Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectBeastie Boys hated Paul's Boutique
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3022980
3022980, Beastie Boys hated Paul's Boutique
Posted by OKdamn, Wed Mar-25-20 10:11 AM
Which is crazy, because it's their best album (imo)

https://www.interviewmagazine.com/music/beastie-boys-ad-rock-and-mike-d-look-back-on-their-once-misunderstood-classic-pauls-boutique
3022981, RE: Beastie Boys hated Paul's Boutique
Posted by OKdamn, Wed Mar-25-20 10:17 AM
https://www.villagevoice.com/2013/09/26/ad-rock-hated-faggots-and-other-beastie-boys-revelations-gleaned-from-our-archives/
3022982, a lot of people did when it first came out...
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Wed Mar-25-20 10:45 AM
3022983, It took me about 10 listens to really love it
Posted by handle, Wed Mar-25-20 12:38 PM
I got the 8 panel gatefold THE day it came out - from Blue Meanie Records in El Cajon, CA (https://www.yelp.com/biz/blue-meanie-records-el-cajon) and I was kind of shocked.

We had the EP released beforehand but this was a departure even for that. So dense, muddy sometimes, so many samples that I could not identify - and so different than Licensed to Ill.

But in those days your BOUGHT the record so even if the first few listens were not to your liking you listened to it many more times - because it cost REAL money.

Real talk though - P.E. RULED that summer, and De La ruled the fall (I came late to it.)
3022984, It was really far out...
Posted by OKdamn, Wed Mar-25-20 01:25 PM
Nobody had ever stacked samples like that other than De La and Public Enemy

.. definitely not what people were expecting from the Beastie Boys

I loved it though
3022985, Any other examples of artists disliking their own music?
Posted by OKdamn, Wed Mar-25-20 01:28 PM
I know Kurt Cobain hated how Nevermind was produced

John Lennon later called his a few of his own Beatle songs rubbish

3022990, De La with me myself and I
Posted by josephmurf2384, Wed Mar-25-20 04:31 PM
3022992, Doesn't get more "on point" than Grimes and "Art Angels"
Posted by c71, Wed Mar-25-20 07:22 PM
https://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2952184&mesg_id=2952184&listing_type=search

besides that great one:

Madonna really doesn't like the song "Material Girl"

The Red Hot Chili Peppers don't like "One hot minute" too much (the now-gone guitarist Josh pushed them play songs off of it for a minute after its first go round when it was released)

Billy Paul has a lot of extreme feelings about the song "Am I Black enough for you?" but that may be about what it did to his career (as opposed to the song itself(?)

from wikipedia:

Paul reflected: "Well you know... For a long time I was angry about it, I had a bit of a letdown. Now the song is ahead of its time. I feel as though I let the song down when I went into my darkness. I feel like I abandoned the song. And I'm still going to get to the bottom of 'Am I Black Enough'."

Kevin Toney, the keyboardist of The BlackByrds, tells of how he and the band really didn't think "Walking in Rhythm" was all that as compared to their other songs ("it wasn't a hip song")

around 40:20 of this youtube clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCIHmwQ5MMk

there's probably some others I'm overlooking
3022996, i've read they hated BMS as well?
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Thu Mar-26-20 08:41 AM
...MM&I is understandable i guess
3023026, I remember a later interview where they said
Posted by OKdamn, Fri Mar-27-20 09:59 AM
'Paul was over-Paulling on BMS'.. As in they were starting to feel like guests on their own album..
3023027, i think it might be my favorite album of theirs
Posted by mista k5, Fri Mar-27-20 10:10 AM
i dont like prince paul stuff without de la as much as his stuff with de la either. it was really a great match musically.
3023028, Yea BMS is def my favorite too.
Posted by Brew, Fri Mar-27-20 10:21 AM
I love 3 Ft and .. is Dead, but I always prefer trimming the fat over bloated, 20+ track albums (I know many of the 1st two albums' tracks were skits but still ..)

And I'd like to see the interview OKdamn is talking about for sure. That's an interesting quote.
3023054, RE: Yea BMS is def my favorite too.
Posted by OKdamn, Sat Mar-28-20 01:14 AM
>I love 3 Ft and .. is Dead, but I always prefer trimming the
>fat over bloated, 20+ track albums (I know many of the 1st two
>albums' tracks were skits but still ..)
>
>And I'd like to see the interview OKdamn is talking about for
>sure. That's an interesting quote.

I'll try to find it..it was around the time of AOI 1..maybe XXL
3022995, Johnny Gill didn't want to sing Boys To Men & My, My My
Posted by CherNic, Thu Mar-26-20 07:54 AM
I think it was MMM...need to double check that. But he definitely didn't like B2M.

Also, Sisqo said he didn't want to sing In My Bed
3023006, Redman & Dare iz a Darkside
Posted by cal.25, Thu Mar-26-20 11:58 AM
He was in a dark place while he was making the album and apparently hasn't performed many of the songs since...

"I was doing a lot of drugs on Dare Iz A Darkside. I have chicks that come up to me and say, 'Yo, Dare Iz A Darkside is my favorite fuckin' album, ever.' I swear, I have not played Dare Iz A Darkside damn near since I did it. Seriously! I was so lost, I was so fucked up during that album"
3023007, Common seemed to distance himself from Electric Circus
Posted by DJR, Thu Mar-26-20 12:05 PM
I don’t know if “dislike” is accurate. But if I recall, he made some comments when “Be” was coming out?
3023011, Prince was the same with the original Black album.
Posted by tariqhu, Thu Mar-26-20 12:28 PM
rumor is that he said he didn't want that to be what he was remembered for if that was his last output.
3023016, Yeah, he's slandered/downplayed that album plenty of times.
Posted by bills, Thu Mar-26-20 02:46 PM
I find that disappointing...it's one of my favorite albums ever.
Plus, after that, his music got so...safe.
(UMC was weird, but not in a good way.)
3023022, Yea he has. And it would be one thing if the album was "bad".
Posted by Brew, Thu Mar-26-20 09:02 PM
It wasn't. It was just such a deviation that folks, even his fans, weren't ready for it. And understandably so, to some degree.

But as time went on a lot of folks, and specifically/most importantly his core fans, started to understand it better and praise it for its fearlessness and risks. So while I can understand him wanting to "come back to earth" and refer to EC as an artistic phase, for lack of a better way to phrase it .. I've never understood why he's consistently distanced himself from it as a work of art. It's almost like he was listening to the feedback of the wrong fans.

I wish he'd embrace it for the artistic statement that it was and is, flaws and all. In a lot of ways he was ahead of his time and could even probably take some credit for a lot of the high quality weirdness that was to come in hip-hop.

But instead he barely acknowledges it, it seems. Which sucks, but I do suspect that it may relate in some ways to the fact that the album came out when he was full-on with Erykah. In other words maybe his admonishment of the album is less about the art and more about a period in his personal life he'd rather forget. And to be clear that's no shade @ Erykah. I just think that maybe their broken engagement had an impact on him, to the extent that he'd rather forget that whole period of his life both personally and artistically. Especially since I think a lot of what he was doing artistically was seemingly being influenced and encouraged by her.

That's my armchair psychoanalysis, anyway. lol

>I find that disappointing...it's one of my favorite albums
>ever.
>Plus, after that, his music got so...safe.
>(UMC was weird, but not in a good way.)
3023032, I listened to it all the way through a few months again ago...
Posted by Anonymous, Fri Mar-27-20 11:37 AM
I felt like it should’ve gotten a lot of praise for influencing albums like My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy as opposed to Kanye always getting the praise for being innovative.

EC really seemed to set the bar for albums like those. Some could say Stankonia maybe did it first because I always felt EC was Common’s attempt of a Stankonia but that was just my guess.

3023035, Yea for sure. Comm/the Soulquarians were inspired by 'kast ...
Posted by Brew, Fri Mar-27-20 12:16 PM
... and others, I don't doubt that at all.

And I agree that Comm deserves more credit for influencing those that came after him. But it def doesn't help that he himself barely even talks about this album anymore. He could benefit from some self promotion on some "I went there first, in fucking 2002 ..." lol.

>I felt like it should’ve gotten a lot of praise for
>influencing albums like My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy as
>opposed to Kanye always getting the praise for being
>innovative.
>
>EC really seemed to set the bar for albums like those. Some
>could say Stankonia maybe did it first because I always felt
>EC was Common’s attempt of a Stankonia but that was just my
>guess.
3023164, I agree with all of that.
Posted by bills, Mon Mar-30-20 03:35 PM
The Erykah thing is a good point. I guess I forget to think of things that way...for example, my favorite Redman album is Darkside (this is a theme with me...haha), but Red himself doesn't like the album because he was in such a dark place while recording it.
If it were me, I'd feel like "that was a rough time...but check out what came out of it!!"
But I gotta respect where these guys are coming from too, though (if Common's situation fits that description).
btw, I ain't gon lie...I LOVE To Pimp a Butterfly, and while it's not the same album as EC by any means, and it even could be a Lupe situation -- where Kendrick doesn't even really enjoy listening to the kinds of artists who paved the way for him (its possible, since he said in an interview that he knew nothing about jazz before Terrace Martin put him on), I kinda see TPaB as EC's descendent, sonically. And when other people LOVE TPaB, but are really dismissive of EC, they get the side eye from me.
3023025, Beck dislikes his hits (Loser & Where It's At)
Posted by OKdamn, Fri Mar-27-20 09:56 AM
Oasis hates Wonderwall
Ghostface once said that Ironman is in the wrong order
Prince rarely performed songs from Purple Rain until a few years before he died
George Clinton said Electric Spanking wasn't the double lp he envisioned (which would of had an early version of Atomic Dog)
Janet disowned her first two albums before Control
The Temptations felt like Normal Whitfield over-produced their music during their time with him
Rolling Stones said Jimmy Miller wasn't functioning correctly during Exile - Goat Head Soup
3023033, What does this mean?
Posted by Anonymous, Fri Mar-27-20 11:39 AM

>Ghostface once said that Ironman is in the wrong order

Sequence?
3023050, Sequenced wrong
Posted by OKdamn, Sat Mar-28-20 12:24 AM
Yes. I believe it was said in The Source in 96 when it was fresh out
3023029, where are you getting these hate vibes from? not that article
Posted by FunkyBoss, Fri Mar-27-20 10:45 AM
they don't hate that album
3023053, RE: where are you getting these hate vibes from? not that article
Posted by OKdamn, Sat Mar-28-20 12:44 AM
In the Beastie Boys book they go into it...
Without giving it all away, they had a rough time recording it and mixing it and thought it came out shitty compared to the original demos from the Dust Brothers' apartment. Mike D especially doesn't care for it. Adrock says it takes him back to a bad period in his life where he was struggling with substance abuse.

On top of that, nobody thought it was great (except us weirdos) when it was released and they got laughed at and written off as has beens.

I think it's a masterpiece and according to them it's the album they get the most street love for.
3023058, nah, I read the book i don't know how you came up with these conclusions
Posted by FunkyBoss, Sat Mar-28-20 10:46 AM
>In the Beastie Boys book they go into it...
>Without giving it all away, they had a rough time recording it
>and mixing it and thought it came out shitty compared to the
>original demos from the Dust Brothers' apartment. Mike D
>especially doesn't care for it. Adrock says it takes him back
>to a bad period in his life where he was struggling with
>substance abuse.
>
>On top of that, nobody thought it was great (except us
>weirdos) when it was released and they got laughed at and
>written off as has beens.
>
>I think it's a masterpiece and according to them it's the
>album they get the most street love for.

that doesn't mean they hate the album. In fact when they did their live book shows the segments dealing with pauls boutique they talk about how much fun they had making the album, hanging out, doing the L.A. thing.

what you're talking about is the actual sound they were disappointed in. Mike D. talks about struggling to get that original sound not hating the album.

Also Adrock doesn't talk about ever having substance abuse problems in the book or ever.
3023060, K I just made it all up
Posted by OKdamn, Sat Mar-28-20 12:00 PM
You got me. I'm holding the fkn book in my hand right now.
Everything I said is said in one way or another between page 266 and 280 and no I'm not gonna type the exact quotes out.

You're right. Mike D never actually says I hate it. He just thinks it came out shitty and has never listened to it. My bad. Imo Mike D is sort of a dick about alot of things. He said What Goes Around is a dud, which is his opinion. He's wrong but that's his opinion. :)