong", cause that's all relative and everyone's entitled to their opinions. But I think alot of you are assuming before you even get a finished product in your hands.

Or it may be some frontal lobe thing, because he's being assited creativly by some of the same cats who assisted D. These are the opinions souly of Jaila.

My final thought on Balal, and what I've heard so far is this: He reminds me of a younger, grittier Donny Hathaway, with splashes of Al Green. His vocal prowess is amazing to say the least, his range for a male vocalist blows me away. I don't need to compare this soul singer to anyone, to know he stands on his own. See he's like that "middle" child. Who in my honest opinion will grab the attention of all us who are "left in the middle folks." He will bridge a gap, one that's been open for a long time. Just sit back watch and regardless of what you think...you become chronically aware of what I mean. Draw your own conclusions. But this young man is full of somethin' and I don't think anyone right now can quite describe it. Only assumptions can be drawn. Him and Jill Scott and a few other young soul artist are about to slowly close these pot holes we got going on.

There will always be clones. But, because of this everyone is written off before ever given a chance to stand in their own space and time. If you don't like someone because you think they sound exactly like another artist then that's limiting.

Nothing is ever truly original or even new. All is recylced, but it's the elements and this my friends will help Balal just like it helped so many stand out. It's the elements they all bring. Ad, by elements I mean that "something" that the anothers doesn't have. If we were all true music listeners we'd learn to listen without suspecting ears. Many of us look for that familiar...and most do it unconsciously.

Peace

Jaila

Printer-friendly copy

OH DEAR JESUS BILAL IS ILL!!!!!! [View all] , ILLusional, Wed Apr-19-00 06:47 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
I concure
Apr 19th 2000
I concure
Apr 19th 2000
Well, I certainly hope he gets better
Apr 20th 2000
RE: Well, I certainly hope he gets better
vuduchild
Apr 20th 2000
RE: OH DEAR JESUS BILAL IS ILL!!!!!!
Apr 20th 2000
Stop hating!!!!
vuduchild
Apr 20th 2000
dear sir:
Apr 20th 2000
he's right...Bilal leaves much to be desired...
Apr 20th 2000
Apr 21st 2000
vuduchild
Apr 23rd 2000
Gotta reply
Apr 26th 2000
Thank You Nesta...
Apr 26th 2000
      RE: Thank You Nesta...
vuduchild
Apr 26th 2000

RE: okay I've read....
Aus_the_ebonically_linguistic
Apr 26th 2000
                He's no Donny
Apr 27th 2000
                     RE: He's no Donny
Jaila
Apr 27th 2000
yall didnt know????????
Apr 26th 2000
Personal Opinions
vuduchild
Apr 27th 2000
      RE: Personal Opinions
Apr 27th 2000
LOL@Orignal Subject Name...n/m
Apr 27th 2000

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #24798 Previous topic | Next topic