Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subject
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2308141
2308141, Is Golden Tate any good? Seattle's offer was laughable © GT
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Wed Mar-19-14 10:23 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10630211/golden-tate-says-seattle-seahawks-contract-offer-was-laughable

Former Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Golden Tate, who signed a five-year, $31 million deal with Detroit last week, said the offer from Seattle was "laughable" and that he is disappointed in how some Seahawks fans have turned on him for leaving.

"I'm just appalled at the attitude I've received on Twitter from people I thought were Golden Tate fans," Tate said Tuesday on 710 ESPN Seattle. "People are starting to show their true colors. I think the world of the 12s Seahawks fans, but there is a large group who very quickly turned on me. It kind of bothered me because I felt like I gave everything I possibly could to the city of Seattle.

"I was out in the community and I played my tail off every game. And I helped bring the first ever Super Bowl championship to Seattle. I don't care who you are. If you have an opportunity to earn way more money in another city, you'll leave in a second. Every single person in the world would have done what I did."

Tate feels the fans expected too much after he said he was willing the give the Seahawks a hometown discount.

"I didn't mean a 40 percent discount," Tate said. "I'm going to earn in one year at Detroit what Seattle was going to pay me for two years. Seattle offered numbers that were laughable. I thought, 'I've given you everything and this is what you give me?'

"Considering I was there for four years, and started two of those years. I missed one game in those two years. I did everything right and wasn't a trouble maker. And what they offered, I was like, 'Is this serious?' The numbers the Seahawks shot at me were not first-priority, like they said they wanted to do for me to stay in Seattle."

Tate said he also is looking forward to playing for a team that emphasizes the passing game more than the Seahawks do.

"I'm going from a run-heavy offense to a pass-happy offense," he said. "It's a chance to be the player I always imagined being."

Despite his disappointment over the offer he received for the Seahawks, Tate said he left on good terms with Seattle coach Pete Carroll and everyone in the organization.

"Pete called me that night when he signed with Detroit and wished me good luck," Tate said. "He said, 'If you need anything ever, call me.'"

But Tate also feels the Seahawks didn't appreciate him enough to make competitive offer.

"It's a business and I get it," Tate said. "But I felt I was undervalued a little bit considering all I had done. I'm going to miss the city of Seattle, but I really had no choice. I did my very best to stay in Seattle. I leave with my head high."
2308143, um, it looks like free agency worked for everybody
Posted by will_5198, Wed Mar-19-14 10:34 AM
Seattle didn't overpay for a very replaceable player and Tate got paid for his efforts elsewhere. Tate is too old to be thinking about "loyalty" and "discounts" in the NFL.
2308144, Golden Bait
Posted by jigga, Wed Mar-19-14 10:38 AM
He's good but I think Baldwin will be better
2308145, Nothing you wanna hear more than your prize FA pining to go "home"
Posted by Ceej, Wed Mar-19-14 10:38 AM
2308154, Golden Tate is winning. That's all he needs to focus on.
Posted by Case_One, Wed Mar-19-14 10:56 AM

Proverbs 9 : 7-9
7 Whoever corrects a mocker invites insults;
whoever rebukes the wicked incurs abuse.
8 Do not rebuke mockers or they will hate you;
rebuke the wise and they will love you.
http://instagram.com/casethenupe
2308159, got a ring. Got his paper. Seattle didnt overpay him. Left on good terms.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Mar-19-14 11:20 AM
whats not to like here.
2308180, he's very good, actually
Posted by rjc27, Wed Mar-19-14 12:21 PM
he's gonna eat being across from megatron this year
2308227, Sounds like he needs to logoff of Twitter
Posted by GOMEZ, Wed Mar-19-14 02:12 PM
I think most normal Seattle fans wish him well. I for one am excited to see what he can do opposite of 'tron. Seattle couldn't pay him what the Lions did, though. I get it all the way around.

But if he's looking at his Twitter feed to gauge fan reaction, well, he's probably gonna hear from a lot of f-ing morons.
2308231, ^^^^
Posted by jigga, Wed Mar-19-14 02:21 PM
>I think most normal Seattle fans wish him well. I for one am
>excited to see what he can do opposite of 'tron. Seattle
>couldn't pay him what the Lions did, though. I get it all the
>way around.
>
>But if he's looking at his Twitter feed to gauge fan reaction,
>well, he's probably gonna hear from a lot of f-ing morons.

ShowtimeTate shouldn't be surprised if any fan in general doesn't think as highly of himself as he does

2308252, Tate was clearly expendable
Posted by villian_1998, Wed Mar-19-14 03:24 PM
They have Baldwin, Kearse, and Harvin. They signed Price so they're ok for now. ESPN had me thinking that the Seahawks could look at Kenny Britt, which I agree with now.
---------------------------------------
<< Seattle by moonlight...