Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2336591

Subject: "#okaycoaches - post up your favorite drills, strategies, etc" Previous topic | Next topic
poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Wed Jun-11-14 10:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"#okaycoaches - post up your favorite drills, strategies, etc"

prolly should have made this a roll call poast, first and foremost, as i haven't seen one.

but, throw up what sport(s) you coach or have coached, link to some good resources (drills, blogs, whatever). your philosophy and strategies, general good ish.

let me make a template while i'm at it so you can reply w/ quote and structure the responses...

SPORTS COACHED:

AGE/GENDER COACHED:

COACHING STYLE / STRATEGY:

FAVORITE RESOURCES:

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
** i move away from the mic to breathe in

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'm praying there is no Jerry Sandusky alias.
Jun 11th 2014
yeah. that would be less than fortunate. nm
Jun 11th 2014
Track and Field (mid-distance)
Jun 11th 2014
i ref, being around the kids makes me interested in coaching.
Jun 11th 2014
here're my answers:
Jun 11th 2014

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Wed Jun-11-14 11:10 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I'm praying there is no Jerry Sandusky alias."
In response to Reply # 0

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Wed Jun-11-14 12:07 PM

2. "yeah. that would be less than fortunate. nm"
In response to Reply # 1

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

Walleye
Charter member
15524 posts
Wed Jun-11-14 12:26 PM

3. "Track and Field (mid-distance)"
In response to Reply # 0

>SPORTS COACHED:

XC and Track. I'm only an assistant for XC, so I mostly just do what I'm told there. But in indoor and outdoor, I'm a head coach and am specifically responsible for 800m runners on up to 3200m.

>AGE/GENDER COACHED:

High school boys.

>COACHING STYLE / STRATEGY:

There's not a lot of events in high school that benefit from a true distance approach, where I'd be more interested in supplementing plain old volume with real eyeballs-in-back-of-head tempo runs into the spring. So on a team where we're constantly stretching for more 800m runners (to fill out a relay), I tend to stretch most of our guys downward instead of upwards and the result is that my guys start with a substantial gap between strength work and speed work that grows a lot bigger by the end of the year.

So, because we can't count on all of our runners having a strong distance base coming from XC, this past year (my first one responsible for all of this nonsense) we more or less devoted December and January to workouts that supplemented the base of guys who ran XC and kind of bootlegged one for guys who didn't. I sent them out for long distance runs on Tuesdays and Thursdays, usually 45 minutes or an hour of long, slow distance after a 15 minute warmup. Convincing some of our better runners that this was base building and recovery and so should be done *slow* was a tough sell at first, as they're high schoolers and kind of preferred all fast, all the time.

To scratch that itch, any regimented workout we did for those months was basically base-building in disguise. My favorite was one called "Who Moved My Cheese," after that stupid book I was forced to read in one of my first jobs after college. That one was 1 minute hard, 1 minute jog, 2 minutes hard, 2 minutes jog, 3 minutes hard, 3 minutes jog - repeated 3 or 4 times, depending on what else we had going that week. The kids hated it, but I was typically pretty pleased with the results, particularly if I could reign in our better runners and convince them to form a 3-5 man pack on the "hard" portions.

In any case, winter was all long slow runs and long repeat with short rest or tempo runs. Basically, base-building without much regard for 800m and below speed. Results were pretty much where I expected - the kids built some good strength and turned in:

-good early-season results in 1600/3200
-an ability to double and triple in meets when needed
-mediocre but well-paced results in 800m

This year, primarily due to the personnel I was training, we didn't really start adding serious speed work until mid-April. Stuff like "Who Moved My Cheese?" stuck around all season, usually for the first hard, paced workout of the week on Monday. Tuesdays and Thursdays stayed long, slow distance days - but we made sure they did some hard 30-50m strides afterwards, on a hill when possible. On Wednesdays, we'd gradually introduce some speed. I had one that I adapted from college that I called "Electric Teeth" (I liked naming workouts so I could keep track of which ones they remembered) which required real pop, but kept rest really minimal:

Two sets of 7x200m with 30 seconds rest @ 30 seconds or below with fifteen minutes between sets.

We also did a lot of "broken" 400m workouts, where the kids do 300m at around 45-48, rest 30 seconds, then sprint the last 100m. We'd usually only do a handful of those, around 4, with five full minutes in between. I adapted that a couple times for 700m + 100m, but those didn't really take. These started showing up mid-April and were kind of their first introduction to hard intervals with serious rest.

Finally, when it was time to add speed we kept it very fast and very short. 150s and 200s. Up to three minutes rest. The only time we went above that was for the purpose of trying to develop some racing tactics - which for my fairly inexperienced batch boiled down to "remember that you are RACING and not just running a distance." Most were kind of flops, but one worked. I called it "I'm your Huckleberry" after Val Kilmer in "Tombstone." What we did there was have the kids do some 400m intervals but pick one or two of them to start at 300. After the 400m pack got a good distance past the Huckleberries, say 75m, I'd send them and tell them to catch whoever they could.

They liked that one.

In any case, I was working with such a small batch that a lot of my plans had to be altered day-of because, with runners this inexperienced, having a full group (cobbled together) was more important than a precisely tailored workout. All told, our seasonal results were on the good side of "ok." Most of my guys had PR'd by the end of the season, usually substantially:

a)sophomore miler drops from 5:03 to 4:57
b)senior miler drops from 4:55 to 4:46
c)junior half-miler drops from 2:03 to 1:57
d)newcomer drops over 30 seconds in 2 mile from April to May
d)junior half-miler drops from 2:19 to 2:04

We're not looking at a whole lot of graduation losses, so the outlook is pretty sunny next year. But it's high schoolers so you can't really count on a linear progression when they could just as easily discover that girls > track, an inequality I wont argue with except to point out that they aren't mutually exclusive at 17. One thing I'd like to do is make sure we have better retention from cross country so I'm working with a larger group of kids. Distance running is one of those things where volume really helps, and our conference is so small that picking up back-end scorers in the 3200 should be easy.

Also, I'd rather like to send a 4x800m to Penn Relays next season. Qualifying time is 8:14 for small schools, and we should have 2 legs who can bring us through in under 4:00 total. That means improving on the one thing I rather conclusively failed on this season: stretching 400m runners to 800m runners. It's just so tough getting them to buy into the event, much less trying to get them strength on the fly when they don't run cross country. The above-mentioned sophomore miler ran 2:12 next year, so if he stays healthy then we can coax him down to somewhere in the 2:05 neighborhood. But that's still only 3/4s of a team.

That's strategy though. I'm still figuring out what my coaching style is. I'm not a particularly loud person and my general attitude towards track is that, since there's such a clear line between work & success (more than other sports, I think) that it's best to let kids determine their own level of involvement. In short: it's their team. If they can't get appropriately amped for a big conference meet or running in front of 25,000 people at Penn, then I actually don't think the coach is the best qualified to create that attitude.

I mean, I could recite the lyrics to "For those about to rock" in German and get them into a frenzied psychosis. But why? I don't know. I got a fair amount of static on this topic from my co-head coach and one of our assistants. But the way I figure it, I'm there to push the right training buttons to avoid injury and promote fast-ness and then to make the right entries on meet day that give us a chance to win. It's not really about me, so ideally, I just make sure things run smoothly.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59187 posts
Wed Jun-11-14 12:33 PM

4. "i ref, being around the kids makes me interested in coaching."
In response to Reply # 0

but i ref for money and ain't got loads of free time so that's that.

If i had kids or family on a team...then i'd def would be interested in coaching their teams.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Wed Jun-11-14 04:05 PM

5. "here're my answers: "
In response to Reply # 0

>SPORTS COACHED:

Basketball, Football

>AGE/GENDER COACHED:
football
- from 5-7 -> 14yo (rec and pop warner) assistant, HC
- middle school (public school) - assistant / OC
- high school (JV, Varsity) - HC, assistant
- semi-pro player/coach, OC (passing game coordinator)

basketball
- from 5yo -> 12yo (parks and rec, multiple years, multiple towns)
- middle school girls - HC
- middle school boys - assistant
- JV girls - HC
- JV boys - assistant
- Varsity girls - HC
- Varsity boys - assistant
- boys AAU - assistant (9th, 10th)

>COACHING STYLE / STRATEGY:

football - power spread offense (pro style passing w/ audibles, reads, etc), attacking defense w/ zone coverage.

bball - pressing attack, multiple defense (2-3

overall, my approach is to tailor the style to the personnel. i have things i LIKE to do, and i try to push kids, but i don't try and force square pegs into round holes. for example, if i have a bunch of uncoordinated or slow kids on a bball team, we not playing man to man defense.

i do, however, try to gain scheme advantage and create mismatches.

also, having spent a LOT of time coaching kids around middle school aged or so, i know that having the long term view is important. the kid who is killing it may just be getting over due to physical advantage from having matured early, and that kid on the bench could be a monster in their junior or senior year.

i don't yell AT kids, but i yell to them. i'm very vocal, especially in bball, but in football, too, and i'm constantly shouting encouragement and directions throughout the course of the game. almost like i'm remote controllin 'em. i always keep it positive, and i'm more apt to praise a player for making a good pass, or taking a good cutoff angle in ball (or a good block in football) than i am for making a shot or scoring a td.

wherever they are when they come in at the beginning of the season *draws upward curve* i want them to finish way better at the end. whether that is from horrible to marginal, marginal to decent, decent to good, good to very good or very good to great, it don't matter. you have to get better every time you set foot on the court or field.

and likewise, our team trajectory should follow a similar pattern.

>FAVORITE RESOURCES:

my son that hoop put me up on ten000hours. i really like what that cat is doing as far as basketball training. he drops a lot of jewels.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2336591 Previous topic | Next topic