Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2670863

Subject: "2018 College Football Post - Redux" Previous topic | Next topic
mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44720 posts
Thu Aug-16-18 04:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"2018 College Football Post - Redux"
Thu Aug-16-18 06:25 PM by CyrenYoung

We're still having technical difficulties with the o.g. post that we're trying to solve. In the meantime, feel free to (re-)start any discussion of the upcoming season right here.

link to the previous thread (under construction):

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2669223&mesg_id=2669223&listing_type=search

Sorry for any inconvenience.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Schedule predictions?
Aug 16th 2018
GT
Aug 16th 2018
Tennessee Volunteers: 5-7
Aug 16th 2018
2-6 in conference?
Aug 16th 2018
well, that's improvement over 0-8
Aug 16th 2018
Charlotte?? That's fbs? Uncc? Hmm
Aug 16th 2018
Ugh....
Aug 17th 2018
Syracuse
Aug 17th 2018
ARKANSAS & ARIZONA ST PREDICTIONS
Aug 17th 2018
dont see why with their qb healthy
Aug 17th 2018
      RE: dont see why with their qb healthy
Aug 18th 2018
           RE: dont see why with their qb healthy
Aug 18th 2018
           i drove solo from Detroit to South Bend for GT-ND 2015
Aug 18th 2018
                bought the tickets, im going
Aug 19th 2018
Brohm Squad
Aug 17th 2018
i want Purdue to be good so bad
Aug 18th 2018
Nebraska 7-5
Aug 18th 2018
if Auburn can somehow win more than 8, they're special
Aug 22nd 2018
      okay a few things here
Aug 22nd 2018
           because context matters never!
Aug 22nd 2018
Sports Illustrated Preseason All-American Team
Aug 17th 2018
smh Michigan has 2 DE better than Bosa. And Bush is SUPER legit.
Aug 18th 2018
I did watch Gary a good bit
Aug 18th 2018
im not sure what Chase Winovich will be in the NFL
Aug 18th 2018
good grief
Aug 18th 2018
      he still thinks Tate Forcier >> Pryor
Aug 18th 2018
      i checked the post and i never said that thank god lmao
Aug 18th 2018
      lol, my bad. didnt mean to spread #fakenews
Aug 18th 2018
           i mean...i DID have to check lol
Aug 19th 2018
      LOL
Aug 22nd 2018
      thats not outlandish
Aug 18th 2018
If FSU can keep Francois out of a coffin he might sneak in there
Aug 18th 2018
      big if.
Aug 22nd 2018
Pac12 net replayed 2004 Cal @ USC game
Aug 21st 2018

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35266 posts
Thu Aug-16-18 05:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Schedule predictions?"
In response to Reply # 0

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

cgonz00cc
35266 posts
Thu Aug-16-18 05:46 PM

2. "GT"
In response to Reply # 1

GT with 9.5 starters coming back on offense. The half is OT Andrew Marshall a 2016 starter who missed the entire year last year. Unfortunately the other starter lost was our home run WR. Its kinda been next man up for a while (and on the low PJ has put 6 WR in the league) so hopefully that wont be a biggie. That being said...im expecting a big year. New DC im actually excited about (Nate Woody, App St, 3-4) and all of our best recruits have been hybrid LB types the last few years. So...

Sep 1 ALCN
blowout

Sep 8 @USF
blowout

Sep 15 @PITT
W - their offense wont keep up. double digit win.

Sep 22 CLEM
L - the kind of L im still pissed about at Thanksgiving. they will not blow us out, but they will slam the door in our face in a definitive way in the 4th quarter. a nut crushing fumble with a chance to go up 14-0 in the 1st quarter sounds about right.

Sep 29 BGSU
blowout

Oct 5 @LOU
W - they havent seen our offense before and we are bringing back 2 1000 yd rushers. last time that happened we won the ACC (Dwyer, Nesbitt 2009). Add a new QB for them with no tape on our defense and I like our odds here.

Oct 13 DUKE
W - some bad things have happened vs Duke lately, but not this year, and not at home.

Oct 25 @VT
L - VT hasnt lost 3 in a row to us since they joined the ACC, and with Fuente and Jackson each in year 2 I expect them to put too much pressure on our totally new secondary (all 5 starters to replace). Also Bud Foster vs PJ is a season highlight for me

Nov 3 @UNC
W - that was kinda fun while it lasted. also kinda not.

Nov 10 MIAMI
W - We gotta beat Mark Richt in ATL at some point, right? Last year's loss to Miami was basically a farce played in a mud pit with a circus play to swing the game. Interior running wins this one.

Nov 17 UVA
W - blow out

Nov 24 @UGA
L - This wont be last year's game against an emotionally and physically drained team. We will come in feeling good and compete, but i dont think our DL is as physically large as it will need to be in the 3-4, and UGA will attack that. Marshall makes some plays to keep it a game in the 4th, but we wont be able to get the ball back when we need it.

Final record: 9-3 with all 3 losses to top 10 teams. Good a chance as anyone else to make the ACC Championship, but that permanent Clemson game is killing us at the moment. Sure would be nice to cross over with Wake and BC, but FSU plays Miami and VT this year. They can really help us out. Or we can help ourselves out and not lose to VT, but 3 in a row in Blacksburg and 4 out of 5 overall seems too ambitious

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

will_5198
Charter member
63112 posts
Thu Aug-16-18 07:11 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Tennessee Volunteers: 5-7"
In response to Reply # 1

not much known about Pruitt and his ability to CEO on game-days (Butch Jones was really bad at it), so anything close will be a coin flip.

no QB announced yet; I wasn't very impressed with Keller Chryst at Stanford, especially since he had a great o-line, running back weapons and was still mediocre. Guarantano was a big Butch recruiting victory that didn't show much last year (granted, dumpster fire all-around).

regardless, this is not a very talented team and I expect any wins they get to be a struggle.

West Virginia -- L
ETSU -- W
UTEP -- W
Florida -- L
Georgia -- L
Auburn -- L
Alabama -- L
South Carolina -- L
Charlotte -- W
Kentucky -- W
Missouri -- L
Vanderbilt -- W

--------

cgonz00cc
35266 posts
Thu Aug-16-18 07:33 PM

4. "2-6 in conference?"
In response to Reply # 3

damn

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

will_5198
Charter member
63112 posts
Thu Aug-16-18 07:40 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "well, that's improvement over 0-8"
In response to Reply # 4

this team ain't good...maybe four starters that match up with most of the SEC, and the depth is shocking

Butch was a big non-developer of highly starred talent (2016 team with Jalen Hurd-Alvin Kamara-John Kelly...had the 7th best rush offense in the SEC, behind Kentucky), so here's hoping Pruitt is the opposite and some guys actually improve

--------

calminvasion
Charter member
12575 posts
Thu Aug-16-18 09:51 PM

6. "Charlotte?? That's fbs? Uncc? Hmm"
In response to Reply # 3

Frank Mackey
Member since May 23rd 2006
2903 posts
Fri Aug-17-18 09:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "Ugh...."
In response to Reply # 3

A decade of this shit. Brutal.

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18642 posts
Fri Aug-17-18 08:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "Syracuse"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri Aug-17-18 08:41 AM by DJR

@ Western Michigan - W
Wagner - W
Florida State - L - I do think this is a possible upset though. Should’ve beaten them last year, it’s home, and it’s early so lack of depth and being worn out/beaten up won’t be a factor yet.
UConn - W
@ Clemson - L
@ Pitt - L
UNC - W
NC State - L
@ Wake - W
Louisville - W
@ ND - L
@ BC - L

Last years team started 4-5 but with 3 losses that were close right to the end at Miami, FSU, and LSU and with a win over Clemson. Easily could’ve been sitting at 6-3 or 7-2 with multiple great wins. Then the roof caved in the last 3 games as lack of depth and injuries decimated the team.

I’m not sure the depth is a whole lot better but the OL is better, and a Star senior QB with a legit talented backup(important because Dungey has gotten hurt every season) will be enough to get them to a bowl.

HecticHavoc
Member since May 13th 2005
7591 posts
Fri Aug-17-18 09:46 AM

9. "ARKANSAS & ARIZONA ST PREDICTIONS"
In response to Reply # 1

ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS!!
---------------------
vs EIU -- whew. easy win here in the new era
@ Colorado St -- another easy win. i might drive up and go to this game. might not.
vs UNT -- Hogs are hot off the press for a 3-0 start.
@ Auburn -- colossal beat down. Hogs wont be able to score or stop the Vests.
vs TA&M -- im going W here. TAM is going to struggle transitioning to a power run team. plus, with the 5 years straight of losing second half two score leads, the Hogs close this one.
vs Alabama -- lol
vs Ole Miss -- L here. Rebels are sneaky good right now
vs Tulsa -- easy W
vs VAN -- zoom zoom like the Commodores (c) Hitman -- W
vs LSU -- L. Golden Boot will be won, but not this year
@ Miss St -- L. Hogs dont win in 'ssippi this year.
@ Mizz -- W.

solid first year for Chad Morris, and he is building a good foundation
----------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
ARIZONA STATE PLAY TO WIN THE GAME SUN DEVILS!!
vs UTSA -- W
vs Michigan St -- W. those slow, corn fed fat 4.7 40 RBs wont gain yards on this updated defense
@ SDSU -- W
@ Washingon -- L
vs Oregon St -- W
@ Colorado -- W. Herms big road win
vs Stanford -- L
@ USC -- L
vs Utah -- L
vs UCLA -- W. breaks the losing streak
@ Oregon -- W. Oregon falls off really hard this year
@ Arizona -- W. i cannot WAIT for this game.

-----------------------------------------

3xKrazy
Charter member
21584 posts
Fri Aug-17-18 06:31 PM

11. "dont see why with their qb healthy"
In response to Reply # 9

>@ Oregon -- W. Oregon falls off really hard this year

HecticHavoc
7591 posts
Sat Aug-18-18 10:29 AM

14. "RE: dont see why with their qb healthy"
In response to Reply # 11

>
>>@ Oregon -- W. Oregon falls off really hard this year
>

Yeah I wanted to say one or two dumb things in my post, you know me.

BTW have you ever driven to another state and gone to a game? I've never seen Arkansas play and this is probably the closest game to me theyll play. But on paper it seems weird to drive to another state and go to a game, most likely solo. I'm about 80% committed

3xKrazy
Charter member
21584 posts
Sat Aug-18-18 02:06 PM

19. "RE: dont see why with their qb healthy"
In response to Reply # 14

>BTW have you ever driven to another state and gone to a game?

yep, but never solo.

OSU at UT Austin is the highlight of my away game experiences.

OSU at Rutgers was the low point.

cgonz00cc
35266 posts
Sat Aug-18-18 09:10 PM

24. "i drove solo from Detroit to South Bend for GT-ND 2015"
In response to Reply # 14

game didnt go the right way but i love going to ND

ive seen Tech play there twice and Michigan once, always driving from Detroit to ND.

also drove from ATL to Auburn-UGA 2004 and Clemson-Tech 2000. the latter was a top 5 live CFB experience for life.

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

HecticHavoc
7591 posts
Sun Aug-19-18 10:35 AM

27. "bought the tickets, im going"
In response to Reply # 24

bought 3 in the chance someone rolls with. very excited

calminvasion
Charter member
12575 posts
Fri Aug-17-18 07:32 PM

12. "Brohm Squad"
In response to Reply # 1

Northwestern – Tossup/W {It’s a toss up, but @ home night game to start the season, so I’m hoping that Brohm magic will come thru and overcome what is likely a talent disadvantage at least outside of the skill positions}

Eastern MI - W
Mizzu – W { We blow them out by 40 on the road last year, which means they’ll be motivated, and we lost a lot of talent on defense (we’re probably better on offense) I’m guessing it will be close, but my optimistic take is a win}
Boston College - L {Seem to be solid squad all around, and as many questions marks as we have on D, no way we finish 4-0
Nebraska – L {might be pleasantly surprised, but a road game and Frost will have immediate impact}
IL - W
OSU – L
MSU – L
Iowa – L {went back and forth on this one, we beat them on the road last year, can we do back2back?}
Minn – W
Wiscy – L
IU - W
6-6, which against a pre-season top 5 SOS, and losing entire defense is actually a great accomplishment, I think 5-7, 6-6, or 7-5 is the tight window of possibilities.
Brohm rules!

cgonz00cc
35266 posts
Sat Aug-18-18 07:35 PM

23. "i want Purdue to be good so bad"
In response to Reply # 12

i have no real hate for them, and the West cant just be Wisconsin forever

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

DeepAztheRoot
Member since Dec 19th 2003
13992 posts
Sat Aug-18-18 09:14 PM

25. "Nebraska 7-5"
In response to Reply # 1

Sept. 1 vs. Akron Win

Besides the dead-man walking win over Lovie Smith and IL, Terry Bowden should provide the easiest win of the year

Sept. 8 vs. Colorado Win

Dipshit Colorado fans can't throw batteries and slash tires in Lincoln without consequences

Sept. 15 vs. Troy Close Win Possible trap game before Michigan, Troy is not a pushover as LSU can attest to

Sept. 22 at No. 17 Michigan Loss, They won't be ready to attack a Top 5 defense in the nation and I expect the Wolverine offense to be better too.

Sept. 29 vs. Purdue Win Brohm has a good thing going but Frost will have a decided edge in overall talent

Oct. 6 at No. 6 Wisconsin Close Loss, I'm not yet sold on Wisky D after losing a lot of talent and I think Frost's offense will cause a few problems but the Badgers do enough to win

Oct. 13 at Northwestern Close Win, Nebraska's home game in Evanston but these two teams always play close.

Oct. 20 vs. Minnesota Win, the shine will be off Fleck after this game if not before. I think Nebraska will boat race the Gophers.

Nov. 3 at No. 4 Ohio State Loss Another brutally difficult road game, Nebraska can do better than 62-3 loss from last year but they don't have the horses to compete with the Bucks, Urban or not.

Nov. 10 vs. Illinois Win

Nov. 17 vs. No. 16 Michigan State Close Loss, I see D'antonio's D forcing turnovers and doing enough on offense with Lewerke, Scott, and "Ironhead" Heyward's son to salt the game away

Nov. 23 at Iowa (Friday) Close Loss, I expect it to be brutally cold in Iowa City like it usually is in late November, passing will be at a premium and Iowa's conservative offense and penchant for not turning the ball over gets it done. If TE Noah Fant has a big day, it will smart the fan base.

One of the most difficult schedules in team history, especially on the road, I'd be happy with 7-5. Schedule lightens up a big next year. I'll have to look and see if Indiana is on it. Nebraska has played Georgia and UCLA more times than the Hoosiers since joining the Big Ten in 2010.

<-Fear Ameer

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18387 posts
Wed Aug-22-18 10:44 AM

32. "if Auburn can somehow win more than 8, they're special"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed Aug-22-18 10:44 AM by Tiger Woods

that's one of the tougher schedules I've seen in a long time

cgonz00cc
35266 posts
Wed Aug-22-18 02:37 PM

33. "okay a few things here"
In response to Reply # 32

1) no one special wins 9 games
2) post their whole schedule and your prediction
3) it bears repeating, no one special wins 9 games

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

HecticHavoc
7591 posts
Wed Aug-22-18 04:18 PM

34. "because context matters never!"
In response to Reply # 33

will_5198
Charter member
63112 posts
Fri Aug-17-18 05:42 PM

10. "Sports Illustrated Preseason All-American Team"
In response to Reply # 0

QB Will Grier, WVU

- Not sure if everyone is just looking at depth charts and his raw numbers, because he was erratic to me last year. didn't really show up *huge* in big games and compiled most of his stats. makes some wild decisions and extends plays for better and worse.

WR A.J. Brown, Ole Miss
WR David Sills V, WVU

- Brown is on my NFL draft hit list already...I have no idea how he got pumped up as a first-rounder. he caught a lot of passes against bad teams and linebackers, while the rest of his teammates did the hard work.

RB Bryce Love, Stanford
RB Jonathan Taylor, Wisconsin
TE Noah Fant, Iowa

OT Trey Adams, Washington
OT Jonah Williams, Alabama
OG Beau Benzschawel, Wisconsin
OG Nate Herbig, Stanford
C Ross Pierschbacher, Alabama

- Adams is a bit overrated; Williams is a good degree better.

DE Nick Bosa, Ohio State
DT Ed Oliver, Houston
DT Christian Wilkins, Clemson
DE Clelin Ferrell, Clemson

- The second-team AA at defensive line will be better than practically every other position group. loaded lines everywhere. Ferrell is the best Clemson defender.

LB Devin Bush, Michigan
LB Cameron Smith, USC
LB Devin White, LSU

- White is a BEAST. cotdamn is he fun to watch, and with more experience (former RB) he is going to be fucking everywhere this season. Cam Smith is a very good college player who has some NFL limitations. didn't watch much Michigan last season.

CB Greedy Williams, LSU
CB Deandre Baker, Georgia
S Taylor Rapp, Washington
S Jaquan Johnson, Miami-FL

- Williams is super talented but a little raw in his technique, Baker plays his role in Smart's system perfectly but is not that talented. Rapp is fun. Johnson is down the list in pure talent, even on his own team, but he's a smart guy who is in the right place a lot.

K Rodrigo Blankenship, Georgia
P Mitch Wishnowsky, Utah
AP Deebo Samuel, South Carolina

- Deebo is another SEC receiver better than A.J. Brown...

--------

cgonz00cc
35266 posts
Sat Aug-18-18 10:28 AM

13. "smh Michigan has 2 DE better than Bosa. And Bush is SUPER legit."
In response to Reply # 10

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

will_5198
Charter member
63112 posts
Sat Aug-18-18 10:40 AM

15. "I did watch Gary a good bit"
In response to Reply # 13

not sure about that

--------

cgonz00cc
35266 posts
Sat Aug-18-18 10:45 AM

17. "im not sure what Chase Winovich will be in the NFL"
In response to Reply # 15

but he is a monster. one of the most underrated guys in the country even after 1st team AllB1G.

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

3xKrazy
Charter member
21584 posts
Sat Aug-18-18 02:04 PM

18. "good grief"
In response to Reply # 13

guru0509
Charter member
45358 posts
Sat Aug-18-18 04:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "he still thinks Tate Forcier >> Pryor"
In response to Reply # 18

let them be

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

cgonz00cc
35266 posts
Sat Aug-18-18 07:33 PM

21. "i checked the post and i never said that thank god lmao"
In response to Reply # 20

i made a comment on one forcier throw, talked about Pryor not taking a big step, and then big upped Josh muthafuckin Nesbitt

took a big ol L on Michigan's 09 defense tho

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

guru0509
Charter member
45358 posts
Sat Aug-18-18 10:07 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
26. "lol, my bad. didnt mean to spread #fakenews"
In response to Reply # 21

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

cgonz00cc
35266 posts
Sun Aug-19-18 11:16 AM

28. "i mean...i DID have to check lol"
In response to Reply # 26

i was furiously cycling thru my ctrl+f "cgonz00cc" hits

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66746 posts
Wed Aug-22-18 08:24 AM

30. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 20

What a time to be alive

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

cgonz00cc
35266 posts
Sat Aug-18-18 07:34 PM

22. "thats not outlandish"
In response to Reply # 18

Winovich and Gary might actually be the 2 best DE in the Big10

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

cgonz00cc
35266 posts
Sat Aug-18-18 10:43 AM

16. "If FSU can keep Francois out of a coffin he might sneak in there"
In response to Reply # 10

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85077 posts
Wed Aug-22-18 10:27 AM

31. "big if."
In response to Reply # 16

<--- Big Baller World Order

HecticHavoc
7591 posts
Tue Aug-21-18 04:35 PM

29. "Pac12 net replayed 2004 Cal @ USC game"
In response to Reply # 0

this game was incredible.

Aaron Rodgers started 23/23. next throw is a thrown away incompletion.

true freshman Marshawn Lynch
the USC Superteam, too many to name
but the Cal team was really solid. Rodgers was insane, during the show he kinda brags that he was at one point 29/31 with two throw aways. he had a pretty funny mechanic where he held the ball way up near his chin, I dont know if he did this just for this game or his whole career.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2670863 Previous topic | Next topic