Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectNot my father's Black Panther
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=714771&mesg_id=714774
714774, Not my father's Black Panther
Posted by Selah, Wed Aug-10-16 05:41 PM
1. Priest's Panther was always 7 steps ahead of everyone

Coates's is always 5 steps behind

All that going on in the country he was raised to rule and has for years and suddenly he doesn't know (nor do the people he has in charge) until after all hell has broken loose?

2. Priest's Wakanda was a testimony to good rule, good science, and "goodness" in an idea/ideal culture. Black people heaven on earth. In his version of the book the conflict came from those *outside* with their prejudices and "we can do better" machinations

Meanwhile, Coates's Wakanda is "Empire" with superheroes. Everyone is flawed. The Queen Mother's pseudo-affair with the professor? really dog? Military is a bunch of idiots. the people are plotting revolution - and why wouldn't they? What with the King ignoring the kidnap and rape of little girls and all.

Everyone is completely self-interested. The only competent/empathetic characters are the former wives, who are now lesbian freedom fighters? who just happen to be runnign around in state-of-the-art military gear that the military is just figuring out is gone? okay.

3. In the issue that came out today T'Challa was PHYSICALLY stopped from harming someone in a fight by one of his operatives. WHAT?! One, that's a breach of protocol (grabbing the King? really? of course, if you don't *believe* in Kings (they represent "patriarchy" per the author). Two, what happened to Black Panther being the most noble, in control, and a model for everyone else?

Priest spent several years trying to make Panther into something. Decomposing the "sidekick" version of Panther (sidenote: I say we wouldn't be getting Panther in movies if it weren't for Priest), and Coates has completely undone that in 5 issues, and the director of the movie said he's taking cues from this madness.

that's just scratching the surface....

in other words, NOBODY in this current iteration of the book is who they were before. This is 100% new everyone and everything.

That's fine. It isn't written for me, my interests, or my worldview. It's a flawed Panther for people who like reading *about* flawed people in flawed situations.

that's not what I read superhero books for.

if I want to see that I'll save my $3.99 and look out the window

This thing reeks with the same "stunt casting" as when they put Hudlin and Eric Jerome Dickey in charge. Never wrote a comic before? that's cool, THEY BLACK!! They'll get us credibility with 'dem Negroes.

The ill thing is: it works