Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2308141

Subject: "" Previous topic | Next topic
Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Wed Mar-19-14 10:23 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
""

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10630211/golden-tate-says-seattle-seahawks-contract-offer-was-laughable

Former Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Golden Tate, who signed a five-year, $31 million deal with Detroit last week, said the offer from Seattle was "laughable" and that he is disappointed in how some Seahawks fans have turned on him for leaving.

"I'm just appalled at the attitude I've received on Twitter from people I thought were Golden Tate fans," Tate said Tuesday on 710 ESPN Seattle. "People are starting to show their true colors. I think the world of the 12s Seahawks fans, but there is a large group who very quickly turned on me. It kind of bothered me because I felt like I gave everything I possibly could to the city of Seattle.

"I was out in the community and I played my tail off every game. And I helped bring the first ever Super Bowl championship to Seattle. I don't care who you are. If you have an opportunity to earn way more money in another city, you'll leave in a second. Every single person in the world would have done what I did."

Tate feels the fans expected too much after he said he was willing the give the Seahawks a hometown discount.

"I didn't mean a 40 percent discount," Tate said. "I'm going to earn in one year at Detroit what Seattle was going to pay me for two years. Seattle offered numbers that were laughable. I thought, 'I've given you everything and this is what you give me?'

"Considering I was there for four years, and started two of those years. I missed one game in those two years. I did everything right and wasn't a trouble maker. And what they offered, I was like, 'Is this serious?' The numbers the Seahawks shot at me were not first-priority, like they said they wanted to do for me to stay in Seattle."

Tate said he also is looking forward to playing for a team that emphasizes the passing game more than the Seahawks do.

"I'm going from a run-heavy offense to a pass-happy offense," he said. "It's a chance to be the player I always imagined being."

Despite his disappointment over the offer he received for the Seahawks, Tate said he left on good terms with Seattle coach Pete Carroll and everyone in the organization.

"Pete called me that night when he signed with Detroit and wished me good luck," Tate said. "He said, 'If you need anything ever, call me.'"

But Tate also feels the Seahawks didn't appreciate him enough to make competitive offer.

"It's a business and I get it," Tate said. "But I felt I was undervalued a little bit considering all I had done. I'm going to miss the city of Seattle, but I really had no choice. I did my very best to stay in Seattle. I leave with my head high."

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
um, it looks like free agency worked for everybody
Mar 19th 2014
Golden Bait
Mar 19th 2014
Nothing you wanna hear more than your prize FA pining to go "home"
Mar 19th 2014
Golden Tate is winning. That's all he needs to focus on.
Mar 19th 2014
got a ring. Got his paper. Seattle didnt overpay him. Left on good terms...
Mar 19th 2014
he's very good, actually
Mar 19th 2014
Sounds like he needs to logoff of Twitter
Mar 19th 2014
^^^^
Mar 19th 2014
Tate was clearly expendable
Mar 19th 2014

will_5198
Charter member
63113 posts
Wed Mar-19-14 10:34 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "um, it looks like free agency worked for everybody"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle didn't overpay for a very replaceable player and Tate got paid for his efforts elsewhere. Tate is too old to be thinking about "loyalty" and "discounts" in the NFL.

--------

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Wed Mar-19-14 10:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Golden Bait"
In response to Reply # 0

He's good but I think Baldwin will be better

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66757 posts
Wed Mar-19-14 10:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Nothing you wanna hear more than your prize FA pining to go "home""
In response to Reply # 0

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Wed Mar-19-14 10:56 AM

4. "Golden Tate is winning. That's all he needs to focus on. "
In response to Reply # 0

Proverbs 9 : 7-9
7 Whoever corrects a mocker invites insults;
whoever rebukes the wicked incurs abuse.
8 Do not rebuke mockers or they will hate you;
rebuke the wise and they will love you.
http://instagram.com/casethenupe

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85116 posts
Wed Mar-19-14 11:20 AM

5. "got a ring. Got his paper. Seattle didnt overpay him. Left on good terms..."
In response to Reply # 0

whats not to like here.

<--- Big Baller World Order

rjc27
Charter member
14602 posts
Wed Mar-19-14 12:21 PM

6. "he's very good, actually"
In response to Reply # 0

he's gonna eat being across from megatron this year

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5616 posts
Wed Mar-19-14 02:12 PM

7. "Sounds like he needs to logoff of Twitter"
In response to Reply # 0

I think most normal Seattle fans wish him well. I for one am excited to see what he can do opposite of 'tron. Seattle couldn't pay him what the Lions did, though. I get it all the way around.

But if he's looking at his Twitter feed to gauge fan reaction, well, he's probably gonna hear from a lot of f-ing morons.

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Wed Mar-19-14 02:21 PM

8. "^^^^"
In response to Reply # 7

>I think most normal Seattle fans wish him well. I for one am
>excited to see what he can do opposite of 'tron. Seattle
>couldn't pay him what the Lions did, though. I get it all the
>way around.
>
>But if he's looking at his Twitter feed to gauge fan reaction,
>well, he's probably gonna hear from a lot of f-ing morons.

ShowtimeTate shouldn't be surprised if any fan in general doesn't think as highly of himself as he does

villian_1998
Charter member
4852 posts
Wed Mar-19-14 03:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "Tate was clearly expendable"
In response to Reply # 0

They have Baldwin, Kearse, and Harvin. They signed Price so they're ok for now. ESPN had me thinking that the Seahawks could look at Kenny Britt, which I agree with now.
---------------------------------------
<< Seattle by moonlight...

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2308141 Previous topic | Next topic