Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectAs like the only person rooting for him on here,,
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13369593&mesg_id=13369621
13369621, As like the only person rooting for him on here,,
Posted by kfine, Sun Mar-01-20 07:21 PM
I guess I should respond lol

Yall hate him, I know. But imagine if MSM was reporting this about Bernie out of nowhere? You'd be taken aback and want a safe space to vent. So bear with me on this at minimum as a fellow politics junkie lol.

I'm... a bit shocked, heartbroken, but also angry.

-Shocked, because I was starting to worry this might happen.. but def after ST. Furthermore, this was released kind of shadily... like they're still actively hosting a fundraising drive, posted that memo detailing what they viewed as a path to the nom, and were promoting a rally in TX tonight plus one in MI on ST. PLUS no official word from his campaign or any comms staff about it on twitter.. like at least Steyer put up a tweet. It's just very, very, unlike the campaign and leads me to believe that this decision came from HIGH fucking up. Like, a call directly from Obama or perhaps through Carter, who Pete met with this morning (which I'll come back to later about why this angers me). It may have also been the Dem estab that leaked to the media ahead of the campaign too, to make it binding.

-Heartbroken.. largely because I truly do believe he was the best candidate in terms of his specific platform, character, and the fact that I don't think Boomers should be trusted to drive themselves long distances anymore talk more of holding elected office (lol). I was also excited for someone from my generation to finally step up and go for this level of leadership. Unlike many, I *don't* believe decades stewing in DC is necessarily a good thing, I think Biden and Bernie's obvious cognitive decline and cardiovascular issues (respectively) are disqualifying, and I just personally think our generation is a lot smarter and better adapted to modern times to forge a new path ahead. His messaging and platform resonated with me A LOT.

-Angry for 2 main reasons:
-1, I'm fucking sick of how the Dem establishment ALWAYS does him like this lol. When he ran for DNC chair, he got pressured from the left (directly from Bernie, for Keith Ellison) AND Center (directly from Obama, for Tom Perez) to drop out so those 2 could duke it out on the next ballot. He dropped out immediately. He spent time since helping out Dems in other races and, in general, has simply been a good Dem. The idea of them pulling that shit on him again disgusts me. I don't think they have a good read on shit (as per '16), and I'm not confident that either Biden or Bernie would win against 45 ( which I vent about here
https://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13367410&mesg_id=13367410&page=2#13368575).

-2, the level of homophobia and general dehumanization that was thrown at this man was truly disgusting. He received death threats, calls to be hung. The first response under one of the MSM tweets about this was someone calling him a fa**ot. It was a lot. And frustrating since he intentionally ran one of the most positive campaigns this cycle (https://peteforamerica.com/rules-of-the-road/). It was very disappointing/discouraging to see, but their ongoing moral leadership in that regard was another draw to the campaign.

So ya. End rant. Onward I guess. I'll still follow the blow by blow, but mostly just for the stats and the odd policy/politics critiques as I've been doing lol.