Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectByron Buxton scored from first on a single
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2617121
2617121, Byron Buxton scored from first on a single
Posted by Walleye, Sat Jul-08-17 11:53 AM
I don't really feel like there's any way that I can add to this with written description, so just click through.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/241158208/twins-byron-buxton-shows-elite-sprint-speed/
2617123, Check this video
Posted by Heinz, Sat Jul-08-17 12:53 PM
https://twitter.com/ParkerHageman/status/883536109610954752
2617130, That was insane
Posted by Marauder21, Sat Jul-08-17 04:27 PM
Also he's been quietly hitting better since that awful first month.
2617135, Yeah, they've punted a lot of power but I hope it's temporary
Posted by Walleye, Sat Jul-08-17 04:40 PM
That first month was one of the worst I've ever seen from a pro. He's going to have to battle all year to fix his line after that.

The disappearing/reappearing leg kick has been kind of tacked to Buxton's ebbs and flows in offense, and I think it was really helpful the only time he's hit for power in MLB play last September. It also looked, at the time, that it was working well as a way for him to see pitches a little bit longer - but it's worth noting that he struck out 38 times in 113 plate appearances that much. So, unless we think (and we don't, probably) that Buxton is the kind of guy who's going to slug .550-.600 regularly then the power output that month was kind of masking the same swing/miss issues he's been having his whole professional career.

Now, the leg kick is gone for a fairly minimal stride. The good thing is that he's still letting the ball get kind of deep on him, so one of the benefits of the leg kick seems to have stuck. The bad thing is that even though he's pretty strong (his most recent homerun looked like it was all hands and wrists) it really doesn't seem like his current approach offers much in the way of power.

And even if we can affirm that IF he has offensive utility without hitting the ball out of the infield THEN reducing strikeouts is a worthwhile goal (he's down around 25% for the last month, which is borderline normal) it still kind of feels like a waste because he can hit the ball out of the ballpark.

Anyhow, I think there's another shoe here. This current fix is there to get more contact (Parker Hageman from TwinsDaily did note as well that his HARD contact numbers have been improving since this change) that will lead to more power once he's more comfortable with this version of his swing and with identifying pitches.
2617150, thanks for this
Posted by Drizzit, Sat Jul-08-17 09:28 PM
was wondering what was up with buxton.

sounds like:
1. a really bad month combined with
2. swing tinkering

this scoring from first could be a fun thing though.
2617184, Yeah, that seems like it
Posted by Walleye, Sun Jul-09-17 02:10 PM
>sounds like:
>1. a really bad month combined with
>2. swing tinkering

He came into Spring Training with the leg kick that he used in September, but ditched it over the course of the spring. It was gone by Opening Day. On one hand, that seems like an extraordinarily strange decision given:

a) the successful close to 2016
b) that the new hitting coach James Rowson was hired in the winter and presumably could have communicated to Buxton the need to simplify his swing prior to spring training - so they could have ironed out the wrinkles without W/L stakes in Ft. Myers

On the other hand, it's a pretty solid recommendation of how seriously Rowson takes his job that he didn't just look at Buxton's 2016 finish and shrug "good enough." Most of the discussion of Rowson's work in the media includes players speaking pretty glowingly about him, and he really doesn't seem ideologically wedded to certain tenets of hitting like Brunansky was. He meets players where they are and tweaks based on what's best for them. The result is that outside of Buxton and Polanco, most of the roster is hitting at the upper end of what I'd have expected from them.

Again, I'd love to see the longterm results of Buxton's swing tinkering because I can't imagine they took a look at a player with as impressive physical tools as him and decided to make him into Jason Tyner. And the note by Sr. Hageman about contact quality is where we should be pinning our hopes. Per fangraphs *excellent* split breakdown:

-both June (relative to Apr/May) and July (relative to June) were pretty substantial increases in hard contact % and declines in soft contact %

-both June (relative to Apr/May) and July (relative to June) were pretty substantial decreases in strikeout percentage. I'd love to see more over-the-fence power, but I'm more than fine settling temporarily for increased contact *and* increased hard contact

-his walk rate declined in June (relative to Apr/May) but has been a very respectable 9.4% in July.

Or, to put it more simply, he's been .241/.300/.353 since that almost impossibly bad first month. That's not very good either, but it's more "when is Byron Buxton going to start hitting?" than "what the hell is wrong with Byron Buxton?"
2617280, LOL @ this reply from the Deadspin post on his score from first play
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Mon Jul-10-17 05:30 PM
Byron Buxton Scored From First Base On A Single Because He Is Superhuman

http://deadspin.com/byron-buxton-scored-from-first-base-on-a-single-because-1796741813

Chris Thompson
7/08/17 2:17pm

Did his parents send him to Earth from their dying planet named Curveballton?
Reply3 replies
2617281, That was particularly brutal
Posted by Walleye, Mon Jul-10-17 05:35 PM
I would have gone with the slider, but that guy's been doing his homework. Slider's been the only pitch that Buxton has done positive damage to this year.
2617255, holy shit!!
Posted by bleekgilliam_420, Mon Jul-10-17 12:33 PM
and he stumbled slightly coming around third. thats badassery.
2617256, I had the game on in the background while I was doing some work
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Mon Jul-10-17 01:02 PM
I saw him score but didn't realize exactly what happened on the play, then when they showed the replay I was like "wait, what?"
2617257, Heinz' paired, cued video above is awesome, but I had MASN on
Posted by Walleye, Mon Jul-10-17 01:09 PM
...which isn't a bad choice, since the Orioles announcers are better than the Twins' Dick-n-Bert by a pretty safe margin. But the doubly cool thing is that MASN didn't know that Buxton is *always* worth watching. So their camera basically followed the ball into the outfield until Thorne and Palmer started screaming about Buxton's dash for home.

It was beautiful, real, and chaotic.
2617279, yeah that split screen shot gives a great view
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Mon Jul-10-17 05:23 PM
man he took off on the crack of the bat like it was a starter pistol. his stride is amazing, looks more like a track runner than a typical baserunning stride.
2617258, eh
Posted by Ceej, Mon Jul-10-17 01:11 PM
2617260, damn he was bookin
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon Jul-10-17 01:30 PM
2617283, breh
Posted by LegacyNS, Mon Jul-10-17 05:53 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<---- 5....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlgiritpmfo

=======================================
2617298, 2 outs
Posted by Ceej, Mon Jul-10-17 08:29 PM