Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2615895

Subject: "...how I could(a) just kill(ed) a mannnnn (c)" Previous topic | Next topic
Dstl1
Charter member
56233 posts
Wed Jun-28-17 01:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"...how I could(a) just kill(ed) a mannnnn (c)"

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/06/28/report-clinton-portis-was-ready-to-kill-a-man-who-lost-his-money/

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Damn, hopefully dudes are getting smarter about their finances
Jun 28th 2017
hope springs eternal
Jun 28th 2017
As long as there are crooked FA's who see athletes as suckers
Jun 28th 2017
      athletes gotta stop being suckers tho
Jun 28th 2017
Boring investments. That's what they need to be doing with their money
Jun 28th 2017
Scariest/saddest part of the SI story, by MILES:
Jun 28th 2017
:(
Jun 28th 2017
It's pretty weird, man. I talk to these older athletes about it
Jun 29th 2017
wouldn't you rather know than not know?
Jun 29th 2017
wouldn't you rather know than not know?
Jun 29th 2017
      is there a treatment for it?
Jun 29th 2017
Wasn't there a 'Portis pockets straight' post a while back?
Jun 29th 2017

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jun-28-17 01:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Damn, hopefully dudes are getting smarter about their finances"
In response to Reply # 0

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Wed Jun-28-17 02:07 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "hope springs eternal"
In response to Reply # 1

sadly....this will continue

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed Jun-28-17 02:39 PM

3. "As long as there are crooked FA's who see athletes as suckers"
In response to Reply # 1

This won't stop.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

jdub1313
Charter member
4732 posts
Wed Jun-28-17 02:48 PM

4. "athletes gotta stop being suckers tho"
In response to Reply # 3

how many of these stories you gotta read, before the light bulb goes off?

society is telling you to spend, but $43 mill is a lot. Just buy one car bro, one big house, and put the rest in a trust or whatever. let them other niggas spend on bullshit and just show up to enjoy it with them.

that's what I would do anyway. That way when they go broke I've already changed my number and moved to Panama

*goes back to staring at a computer screen for a living*

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Wed Jun-28-17 05:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Boring investments. That's what they need to be doing with their money"
In response to Reply # 0

No funding businesses. No hedge funds. Nothing.

Just open up a boring ass vanguard account. Buy yourself some treasury bonds and index funds and just let it cook.

These broke athletes all have two thing in common. Outlandish spending and looking for the sexy investments.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Wed Jun-28-17 05:36 PM

6. "Scariest/saddest part of the SI story, by MILES:"
In response to Reply # 0

Portis is among the former players eligible to receive benefits from the NFL’s $1 billion concussion settlement, which could entitle him to up to $1.5 million if he shows signs of early dementia and as much as $5 million should he be diagnosed with ALS—but in order to receive even a penny he would have to undergo testing and demonstrate clear symptoms of severe problems. And he’s wary of being evaluated because those tests might reveal that the fog is encroaching just as he has learned to navigate this complicated world. “F--- that concussion money,” he says. “I’m scared. I’m really scared of the results.”

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Dstl1
Charter member
56233 posts
Wed Jun-28-17 06:16 PM

7. ":("
In response to Reply # 6

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Thu Jun-29-17 02:47 AM

8. "It's pretty weird, man. I talk to these older athletes about it"
In response to Reply # 6

Talked to a guy recently, now in his early 50s, who had a long career in the NHL. He had more concussions than he had fingers, including a couple that didn't have anything to do with hockey (one story was crazy AF!). He said he would lose patches of times occasionally and sometimes he would fail to recognize people that he sees every day. Still, he said the league was full of guys who were fearless, who would do anything, who would play through anything. And he prided himself on being that guy. He still does. He ended up winning a couple championships, as a role player, and he said that justified it all. But he had kind of a somber tone--and he's a very talkative and upbeat guy--when he said there were other guys who didn't make it to the top and were doing a lot worse. It's a weird culture but you know there are plenty of weird, masochistic cultures with way smaller payoffs and way smaller paychecks. It's a shame to see guys who were misled and mistreated medically for sure. But today's players pretty much know what they are getting into no matter how much the leagues try to cover their ass for these lawsuits. The old guys were definitely not addressed properly but at the same time they kind of didn't give a fuck. I mean if you're already willing to play a sport where you could break a bunch of bones, sustain spinal injuries, etc, would a concussion really have steered you away from it?

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85077 posts
Thu Jun-29-17 08:19 AM

"wouldn't you rather know than not know?"

<--- Big Baller World Order

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85077 posts
Thu Jun-29-17 08:19 AM

9. "wouldn't you rather know than not know?"
In response to Reply # 6

<--- Big Baller World Order

Kungset
Member since Mar 29th 2004
6426 posts
Thu Jun-29-17 05:58 PM

11. "is there a treatment for it?"
In response to Reply # 9

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Thu Jun-29-17 09:44 AM

10. "Wasn't there a 'Portis pockets straight' post a while back?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2615895 Previous topic | Next topic