Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2210874

Subject: "ESPN bringing Olbermann back (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
NoShelter
Charter member
8725 posts
Wed Jul-17-13 06:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"ESPN bringing Olbermann back (swipe)"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2013/07/17/espn-keith-olbermann-msnbc-sportscenter-/2524945/

Keith Olbermann returning to ESPN
Reid Cherner, USA TODAY Sports 3:18 p.m. EDT July 17, 2013
Olbermann thought he'd never be back. ESPN thought he'd never be back. And yet, he's back.

2013-07-17 keith olbermann
(Photo: Charles Sykes AP)
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
Olbermann left ESPN in 1997
Former anchor to get a talk show on ESPN2
Olbermann last appeared on Current TV
CONNECT
TWEET
COMMENT
EMAIL
MORE

Keith Olbermann is coming back to ESPN.

Olbermann, one of ESPN's most noted SportsCenter anchors in his days being paired with Dan Patrick, is making his return.

Olbermann, who has been off the air since leaving Current TV a year ago, will host an hour-long show on ESPN2 starting on Aug. 26 and shown at 11 p.m. ET. The show will be titled Olbermann.

After leaving ESPN in 1997, Olbermann had news and political stints with MSNBC, Fox and Current TV.

Olbermann will be a mix of commentary, interviews, highlights and panel discussions.

Leaving many of his past jobs on less than friendly terms Olbermann says he doesn't want to have his past departure from ESPN "to be in the obituary" and pledges to "put a different ending to my relationship with ESPN. We can't go back and undue everything that happened 20 years ago but i would to do my best to correct as much of it as I can and I appreciate the fresh start."

Robert Thompson, the director of the Bleier Center for Television and Popular Culture calls Olbermann "still one of the biggest names that ever came out of " ESPN and thinks his celebrity is a great boost for the network but sees the hire as double-edged.

"He strikes me as a guy who is going to do what he's going to do. And I'm not sure anything can stop it including him, himself."

But Olbermann was happy to talk about his pursuit of making amends.

"I'm as excited about that prospect as I am about the show itself and I'm pretty excited about the show," Olbermann said. " I could apologize a 1,000 times and we could get anybody whoever took offense to anything I ever did and bring them all into one place -- we probably need Yankee Stadium -- and I point to everybody and say 'I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry' and we could do it that way or I could do it as a mass blanket thing...but practically speaking....all that is going to make difference is how I conduct myself."

Keith Olbermann said there is no clause in his contract prohibiting him from talk politics but said he'll only include politics when it rubs about against sports. "If the house is considering a bill to make PED use a capital offense we'll cover it."

ESPN president John Skipper whose first comment was "this makes better" said "we don't ultimately have to work through anything except my having some discussions and being sensitive to some of the previous issues, having some conversations with some of those folks. It was ultimately my decision about whether the merits of Keith's singular talents and being on this show.....it is my getting some comfort with Keith. It is much more about what Keith is going to do than what people at ESPN have in their memory."

Also, in June, Turner Sports re-arranged its baseball lineup, bringing in Olbermann as host of its postseason coverage with Hall of Famer Dennis Eckersley.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Tight. I'd give it a try.
Jul 17th 2013
I wish he was still on MSNBC
Jul 17th 2013
Eh, wish he would have stayed in the political arena
Jul 17th 2013
Is the leather jacket coming back too?
Jul 17th 2013
Suzy Kolber's been there 20 years?!?! Hasn't aged a bit.
Jul 17th 2013
her face is as plastic as hell tho....nm
Jul 17th 2013
      Oh word?
Jul 17th 2013
Man, he looks like he's wearing one of these
Jul 17th 2013
      LMFAO
Jul 17th 2013
Kilborn might as well come back too, he doesn't seem busy n/m
Jul 18th 2013
^^^^
Jul 18th 2013
Cool..but where else was he gonna go?
Jul 18th 2013
Nate Silver Leaving New York Times For ESPN, Keith Olbermann's Show
Jul 19th 2013
Took him long enough to get back in his lane. Kilborn next?
Jul 20th 2013

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86673 posts
Wed Jul-17-13 06:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Tight. I'd give it a try."
In response to Reply # 0

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

guru0509
Charter member
45373 posts
Wed Jul-17-13 06:49 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I wish he was still on MSNBC"
In response to Reply # 0

...but Keith O is that dude.

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Wed Jul-17-13 07:15 PM

3. "Eh, wish he would have stayed in the political arena"
In response to Reply # 0

Any dufus can be OK on SC, I'd prefer him in a harder-hitting show.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Call It Anything
Member since Aug 13th 2005
10951 posts
Wed Jul-17-13 07:20 PM

4. "Is the leather jacket coming back too?"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSS1ljVxxsE

yoose2lurk
Member since Feb 02nd 2005
8999 posts
Wed Jul-17-13 08:26 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Suzy Kolber's been there 20 years?!?! Hasn't aged a bit. "
In response to Reply # 4

---
Dynasty -
noun, plural dy�nas�ties.
1. a sequence of rulers from the same family, stock, or group; Roll Tide.

Alabama Crimson Tide: 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020 Nat’l Champ

guru0509
Charter member
45373 posts
Wed Jul-17-13 08:30 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "her face is as plastic as hell tho....nm"
In response to Reply # 5

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

yoose2lurk
Member since Feb 02nd 2005
8999 posts
Wed Jul-17-13 08:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "Oh word?"
In response to Reply # 6

For some reason I only associate that with Hollywood.

---
Dynasty -
noun, plural dy�nas�ties.
1. a sequence of rulers from the same family, stock, or group; Roll Tide.

Alabama Crimson Tide: 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020 Nat’l Champ

NoShelter
Charter member
8725 posts
Wed Jul-17-13 08:39 PM

7. "Man, he looks like he's wearing one of these"
In response to Reply # 4

http://thegreenstudy.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/canstockphoto7439653.jpg

Mgmt
Member since Feb 17th 2005
21496 posts
Wed Jul-17-13 11:57 PM

9. "LMFAO "
In response to Reply # 7

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Jul-18-13 12:01 AM

10. "Kilborn might as well come back too, he doesn't seem busy n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24448 posts
Thu Jul-18-13 10:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "^^^^"
In response to Reply # 10

This idiot dropped two of the best gigs on TV in Daily Show and Late Night to pursue, what? Nothing? He was in Old School. And .... that was it, right?

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Ascension
Member since Aug 25th 2003
6616 posts
Thu Jul-18-13 11:47 AM

12. "Cool..but where else was he gonna go?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jul-18-13 11:47 AM by Ascension

In the political field..he wasnt going to CNN or Fox..

In Sports, he might of been good at Real Sports on HBO. That's a good move goin back to ESPN..he'll fit right back in no problem.

Instagram: ascensionmusic

j0510
Member since Feb 02nd 2012
2315 posts
Fri Jul-19-13 10:30 PM

13. "Nate Silver Leaving New York Times For ESPN, Keith Olbermann's Show"
In response to Reply # 0

http://deadspin.com/nate-silver-leaving-new-york-times-for-espn-keith-olbe-844764269

Nate Silver Leaving New York Times For ESPN, Keith Olbermann's Show
ANDY HUTCHINS
Today 9:02pm

New York Times media writer Brian Stelter has broken a big bit of news on this Friday night: Nate Silver, sabermetrician and electoral seer, is leaving the Times and heading to ESPN. He's taking FiveThirtyEight with him, too. And yet that's not the juiciest bit.

Stelter also reports that Silver will "most likely be a regular contributor" to Keith Olbermann's new ESPN2 show, due to debut before August is through, and that he will have "a role" with ABC News "in political years."

Silver's time as a full-time baseball analyst was largely over when he joined the Times in 2010, but he wrote for Baseball Prospectus from 2003 to 2009, developing the PECOTA player projection system while with the publication.

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Sat Jul-20-13 12:22 AM

14. "Took him long enough to get back in his lane. Kilborn next? "
In response to Reply # 0

Those motherfuckers were great on Sportscenter. Great.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2210874 Previous topic | Next topic