Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2215379

Subject: "The Asiatic Warrior with the advantage at Jets camp (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
LBs Finest
Member since Sep 28th 2005
19846 posts
Thu Aug-01-13 02:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Asiatic Warrior with the advantage at Jets camp (swipe)"

Who didn't see this coming...

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9526266/geno-smith-outplaying-mark-sanchez-first-week-new-york-jets-training-camp

Geno Smith outplaying Mark Sanchez

Updated: August 1, 2013, 1:03 PM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- Rookie Geno Smith has outplayed Mark Sanchez through the first week of training camp, pulling even or perhaps ahead in the New York Jets' quarterback competition.

"He can do more" than Sanchez, one veteran said Wednesday, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

SANCHEZ vs. SMITH: WHO'S WINNING?

Wednesday's advantage: Smith
Smith's day: He went 5-for-6 with two sacks. He's still not getting rid of the ball quickly enough.
Sanchez's day: He was 3-for-10 with a drop and an interception. Antonio Cromartie got the pick.
Quote: "Look what happened in Seattle ... Wilson starts Game 1 and never relinquishes the ball." -- Braylon Edwards on youth vs. experience at QB.

It was Sanchez's turn to lead the starting unit and he struggled, throwing an interception for the second straight practice. Smith has yet to throw an interception in team drills over the first five practices.

It's premature to anoint a starter -- after all, they haven't begun live tackling -- but the early development is noteworthy because people close to the team expected Sanchez, based on his experience, to look sharper than Smith at the outset. That hasn't been the case.

"Everybody gets enamored with the guy who throws a 96 mph fastball," Ryan said of Smith. To be politically correct, Ryan quickly added, "But Mark certainly has a good enough arm to play in this league."

It didn't sound like a ringing endorsement. Sanchez declined to say whether he believes he's leading the competition.

"I don't know, ask the coaches," he said. "I feel good, though. I feel confident. I feel like I'm playing really well."

Smith has sparkled with his accuracy, but he tends to hold the ball too long when facing pressure, according to Ryan. That, he said, "concerns me a little bit." The organization knows what it has in Sanchez, who was benched late last season.

Privately, the hope is that Smith can master the offense and seize the starting job. Even if he doesn't win it, Smith will be involved in the offense. Even though Tim Tebow is gone, Ryan said he remains committed to running the ball from the quarterback position.

He's intrigued by Smith's running ability, which would give them a run-pass option at the quarterback position. Ryan acknowledged the plan, admitting last year's strategy under former coordinator Tony Sparano was ill-conceived. They never trusted Tebow to throw the ball. Whenever they used him, it usually was a read-option running play between the tackles.

"I think if that's the only thing you do with that position, why don't you just leave a running back in, a guy that's trained to do it?" Ryan said, second-guessing last season's approach. "If you're going to have a quarterback do it, like a (Colin) Kaepernick or somebody like that, it becomes more of a weapon because you know it's not just Tebow coming and he's going to run the ball. That's kind of where we were last year."

Ryan laughed when asked if he plans to use the Wildcat -- or read option -- more than last year. Tebow finished with 32 rushes, averaging only 3.2 yards per carry.

"We probably will because, you guys say it, we never used it," he said. "So I would say, yeah, I think that will be part of what we do."

In the Wildcat, the ball is snapped to a non-quarterback. In those situations, the Jets can utilize wide receiver Jeremy Kerley or a running back, probably Bilal Powell. When Smith is on the field, either as the starter or a change-of-pace quarterback, they can employ the read-option.

The presence of new quarterbacks coach David Lee, one of the Wildcat innovators, is another reason why they're planning to use it. Sanchez said he could run the read-option, but there's little chance of that happening. His running ability will forever be linked to the "Butt Fumble," when he ran into a lineman's rear end last season.

Smith's athleticism could be a factor in the quarterback decision. Sanchez acknowledged that Smith is "very talented when it comes to that stuff. But I can't worry about it." Sanchez joked about the quarterback competition, mentioning that he sees more front-office types on the field for practice, scribbling notes during routine drills.

He said it reminds him of his rookie year in 2009, when he won the job against Kellen Clemens.

"For you (reporters), it's your job, but it's funny to see everybody else charting stuff," he said. "Everything is under scrutiny. There's a ton of pressure. That's the way you like it, that's the way you play this position."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I look forward to watching this story develop.
Aug 01st 2013
lol the Jets have so many anonymous leaks
Aug 01st 2013
      the leaks/drama have chilled with Idzik, and w/o Tebow
Aug 02nd 2013
LMAO @ the focus on Smith's "athleticism"
Aug 01st 2013
RE: LMAO @ the focus on Smith's "athleticism"
Aug 01st 2013
in fairness, 95% of the coverage as been about his arm, strictly
Aug 02nd 2013
So what if they say he's more athletic than Sanchez?
Aug 02nd 2013
      then maybe, just maybe, he's more athletic than Sanchez.
Aug 02nd 2013
      the Baldinger thing pissed me off a little bit
Aug 02nd 2013
      You must have been living under a rock since pre-draft
Aug 02nd 2013
           I'm sure there's a few disgruntled fans who wanted someone else
Aug 02nd 2013
           Yup
Aug 02nd 2013
           All the Jets fans I know are rooting for Geno...myself included..
Aug 02nd 2013
                Basically
Aug 02nd 2013
           and since u brought up Tone...wtf at this dude man
Aug 02nd 2013
                yea, i have no idea what is going on with him.
Aug 02nd 2013
                     It's That Lis Franc Injury
Aug 02nd 2013
           wait? WHAT?!?
Aug 02nd 2013
           What I don't understand is his draft day slide..
Aug 27th 2013
                dude, there was no slide, Geno Smith wasn't a first-round pick
Aug 27th 2013
                     Damn, dude. After one game post-ankle injury?
Aug 27th 2013
                          oh I woulda said that before the draft, I don't see him on that level
Aug 27th 2013
                               *record scratch*
Aug 27th 2013
                                    don't care much about Trent Dilfer, nor am I discussing Geno's supposed
Aug 27th 2013
                                         L. He won his first NFL game by himself. He was the entire offense.
Sep 08th 2013
                                              LOL
Sep 08th 2013
                                                   o, right: Tavon Austin is the reason he was throwing lazers all day
Sep 08th 2013
                                                        you trying to hand me an L off this game=LOL, that's all.
Sep 08th 2013
                                                             If he had thrown 4 picks you'd be in here like Nawrocki
Sep 08th 2013
                                                                  nah, I wouldn't actually, I got no axe to grind with Geno Smith
Sep 08th 2013
                                                                       You talked about work ethic, character, and Tavon Austin.
Sep 08th 2013
                                                                            I said I'd rather have Tavon Austin. And I still would. Sorry, bro.
Sep 08th 2013
                                                                                 Yeah, you got caught lying. We still cool though.
Sep 08th 2013
                                                                                      nah, you got caught reading what you wanted rather than what was there
Sep 08th 2013
                                                                                      So, Geno's success was all Tavon Austin, right?
Oct 07th 2013
                                                                                      didn't actually say that & still don't like Geno Smith as an NFL starter
Oct 08th 2013
                                                                                      http://tinyurl.com/msa9wh2
Oct 08th 2013
                                                                                      http://www.terezowens.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/close-UP.jpg
Oct 08th 2013
did andrew luck run?
Aug 02nd 2013
      Luck was a very good runner at QB in college
Aug 27th 2013
Who the new shorty in the video?
Aug 01st 2013
uh....maybe the eagles should have drafted him
Aug 02nd 2013
if he pans out this is a definite L for a few teams in round 2
Aug 02nd 2013
Different reporter: The Aztec Warrior with the advantage at Jets camp
Aug 02nd 2013
whoever is under center there is fucked n/m
Aug 02nd 2013
Geno's injury opens up the door for Sanchez to secure the job
Aug 19th 2013
Sanchez was already winning the job prior to it
Aug 20th 2013
you're so pressed
Aug 24th 2013
      not at all, I've long ago washed my hands with this entire shit
Aug 25th 2013
the reason I disagree with you is, maybe the rook just isnt ready
Aug 20th 2013
      Geno been hurt. That's why Rex hasn't named Sanchez.
Aug 20th 2013
      I'm not complaining that Rex hasn't named a starter
Aug 20th 2013
           What is the point of starting Sanchez?
Aug 21st 2013
                honestly, to absorb the ugly end of the Rex era
Aug 25th 2013
      OE, do you agree with me he isn't ready yet? Or you wanna c an INT recor...
Aug 26th 2013
           Well duh at this stage. That has nothing to do with the prior debate.
Aug 27th 2013
GENO COMING BACK STRONG!!!
Aug 21st 2013
GENO!!
Aug 24th 2013
Sigh
Aug 24th 2013
lmao
Aug 24th 2013
      Maan, My Only Solace
Aug 24th 2013
           The defense looked real good actually, they really should just start Mce...
Aug 26th 2013
           There should be more solace than that....
Aug 27th 2013
lmfao
Aug 24th 2013
Sanchez gets hurt late in the 4th quarter
Aug 24th 2013
Geno tried to throw the game away
Aug 24th 2013
      so what? why the fuck did they put their starter back in?
Aug 25th 2013
           Geno Started
Aug 25th 2013
                But they told Mark he wasnt even playing that game
Aug 26th 2013
                I get that but you know what I mean
Aug 26th 2013
                     I Hear What You're Saying
Aug 26th 2013
                          didnt need to, Geno established himself as unequivocably NOT the starter
Aug 26th 2013
                               I'm pretty sure I've seen Sanchise throw 3 INTs in the first half before
Aug 31st 2013
                                    pretty sure u never seen a QB throw 3 & fall out his own end zone before
Aug 31st 2013
                                         lol tru dat...but he's a rookie so i think we should cut him some slack
Aug 31st 2013
I'd be really surprised if he's a good pro
Aug 31st 2013
Geno Smith era to start(link)
Aug 31st 2013
He got Young Old Nigga Syndrome but
Sep 08th 2013
What dat mean?
Sep 08th 2013
      Think Greg Oden
Sep 08th 2013
Sup y'all. What's for dinner?
Sep 22nd 2013
I had a cool lil salad tonight.
Oct 07th 2013
      i had an omelette. mushroom and onion with frank's on top
Oct 08th 2013
           Hi, I grilled some chicken, chopped & seasoned some potatoes
Oct 08th 2013
           Nothing green up in that piece?
Oct 08th 2013
                nah, I really need to up my green-eating, particularly in the evening
Oct 08th 2013
           My what?
Oct 08th 2013
                ^^^Started From The Bottom Now We Here
Oct 08th 2013
https://twitter.com/TurnOnTheJets/status/387422876309012480/photo/1
Oct 07th 2013
AFC Offensive Player of the Week
Oct 09th 2013

Buck
Member since Feb 15th 2005
16160 posts
Thu Aug-01-13 02:39 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I look forward to watching this story develop."
In response to Reply # 0

*bookmarks NY Post sports page*

LBs Finest
19846 posts
Thu Aug-01-13 02:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "lol the Jets have so many anonymous leaks"
In response to Reply # 1

rjc27
Charter member
14602 posts
Fri Aug-02-13 07:46 AM

6. "the leaks/drama have chilled with Idzik, and w/o Tebow"
In response to Reply # 2

this story will be covered on the field for once...

I still hope Sanchez starts week 1, only because I'd like Geno to sit the first half and keep preparing, 2nd half schedule eases up, let him take the reigns then

<< Started From The Bottom

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Thu Aug-01-13 09:13 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "LMAO @ the focus on Smith's "athleticism" "
In response to Reply # 0

Dude did zero running in college and has one of the
best ARMS in the league

Let his black ass drop back and PASS the ball

WOW white people can be mean

Ill Jux
Member since Jan 19th 2007
14705 posts
Thu Aug-01-13 11:07 PM

4. "RE: LMAO @ the focus on Smith's "athleticism" "
In response to Reply # 3

lol, i had negroes at my job telling me smith is a running qb, i'm like "did u ever watch him play at wvu?". they pointed to his 40 time at the combine and the fact that he's black and all black qb's can run(foh). even if he can run well why do you want him out of the pocket, let him run the offense and stay on the field.

______

in the memory of NYC upt JUX�

rjc27
Charter member
14602 posts
Fri Aug-02-13 07:47 AM

7. "in fairness, 95% of the coverage as been about his arm, strictly"
In response to Reply # 3

like all you hear during practice on twitter is how pretty every throw is...

but already seeing some 'cism, not only with the running comments, but that hack Brian Baldinger randomly deciding to say he was out of shape

guru0509
Charter member
45359 posts
Fri Aug-02-13 08:02 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "So what if they say he's more athletic than Sanchez?"
In response to Reply # 7

Anyone who has seen Geno Smith play, knows that he has a stronger arm, is bigger, stronger, and faster. That means he's a better athlete lol.

Maybe it's just me but I don't see anything wrong or any cism here. The Jets didn't draft him as an "athlete" to move around at various positions. They brought him in as a QB, and he's getting a fair shake.

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18388 posts
Fri Aug-02-13 08:33 AM

10. "then maybe, just maybe, he's more athletic than Sanchez."
In response to Reply # 8

rjc27
Charter member
14602 posts
Fri Aug-02-13 08:34 AM

11. "the Baldinger thing pissed me off a little bit"
In response to Reply # 8

when do you hear an analyst ripping a qb for being out of shape based on qb sprints at the end of practice? Nobody else has even mentioned it either, all the reports have been glowing on the kid... I still think a year on the bench would ultimately be his best play, but if he looks like the better player may as well throw him into the fire and get the growing pains started

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Fri Aug-02-13 08:44 AM

13. "You must have been living under a rock since pre-draft"
In response to Reply # 8

Geno is already one of the most hated athletes in New York,
for....pouting on the sideline against Syracuse

White Jets fans are openly rooting against dude

And apparently all of his college success was because
of his receivers...all of it. Every bit.

*head scratches*

There is zero to dislike about him

Zilch

White are a joy to behold, though

guru0509
Charter member
45359 posts
Fri Aug-02-13 09:01 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "I'm sure there's a few disgruntled fans who wanted someone else"
In response to Reply # 13

..but I don't think it's that bad. I don't really read a lot of jets blogs or beat writers in the offseason (unless there's news about mangold or santonio)

>Geno is already one of the most hated athletes in New York,
>for....pouting on the sideline against Syracuse

if he was smiling he'd have got shit on more. wvu season started off great and ended in a free fall with them playing in a shitty snowy bowl in new york and him finishing 0-3 vs Cuse.

>And apparently all of his college success was because
>of his receivers...all of it. Every bit.

I haven't heard that either. Whatever success WVU had was because largely bc of Geno, and when they lost, Geno had a big part in it is well (especially that awful game vs TTU. he looked TERRIBLE). The main issue was WVU's defense. just putrid.

-------------------

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Fri Aug-02-13 09:08 AM

15. "Yup"
In response to Reply # 14

> if he was smiling he'd have got shit on more. wvu season
>started off great and ended in a free fall with them playing
>in a shitty snowy bowl in new york and him finishing 0-3 vs
>Cuse.

Apparently Geno Smith plays defensive back too.

And he still ended up with 42 TD and 7 picks. Would a
non underachiever gone for 50-0 picks?

>>And apparently all of his college success was because
>>of his receivers...all of it. Every bit.
>
>I haven't heard that either.

You haven't been listening, like, at all.

Whatever success WVU had was
>because largely bc of Geno, and when they lost, Geno had a big
>part in it is well (especially that awful game vs TTU. he
>looked TERRIBLE).

Yeah, one game *definitely* means he should have slid to
the second round.

The main issue was WVU's defense. just
>putrid.

Not according to Jets fans

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

BLACK_ADAM
Member since Mar 21st 2006
4791 posts
Fri Aug-02-13 11:53 AM

20. "All the Jets fans I know are rooting for Geno...myself included.."
In response to Reply # 15

...That said...The only hate I've been hearing/reading is Skipito, Merrill bitchass Hoge and Screamin' A...

Baldinger just needs to fix his fucking finger..

Hook me up with some audio or some print fam...because I just haven't seen it..

"Inspectah Deck, he's like...he's like that dude thatta sit back and watch you play yourself and all that right? And see you sit there and know you lyin; and he'll take you to court after that, cuz he the Inspectah."

RexLongfellow
Charter member
18296 posts
Fri Aug-02-13 06:36 PM

23. "Basically"
In response to Reply # 20

I wanted a shirt that said In Geno We Trust

I don't have anything against Sanchez, but if Geno's better, he's better. Start him from Day 1

rjc27
Charter member
14602 posts
Fri Aug-02-13 09:15 AM

17. "and since u brought up Tone...wtf at this dude man"
In response to Reply # 14

He got hurt in like week 4... he is still barely walking, he is just willing to sit out the year basically, good talent, even seems like a good dude, but he's an awful teammate, which is why I NEVER wanted to give him that contract

Kendall Hunter tore his achilles after and is back, Revis ACL he's back, etc, etc

guru0509
Charter member
45359 posts
Fri Aug-02-13 09:27 AM

18. "yea, i have no idea what is going on with him."
In response to Reply # 17

>He got hurt in like week 4... he is still barely walking, he
>is just willing to sit out the year basically, good talent,
>even seems like a good dude, but he's an awful teammate, which
>is why I NEVER wanted to give him that contract

i guess that foot injury was a lot more serious than i thought.

-------------------

RexLongfellow
Charter member
18296 posts
Fri Aug-02-13 06:38 PM

24. "It's That Lis Franc Injury"
In response to Reply # 18

From what I heard it's the worst type
Then again, MJD got back from it already

rjc27
Charter member
14602 posts
Fri Aug-02-13 09:09 AM

16. "wait? WHAT?!?"

>White Jets fans are openly rooting against dude

Sanchez gets boo'd at his own practices when he throws an incomplete pass... fans have been going nuts for Geno, the whole fanbase is in love with him, that statement could not be further from the truth...

BLACK_ADAM
4791 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 11:13 AM

51. "What I don't understand is his draft day slide.."

The expert "Big Boards" had Geno as *THE* top QB prospect...across the board....

Sure he needs some polish to transition to the pro game...but his remarks and college resum are clearly indicative of an athletic, smart, driven and capable young man hungry to develop and excel...

I also don't understand all the hate...

He's young as shit too!!! The assumption is that there is *AMPLE* room for him to mature and develop..

How many rookie QBs come into the league as *finished* products that are 100% ready on day one?

Most of the great QBs sat for a few years and had a chance to develop away from scrutiny and the spotlight.. Shit Rodgers and Brady had four whole seasons to assimilate to Pro Football... Favre was a backup. Both active Mannings stunk the place out before snapping to...

Guys like Marino and Roethlisberger are special.

How does the saying go? "...You have to be twice as good to be considered half as good..."

Sure does look like fanatical and unrealistic expectations...(with a possible smattering of covert racism...)

I hope this kid pulls a Cam Newton....

"Inspectah Deck, he's like...he's like that dude thatta sit back and watch you play yourself and all that right? And see you sit there and know you lyin; and he'll take you to court after that, cuz he the Inspectah."

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 01:07 PM

53. "dude, there was no slide, Geno Smith wasn't a first-round pick"
In response to Reply # 51

Stop comparing him to Cam Newton, RGIII or any other dude like that because he ain't built like that.

He will never make that level of impact.

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 01:14 PM

54. "Damn, dude. After one game post-ankle injury? "
In response to Reply # 53

>Stop comparing him to Cam Newton, RGIII or any other dude
>like that because he ain't built like that.

>He will never make that level of impact.

In an offense not specifically engineered to fit his
skill set?

You're buggin all the fuck the way out, man.

Chill out.

Remember Cam Newton didn't look very good in the
preseason either, and again, he had everything
built around him.

(C)Keith Murray, "

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 03:35 PM

55. "oh I woulda said that before the draft, I don't see him on that level"
In response to Reply # 54

Last year's rookie QB crop isn't something that happens every year or even every half decade.

Truthfully I don't think any QB that I watched (obviously Matt Barkley included) much last year was really worth a first-round pick in the 2013 draft.

When it looked like Smith was gonna be available to the Eagles at pick four in round two, I was crossing my fingers & hoping Chip Kelly wouldn't take him.

editor's note: I only saw FSU play Clemson & Florida last year so I plead ignorance on EJ Manuel.

But certainly not a West Virginia QB playing that spread with those two receivers (Tavon Austin especially reminds me of Desean Jackson) who got completely shut down by two soft Big-12 defenses (TCU & Texas Tech) in the middle of last season.

The next pro QB that program produces will be the first (I haven't liked one as an NFL prospect since Major Harris but the NFL was still far too racist to give him a shot in the early 90s).

Individually tho I just don't see any particular area that he excels in to hang his hat on to be a starting QB let alone an elite one like Cam or RGIII looked like at the same point.

And his own coaches/teammates don't seem to have all that much positive to say about him from a leadership/intangibles perspective.

So take all that doubt & combine it with a trainwreck organization like the New York Jets, it all adds up to me being a lot more willing to bet 'against' rather than 'for' him being a big success.

We'll see. I have nothing against the kid, I actually feel bad for any young QB going to that team as currently constructed. They're halfway doomed as is.

You got no talent on your side of the ball to help, a lame duck coach who is evolving into Colonel Kurtz levels of rogue/crazy on his way out, the highest level of media scrutiny/nit-picking possible locally which automatically means nationally in that market, Woody Johnson and an unproven GM.

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 05:04 PM

57. "*record scratch*"
In response to Reply # 55

>And his own coaches/teammates don't seem to have all that much
>positive to say about him from a leadership/intangibles
>perspective.

LOL

Like when BOTH receivers said he was the hardest working
player on the team and was responsible for their success?

How about when Trent Dilfer said Smith was the most knowledgeable
of the college QB counselors at the Elite 11, knew the playbook
inside and out?

Its like you didn't bother to watch anything, like, at all.

The Geno Smith character slander was 100% racism, like,
all of it. That it managed to seep into YOUR thinking is
pretty sad.

Personally, I think the racism has gotten to him. The Jets
are a hickville, country bumpkin fanbase and they already
don't like his blackness. He's in a really bad situation.
He seems like a really nice kid...he might not have the skin
thick enough to stand up to such scrutiny. We'll see.

>We'll see. I have nothing against the kid, I actually feel
>bad for any young QB going to that team as currently
>constructed. They're halfway doomed as is.

Well then just say this, because everything else you just
said is an outright, flat lie.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 06:20 PM

58. "don't care much about Trent Dilfer, nor am I discussing Geno's supposed"
In response to Reply # 57

late-pre-draft or combine stock decline, it had already happened in my mind.

The media may have pumped up his coach & other teammates comments but the bottom line is they made them, for your head coach to throw any shade on his first QB hasn't happened since......Mark Sanchez.

And Pete was mainly just mad because he didn't think he was leaving & didn't want to have to start an 18-year-old Matt Barkley for a team with title aspirations the following season.

His stock was declining in my mental rolodex while they were getting shellacked by the Texas' schools & he couldn't lead any scoring drives while it was happening.

I know Tavon Austin said good things about him, good....that's a smart receiver, I didn't say he was the one chirping.

However regarding Austin I personally believe Austin/Bailey helped Geno more than the other way around & I'd rather have Tavon Austin on my team than Geno who again I don't see as a quality long-term starting QB option.

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Sun Sep-08-13 04:24 PM

64. "L. He won his first NFL game by himself. He was the entire offense. "
In response to Reply # 58
Sun Sep-08-13 04:25 PM by Orbit_Established

>However regarding Austin I personally believe Austin/Bailey
>helped Geno more than the other way around & I'd rather have
>Tavon Austin on my team than Geno who again I don't see as a
>quality long-term starting QB option.

He had zero open wide receivers the entire game

Made Kellen Winslow Jr. look like Kellen Winslow sr

Made some excellent reads

Showed discipline and poise

Threw a pick, came right back and scored

This is not like Sanchez who had a ball control offense,
excellent running game to support him

Geno had zero

(C)Keith Murray, "

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sun Sep-08-13 04:25 PM

65. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 64

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Sun Sep-08-13 04:28 PM

66. "o, right: Tavon Austin is the reason he was throwing lazers all day"
In response to Reply # 65

He's got a long way to go, just like every rookie

But for a first start with ZERO talent on offense, he looked
VERY good

(C)Keith Murray, "

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sun Sep-08-13 04:33 PM

68. "you trying to hand me an L off this game=LOL, that's all."
In response to Reply # 66

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Sun Sep-08-13 04:44 PM

69. "If he had thrown 4 picks you'd be in here like Nawrocki"
In response to Reply # 68

Like "See, told you"

Nooooooooooppppee (c) GOAT Basa

Be fair!

He was reading them defenses, showin that poise,
being a LEADER, and throwing ACCURATE LAZERS all
over the field to a team of fucking BUMS

Bwahahah @ Kellen Winslow being the BEST RECEIVER
on the Jets...the ONLY ONE OPEN THE ENTIRE FUCKIN
GAME

(C)Keith Murray, "

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sun Sep-08-13 04:53 PM

71. "nah, I wouldn't actually, I got no axe to grind with Geno Smith"
In response to Reply # 69

I said I don't see him every being on the level of the names dude in this post brought him up amongst (Cam, RGII) nor do I see him ever getting there.

That's my opinion. It certainly ain't changed because he made some nice plays today & the Jets won on a bonehead out-of-bounds play by Tampa.

I could mention that Sanchez threw for nearly 300 yards in a blowout win over a better team with Jericho Cotcherty/Dustin Keller as his best targets in his 1st pro start but in the end who cares?

Had nothing to do with what we were talking about here & doesn't much matter, which is why you handing me an L here gets an LOL.

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Sun Sep-08-13 04:59 PM

72. "You talked about work ethic, character, and Tavon Austin. "
In response to Reply # 71

He showed guts, poise and was throwing lazers all
over the field to receivers worse than Tavon Austin

And even the commentators were pointing it out

So maybe those skills might have had something to
do with his obscene college numbers? Might dude be
able to toss the ball real, real well?

Its an L bro

(C)Keith Murray, "

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sun Sep-08-13 05:14 PM

73. "I said I'd rather have Tavon Austin. And I still would. Sorry, bro."
In response to Reply # 72

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Sun Sep-08-13 05:14 PM

74. "Yeah, you got caught lying. We still cool though. "
In response to Reply # 73

>

(C)Keith Murray, "

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sun Sep-08-13 05:16 PM

75. "nah, you got caught reading what you wanted rather than what was there"
In response to Reply # 74

I won't give you an L for it tho, my dude. It's not that serious.

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Mon Oct-07-13 10:39 PM

78. "So, Geno's success was all Tavon Austin, right? "
In response to Reply # 75

K.

(C)Keith Murray, "

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Oct-08-13 03:57 PM

83. "didn't actually say that & still don't like Geno Smith as an NFL starter"
In response to Reply # 78

*shrugs*

He's been slightly better than I thought he'd be early which still ain't been very good.

Can't really say what Tayvon is up to, looks like not much but I haven't watched his team play.

If you wanna be pressed & update this every time Geno plays well, be my guest.

That would make it telling that it hadn't been upped in a minute.

Really if I was interested I guess I coulda upped it after his hula-hoop-fumble four-turnover debacle last week when he was the lowest-rated starter in the NFL & tied for Eli with a league-leading 11 turnovers but I guess I'm just chill like that & it's a marathon not a sprint.

I don't wish dude any ill will, I do happen to dislike the awful organization he plays for at this point but as for him I just don't believe he projects as a long-term quality starting QB (especially being stuck on the Jets) & that certainly ain't changed off these five games.

https://soundcloud.com/matt-koelling-666011203

www.somethinginthewudder.com

https://twitter.com/nostrabombus

https://www.facebook.com/matt.koelling.96

https://www.instagram.com/something_in_the_wudder/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/matt-koelling-438a80

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Tue Oct-08-13 04:20 PM

88. "http://tinyurl.com/msa9wh2"
In response to Reply # 83

http://tinyurl.com/msa9wh2

(C)Keith Murray, "

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Oct-08-13 04:32 PM

89. "http://www.terezowens.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/close-UP.jpg"
In response to Reply # 88

http://www.terezowens.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/close-UP.jpg

thejerseytornado
Member since Dec 24th 2005
26425 posts
Fri Aug-02-13 01:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
21. "did andrew luck run?"
In response to Reply # 3

same rushing attempts (actually, smith had more).

-----------
Y'all stupid...should've tanked for Lebron/Wiggins in 2014 -Rex LongFellow

It's only funny till someone gets mad. Then it's hilarious.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 03:51 PM

56. "Luck was a very good runner at QB in college"
In response to Reply # 21

particularly his second year more than his final one.

Starks dunked on Bulls
Member since Dec 07th 2011
12028 posts
Thu Aug-01-13 11:38 PM

5. "Who the new shorty in the video?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Aug-01-13 11:38 PM by Starks dunked on Bul

She sounds knowledgeable too.

southphillyman
Member since Oct 22nd 2003
90059 posts
Fri Aug-02-13 08:30 AM

9. "uh....maybe the eagles should have drafted him"
In response to Reply # 0

hope this doesn't come back to be a L

~~~~~~

rjc27
Charter member
14602 posts
Fri Aug-02-13 08:36 AM

12. "if he pans out this is a definite L for a few teams in round 2"
In response to Reply # 9

in front of the Jets, Philly, Jacksonville, and Zona specifically, and of course Buffalo if he is better then EJ

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27116 posts
Fri Aug-02-13 09:47 AM

19. "Different reporter: The Aztec Warrior with the advantage at Jets camp"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Aug-02-13 09:54 AM by 40thStreetBlack

Practice Report: Sanchez's day

By Jane McManus | ESPNNewYork.com

AUG 1
3:10 PM ET

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- With live goal-line drills in the mix, New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez had his day, showing that experience counts for something.

Sanchez was 10-for-16 with two touchdown passes, an interception and a sack during Thursday's practice. The pick wasn't as costly as it looks on paper, because it came during a situation with one second on the clock. Sanchez heaved it up, and CB Darrin Walls came down with the ball in the end zone. Calvin Pace, who continues to have a strong camp, brought the pressure on Sanchez during the play.

Rookie Geno Smith looked more tentative, especially in short goal-line situations. Each quarterback got three chances, and Smith was sacked on the first and threw it away on the second before connecting with Konrad Reuland in the end zone. Sanchez was 2-for-3 in his attempts, and the incompletion was a pretty nice dart to Braylon Edwards in the middle.

Overall, Smith was 5-for-10 with two sacks and the touchdown. The highlight for Smith was a well-thrown 50-yard pass to Ryan Spadola, who stretched for the catch and got fans cheering. Smith's two sacks seems to be a daily average. It might take a preseason game with live tackling to get a better sense of how evasive he is.

The two quarterbacks are still close, and it's a legitimate competition. That fact alone should disappoint Sanchez supporters. With four seasons under his belt, the quarterback should look better in training camp.

While Smith shows he can get 50 yards of air under the ball, Sanchez has mastery of the shorter, screen-type passes. This competition is far from over.

Thursday's advantage: Sanchez

Geno Smith's day: He went 5-for-10 with two sacks and a TD. Highlight was a 50-yard pass to Ryan Spadola.
Mark Sanchez's day: He was 10-for-16 with a sack, an INT and two TDs. The INT came on a last-second Hail Mary.
Quote: "I thought Mark did a great job, especially on the gotta-have-its."
-- coach Rex Ryan

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/24767/practice-report-sanchezs-day

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Fri Aug-02-13 01:09 PM

22. "whoever is under center there is fucked n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

LBs Finest
19846 posts
Mon Aug-19-13 10:29 PM

25. "Geno's injury opens up the door for Sanchez to secure the job"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Aug-19-13 10:31 PM by LBs Finest

I still see Sanchise making the same dumbass throws tho...and I was always under the impression that when you have a rookie QB who was drafted high legitimately competing for the starting job, if the vet is only slighter better, you play the rook.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Aug-20-13 12:15 AM

26. "Sanchez was already winning the job prior to it"
In response to Reply # 25

if the Jets are smart they should let Geno avoid this shitshow & plug him in after Rex is gone this offseason, this organization will ruin him regardless but he'd be better off not starting day one.

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Sat Aug-24-13 09:53 PM

39. "you're so pressed"
In response to Reply # 26

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sun Aug-25-13 10:17 AM

41. "not at all, I've long ago washed my hands with this entire shit"
In response to Reply # 39

the franchise is a joke, the supporting cast on offense is the worst in the league, the coach is a lame duck plus crazy, Sanchez is finished mentally but all that being said he's sucked a bit less than Geno thru this preseason & if people like Geno they don't want him in there right now.

That dude is lost & it ain't about an injury, you don't run out of the back of the end zone because you're hurt.

rjc27
Charter member
14602 posts
Tue Aug-20-13 07:53 AM

27. "the reason I disagree with you is, maybe the rook just isnt ready"
In response to Reply # 25

a lot of people have the same mindset as you... but Sanchez has had a strong camp, of course he's still had an awful int in each game (as has flacco, eli, etc) I know both of them have won sb's and not comparing sanchez but point is, it is a new offense and he's played well enough to earn the job.

To the point that it's close enough may as well play the rookie, I'd agree if I thought the rookie was ready. He isn't, his play has went downhill the past week, his release is slow, his footwork needs improvement, these are things I'm hoping he gets better at, but give him some time. HE was not a top 10 pick, he was a second round pick that every team in the NFL passed on, he's not some can't miss qb prospect. Let him sit for the the first month, keep working hard in practice, and when the jets are inevitably 1-4 you let the young man come in and learn with less pressure and a better grasp of the offense. That's at least my hope.

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Tue Aug-20-13 07:57 AM

28. "Geno been hurt. That's why Rex hasn't named Sanchez. "
In response to Reply # 27

He isn't,
>his play has went downhill the past week, his release is slow,
>his footwork needs improvement, these are things I'm hoping he
>gets better at, but give him some time.

He was firing the ball all over the field prior to the ankle

He busts his ankle and all of a sudden his footwork is bad
and he's throwing picks

That's why Rex isn't naming a starter-

It was actually a dead heat when they were both healthy

He's being fair

rjc27
Charter member
14602 posts
Tue Aug-20-13 09:48 AM

29. "I'm not complaining that Rex hasn't named a starter"
In response to Reply # 28

I hope Geno goes out vs the Giants and lights it up and makes it easy... but I have repeatedly heard he holds onto the ball too long (which most qb's would with this wr corps not being able to get open) Point is, he was a 2nd round rookie qb... if he doesnt start week 1 of his rookie season his career isn't over, people need to chill

LBs Finest
19846 posts
Wed Aug-21-13 02:30 PM

31. "What is the point of starting Sanchez?"
In response to Reply # 29

To go 1-4? you can do that with Geno, hell he can probably start off 3-2, Tampa, Buffalo and Tennessee are beatable. it's time to move on dude.....period.

If it wasn't for that dumb ass contract extension Tannenbaun gave him that YOU DEFENDED while I was laughing my ass off at that move's sheer stupidity, he would've been cut already.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sun Aug-25-13 10:19 AM

42. "honestly, to absorb the ugly end of the Rex era"
In response to Reply # 31

there is zero point in playing Geno right now, he ain't nowhere near ready & a good QB would be fucked with this cast.

rjc27
Charter member
14602 posts
Mon Aug-26-13 08:36 AM

47. "OE, do you agree with me he isn't ready yet? Or you wanna c an INT recor..."
In response to Reply # 27

this season?

@rob_starrk

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 12:41 PM

52. "Well duh at this stage. That has nothing to do with the prior debate. "
In response to Reply # 47

The reports from camp was that he looked stellar.

He got hurt, which seems to be the real setback. That's
why Ryan hadn't named a starter. Because the guy who was
looking better in practice was hurt.

LBs Finest
19846 posts
Wed Aug-21-13 02:14 PM

30. "GENO COMING BACK STRONG!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

15 for 16, 2 TDs

LBs Finest
19846 posts
Sat Aug-24-13 06:23 PM

32. "GENO!!"
In response to Reply # 0

RexLongfellow
Charter member
18296 posts
Sat Aug-24-13 07:42 PM

33. "Sigh"
In response to Reply # 0

LBs Finest
19846 posts
Sat Aug-24-13 07:53 PM

34. "lmao"
In response to Reply # 33

RexLongfellow
Charter member
18296 posts
Sat Aug-24-13 07:56 PM

35. "Maan, My Only Solace"
In response to Reply # 34

Is that the defense looks decent

Geno...after that TD just fell off a cliff.
I'd still start him over Sanchez...rather have a rookie make those mistakes than a 4 year vet.

But my goodness

rjc27
Charter member
14602 posts
Mon Aug-26-13 08:35 AM

45. "The defense looked real good actually, they really should just start Mce..."
In response to Reply # 35

and say, don't throw picks and keep the job, that's it... the aren't a playoff team but they can compete in games and hang around .500 if they just don't turn the ball over constantly

BLACK_ADAM
4791 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 11:02 AM

50. "There should be more solace than that...."
In response to Reply # 35

Geno is the type that studies his mistakes and works to not make them again... His college career should be indicative of that.

The book is still yet to be written on this kid... I'd rather he make those mistakes now than when the games count

3 things t keep in mind when evaluating that performance

1.) He's a rookie/nerves are normal

2.) Prior to Week 3's game he'd only had about 14 live snaps facing an opposing defense..

3.)It's still the Giants and an incredible opportunity to learn.

That said... He faces a Rex Ryan defense in practice every day. Morninhweg will be in his crack and we will learn if the kid can take a horrible game and turn it into a positive.

He needed that experience. Unless his career will be folloewd by an unending series of flawless performances...I think it's safe to assume that he'l have a bad game or two... He's got to learn how to respond to it.

He's got to learn to fight on and his post game remarks seem to indicate that the fire hasn't left his belly....and that's a good thing....

I'm rooting for him.

...and Rex...

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Sat Aug-24-13 08:35 PM

36. "lmfao"
In response to Reply # 0

Just when you thought it couldn't get worse for Geno.

LBs Finest
19846 posts
Sat Aug-24-13 09:06 PM

37. "Sanchez gets hurt late in the 4th quarter"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Aug-24-13 09:07 PM by LBs Finest

Why was he still in there this late into the game with backups? This franchise is a laughingstock.

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Sat Aug-24-13 09:11 PM

38. "Geno tried to throw the game away"
In response to Reply # 37

>Why was he still in there this late into the game with
>backups? This franchise is a laughingstock.

You marked out!

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sun Aug-25-13 10:12 AM

40. "so what? why the fuck did they put their starter back in?"
In response to Reply # 38

because the rookie threw three picks & ran out of the back of his own end zone for a safety?

put in McElroy's chump ass.

what a terrible organization this is, they might as well just fire Rex now because he knows this is his last year & he's gonna be pulling kamikaze bullshit all season as a 'fuck you' to the new GM.

RexLongfellow
Charter member
18296 posts
Sun Aug-25-13 01:14 PM

43. "Geno Started"
In response to Reply # 40

They put in Sanchez because he hasn't played well this pre-season and hasn't separated himself as the clear cut starter

It sucks that he got hurt though, but I'm not mad he got in. I'm more mad that Phil Simms's kid looked like the best QB on the field (including Sheli Fanning)

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66747 posts
Mon Aug-26-13 08:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
44. "But they told Mark he wasnt even playing that game"
In response to Reply # 43

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Mon Aug-26-13 08:36 AM

46. "I get that but you know what I mean "
In response to Reply # 43

RexLongfellow
Charter member
18296 posts
Mon Aug-26-13 11:13 AM

48. "I Hear What You're Saying"
In response to Reply # 46

Thing is, Sanchez hadn't established himself as the starter yet. I think because he played so terrible against Jacksonville, they wanted to get him a chance to outshine Geno to make the decision easier

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Mon Aug-26-13 01:09 PM

49. "didnt need to, Geno established himself as unequivocably NOT the starter"
In response to Reply # 48

with everything that happened in the first three quarters of that football game.

Seriously, that was some of the worst shit I've ever seen in my life & unfortunately I watched the game because it was on 10 TVs in my line of vision wherever I turned.

Rex is a lame duck & it's obvious he's gonna go out blasting while acting crazy.

The Jets would be well-advised to let him sit rather than play with this supporting offensive cast, then hope he can learn/get better thru observation while coming in down the line with more help.

Throw him to the wolves now & Blaine Gabbart's rookie campaign will start looking acceptable.

LBs Finest
19846 posts
Sat Aug-31-13 12:18 AM

59. "I'm pretty sure I've seen Sanchise throw 3 INTs in the first half before"
In response to Reply # 49

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sat Aug-31-13 08:33 AM

60. "pretty sure u never seen a QB throw 3 & fall out his own end zone before"
In response to Reply # 59

LBs Finest
19846 posts
Sat Aug-31-13 09:30 AM

61. "lol tru dat...but he's a rookie so i think we should cut him some slack"
In response to Reply # 60
Sat Aug-31-13 09:32 AM by LBs Finest

Looks like he's gonna start anyway thanks to the Jets bonehead decision to play Sanchez late in the 4th of a preseason game with a bunch of cats that won't even make the roster.

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18644 posts
Sat Aug-31-13 09:39 AM

62. "I'd be really surprised if he's a good pro"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Aug-31-13 09:41 AM by DJR

Granted, I only watched him closely when he played Syracuse but I saw enough. Deer in the headlights when blitzed, took safety's or sacks, and threw picks at the absolute worst times, spent a lot of time pouting and sulking on the sidelines.

Good stats in a system designed for that, but when things weren't coming easy he folded.

Now he has some ability, so in the right situation he could maybe grow and get better. But he's on the Jets who have no clue what they are doing. I just don't see it going well.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Sat Aug-31-13 05:35 PM

63. "Geno Smith era to start(link)"
In response to Reply # 0

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/geno-smith-era-start-york-jets-lose-faith-183645891--nfl.html

ShinobiShaw
Charter member
48550 posts
Sun Sep-08-13 04:30 PM

67. "He got Young Old Nigga Syndrome but "
In response to Reply # 0

He did his thing today.

http://soundcloud.com/djshinobishaw
http://www.rareformnyc.com
http://twitter.com/DJShinobiShaw
https://twitter.com/RareFormNYC
PSN: ShinobiShaw

"Arm Leg Leg Arm How you doin?" (c)T510

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Sun Sep-08-13 04:44 PM

70. "What dat mean? "
In response to Reply # 67

(C)Keith Murray, "

RexLongfellow
Charter member
18296 posts
Sun Sep-08-13 09:24 PM

76. "Think Greg Oden"
In response to Reply # 70

Meaning he look way older than 22

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Sun Sep-22-13 07:06 PM

77. "Sup y'all. What's for dinner?"
In response to Reply # 0

Got some fish, gonna throw it on the Foreman

Cut up some veggies, healthy flow

(C)Keith Murray, "

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Mon Oct-07-13 10:39 PM

79. "I had a cool lil salad tonight. "
In response to Reply # 77

(C)Keith Murray, "

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Tue Oct-08-13 03:05 AM

81. "i had an omelette. mushroom and onion with frank's on top"
In response to Reply # 79

it was the BOMB.

speaking of, hi Bomb!!

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Oct-08-13 03:44 PM

82. "Hi, I grilled some chicken, chopped & seasoned some potatoes"
In response to Reply # 81

a little heavy but delicious.

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Tue Oct-08-13 03:59 PM

84. "Nothing green up in that piece? "
In response to Reply # 82

(C)Keith Murray, "

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Oct-08-13 04:01 PM

85. "nah, I really need to up my green-eating, particularly in the evening"
In response to Reply # 84

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86673 posts
Tue Oct-08-13 04:03 PM

86. "My what?"
In response to Reply # 81

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Oct-08-13 04:05 PM

87. "^^^Started From The Bottom Now We Here"
In response to Reply # 86

rjc27
Charter member
14602 posts
Mon Oct-07-13 10:43 PM

80. "https://twitter.com/TurnOnTheJets/status/387422876309012480/photo/1"
In response to Reply # 0

https://twitter.com/TurnOnTheJets/status/387422876309012480/photo/1

Im gonna troll nawrocki forever

@rob_starrk

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Wed Oct-09-13 01:43 PM

90. "AFC Offensive Player of the Week"
In response to Reply # 0

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/09/monday-night-performance-nets-geno-smith-afc-offensive-player-of-the-week/

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2215379 Previous topic | Next topic