Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectiono fam lol. it tracks with some tangible voter behavior we have imo.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13344033&mesg_id=13344493
13344493, iono fam lol. it tracks with some tangible voter behavior we have imo.
Posted by Reeq, Thu Aug-22-19 05:15 PM
https://twitter.com/Grace_Segers/status/1113081309927178242
---------
A majority of donors to Bernie Sanders campaign are under age 39. Teachers are the profession with most number of donors.
---------

thats a pretty astounding stat.

the majority of bernie donors being from an age demo that doesnt particularly turn out strong in the primaries really spells out his struggles this go round.

hes obviously energizing the youth. hes not doing anywhere near as good a job with the folks who actually cast the votes.

>Remember how Sanders was leading by double digits before Biden
>announced? I think Biden announced and literally stole those
>entire bars from Bernie's chart.
>
>Tbh my hunch was actually reinforced further by one of "your"
>links in that other poll post:
>
>https://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13342507&mesg_id=13342507&page=#13344066
>
>where you shared the figure from that poll where the top 2nd
>choice of both Biden and Sanders supporters was each other. I
>think it's STRICTLY Boomers converging on Biden and Sanders.

i think a lot of what you detail here boils down to name recognition too. bernie and biden are the only previously-known national figures in the race (a large reason for starting out top 2). so a lot of casual 'low info' voters recognize them more than the others. so i think its a case of people just going with the next known quantity (even tho they are at completely different ends of the spectrum).

meanwhile...the lesser known candidates (whose needle is moved further by better-informed and more-educated voters who drill down on politics) actually make more sense. warren voters choose sanders (progressive). kamala/p booty voters choose liz (basically candidate quality over name value).

>Boomers seem to be rooting almost exclusively for other
>Boomers; mostly 1)Biden 2) Sanders and 3) Warren (the donor
>analysis I linked above shows a surprisingly large proportion
>of Warren's donors have been 65+)

why do you think sanders isnt at least in 2nd place among older voters? warren almost doubles him in 50+ and quadruples his support in 65+.

it seems kinda hard to say bernie isnt struggling with older voters when *warren* also does better than him in both age groups over 50 (especially 65+). its an even bigger red flag imo when you figure those groups are the most socially conservative and shes doing better running to the left of bernie on many issues and is also a woman.

imo...bernie is running a more activist-centric campaign which plays well to radical-change-oriented young voters but is constricting his appeal. warren is doing a better job of connecting more with progressives in general (liberal/very liberal voters) and also older retirees, parents, etc.