Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Artist Archives
Topic subjectOH DEAR JESUS BILAL IS ILL!!!!!!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=19&topic_id=24798
24798, OH DEAR JESUS BILAL IS ILL!!!!!!
Posted by ILLusional, Wed Apr-19-00 06:47 PM
i have an early copy of his track "Soul Sista" from the Love and Basketball soundtrack...u can peep it on the mainstream section of www.smokedoutmp3z.com.....go to the Love And Basketball SDTCK and download it on MP3....OH MY!!!! that was ILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL! i love that, go check...what u think? PEACE yall

“I have been locked by the lawless
Handcuffed by the haters.
Gagged by the greedy.
And, if I know anything at all,
it's that a wall is just a wall
and nothing more at all
It can be broken down

I believe in Living.
I believe in birth.
I believe in the sweat of love"
and in the fire of truth"- Assata Shakur (a small part of "Affirmation")

“A man who cannot choose, ceases to be a man”-Anthony Burgess

24799, I concure
Posted by thisisme, Wed Apr-19-00 10:14 PM
The track is defanitely ill. cant wait for an album.

LA outkast/OkayOutsidahz representative

New breed I'm the bad seed smokin weed til my motherfuckin eyes bleed---Xzibit Year 2000

thisisme

24800, I concure
Posted by thisisme, Wed Apr-19-00 10:14 PM
The track is defanitely ill. cant wait for an album.

LA outkast/OkayOutsidahz representative

New breed I'm the bad seed smokin weed til my motherfuckin eyes bleed---Xzibit Year 2000

thisisme

24801, Well, I certainly hope he gets better
Posted by MrBastard, Thu Apr-20-00 08:48 AM
MrB

24802, RE: Well, I certainly hope he gets better
Posted by guest, Thu Apr-20-00 01:40 PM
Better?! With how good he IS, that's asking quite a bit, huh? Can't wait til the album drops!!
-B
24803, RE: OH DEAR JESUS BILAL IS ILL!!!!!!
Posted by bdub19, Thu Apr-20-00 01:42 PM
He soundz like a broke ass D'Angelo. His hook was tight in the Six Sense, but he sounds like D too much. Bilal if your reading this YOU ARE NOT D'ANGELO!!!!!!! U and Chico D need to stop swinging on D'Angelo's nuts and get your own set you can your own. HOwever you can sing just stick to hooks "ANNNNNND YYYYYOU KNOOOOOOOOW YEEEESSS YOU KNNNNNNNNOOOOWWWWWWWW!!!!"
24804, Stop hating!!!!
Posted by guest, Thu Apr-20-00 01:50 PM
We need as many (good) soul artists out there as possible! It's the next movement!! And just because he has a similar style to D' doesn't make him a wannabe, aight?! Open your mind and ears! Much love to both D' and B!!!!
-B
24805, dear sir:
Posted by qoolquest, Thu Apr-20-00 08:54 PM
you are an asshole.
have a nice day!
:-)

THE SOULQUARIANS
chewy (quest).....jan
luke (d)........feb
lando (jaydee)......feb
cp30 (james poyser).....jan
r2d2 (jazzy jeff)......jan
hans (chaos)........jan
anakin (lil mike)......feb

honorary members:
kelo- soulacorn.......jan
common- soulcies......march
erykah- soulcies......feb
zack- soulicorn.......feb
anthony hamilton-soulquarian.jan

top 5 reasons why bfnh is my hero

1. he's online right now -
all he does is play
on the internet and lose
at competitive games. he's
just ignorin' your ass....
(hak's response to th(si)ckness as to why i'm "not on the boards" (as if y'all can pull me away.....)

2. where is your individuality? where
are your catchphrases? why
do you say smut as
if you invented it?
are you REALLY offering manbutter
by the buckets? y'all
muthafuckas are jacking our slang,
i seen the same shit
happen to K(love), 3 paragraphs
in your response, trying to
wild out.
man, y'all suck ass.
(my favorite ok(semi)vet response/bitching to the new freshmen class to how the boards have....gulp uh....fallen? (fill preference here)

3.i still think you're either
in possession of two chins
or two testicles. or,
sadly, both.
(hak showing extreme strength when the enemy tries to butter him up with nicenes...nigga like me would cave in....hak goes for the jugg...er adam's apple?)

4...if you are this
22/23 year old record company
skank (didn't know i peeped
how you effed up and
claimed to different ages did
you?) then we may have
a spot for you in
team XSV. actually, i
work for a production team
Cock 'n Fist productions
we manage Dr. Cockinbush
& Mr. Fistabutt...
(nothing makes my day more than a good card pull (in this case superhak to an okaynemisis sickness )

5........ i don't need
no stinkin' okayplayer to vent
off frustration. here's a
hint - take your ass
to http://www.h8r.com and look at
the front page - see?
see? that's where i
vent......
(freedom, independence! gotta love it. i wish i was bi-postal!)

this would be a top ten list but big hak said cut down on the sigs. so i shall.

....you still gettin beat down during the 3am-6am laser blowout saturday of the reunion!!!!!!

24806, he's right...Bilal leaves much to be desired...
Posted by thebiach, Thu Apr-20-00 10:48 PM
I like him on sixth sense but what exactly separates him from D'Angelo? I mean he has talent but that song is just blehhhh!!! :( I am glad i didn't spend money on that sdtk...I got it for free from work...maybe (hopefully) he sounds better over some soulquarians production...otherwise i'm gonna leave his cd on the shelf...just like everybody else will..sorry I gues NOBODY is gonna buy it in my town...oh well...peace all

Nicolas

"Just cuz we hate your punk ass that don't make you no player!"--Freddie Foxxx

"Anyway I say, white people is the flour, black people is the chocolate chips, asians is the eggs, and latinos is the butter. We should all get together and make cookies." -- jumecca

"Just kickin' back with the Get Helskt Crew"--The BiACH

Wessyde Okayplayer shoutouts: missrose, Loopfactor, chrisnotic, sonar360, the_fifth, Mindstorm, daze, Framamind, Apostle, keroline, Nickelz45, mikeONE, Ghax, Tannaz, thisisme, mojotaters, BooDaah, calgrl04, bfly07, Candy1, Bolo_Kid

CELEBRATING APRIL AS WACK QUOTE MONTH ON OKAYPLAYER.COM --
"Give me respect due...like the Pope in a synogogue"--O.C.
24807, RE: OH DEAR JESUS BILAL IS ILL!!!!!!
Posted by Nij, Fri Apr-21-00 03:06 AM
Yo, POST THE LINK AGAIN! Please!

Thanks

Nij

MIND
MATTER
24808, RE: OH DEAR JESUS BILAL IS ILL!!!!!!
Posted by guest, Sun Apr-23-00 12:57 PM
Hey ?uest... if you're reading this, could you PLEASE give us an idea of how long we're going to have to wait for Bilal's album to drop? in a previous post, you said that you held it up, so you gotta know a lil' something, right? thank's a lot! love and respect!
-B

P.S. that soul sista track was hot, no matter what anybody else thought about it, aight?!!
24809, Gotta reply
Posted by Nesta, Wed Apr-26-00 07:50 AM
I thought that heads who said Bilal sounded too much like D were simply hating. I laid a smack down on bdub in his post and he deserved it because he was simply hating and wouldn't discuss the issue at hand, so I will not rescind that smack!! But Brainchild called me on it and I must speak the truth as I know it (c) Martin Lawrence.

Now "Soul Sista" is a hot ass track. I can't deny it. In fact I've been telling folks about the song for the last few days. I've been playing the track non-stop for the last two days. I love the song immensely, Saddiq is just too hot for me!!!!!

That being said, Bilal sounds damn near exactly like D'Ang on this cut. Listen to the hook. The phrasing is the same as D uses on Voodoo (i.e. The Line). Again, I'm not hating. I'm in love with this song, but damn if sometimes when I'm listening I just hear D and forget it's Bilal singing. And I'm not talking about the way I hear Marvin in D or I the way I hear Prince in D. Bilal didn't sound like D too much to me on LWFC, but here its undeniable, IMHO.

Bilal is clearly talented, but if his whole album sounds like he's standing in for D it'd be unfortunate.

I don't know though, if the production on the album is like "Soul Sista" the album can't be anywhere near wack, but I don't want an album of a cat sounding like D, I'd just prefer another D album. Maybe the comparison is inevitable.

BTW, GOT DAMN SADDIQ IS A BAD MAN!!!!!!

"Its spring again and I'm feelin fine!" - Greg Nice
24810, Thank You Nesta...
Posted by BrainChild, Wed Apr-26-00 07:53 AM
"PUT THE MOTHERF*CKING MAGAZINE DOWN AND PLAY YOUR PART.... GOD!!!!" -- Prince '84
http://www.thejawn.com/realaudio/mag.ram

"Put the magazine down nigga!" -- Prince '84
http://www.thejawn.com/realaudio/mag2.ram

http://www.thejawn.com/brainchild/

24811, RE: Thank You Nesta...
Posted by guest, Wed Apr-26-00 03:21 PM
Yeah, sure he may sound similar to D'. He's got his own little thing going on, too, though, n/m? I just want to respect him as an individual artist. Apparently he's only 19, and he's already got that intense soul dripping like honey from those vocals like he's 30 and been through it all, or something. Plus, I've heard that he's one of those self-sufficient brothas when it comes to music. Sure, it sounds like a D' clone, but I give love and respect to anyone with that much talent. Plus, you can tell that the soul in his voice is sincere. It's not a mimic of D', but real genuine soul, n/m? That's coming from him, not just impersonating the sound. So, even if the album does sound just like D', I'll still love it and give respect to the artist.
-B
24812, okay I've read....
Posted by guest, Wed Apr-26-00 03:58 PM
all of these post where people are saying he's a clone or he's unique in his own way.

Maybe I'm reaching, but when a fellow scribe handed me "Time Out" and he was one of the featired "next 20 people" or something like that. After just reading what the writer had to say I was open. I immediatly ran down the hall and begged my editor to get her hands on anything he had recorded and she did.

What I've heard thusfar, sounds nothing like D'Angelo. IMHO, the comparisons come in when people (consumers/media) feel the need to always compare. Never truly wanting or allowing something new in. Just a constant need for the familiar. The creative ones are always the ones who must be killed and resurrected first.

I'm not inside Balal's head, but I'm sure he's thought at one point this might happen, or maybe not. Not in particular of being compared to D, but that he'd be compared anyways. This people is just how it is. It's not "right" and it ain't "wrong", cause that's all relative and everyone's entitled to their opinions. But I think alot of you are assuming before you even get a finished product in your hands.

Or it may be some frontal lobe thing, because he's being assited creativly by some of the same cats who assisted D. These are the opinions souly of Jaila.

My final thought on Balal, and what I've heard so far is this: He reminds me of a younger, grittier Donny Hathaway, with splashes of Al Green. His vocal prowess is amazing to say the least, his range for a male vocalist blows me away. I don't need to compare this soul singer to anyone, to know he stands on his own. See he's like that "middle" child. Who in my honest opinion will grab the attention of all us who are "left in the middle folks." He will bridge a gap, one that's been open for a long time. Just sit back watch and regardless of what you think...you become chronically aware of what I mean. Draw your own conclusions. But this young man is full of somethin' and I don't think anyone right now can quite describe it. Only assumptions can be drawn. Him and Jill Scott and a few other young soul artist are about to slowly close these pot holes we got going on.

There will always be clones. But, because of this everyone is written off before ever given a chance to stand in their own space and time. If you don't like someone because you think they sound exactly like another artist then that's limiting.

Nothing is ever truly original or even new. All is recylced, but it's the elements and this my friends will help Balal just like it helped so many stand out. It's the elements they all bring. Ad, by elements I mean that "something" that the anothers doesn't have. If we were all true music listeners we'd learn to listen without suspecting ears. Many of us look for that familiar...and most do it unconsciously.

Peace :-)

Jaila
24813, RE: okay I've read....
Posted by guest, Wed Apr-26-00 08:36 PM
Very well said, don't know if I could've done better myself.

24814, He's no Donny
Posted by Nesta, Thu Apr-27-00 05:19 AM
Puhlease. Leave Donny Hathaway out of it.

Go and play D's "The Line" and then play Bilal's "Soul Sista" back-to-back. If u do not hear the overwhelming similiarities you're just in denial.

I want the bruh to have his own style. I'm not the one to go looking for clones of others. In fact, I tried to deny the fact that he sounded just like D on Soul Sista until I couldn't ignore it any longer. i'm speicifically talking about Soul sista, I haven't heard anything else. I'm hoping that the rest of the album, as dope as it will probably be, doesn't just sound exactly like D.

That being said I love the song and I eagerly wait for his album, but he doesn't sound like Donny at all. I listen to Donny Live and In performace daily. Of course he's influenced by Donny as every other artist worth his/her salt should be. Pop in "Everything is Everything" and "Extension of a Man" again.

Donny Hathaway - In Performance
Ghostface - Surpreme Clientele
Me'shell Ndegecello - Live at Luna Park, CA
Dead Prez - Let's Get Free!
24815, RE: He's no Donny
Posted by guest, Thu Apr-27-00 03:59 PM
>Puhlease. Leave Donny Hathaway out
>of it.
>
>Go and play D's "The Line"
>and then play Bilal's "Soul
>Sista" back-to-back. If u
>do not hear the overwhelming
>similiarities you're just in denial.
>
>
>I want the bruh to have
>his own style. I'm
>not the one to go
>looking for clones of others.
> In fact, I tried
>to deny the fact that
>he sounded just like D
>on Soul Sista until I
>couldn't ignore it any longer.
> i'm speicifically talking about
>Soul sista, I haven't heard
>anything else. I'm hoping
>that the rest of the
>album, as dope as it
>will probably be, doesn't just
>sound exactly like D.
>
>That being said I love the
>song and I eagerly wait
>for his album, but he
>doesn't sound like Donny at
>all. I listen to
>Donny Live and In performace
>daily. Of course he's
>influenced by Donny as every
>other artist worth his/her salt
>should be. Pop in
>"Everything is Everything" and "Extension
>of a Man" again.
>
>__________________
>What's Nesta listening to these days:
>
>
>Donny Hathaway - In Performance
>Ghostface - Surpreme Clientele
>Me'shell Ndegecello - Live at Luna
>Park, CA
>Dead Prez - Let's Get Free!

Opinions are what make the world go round, but respect is what keeps it together.

You make large assumptions about me, when you don't know me. Wouldn't it be better if you state that you disagree with me...and then go on to state why. This is called dialogue. See a fruitfull conversation is one that leaves all personal assumptions out. "If you don;t then your in denial" how bout different ears, taste. Because one who knows the art of comminucating knows there's no need to pass that large of a stroke. Denial I'm not, but a lil perplexed by your post I am. To each it's own broh man, to each it's own.

I've heard and I'm loving Bilal, say whatcha like but for every social strata,and or cultural group there are expectations for their musicians and or the artists they breed...which you've fallen victim to...as per your post that is. At this point you EXPECT Bilal to be different and insist he must not sound like D...and who does D sound like...oh the webs we weave. I'm done...No need to waste energy when all this boils down to is PERSONAL OPINIONS on all levels.

Peace and Respect in All-Ways!

Jaila :-)

24816, yall didnt know????????
Posted by keroline, Wed Apr-26-00 09:06 PM
yall didnt know that bilal was ill?? LOL
yeah hes soo effin dope, i cant get enuff of funky for u at the very end when hes just singin...dammmmmmmn BILAL!!! come out to los angeles PLEASE.
i cant wait to hear more of his stuff, anyone know when the album is droppin?

-------:D
there comes a time in every mans life when he's gotta handle shit up on his own- tre(pharcyde)

10 g's, BANK on it- heather b

24817, Personal Opinions
Posted by guest, Thu Apr-27-00 04:19 PM
Yep, these have got me in some trouble in the past. All I've gotta say is open your ears and minds, and keep all comparisons at bay. Bilal is the shiznit, whether he sounds like D' or not (and for all of you who say he does, how well are you listening? I don't see it, and I'm not in denial.). That is my personal opinion, and I'm not gonna hear anything else (sure, I sound ignorant, but who are you to judge?).
-B
Posted by BrainChild, Thu Apr-27-00 05:53 PM
>Bilal is the shiznit,
>whether he sounds like D'
>or not (and for all
>of you who say he
>does, how well are you
>listening? I don't see it,
>and I'm not in denial

have you heard bilal's song "Soul Sister"?

if you can't hear the similarities, I must ask how well are *you* listening?

--me--
"PUT THE MOTHERF*CKING MAGAZINE DOWN AND PLAY YOUR PART.... GOD!!!!" -- Prince '84
http://www.thejawn.com/realaudio/mag.ram

"Put the magazine down nigga!" -- Prince '84
http://www.thejawn.com/realaudio/mag2.ram

http://www.thejawn.com/brainchild/

24819, LOL@Orignal Subject Name...n/m
Posted by Ornery, Thu Apr-27-00 06:06 PM
Ornery