Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2394787

Subject: "Josh Donaldson to the Blue Jays!!!" Previous topic | Next topic
Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20763 posts
Fri Nov-28-14 10:31 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Josh Donaldson to the Blue Jays!!!"

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/102686998/blue-jays-get-donaldson-in-swap-with-as

Sad we had to give up Lawrie and more sad we had to give up Barreto

but this is a great pick up
____

TWITTER : Heinz21st

IG : H_N_Z

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
As an A's fan this really annoys me
Nov 28th 2014
Nolin, Gravemann and Baretto are good
Nov 28th 2014
Baretto is the only super talent from what I have heard
Nov 29th 2014
Barreto is the only one with all-star type upside
Nov 29th 2014
My Black Friday exploded when my phone went off with this info
Dec 01st 2014
This is most likely the work of ownership rather than Beane
Dec 01st 2014
      Freudian slip?
Dec 01st 2014
           Fuck, it's Fisher, right?
Dec 01st 2014
I'm ok with it
Dec 01st 2014
Still gonna disagree.
Dec 01st 2014
      Barreto will be in the infield
Dec 01st 2014
      This is not what AA said exactly
Dec 02nd 2014
      Even if Baretto lands at 2nd I'm still good with it
Dec 02nd 2014
I can't believe what the Jays have pulled off in such a short time
Dec 01st 2014

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44723 posts
Fri Nov-28-14 10:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "As an A's fan this really annoys me"
In response to Reply # 0

I mean, yeah, we needed a shortstop, but trading our best player by FAR to get one is fucking dumb.

I'm blaming Wolff and the other owner. Donaldson was years away from free agency, but being gushy about spending money via arbitration is ridiculous.

I know nothing about the other three guys in the trade, but they better have tremendous upside.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Heinz
20763 posts
Fri Nov-28-14 10:41 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Nolin, Gravemann and Baretto are good"
In response to Reply # 1

It was hard to see Barretto included in this trade esp since we dont have many SS's in the system worth looking at

____

DeepAztheRoot
Member since Dec 19th 2003
13992 posts
Sat Nov-29-14 02:13 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Baretto is the only super talent from what I have heard"
In response to Reply # 2

Gravemann is a fringe prospect and Nolin was going to be dealt in my eyes also, he's far from a Sanchez/Stroman untouchable

I hope Lawrie stays healthy for the A's, like watching him play no matter what team he is on

<-Fear Ameer

Walleye
Charter member
15524 posts
Sat Nov-29-14 11:19 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Barreto is the only one with all-star type upside"
In response to Reply # 1

Though Nolin and Graveman are ready to slot into the mid-to-backend of an MLB rotation, like, now. That's not real sexy, but it's not a small thing in a trade.

Barreto's still a ways off, but here's what BA said about him in the most recent Blue Jays top 10. Some real pop and the ability to be a good defensive shortstop in an under-6' package sounds like Orlando Cabrera to me, which doesn't sound like a big deal but in today's depressed offensive environment would be really, really nice. He's only #5 on the Jays list but they have a strong system at the top end and still, it wouldn't be surprising if he had a better career than several of the guys above him.

5. Franklin Barreto, ss

Born: Feb. 27, 1996 B-T: R-R. Ht.: 5-9. Wt.: 175. Drafted: Venezuela, 2012. Signed by: Ismael Cruz/Luis Marquez.

Background: Barreto was one of the most decorated amateurs to come out of Venezuela when he signed for $1.45 million in 2012 and was one of the top talents of the international signing period. He had a track record of hitting against top competition during international play and scouts lauded his bat before signing, and Barreto has continued to hit after two seasons in the minor leagues.

Scouting Report: Barreto’s top tool is his righthanded bat, and he shows tools to be become a plus hitter. He has above-average bat speed to his line-drive oriented stroke and hits the ball well to all fields. His bat speed and strength should enable at least double digit home runs and lots of doubles. While Barreto had six home runs this year, his 23 doubles tied for the Northwest League lead and his four triples tied for second. Although Barreto has a 5-foot-9 frame, he has a strong, compact build with present physicality and strength throughout his wrists, forearms and lower half. He is an aggressive hitter who is still learning to lay off breaking stuff out of the zone. His athleticism, plus speed, above-average lateral range and above-average arm give him an up-the-middle profile and he will be given every opportunity to remain at shortstop, but he could move off the position at the upper levels. His .901 fielding percentage must improve to remain at shortstop, as will his ability to make accurate throws on the finishing end of the double play, the source of many of his errors. His actions are not ideal for the position, though they are improving. He could move to second base or center field. Barreto has plus speed and baserunning instincts, making him a potential impact baserunner.

The Future: After hitting at each stop the past two summers, Barreto will likely move to one or both A-ball levels in 2015 and could move quickly because of his hitting ability.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

dgonsh
Member since Aug 14th 2002
10700 posts
Mon Dec-01-14 04:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "My Black Friday exploded when my phone went off with this info"
In response to Reply # 0

I've *loved* seeing the idiot lawrie riders calling into the fan and twitter and whatnot saying how we lost cause Lawrie played at 110% (for the 50% he played har har) and canadian this and canadian that.

We just got a legitimate MVP candidate in his prime (though late, still only 28/29), who is immeasurably more valuable than what we gave up, AND we control him through 2018?

This is a fleecing. I like graveman and nolin, and didn't know much of our 18 year old super prospect, but this is a win now mentality that has LEGS. This isn't signing David Price for 1 year to go for it. This is a guy with 4 years of team control who's affordable and the premier player at his position, MLB-wide!

I'm still processing what Beane's motive was. But Anthopolous called The Godfather on the day of his daughter wedding or something.

"I *always* quote myself. I'm the only reliable source on *most* subjects" - OKP's First Lady of Knowledge, Janey

mrhood75
44723 posts
Mon Dec-01-14 04:51 PM

6. "This is most likely the work of ownership rather than Beane"
In response to Reply # 5

There's a theory that one of Donaldson's tweets got him traded, which seems petty, but I guess is plausible.

More likely is that Schott and Wolff just don't want to spend money, but in this case it's particularly ridiculous. From what I understand, it's a few more seasons (like three) before he's up for free agency. Them being that scared to have to pay him more money via arbitration is really obnoxious.

When the team signed a 10-year extension at the current stadium I hoped that meant we'd finally be okay with spending some money. Well, now it looks like it's just another 10-year commitment not to pay any of our homegrown talent in the long-term. But we'll spend $10 million on Butler, yet another 1B/DH type.

So yes, this was a fleecing. I gotta imagine we could have gotten something better from the Red Sox, and then saved them from spending $95 million on Sandoval.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

OldPro
Member since Dec 10th 2002
34401 posts
Mon Dec-01-14 07:42 PM

8. "Freudian slip?"
In response to Reply # 6

>More likely is that Schott and Wolff just don't want to spend
>money

mrhood75
44723 posts
Mon Dec-01-14 08:01 PM

9. "Fuck, it's Fisher, right?"
In response to Reply # 8

Schott was the old owner.

Good to have you back, BTW.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

OldPro
34401 posts
Mon Dec-01-14 07:40 PM

7. "I'm ok with it"
In response to Reply # 0

At one point I thought JD was the guy the A's should stick with long term (When the question was either him or Cespedes) but once Cespy was gone and Moss started to slide I think we saw JD's soft underbelly. He just wasn't comfortable being the "guy" and never really did hold that lineup up in the 3 hole. In my mind Lawrie isn't all that different from JD but he does get hurt a lot. The real deal here is the SS and any A's fan knew something had to be done here long term the minute they traded Russell for Shark last summer.

mrhood75
44723 posts
Mon Dec-01-14 08:21 PM

10. "Still gonna disagree."
In response to Reply # 7

>At one point I thought JD was the guy the A's should stick
>with long term (When the question was either him or Cespedes)
>but once Cespy was gone and Moss started to slide I think we
>saw JD's soft underbelly.

I think it was more of an issue that once Moss and Norris stopped hitting, the opposing pitchers stopped giving him stuff to hit. So he started swinging at stuff he shouldn't have swung at.

>He just wasn't comfortable being the
>"guy" and never really did hold that lineup up in the 3 hole.
>In my mind Lawrie isn't all that different from JD but he does
>get hurt a lot.

Lawrie theoretically has as much, if not more, upside than JD. But he hasn't been healthy in the entirety of his career. And if/when he does get hurt, we've got no one to replace him. We do have lots of 1B/OF/DH types.

>The real deal here is the SS and any A's fan
>knew something had to be done here long term the minute they
>traded Russell for Shark last summer.

But aren't they saying Baretto might not even end up playing SS by the time he makes the majors? That he could end up as an outfielder?

I dunno man, this trade didn't need to be made now. Or if it did, it should have been something better.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Heinz
20763 posts
Mon Dec-01-14 11:47 PM

12. "Barreto will be in the infield"
In response to Reply # 10

He was probably gonna be called up in Sept of 2015 with the Jays.

____

dgonsh
Member since Aug 14th 2002
10700 posts
Tue Dec-02-14 06:58 PM

14. "This is not what AA said exactly"
In response to Reply # 12

he essentially said if everything went miraculously that he *could* have been a sept 15 call up. But that was, in my opinion, him trying to downplay how strongly he felt about pulling off this swap. By big upping the guys he sent packing. I genuinely loved Lawrie's heart and hustle, and he pulled some of the most jawdropping defensive plays/throw-em-out-at-1sts ive ever seen. I liked Nolin a lot, and kendal was coming into his own. No one has any idea what will become of an 18 year old who has never seen a full year of pro ball. I mean, people were saying that Pompey making it up three A levels to the big leagues in a single season was insane, and he's a couple years older than Barreto.

I think that comment was AA not wanting to gloat too much.

I think the A's indeed have way more upside in this trade. The thing about upside is, JD doesn't need upside. He needs "play at the level you already play at". No one expects more from JD. He's already an all star elite 3rd basemen/hitter. Lawrie has all the upside in the world. He has legitimate all-star potential. But whether its a nagging oblique, or a freak pitch breaking his finger, he has not proven he can play even 115 games a year.

There is absolutely value in this trade for both teams. But it almost doesn't make sense why it was even a trade to begin with.

"I *always* quote myself. I'm the only reliable source on *most* subjects" - OKP's First Lady of Knowledge, Janey

OldPro
34401 posts
Tue Dec-02-14 11:42 AM

13. "Even if Baretto lands at 2nd I'm still good with it"
In response to Reply # 10
Tue Dec-02-14 11:45 AM by OldPro

Although that's where our other top SS prospect Daniel Robertson is projecting too.. still middle inf is so sorry in the system right now I'm ok with collecting a few.

It's kind of hard to be objective with JD because he's done and meant so much to the team during this run. Still I've been somewhat disappointed in how he's progressed. I know I wasn't around here during the Cespy deal but my biggest grip with it was I was worried we wouldn't have someone to fill that "star" role and anchor the lineup. Now I know Yo never really lived up to his full potential while in Oakland but he was comfortable being that guy. Yo showed that when the spotlight got bigger so did he.. I was hoping this would be picked up by JD but it just never really happened. I've been thinking a lot about this since the end of the year and came to the conclusion it would be best to move him now while his value is still pretty high. We'll see how it works out but getting a 3rd baseman who at least has the ability to fill his shoes along with a middle prospect and some pitching seems fair to me.

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Mon Dec-01-14 09:03 PM

11. "I can't believe what the Jays have pulled off in such a short time"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2394787 Previous topic | Next topic