Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectESPN bringing Olbermann back (swipe)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2210874
2210874, ESPN bringing Olbermann back (swipe)
Posted by NoShelter, Wed Jul-17-13 06:19 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2013/07/17/espn-keith-olbermann-msnbc-sportscenter-/2524945/

Keith Olbermann returning to ESPN
Reid Cherner, USA TODAY Sports 3:18 p.m. EDT July 17, 2013
Olbermann thought he'd never be back. ESPN thought he'd never be back. And yet, he's back.

2013-07-17 keith olbermann
(Photo: Charles Sykes AP)
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
Olbermann left ESPN in 1997
Former anchor to get a talk show on ESPN2
Olbermann last appeared on Current TV
CONNECT
TWEET
COMMENT
EMAIL
MORE

Keith Olbermann is coming back to ESPN.

Olbermann, one of ESPN's most noted SportsCenter anchors in his days being paired with Dan Patrick, is making his return.

Olbermann, who has been off the air since leaving Current TV a year ago, will host an hour-long show on ESPN2 starting on Aug. 26 and shown at 11 p.m. ET. The show will be titled Olbermann.

After leaving ESPN in 1997, Olbermann had news and political stints with MSNBC, Fox and Current TV.

Olbermann will be a mix of commentary, interviews, highlights and panel discussions.

Leaving many of his past jobs on less than friendly terms Olbermann says he doesn't want to have his past departure from ESPN "to be in the obituary" and pledges to "put a different ending to my relationship with ESPN. We can't go back and undue everything that happened 20 years ago but i would to do my best to correct as much of it as I can and I appreciate the fresh start."

Robert Thompson, the director of the Bleier Center for Television and Popular Culture calls Olbermann "still one of the biggest names that ever came out of " ESPN and thinks his celebrity is a great boost for the network but sees the hire as double-edged.

"He strikes me as a guy who is going to do what he's going to do. And I'm not sure anything can stop it including him, himself."

But Olbermann was happy to talk about his pursuit of making amends.

"I'm as excited about that prospect as I am about the show itself and I'm pretty excited about the show," Olbermann said. " I could apologize a 1,000 times and we could get anybody whoever took offense to anything I ever did and bring them all into one place -- we probably need Yankee Stadium -- and I point to everybody and say 'I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry' and we could do it that way or I could do it as a mass blanket thing...but practically speaking....all that is going to make difference is how I conduct myself."

Keith Olbermann said there is no clause in his contract prohibiting him from talk politics but said he'll only include politics when it rubs about against sports. "If the house is considering a bill to make PED use a capital offense we'll cover it."

ESPN president John Skipper whose first comment was "this makes better" said "we don't ultimately have to work through anything except my having some discussions and being sensitive to some of the previous issues, having some conversations with some of those folks. It was ultimately my decision about whether the merits of Keith's singular talents and being on this show.....it is my getting some comfort with Keith. It is much more about what Keith is going to do than what people at ESPN have in their memory."

Also, in June, Turner Sports re-arranged its baseball lineup, bringing in Olbermann as host of its postseason coverage with Hall of Famer Dennis Eckersley.
2210876, Tight. I'd give it a try.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Jul-17-13 06:47 PM
2210877, I wish he was still on MSNBC
Posted by guru0509, Wed Jul-17-13 06:49 PM
...but Keith O is that dude.
2210878, Eh, wish he would have stayed in the political arena
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Wed Jul-17-13 07:15 PM
Any dufus can be OK on SC, I'd prefer him in a harder-hitting show.
2210882, Is the leather jacket coming back too?
Posted by Call It Anything, Wed Jul-17-13 07:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSS1ljVxxsE
2210889, Suzy Kolber's been there 20 years?!?! Hasn't aged a bit.
Posted by yoose2lurk, Wed Jul-17-13 08:26 PM
2210891, her face is as plastic as hell tho....nm
Posted by guru0509, Wed Jul-17-13 08:30 PM
2210895, Oh word?
Posted by yoose2lurk, Wed Jul-17-13 08:44 PM
For some reason I only associate that with Hollywood.
2210893, Man, he looks like he's wearing one of these
Posted by NoShelter, Wed Jul-17-13 08:39 PM
http://thegreenstudy.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/canstockphoto7439653.jpg
2210947, LMFAO
Posted by Mgmt, Wed Jul-17-13 11:57 PM
2210950, Kilborn might as well come back too, he doesn't seem busy n/m
Posted by Bombastic, Thu Jul-18-13 12:01 AM
2211002, ^^^^
Posted by Brew, Thu Jul-18-13 10:53 AM
This idiot dropped two of the best gigs on TV in Daily Show and Late Night to pursue, what? Nothing? He was in Old School. And .... that was it, right?
2211021, Cool..but where else was he gonna go?
Posted by Ascension, Thu Jul-18-13 11:47 AM
In the political field..he wasnt going to CNN or Fox..

In Sports, he might of been good at Real Sports on HBO. That's a good move goin back to ESPN..he'll fit right back in no problem.

Instagram: ascensionmusic
2211255, Nate Silver Leaving New York Times For ESPN, Keith Olbermann's Show
Posted by j0510, Fri Jul-19-13 10:30 PM
http://deadspin.com/nate-silver-leaving-new-york-times-for-espn-keith-olbe-844764269

Nate Silver Leaving New York Times For ESPN, Keith Olbermann's Show
ANDY HUTCHINS
Today 9:02pm

New York Times media writer Brian Stelter has broken a big bit of news on this Friday night: Nate Silver, sabermetrician and electoral seer, is leaving the Times and heading to ESPN. He's taking FiveThirtyEight with him, too. And yet that's not the juiciest bit.

Stelter also reports that Silver will "most likely be a regular contributor" to Keith Olbermann's new ESPN2 show, due to debut before August is through, and that he will have "a role" with ABC News "in political years."

Silver's time as a full-time baseball analyst was largely over when he joined the Times in 2010, but he wrote for Baseball Prospectus from 2003 to 2009, developing the PECOTA player projection system while with the publication.
2211280, Took him long enough to get back in his lane. Kilborn next?
Posted by bignick, Sat Jul-20-13 12:22 AM
Those motherfuckers were great on Sportscenter. Great.