Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subject...how I could(a) just kill(ed) a mannnnn (c)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2615895
2615895, ...how I could(a) just kill(ed) a mannnnn (c)
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Jun-28-17 01:29 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/06/28/report-clinton-portis-was-ready-to-kill-a-man-who-lost-his-money/
2615909, Damn, hopefully dudes are getting smarter about their finances
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Jun-28-17 01:56 PM
2615911, hope springs eternal
Posted by Selah, Wed Jun-28-17 02:07 PM
sadly....this will continue
2615923, As long as there are crooked FA's who see athletes as suckers
Posted by Marauder21, Wed Jun-28-17 02:39 PM
This won't stop.
2615931, athletes gotta stop being suckers tho
Posted by jdub1313, Wed Jun-28-17 02:48 PM
how many of these stories you gotta read, before the light bulb goes off?

society is telling you to spend, but $43 mill is a lot. Just buy one car bro, one big house, and put the rest in a trust or whatever. let them other niggas spend on bullshit and just show up to enjoy it with them.

that's what I would do anyway. That way when they go broke I've already changed my number and moved to Panama

*goes back to staring at a computer screen for a living*
2615958, Boring investments. That's what they need to be doing with their money
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Wed Jun-28-17 05:15 PM
No funding businesses. No hedge funds. Nothing.

Just open up a boring ass vanguard account. Buy yourself some treasury bonds and index funds and just let it cook.

These broke athletes all have two thing in common. Outlandish spending and looking for the sexy investments.
2615961, Scariest/saddest part of the SI story, by MILES:
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Jun-28-17 05:36 PM
Portis is among the former players eligible to receive benefits from the NFL’s $1 billion concussion settlement, which could entitle him to up to $1.5 million if he shows signs of early dementia and as much as $5 million should he be diagnosed with ALS—but in order to receive even a penny he would have to undergo testing and demonstrate clear symptoms of severe problems. And he’s wary of being evaluated because those tests might reveal that the fog is encroaching just as he has learned to navigate this complicated world. “F--- that concussion money,” he says. “I’m scared. I’m really scared of the results.”
2615964, :(
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Jun-28-17 06:16 PM
2615982, It's pretty weird, man. I talk to these older athletes about it
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Thu Jun-29-17 02:47 AM
Talked to a guy recently, now in his early 50s, who had a long career in the NHL. He had more concussions than he had fingers, including a couple that didn't have anything to do with hockey (one story was crazy AF!). He said he would lose patches of times occasionally and sometimes he would fail to recognize people that he sees every day. Still, he said the league was full of guys who were fearless, who would do anything, who would play through anything. And he prided himself on being that guy. He still does. He ended up winning a couple championships, as a role player, and he said that justified it all. But he had kind of a somber tone--and he's a very talkative and upbeat guy--when he said there were other guys who didn't make it to the top and were doing a lot worse. It's a weird culture but you know there are plenty of weird, masochistic cultures with way smaller payoffs and way smaller paychecks. It's a shame to see guys who were misled and mistreated medically for sure. But today's players pretty much know what they are getting into no matter how much the leagues try to cover their ass for these lawsuits. The old guys were definitely not addressed properly but at the same time they kind of didn't give a fuck. I mean if you're already willing to play a sport where you could break a bunch of bones, sustain spinal injuries, etc, would a concussion really have steered you away from it?
2615986, wouldn't you rather know than not know?
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Jun-29-17 08:19 AM
2615987, wouldn't you rather know than not know?
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Jun-29-17 08:19 AM
2616069, is there a treatment for it?
Posted by Kungset, Thu Jun-29-17 05:58 PM
2615996, Wasn't there a 'Portis pockets straight' post a while back?
Posted by jigga, Thu Jun-29-17 09:44 AM