Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2617121

Subject: "Byron Buxton scored from first on a single" Previous topic | Next topic
Walleye
Charter member
15524 posts
Sat Jul-08-17 11:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Byron Buxton scored from first on a single"

I don't really feel like there's any way that I can add to this with written description, so just click through.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/241158208/twins-byron-buxton-shows-elite-sprint-speed/

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Check this video
Jul 08th 2017
That was insane
Jul 08th 2017
Yeah, they've punted a lot of power but I hope it's temporary
Jul 08th 2017
      thanks for this
Jul 08th 2017
           Yeah, that seems like it
Jul 09th 2017
                LOL @ this reply from the Deadspin post on his score from first play
Jul 10th 2017
                     That was particularly brutal
Jul 10th 2017
holy shit!!
Jul 10th 2017
I had the game on in the background while I was doing some work
Jul 10th 2017
Heinz' paired, cued video above is awesome, but I had MASN on
Jul 10th 2017
      yeah that split screen shot gives a great view
Jul 10th 2017
eh
Jul 10th 2017
damn he was bookin
Jul 10th 2017
breh
Jul 10th 2017
2 outs
Jul 10th 2017
      *ceej catchphrase*
Jul 11th 2017
           me, either
Jul 11th 2017

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20763 posts
Sat Jul-08-17 12:53 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Check this video"
In response to Reply # 0

https://twitter.com/ParkerHageman/status/883536109610954752

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Sat Jul-08-17 04:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "That was insane"
In response to Reply # 0

Also he's been quietly hitting better since that awful first month.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

Walleye
Charter member
15524 posts
Sat Jul-08-17 04:40 PM

3. "Yeah, they've punted a lot of power but I hope it's temporary"
In response to Reply # 2

That first month was one of the worst I've ever seen from a pro. He's going to have to battle all year to fix his line after that.

The disappearing/reappearing leg kick has been kind of tacked to Buxton's ebbs and flows in offense, and I think it was really helpful the only time he's hit for power in MLB play last September. It also looked, at the time, that it was working well as a way for him to see pitches a little bit longer - but it's worth noting that he struck out 38 times in 113 plate appearances that much. So, unless we think (and we don't, probably) that Buxton is the kind of guy who's going to slug .550-.600 regularly then the power output that month was kind of masking the same swing/miss issues he's been having his whole professional career.

Now, the leg kick is gone for a fairly minimal stride. The good thing is that he's still letting the ball get kind of deep on him, so one of the benefits of the leg kick seems to have stuck. The bad thing is that even though he's pretty strong (his most recent homerun looked like it was all hands and wrists) it really doesn't seem like his current approach offers much in the way of power.

And even if we can affirm that IF he has offensive utility without hitting the ball out of the infield THEN reducing strikeouts is a worthwhile goal (he's down around 25% for the last month, which is borderline normal) it still kind of feels like a waste because he can hit the ball out of the ballpark.

Anyhow, I think there's another shoe here. This current fix is there to get more contact (Parker Hageman from TwinsDaily did note as well that his HARD contact numbers have been improving since this change) that will lead to more power once he's more comfortable with this version of his swing and with identifying pitches.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Drizzit
Member since Sep 19th 2002
6467 posts
Sat Jul-08-17 09:28 PM

4. "thanks for this"
In response to Reply # 3

was wondering what was up with buxton.

sounds like:
1. a really bad month combined with
2. swing tinkering

this scoring from first could be a fun thing though.

Walleye
Charter member
15524 posts
Sun Jul-09-17 02:10 PM

5. "Yeah, that seems like it"
In response to Reply # 4

>sounds like:
>1. a really bad month combined with
>2. swing tinkering

He came into Spring Training with the leg kick that he used in September, but ditched it over the course of the spring. It was gone by Opening Day. On one hand, that seems like an extraordinarily strange decision given:

a) the successful close to 2016
b) that the new hitting coach James Rowson was hired in the winter and presumably could have communicated to Buxton the need to simplify his swing prior to spring training - so they could have ironed out the wrinkles without W/L stakes in Ft. Myers

On the other hand, it's a pretty solid recommendation of how seriously Rowson takes his job that he didn't just look at Buxton's 2016 finish and shrug "good enough." Most of the discussion of Rowson's work in the media includes players speaking pretty glowingly about him, and he really doesn't seem ideologically wedded to certain tenets of hitting like Brunansky was. He meets players where they are and tweaks based on what's best for them. The result is that outside of Buxton and Polanco, most of the roster is hitting at the upper end of what I'd have expected from them.

Again, I'd love to see the longterm results of Buxton's swing tinkering because I can't imagine they took a look at a player with as impressive physical tools as him and decided to make him into Jason Tyner. And the note by Sr. Hageman about contact quality is where we should be pinning our hopes. Per fangraphs *excellent* split breakdown:

-both June (relative to Apr/May) and July (relative to June) were pretty substantial increases in hard contact % and declines in soft contact %

-both June (relative to Apr/May) and July (relative to June) were pretty substantial decreases in strikeout percentage. I'd love to see more over-the-fence power, but I'm more than fine settling temporarily for increased contact *and* increased hard contact

-his walk rate declined in June (relative to Apr/May) but has been a very respectable 9.4% in July.

Or, to put it more simply, he's been .241/.300/.353 since that almost impossibly bad first month. That's not very good either, but it's more "when is Byron Buxton going to start hitting?" than "what the hell is wrong with Byron Buxton?"

--Walleye's Dad

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27118 posts
Mon Jul-10-17 05:30 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "LOL @ this reply from the Deadspin post on his score from first play"
In response to Reply # 5
Mon Jul-10-17 05:33 PM by 40thStreetBlack

Byron Buxton Scored From First Base On A Single Because He Is Superhuman

http://deadspin.com/byron-buxton-scored-from-first-base-on-a-single-because-1796741813

Chris Thompson
7/08/17 2:17pm

Did his parents send him to Earth from their dying planet named Curveballton?
Reply3 replies

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Walleye
Charter member
15524 posts
Mon Jul-10-17 05:35 PM

13. "That was particularly brutal"
In response to Reply # 12

I would have gone with the slider, but that guy's been doing his homework. Slider's been the only pitch that Buxton has done positive damage to this year.

--Walleye's Dad

bleekgilliam_420
Charter member
7357 posts
Mon Jul-10-17 12:33 PM

6. "holy shit!!"
In response to Reply # 0

and he stumbled slightly coming around third. thats badassery.

---------------------------------------

http://twitter.com/malael

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27118 posts
Mon Jul-10-17 01:02 PM

7. "I had the game on in the background while I was doing some work"
In response to Reply # 0

I saw him score but didn't realize exactly what happened on the play, then when they showed the replay I was like "wait, what?"

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Walleye
Charter member
15524 posts
Mon Jul-10-17 01:09 PM

8. "Heinz' paired, cued video above is awesome, but I had MASN on"
In response to Reply # 7

...which isn't a bad choice, since the Orioles announcers are better than the Twins' Dick-n-Bert by a pretty safe margin. But the doubly cool thing is that MASN didn't know that Buxton is *always* worth watching. So their camera basically followed the ball into the outfield until Thorne and Palmer started screaming about Buxton's dash for home.

It was beautiful, real, and chaotic.

--Walleye's Dad

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27118 posts
Mon Jul-10-17 05:23 PM

11. "yeah that split screen shot gives a great view"
In response to Reply # 8

man he took off on the crack of the bat like it was a starter pistol. his stride is amazing, looks more like a track runner than a typical baserunning stride.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66756 posts
Mon Jul-10-17 01:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "eh"
In response to Reply # 0

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85113 posts
Mon Jul-10-17 01:30 PM

10. "damn he was bookin"
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

LegacyNS
Member since Jan 16th 2004
38095 posts
Mon Jul-10-17 05:53 PM

14. "breh"
In response to Reply # 0

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<---- 5....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlgiritpmfo

=======================================

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66756 posts
Mon Jul-10-17 08:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "2 outs "
In response to Reply # 14

Cmon

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27118 posts
Tue Jul-11-17 01:17 PM

16. "*ceej catchphrase*"
In response to Reply # 15

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Dstl1
Charter member
56242 posts
Tue Jul-11-17 01:23 PM

17. "me, either"
In response to Reply # 16

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2617121 Previous topic | Next topic