Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2952184

Subject: "Grimes - Art Angels Discussion" Search result list | First match | Last match
Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Sun Dec-13-15 03:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Grimes - Art Angels Discussion"

This is a good as pop record. Kinda makes me wish Madge would've worked with her on Rebel Heart. Anybody give this a spin?

Album Stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LmBM0mTafI&list=PLql5iS_v44448taFsUjSOSw6DX8I85jzc

Tracklist

01. Laughing And Not Being Normal
02. California
03. Scream (feat. Aristophanes)
04. Flesh Without Blood
05. Belly Of The Beat
06. Kill V. Maim
07. Artangels
08. Easily
09. Pin
10. Realiti
11. World Princess Part II
12. Venus Fly (feat. Janelle Monáe)
13. Life In The Vivid Dream
14. Butterfly
15. Realiti (Demo)

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: I like it.
Dec 13th 2015
I thought of putting a Grimes swipe in my old Grime post - didn't but......
Apr 05th 2019
It's always interesting when an artist hates their own stuff.
Apr 06th 2019
wow. i liked that album
Apr 08th 2019

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Sun Dec-13-15 03:49 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: I like it."
In response to Reply # 0

Like I said elsewhere, its highlights are better than Visions' best songs, but it doesn't hang together as well as Visions. It wasn't really a disappointment, either, considering all the hype and buildup for it, so that was nice.

"You have to laugh at the things that hurt you just to keep yourself in balance."
—Ken Kesey

http://austinato.bandcamp.com

http://www.discogs.com/lists/Favorites-of-2015/222933

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Fri Apr-05-19 04:27 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I thought of putting a Grimes swipe in my old Grime post - didn't but......"
In response to Reply # 0

I'll gladly post this:

https://www.spin.com/2019/04/grimes-interview-art-angels-piece-of-crap/

NEWS \

Grimes Calls Art Angels a “Piece of Crap” and “a Stain on My Life”

James Rettig, Stereogum // April 4, 2019

Grimes has given another interview about her upcoming new album, Miss_Anthropocene. In this one, which was done with Cultured magazine, she has some harsh words for her last album, Art Angels. “The last album was a piece of crap,” she said. “I feel like people really misread it and it feels like a stain on my life.”

Claire “c” Boucher went on to say that she regretted the framing of the album as a pop record, likening it more to a genre exercise. “I just wish I could make music in a vacuum.” Boucher said. “It’s good to make people mad actually, I retract my statement. If you can make people mad without actually hurting anyone, that’s probably a good thing.”

Elsewhere in the interview, she shaded in more detail about her new environmentally-focused album: “It’s sort of about this demon of the end of the world, this character that’s like the Voldemort of climate change. She’s relishing the end of the world, and it’s an album about how great fucking climate change is.”

She talks about a few specific songs again, too, including “So Heavy I Fell Through The Earth,” which this time she says is about “specifically how when a dude comes inside you, you become in their thrall — how it’s an attack on your feminist freedom.” On that note, she continues, referring to her relationship with Elon Musk:

It’s sad how love can be this beautiful thing, but then love is the thing that’s fucking up my career. The biggest change for me this year is losing my hardcore masculinity. I used to just be free—free of all this bullshit that it seemed like all the other girls were going through, and now I feel like I’m not.

A couple other songs are mentioned: A newer one called “Shall I Compare Thee” that Grimes wrote shortly before the interview took place, and another one called “My Name Is Dark,” which Grimes has teased before but still hasn’t been released.

Check out the full interview here:

https://www.culturedmag.com/grimes-claire-boucher-c/

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Sat Apr-06-19 07:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "It's always interesting when an artist hates their own stuff."
In response to Reply # 2

Like a lot of people loved that album, so why publicly shit on it? I mean every artist says something to the effect of "my new shit is far better than my old shit" but this is taking it to the extreme.

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

naame
Charter member
21017 posts
Mon Apr-08-19 11:28 AM

4. "wow. i liked that album "
In response to Reply # 2

I saw that there was a character but didn't get the entire story.

America has imported more warlord theocracy from Afghanistan than it has exported democracy.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2952184Search result list | First match | Last match