Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #714771

Subject: "Cmx Post: Deathstroke Rebirth #1 (Return of Christopher Priest)" Previous topic | Next topic
Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Wed Aug-10-16 05:02 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Cmx Post: Deathstroke Rebirth #1 (Return of Christopher Priest)"

get on that.

my favorite writer. *this* is someone who knows how to write a comic book without beating you over the head with their agenda independent of what the book is supposed to be about

very excited to have him back (and not in the "black book" pigeon hole he hates)

A very nice palette cleanser to the problematic (to say the least) characterization that is all over Coates's Panther. I thought Hudlin was bad, but that dude....

Anyway Priest does his time-jumping schtick, but the pacing is great, the voices are true and it actually makes you what to see where this is going (with no underlying sense of "not well" based on this trajectory)

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I like T.C.'s current run on BP
Aug 10th 2016
More info on Cage!
Aug 10th 2016
I'm all over that
Aug 10th 2016
Not my father's Black Panther
Aug 10th 2016
      ALL OF THIS!!!
Aug 10th 2016
      YUP.
Aug 15th 2016
I've been waiting for this all summer! Yes!
Aug 10th 2016
READ IT....F***ING WEAK!!!!
Aug 16th 2016
^^^ this means its good
Aug 17th 2016

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8617 posts
Wed Aug-10-16 05:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I like T.C.'s current run on BP"
In response to Reply # 0

What are some things you don't like? No shade, I'm genuinely curious.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm excited that they're bringing Jessica Jones back in October and Genndy's Cage! is finally seeing the light of day.

But, I'm loving the current run of Detective Comics, Wonder Woman, Black Widow and Doctor Strange.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8617 posts
Wed Aug-10-16 05:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "More info on Cage!"
In response to Reply # 1

When Luke pulls dude through the bars...classic Genndy.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/07/08/exclusive-genndy-tartakovsky-on-his-new-cage-comic-from-marvel

Exclusive: Genndy Tartakovsky On His New CAGE! Comic From Marvel
Plus: a first look at the art!

By Devin Faraci Jul. 08, 2016

Almost a decade ago animator Genndy Tartakovsky started working on a Luke Cage comic for Marvel. We waited for it... and waited, and waited and waited. Tartakovsky got busier and busier, and for a while it seemed like this Luke Cage comic was a dream that could never come true.

Except that it did! This October Tartakovsky's Cage! will finally hit stands. The first issue of the four issue limited series promises to be full of the kind of dynamic action and fun for which fans have come to love Tartakovsky, and what's more, the series is set in the fabulous, over-the-top 70s, allowing Tartakovsky a lot of room to just let loose with his designs and his imagination. Here's the solicit for the first issue:

CAGE! #1 (of 4)

GENNDY TARTAKOVSKY (W) • GENNDY TARTAKOVSKY (A/C)

From the Award-Winning creator of Dexter’s Laboratory, Samurai Jack and Hotel Transylvania! On the mean streets of Harlem, shoes are big, shirts are large, bottoms are belled and crime is rampant! But in the heart of the city, the world’s hardest-working, smack-talking, chain-wearing super hero is on the street and on the case! And his rates are reasonable! He’s CAGE! and he’ll save your behind. Dig it!

And here's the AWESOME cover, which would make for a killer poster.

Man, I LOVE that cover.

Marvel reached out and offered me an email interview with Tartakovsky, as well as the opportunity to share with you guys an interior page from the comic. I jumped at the chance. What's fun about this book is that it's taking place in its own world, which means even if you aren't up to speed about who is the current Thor, Captain America or Iron Man in Marvel you can dive right into this comic.

Why Luke Cage? What is it about this character that attracted you?

Well I grew up following most of the major titles like Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, Avengers, etc. But I had also a lot of love for the smaller titles like Master of Kung Fu, Black Panther, The Defenders, Inhumans, and of course Power-Man and Iron Fist. I always liked the martial art aspect of Iron Fist with the raw street energy of Cage. I saw it in my head like Bruce Lee and Shaft hanging out together. And Cage was fun, I liked the idea of a down and out hero scrapping for work, love, and just trying to survive.

You started working on this a decade ago. Is this series you picking up where you left off or did you start from scratch?

Listen it was only 8 years ago, not a decade! I’m picking up right where I left off but definitely improving it and refining it.

Who initiated this return to Cage!? Was it you or did Marvel reach out? How did it happen?

Well I was doing press for Hotel Transylvania 2 and coincidently I found my thumbnails around the same time and thought that they still held up. Then on the press tour I kept getting questions about it so I thought for fun I would say “I’m willing to finish it if Marvel is still interested.” Sure enough it spread through the internet and the editor from Marvel contacted me.

This book is set in the 70s. Will we see 70s versions of other Marvel favorites?

I don’t want to give anything away but YES!!

Luke Cage is having a new moment in the sun because of Netflix. Will this series be aimed towards new readers or is it full of references aimed at people with Power Man and Iron Fist in their long boxes?

Well growing with those comics in the 70’s and 80’s I have a very strong fondness of that version of Power Man so my version is very rooted in that time, but I think it is totally fun and feels new. It was about making something entertaining with a character that I really liked. So I think it can appeal to young and old readers.

How does comic storytelling differ from animation? With animation we see all the moments, while with comics so much of what happens occurs between the panels. Is that the big difference?

Well the biggest difference is that I can’t rely on sound as much as I do in animation. That’s a big one because I use sound to help enhance the mood, action, comedy, pretty much everything. So that’s a big element missing. And of course there is no movement so I try to create it with kinetic panels and layouts as well as fun energetic drawings. It’s unlike other comics I think because my influences are strongly based from animation and cartooning like Kurtzman, Jack Davis, Chuck Jones, and Tex Avery. So it’s quite different from comics today…I think.

It does seem quite different to me. Here, exclusive to BIRTH.MOVIES.DEATH. is a page from Cage! #1, one filled with all the energy you expect from Tartakovsky.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Selah
16484 posts
Wed Aug-10-16 05:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "I'm all over that"
In response to Reply # 2

chomping to see what he does

Genndy Tartakovsky has legit NEVER done anything bad in my opinion

Selah
16484 posts
Wed Aug-10-16 05:41 PM

3. "Not my father's Black Panther"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed Aug-10-16 06:00 PM by Selah

1. Priest's Panther was always 7 steps ahead of everyone

Coates's is always 5 steps behind

All that going on in the country he was raised to rule and has for years and suddenly he doesn't know (nor do the people he has in charge) until after all hell has broken loose?

2. Priest's Wakanda was a testimony to good rule, good science, and "goodness" in an idea/ideal culture. Black people heaven on earth. In his version of the book the conflict came from those *outside* with their prejudices and "we can do better" machinations

Meanwhile, Coates's Wakanda is "Empire" with superheroes. Everyone is flawed. The Queen Mother's pseudo-affair with the professor? really dog? Military is a bunch of idiots. the people are plotting revolution - and why wouldn't they? What with the King ignoring the kidnap and rape of little girls and all.

Everyone is completely self-interested. The only competent/empathetic characters are the former wives, who are now lesbian freedom fighters? who just happen to be runnign around in state-of-the-art military gear that the military is just figuring out is gone? okay.

3. In the issue that came out today T'Challa was PHYSICALLY stopped from harming someone in a fight by one of his operatives. WHAT?! One, that's a breach of protocol (grabbing the King? really? of course, if you don't *believe* in Kings (they represent "patriarchy" per the author). Two, what happened to Black Panther being the most noble, in control, and a model for everyone else?

Priest spent several years trying to make Panther into something. Decomposing the "sidekick" version of Panther (sidenote: I say we wouldn't be getting Panther in movies if it weren't for Priest), and Coates has completely undone that in 5 issues, and the director of the movie said he's taking cues from this madness.

that's just scratching the surface....

in other words, NOBODY in this current iteration of the book is who they were before. This is 100% new everyone and everything.

That's fine. It isn't written for me, my interests, or my worldview. It's a flawed Panther for people who like reading *about* flawed people in flawed situations.

that's not what I read superhero books for.

if I want to see that I'll save my $3.99 and look out the window

This thing reeks with the same "stunt casting" as when they put Hudlin and Eric Jerome Dickey in charge. Never wrote a comic before? that's cool, THEY BLACK!! They'll get us credibility with 'dem Negroes.

The ill thing is: it works

Laz aka Black Native
Member since Mar 18th 2009
5462 posts
Wed Aug-10-16 05:55 PM

6. "ALL OF THIS!!!"
In response to Reply # 3

Furious Styles: https://blacknative.bandcamp.com/album/furious-styles

Black Confederate on iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/black-confederate-single/id940282326

Video to Black Confederate: http://youtu.be/jbpAQ4qzkqY

PSN: WakandanKing
Follow

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Mon Aug-15-16 06:59 AM

7. "YUP."
In response to Reply # 3

Laz aka Black Native
Member since Mar 18th 2009
5462 posts
Wed Aug-10-16 05:52 PM

5. "I've been waiting for this all summer! Yes! "
In response to Reply # 0

Furious Styles: https://blacknative.bandcamp.com/album/furious-styles

Black Confederate on iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/black-confederate-single/id940282326

Video to Black Confederate: http://youtu.be/jbpAQ4qzkqY

PSN: WakandanKing
Follow

JRennolds
Charter member
17029 posts
Tue Aug-16-16 07:04 PM

8. "READ IT....F***ING WEAK!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

The mean dad angle was tired, WINTERGREEN in a cave and, AFRIKAN WARLORD FRENEMY.

Not having it. Shit plotting too.

GOMD

Selah
16484 posts
Wed Aug-17-16 02:56 PM

9. "^^^ this means its good"
In response to Reply # 8
Wed Aug-17-16 02:58 PM by Selah

you must have really hated it

you're actually typing in english and not that ....*unusual*.... language you normally use to talk about comics (like when my mom gets extra serious and starts talking all fast in Spanish)

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #714771 Previous topic | Next topic