Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subject2018 College Football Post - Redux
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2670863
2670863, 2018 College Football Post - Redux
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Aug-16-18 04:30 PM
We're still having technical difficulties with the o.g. post that we're trying to solve. In the meantime, feel free to (re-)start any discussion of the upcoming season right here.

link to the previous thread (under construction):

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2669223&mesg_id=2669223&listing_type=search

Sorry for any inconvenience.
2670869, Schedule predictions?
Posted by cgonz00cc, Thu Aug-16-18 05:45 PM
2670870, GT
Posted by cgonz00cc, Thu Aug-16-18 05:46 PM

GT with 9.5 starters coming back on offense. The half is OT Andrew Marshall a 2016 starter who missed the entire year last year. Unfortunately the other starter lost was our home run WR. Its kinda been next man up for a while (and on the low PJ has put 6 WR in the league) so hopefully that wont be a biggie. That being said...im expecting a big year. New DC im actually excited about (Nate Woody, App St, 3-4) and all of our best recruits have been hybrid LB types the last few years. So...

Sep 1 ALCN
blowout

Sep 8 @USF
blowout

Sep 15 @PITT
W - their offense wont keep up. double digit win.

Sep 22 CLEM
L - the kind of L im still pissed about at Thanksgiving. they will not blow us out, but they will slam the door in our face in a definitive way in the 4th quarter. a nut crushing fumble with a chance to go up 14-0 in the 1st quarter sounds about right.

Sep 29 BGSU
blowout

Oct 5 @LOU
W - they havent seen our offense before and we are bringing back 2 1000 yd rushers. last time that happened we won the ACC (Dwyer, Nesbitt 2009). Add a new QB for them with no tape on our defense and I like our odds here.

Oct 13 DUKE
W - some bad things have happened vs Duke lately, but not this year, and not at home.

Oct 25 @VT
L - VT hasnt lost 3 in a row to us since they joined the ACC, and with Fuente and Jackson each in year 2 I expect them to put too much pressure on our totally new secondary (all 5 starters to replace). Also Bud Foster vs PJ is a season highlight for me

Nov 3 @UNC
W - that was kinda fun while it lasted. also kinda not.

Nov 10 MIAMI
W - We gotta beat Mark Richt in ATL at some point, right? Last year's loss to Miami was basically a farce played in a mud pit with a circus play to swing the game. Interior running wins this one.

Nov 17 UVA
W - blow out

Nov 24 @UGA
L - This wont be last year's game against an emotionally and physically drained team. We will come in feeling good and compete, but i dont think our DL is as physically large as it will need to be in the 3-4, and UGA will attack that. Marshall makes some plays to keep it a game in the 4th, but we wont be able to get the ball back when we need it.

Final record: 9-3 with all 3 losses to top 10 teams. Good a chance as anyone else to make the ACC Championship, but that permanent Clemson game is killing us at the moment. Sure would be nice to cross over with Wake and BC, but FSU plays Miami and VT this year. They can really help us out. Or we can help ourselves out and not lose to VT, but 3 in a row in Blacksburg and 4 out of 5 overall seems too ambitious
2670882, Tennessee Volunteers: 5-7
Posted by will_5198, Thu Aug-16-18 07:11 PM
not much known about Pruitt and his ability to CEO on game-days (Butch Jones was really bad at it), so anything close will be a coin flip.

no QB announced yet; I wasn't very impressed with Keller Chryst at Stanford, especially since he had a great o-line, running back weapons and was still mediocre. Guarantano was a big Butch recruiting victory that didn't show much last year (granted, dumpster fire all-around).

regardless, this is not a very talented team and I expect any wins they get to be a struggle.

West Virginia -- L
ETSU -- W
UTEP -- W
Florida -- L
Georgia -- L
Auburn -- L
Alabama -- L
South Carolina -- L
Charlotte -- W
Kentucky -- W
Missouri -- L
Vanderbilt -- W
2670887, 2-6 in conference?
Posted by cgonz00cc, Thu Aug-16-18 07:33 PM
damn :(
2670889, well, that's improvement over 0-8
Posted by will_5198, Thu Aug-16-18 07:40 PM
this team ain't good...maybe four starters that match up with most of the SEC, and the depth is shocking

Butch was a big non-developer of highly starred talent (2016 team with Jalen Hurd-Alvin Kamara-John Kelly...had the 7th best rush offense in the SEC, behind Kentucky), so here's hoping Pruitt is the opposite and some guys actually improve
2670901, Charlotte?? That's fbs? Uncc? Hmm
Posted by calminvasion, Thu Aug-16-18 09:51 PM
2670919, Ugh....
Posted by Frank Mackey, Fri Aug-17-18 09:30 AM
A decade of this shit. Brutal.
2670913, Syracuse
Posted by DJR, Fri Aug-17-18 08:33 AM
@ Western Michigan - W
Wagner - W
Florida State - L - I do think this is a possible upset though. Should’ve beaten them last year, it’s home, and it’s early so lack of depth and being worn out/beaten up won’t be a factor yet.
UConn - W
@ Clemson - L
@ Pitt - L
UNC - W
NC State - L
@ Wake - W
Louisville - W
@ ND - L
@ BC - L

Last years team started 4-5 but with 3 losses that were close right to the end at Miami, FSU, and LSU and with a win over Clemson. Easily could’ve been sitting at 6-3 or 7-2 with multiple great wins. Then the roof caved in the last 3 games as lack of depth and injuries decimated the team.

I’m not sure the depth is a whole lot better but the OL is better, and a Star senior QB with a legit talented backup(important because Dungey has gotten hurt every season) will be enough to get them to a bowl.
2670922, ARKANSAS & ARIZONA ST PREDICTIONS
Posted by HecticHavoc, Fri Aug-17-18 09:46 AM
ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS!!
---------------------
vs EIU -- whew. easy win here in the new era
@ Colorado St -- another easy win. i might drive up and go to this game. might not.
vs UNT -- Hogs are hot off the press for a 3-0 start.
@ Auburn -- colossal beat down. Hogs wont be able to score or stop the Vests.
vs TA&M -- im going W here. TAM is going to struggle transitioning to a power run team. plus, with the 5 years straight of losing second half two score leads, the Hogs close this one.
vs Alabama -- lol
vs Ole Miss -- L here. Rebels are sneaky good right now
vs Tulsa -- easy W
vs VAN -- zoom zoom like the Commodores (c) Hitman -- W
vs LSU -- L. Golden Boot will be won, but not this year
@ Miss St -- L. Hogs dont win in 'ssippi this year.
@ Mizz -- W.

solid first year for Chad Morris, and he is building a good foundation
----------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
ARIZONA STATE PLAY TO WIN THE GAME SUN DEVILS!!
vs UTSA -- W
vs Michigan St -- W. those slow, corn fed fat 4.7 40 RBs wont gain yards on this updated defense
@ SDSU -- W
@ Washingon -- L
vs Oregon St -- W
@ Colorado -- W. Herms big road win
vs Stanford -- L
@ USC -- L
vs Utah -- L
vs UCLA -- W. breaks the losing streak
@ Oregon -- W. Oregon falls off really hard this year
@ Arizona -- W. i cannot WAIT for this game.
2670958, dont see why with their qb healthy
Posted by 3xKrazy, Fri Aug-17-18 06:31 PM

>@ Oregon -- W. Oregon falls off really hard this year
2670979, RE: dont see why with their qb healthy
Posted by HecticHavoc, Sat Aug-18-18 10:29 AM
>
>>@ Oregon -- W. Oregon falls off really hard this year
>

Yeah I wanted to say one or two dumb things in my post, you know me.

BTW have you ever driven to another state and gone to a game? I've never seen Arkansas play and this is probably the closest game to me theyll play. But on paper it seems weird to drive to another state and go to a game, most likely solo. I'm about 80% committed
2671004, RE: dont see why with their qb healthy
Posted by 3xKrazy, Sat Aug-18-18 02:06 PM

>BTW have you ever driven to another state and gone to a game?

yep, but never solo.

OSU at UT Austin is the highlight of my away game experiences.

OSU at Rutgers was the low point.
2671032, i drove solo from Detroit to South Bend for GT-ND 2015
Posted by cgonz00cc, Sat Aug-18-18 09:10 PM
game didnt go the right way but i love going to ND

ive seen Tech play there twice and Michigan once, always driving from Detroit to ND.

also drove from ATL to Auburn-UGA 2004 and Clemson-Tech 2000. the latter was a top 5 live CFB experience for life.
2671047, bought the tickets, im going
Posted by HecticHavoc, Sun Aug-19-18 10:35 AM
bought 3 in the chance someone rolls with. very excited
2670960, Brohm Squad
Posted by calminvasion, Fri Aug-17-18 07:32 PM
Northwestern – Tossup/W {It’s a toss up, but @ home night game to start the season, so I’m hoping that Brohm magic will come thru and overcome what is likely a talent disadvantage at least outside of the skill positions}

Eastern MI - W
Mizzu – W { We blow them out by 40 on the road last year, which means they’ll be motivated, and we lost a lot of talent on defense (we’re probably better on offense) I’m guessing it will be close, but my optimistic take is a win}
Boston College - L {Seem to be solid squad all around, and as many questions marks as we have on D, no way we finish 4-0
Nebraska – L {might be pleasantly surprised, but a road game and Frost will have immediate impact}
IL - W
OSU – L
MSU – L
Iowa – L {went back and forth on this one, we beat them on the road last year, can we do back2back?}
Minn – W
Wiscy – L
IU - W
6-6, which against a pre-season top 5 SOS, and losing entire defense is actually a great accomplishment, I think 5-7, 6-6, or 7-5 is the tight window of possibilities.
Brohm rules!
2671027, i want Purdue to be good so bad
Posted by cgonz00cc, Sat Aug-18-18 07:35 PM
i have no real hate for them, and the West cant just be Wisconsin forever
2671033, Nebraska 7-5
Posted by DeepAztheRoot, Sat Aug-18-18 09:14 PM
Sept. 1 vs. Akron Win

Besides the dead-man walking win over Lovie Smith and IL, Terry Bowden should provide the easiest win of the year

Sept. 8 vs. Colorado Win

Dipshit Colorado fans can't throw batteries and slash tires in Lincoln without consequences

Sept. 15 vs. Troy Close Win Possible trap game before Michigan, Troy is not a pushover as LSU can attest to

Sept. 22 at No. 17 Michigan Loss, They won't be ready to attack a Top 5 defense in the nation and I expect the Wolverine offense to be better too.

Sept. 29 vs. Purdue Win Brohm has a good thing going but Frost will have a decided edge in overall talent

Oct. 6 at No. 6 Wisconsin Close Loss, I'm not yet sold on Wisky D after losing a lot of talent and I think Frost's offense will cause a few problems but the Badgers do enough to win

Oct. 13 at Northwestern Close Win, Nebraska's home game in Evanston but these two teams always play close.

Oct. 20 vs. Minnesota Win, the shine will be off Fleck after this game if not before. I think Nebraska will boat race the Gophers.

Nov. 3 at No. 4 Ohio State Loss Another brutally difficult road game, Nebraska can do better than 62-3 loss from last year but they don't have the horses to compete with the Bucks, Urban or not.

Nov. 10 vs. Illinois Win

Nov. 17 vs. No. 16 Michigan State Close Loss, I see D'antonio's D forcing turnovers and doing enough on offense with Lewerke, Scott, and "Ironhead" Heyward's son to salt the game away

Nov. 23 at Iowa (Friday) Close Loss, I expect it to be brutally cold in Iowa City like it usually is in late November, passing will be at a premium and Iowa's conservative offense and penchant for not turning the ball over gets it done. If TE Noah Fant has a big day, it will smart the fan base.

One of the most difficult schedules in team history, especially on the road, I'd be happy with 7-5. Schedule lightens up a big next year. I'll have to look and see if Indiana is on it. Nebraska has played Georgia and UCLA more times than the Hoosiers since joining the Big Ten in 2010.
2671267, if Auburn can somehow win more than 8, they're special
Posted by Tiger Woods, Wed Aug-22-18 10:44 AM
that's one of the tougher schedules I've seen in a long time
2671271, okay a few things here
Posted by cgonz00cc, Wed Aug-22-18 02:37 PM
1) no one special wins 9 games
2) post their whole schedule and your prediction
3) it bears repeating, no one special wins 9 games
2671283, because context matters never!
Posted by HecticHavoc, Wed Aug-22-18 04:18 PM
2670954, Sports Illustrated Preseason All-American Team
Posted by will_5198, Fri Aug-17-18 05:42 PM
QB Will Grier, WVU

- Not sure if everyone is just looking at depth charts and his raw numbers, because he was erratic to me last year. didn't really show up *huge* in big games and compiled most of his stats. makes some wild decisions and extends plays for better and worse.

WR A.J. Brown, Ole Miss
WR David Sills V, WVU

- Brown is on my NFL draft hit list already...I have no idea how he got pumped up as a first-rounder. he caught a lot of passes against bad teams and linebackers, while the rest of his teammates did the hard work.

RB Bryce Love, Stanford
RB Jonathan Taylor, Wisconsin
TE Noah Fant, Iowa

OT Trey Adams, Washington
OT Jonah Williams, Alabama
OG Beau Benzschawel, Wisconsin
OG Nate Herbig, Stanford
C Ross Pierschbacher, Alabama

- Adams is a bit overrated; Williams is a good degree better.

DE Nick Bosa, Ohio State
DT Ed Oliver, Houston
DT Christian Wilkins, Clemson
DE Clelin Ferrell, Clemson

- The second-team AA at defensive line will be better than practically every other position group. loaded lines everywhere. Ferrell is the best Clemson defender.

LB Devin Bush, Michigan
LB Cameron Smith, USC
LB Devin White, LSU

- White is a BEAST. cotdamn is he fun to watch, and with more experience (former RB) he is going to be fucking everywhere this season. Cam Smith is a very good college player who has some NFL limitations. didn't watch much Michigan last season.

CB Greedy Williams, LSU
CB Deandre Baker, Georgia
S Taylor Rapp, Washington
S Jaquan Johnson, Miami-FL

- Williams is super talented but a little raw in his technique, Baker plays his role in Smart's system perfectly but is not that talented. Rapp is fun. Johnson is down the list in pure talent, even on his own team, but he's a smart guy who is in the right place a lot.

K Rodrigo Blankenship, Georgia
P Mitch Wishnowsky, Utah
AP Deebo Samuel, South Carolina

- Deebo is another SEC receiver better than A.J. Brown...
2670978, smh Michigan has 2 DE better than Bosa. And Bush is SUPER legit.
Posted by cgonz00cc, Sat Aug-18-18 10:28 AM
2670980, I did watch Gary a good bit
Posted by will_5198, Sat Aug-18-18 10:40 AM
not sure about that
2670982, im not sure what Chase Winovich will be in the NFL
Posted by cgonz00cc, Sat Aug-18-18 10:45 AM
but he is a monster. one of the most underrated guys in the country even after 1st team AllB1G.
2671003, good grief
Posted by 3xKrazy, Sat Aug-18-18 02:04 PM
2671012, he still thinks Tate Forcier >> Pryor
Posted by guru0509, Sat Aug-18-18 04:21 PM
let them be
2671025, i checked the post and i never said that thank god lmao
Posted by cgonz00cc, Sat Aug-18-18 07:33 PM
i made a comment on one forcier throw, talked about Pryor not taking a big step, and then big upped Josh muthafuckin Nesbitt

took a big ol L on Michigan's 09 defense tho :(
2671034, lol, my bad. didnt mean to spread #fakenews
Posted by guru0509, Sat Aug-18-18 10:07 PM
2671050, i mean...i DID have to check lol
Posted by cgonz00cc, Sun Aug-19-18 11:16 AM
i was furiously cycling thru my ctrl+f "cgonz00cc" hits
2671262, LOL
Posted by Ceej, Wed Aug-22-18 08:24 AM
What a time to be alive
2671026, thats not outlandish
Posted by cgonz00cc, Sat Aug-18-18 07:34 PM
Winovich and Gary might actually be the 2 best DE in the Big10
2670981, If FSU can keep Francois out of a coffin he might sneak in there
Posted by cgonz00cc, Sat Aug-18-18 10:43 AM
2671266, big if.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Aug-22-18 10:27 AM
2671239, Pac12 net replayed 2004 Cal @ USC game
Posted by HecticHavoc, Tue Aug-21-18 04:35 PM
this game was incredible.

Aaron Rodgers started 23/23. next throw is a thrown away incompletion.

true freshman Marshawn Lynch
the USC Superteam, too many to name
but the Cal team was really solid. Rodgers was insane, during the show he kinda brags that he was at one point 29/31 with two throw aways. he had a pretty funny mechanic where he held the ball way up near his chin, I dont know if he did this just for this game or his whole career.