Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjecthere're my answers:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2336591&mesg_id=2336714
2336714, here're my answers:
Posted by poetx, Wed Jun-11-14 04:05 PM
>SPORTS COACHED:

Basketball, Football

>AGE/GENDER COACHED:
football
- from 5-7 -> 14yo (rec and pop warner) assistant, HC
- middle school (public school) - assistant / OC
- high school (JV, Varsity) - HC, assistant
- semi-pro player/coach, OC (passing game coordinator)

basketball
- from 5yo -> 12yo (parks and rec, multiple years, multiple towns)
- middle school girls - HC
- middle school boys - assistant
- JV girls - HC
- JV boys - assistant
- Varsity girls - HC
- Varsity boys - assistant
- boys AAU - assistant (9th, 10th)

>COACHING STYLE / STRATEGY:

football - power spread offense (pro style passing w/ audibles, reads, etc), attacking defense w/ zone coverage.

bball - pressing attack, multiple defense (2-3

overall, my approach is to tailor the style to the personnel. i have things i LIKE to do, and i try to push kids, but i don't try and force square pegs into round holes. for example, if i have a bunch of uncoordinated or slow kids on a bball team, we not playing man to man defense.

i do, however, try to gain scheme advantage and create mismatches.

also, having spent a LOT of time coaching kids around middle school aged or so, i know that having the long term view is important. the kid who is killing it may just be getting over due to physical advantage from having matured early, and that kid on the bench could be a monster in their junior or senior year.

i don't yell AT kids, but i yell to them. i'm very vocal, especially in bball, but in football, too, and i'm constantly shouting encouragement and directions throughout the course of the game. almost like i'm remote controllin 'em. i always keep it positive, and i'm more apt to praise a player for making a good pass, or taking a good cutoff angle in ball (or a good block in football) than i am for making a shot or scoring a td.

wherever they are when they come in at the beginning of the season *draws upward curve* i want them to finish way better at the end. whether that is from horrible to marginal, marginal to decent, decent to good, good to very good or very good to great, it don't matter. you have to get better every time you set foot on the court or field.

and likewise, our team trajectory should follow a similar pattern.

>FAVORITE RESOURCES:

my son that hoop put me up on ten000hours. i really like what that cat is doing as far as basketball training. he drops a lot of jewels.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
** i move away from the mic to breathe in