Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #510156

Subject: "THEY'VE OFFICIALLY GONE TOO FAR WITH THE 3D CARTOON REMAKES (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
Nukkapedia
Member since Apr 16th 2006
35461 posts
Tue Mar-23-10 11:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"THEY'VE OFFICIALLY GONE TOO FAR WITH THE 3D CARTOON REMAKES (swipe)"

Just shoot me NOW.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118016768.html?categoryid=3764&cs=1&nid=2562

Sony's 'Popeye' to pop eyes in 3D
Studio prepping CGI adaptation of classic series
By DAVE MCNARY, TATIANA SIEGEL

Sony is bringing an all-CGI "Popeye" to the bigscreen, with the iconic sailor man's muscles set to pop in 3D.

Avi Arad, who teamed with Sony to turn Spider-Man into a powerhouse franchise, is producing. Scribe Mike Jones is in negotiations to adapt.

King Features Syndicate, which is owned by Hearst Entertainment and Syndication, controls the property and decided to bring it to Arad, who worked for years with Hearst president and former Marvel topper Scott Sassa. Popeye hasn't been seen on the bigscreen since 1980 when Robin Williams starred in a live-action version helmed by Robert Altman.

"Scott called me and said, 'I have something for you,'" said Arad, who grew up watching Popeye shorts in movie houses in his native Israel. "I literally started singing the famous Popeye song (after securing the rights). What always blew me away is the level of the animation. It was so beautiful and unbelievably detailed."

Project was a natural fit for Sony, which is bringing a similar project to the bigscreen with "Smurfs." Sony Pictures Digital Prod. topper Bob Osher also has long-standing relationship with Sassa, the former NBC Entertainment topper.

Jones landed the writing gig based on his buzzed-about screenplay "The Minotaur Takes a Cigarette Break," which is in development at the Gotham Group.

"I'm an unabashed, lifelong Popeye fan," said Jones, who is a Variety alum. "Introducing this squinty-eyed sailor to a new generation also means reintroducing him to those who, like me, grew up with him."

The logline is being kept under wraps, but Popeye's love interest Olive Oyl, nemesis Bluto and adopted child Swee'Pea will be part of the adventure. Arad says the new version will cover the themes of friendship, love, greed and life, and focus on human strengths and human frailties.

"Popeye" will be made by Sony Pictures Animation, with Sony Pictures ImageWorks handling the CG.

"As one of the earliest animated characters ... Popeye has become one of the most enduring and iconic cartoon characters of all time and indelibly linked to the evolution of animation," said Hannah Minghella, president of production for Sony Pictures Animation.

Created by E.C. Segar, Popeye first appeared in the already established "Thimble Theater" comicstrip in 1929. Introduced as a walk-on character, Popeye eventually became the strip's star.

The spinach-loving hero, who spawned the longest-running series of talking animated shorts, is considered a merchandising gold mine, with Popeye toys, books, puzzles and games. Studio says the character, whose likeness is used widely to hawk green veggies, is the world's No. 1 licensing character in food.

"While each generation has discovered him in different incarnations, the fans have continued to embrace him through the years, coming back time and again to that quintessential collection of character traits that has made Popeye beloved around the world," said T.R. "Rocky" Shepard III, president of King Features Syndicate.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
dude, NOTHING is sacred
Mar 23rd 2010
now THAT! don't make no damn sense
Mar 23rd 2010
      You don't want Vivian Leigh's hand coming at you in 3D
Mar 23rd 2010
Who?
Mar 23rd 2010
I said the same thing when I read that
Mar 23rd 2010
Whoa! Almost missed this part the first time I read it!!!
Mar 23rd 2010
hahahahahahaha
Mar 23rd 2010
LOL
Mar 23rd 2010
lol. i love how furious people get at these remakes.
Mar 23rd 2010
I never even saw most of the original cartoons as a child.
Mar 24th 2010
      I agree and disagree with you.
Mar 24th 2010
      again, can still go watch the originals if you wish
Mar 24th 2010
           yeesh
Mar 24th 2010
                you guys are having a coronary over a cartoon being made
Mar 24th 2010
                     my pulse is as slow as your posts are wrong
Mar 24th 2010
                          no, you're right... a popeye 3D feature IS AN OUTRAGE!!
Mar 24th 2010
                               I assure you I could not be less outraged
Mar 24th 2010
do you think they'll deal with the dark side of spinach addiction?
Mar 24th 2010
will they cast scottie pippen as alice the goon?
Mar 24th 2010
LOL I knew this would be about Popeye
Mar 24th 2010

Wordman
Member since Apr 11th 2003
11224 posts
Tue Mar-23-10 11:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "dude, NOTHING is sacred"
In response to Reply # 0

they'll release Gone With The Wind in 3D if they can.

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams

ILL FLOW
Member since Nov 16th 2004
3221 posts
Tue Mar-23-10 12:33 PM

4. "now THAT! don't make no damn sense"
In response to Reply # 1

http://oneyoungsta.com/

Nukkapedia
35461 posts
Tue Mar-23-10 01:35 PM

6. "You don't want Vivian Leigh's hand coming at you in 3D"
In response to Reply # 4
Tue Mar-23-10 01:35 PM by Nukkapedia

when she goes to slap Butterfly McQueen?

buckshot defunct
Member since May 02nd 2003
26345 posts
Tue Mar-23-10 11:21 AM

2. "Who?"
In response to Reply # 0

>Scribe Mike Jones is in negotiations to adapt.

Nukkapedia
35461 posts
Tue Mar-23-10 11:25 AM

3. "I said the same thing when I read that"
In response to Reply # 2

But it's this guy (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0428873/), not the "back then they ain't want me"...who has nearly as many screenwriting credits. This dude's resume is barely an inch long.

Why not just let Donald Duck write the damn movie?

buckshot defunct
26345 posts
Tue Mar-23-10 01:15 PM

5. "Whoa! Almost missed this part the first time I read it!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

"As one of the earliest animated characters ... Popeye has become one of the most enduring and iconic cartoon characters of all time and indelibly linked to the evolution of animation. And I for one cannot wait to rape and murder everything he stands for. HAIL HYDRA" said Hannah Minghella, president of production for Sony Pictures Animation, cackling maniacally while stroking a white persian cat.

Invisiblist
Charter member
33760 posts
Tue Mar-23-10 04:29 PM

7. "hahahahahahaha"
In response to Reply # 5

The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Tue Mar-23-10 04:45 PM

8. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 5

Since 1976

http://9gag.com/photo/11314_full.jpg

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44862 posts
Tue Mar-23-10 11:36 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "lol. i love how furious people get at these remakes. "
In response to Reply # 0

you love popeye, do you?

GOOD NEWS!!!!

a 3D animated feature based on him doesn't change a thing! you can still watch the original cartoons, intact, no different then they were when you watched them as a child.

nothing about a remake of anything ruins or cheapens the original. at all. it adds another chapter, another telling, another perspective, and even if it sucks... you can still watch/read/listen to the og the same as before.

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

Nukkapedia
35461 posts
Wed Mar-24-10 12:58 AM

10. "I never even saw most of the original cartoons as a child."
In response to Reply # 9
Wed Mar-24-10 12:59 AM by Nukkapedia

All the Turner networks broadcast poorly done versions retraced into color. The mostly bullshit ones that were made in Technicolor (save for the three Color Specials from the 1930s) generally weren't worth the airtime they took up. It wasn't until I saw the black and white originals as a pre-teen/teenager that I even became interested in Popeye cartoons. The black and white versions aren't even shown on TV anymore (Cartoon Network used to have a "Late Night Black and White" show on Saturday nights, back when they showed cartoons worth broadcasting).

Unless you wanna pay $120 for three DVD sets, the originals _aren't_ readily available for other people.

It's not about "what I liked as a child". It's about what I liked now. They can fuck up "Smurfs" all they want to, and I won't really care. The Smurfs show was bullshit from fade in to fade out. The Popeye comic strips of the 1920s, 1930s, and 1940s are iconic (in case you weren't aware, Popeye originated in comic strips, not cartoons), and the cartoons - at least those made between 1933 and about 1948 - are classic works of American animation.

And while obviously it has no negative effect on the old shit itself, it can have an effect on the success of the property. See also franchise-killing flops such as "Batman & Robin", "Superman Returns", "Looney Tunes: Back in Action". The failures of the new products can negatively affect plans for new distribution/broadcast opportunities for other versions of the property, and can put ice water on any plans to try again and do something worthwhile with the property.

Plus, in general it looks bad from an artistic standpoint to take a creator's work and throw out everything that made it unique in favor of making a quick buck. That's what happened with the Alvin movies, that's what's happening with Yogi Bear the Movie and Tom & Jerry the Movie, what's likely to happen with the Marvin the Martin and Speedy Gonzalez movies, and barring a small miracle, that's what will happen with Popeye. With Phil Lord and Chris Miller - the directors of "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" - not sticking around at Sony, and a whole script drawn up for the picture by an outside unproven screenwriter with no semblance of visual development or storyboarding along with it, it's anyone's guess how well this production will turn out.

Maybe if I explain it to you in other terms: suppose the Jonas Brothers re-recorded "Innervisions" - the entire album, all eight tracks - rearranging the songs to make them "catchier" for a modern audience. And suppose they fuck it up. Royally.

I mean, it doesn't ruin or cheapen the original, right? No one will ever remember "that horrible Jonas Brothers remake" if you bring up Stevie Wonder or "Innervisions" in casual conversation, right?

Now, there's the slightest chance that the Jonas Brothers cover album of "Innervisions" might be listenable. Just like there's a slight chance a 3D CGI Popeye movie might be watchable. It'll probably make good money at least, which is all that's required of it anyways. But I have a right to hold my opinion that the idea of making this film is some bullshit, if I feel like it's some bullshit, and if i feel like the work of the people responsible for making the original comic strips and cartoons could be trampled upon. And nothing you say is going to make me feel like I _shouldn't_ feel that way.

CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Wed Mar-24-10 01:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "I agree and disagree with you."
In response to Reply # 10

My only disagreement is, nothing stated in this article is anything that should make you say "fuck this!" There is not evidence to support it sucking. It's it's own project. Independent of ALVIN, and GARFIELD and the other properties Hollywood has fucked.

You're right to be apprehensive, but I think you're wrong in being dismissive, sight unseen. Fair?

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

Cold Truth
44862 posts
Wed Mar-24-10 02:34 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "again, can still go watch the originals if you wish"
In response to Reply # 10
Wed Mar-24-10 02:37 PM by Cold Truth

really, they are out there. i promise. $120 for a dvd set? you don't want to pay that? oh. hey, you also don't have to shell out $8 bucks for the new one. in fact, you don't have to see it at all! so this doesn't affect you in the least! isn't it great to know that you don't have to be upset about it?

>All the Turner networks broadcast poorly done versions
>retraced into color.

you mean, one the majority of people actually remember watching? the versions that like 80% of the popeye-remembering public DO enjoy?

The mostly bullshit ones that were made
>in Technicolor (save for the three Color Specials from the
>1930s) generally weren't worth the airtime they took up. It
>wasn't until I saw the black and white originals as a
>pre-teen/teenager that I even became interested in Popeye
>cartoons. The black and white versions aren't even shown on TV
>anymore (Cartoon Network used to have a "Late Night Black and
>White" show on Saturday nights, back when they showed cartoons
>worth broadcasting).

you just sound like on of those people who like everything old and hate everything new. hey, FUCK THE DARK KNIGHT!!!! it's all about those WWII era batman serials, back when batman was worth watching!!! lol. give me a break.

>Unless you wanna pay $120 for three DVD sets, the originals
>_aren't_ readily available for other people.

so... they aren't THAT much of a fan if they don't want to obtain the dvd's, right? like, life is complete without popeye cartoons, so no need to run out to best buy, right? not to mention you can easily download the ones from the 30's. so, yes, they are easily obtainable. sorry to burst that bubble.

>It's not about "what I liked as a child". It's about what I
>liked now.

if what you like now is the o.g popeye cartoons, you can download them. you can buy them. a new version still does nothing at all to the ones that you like, they are still there, they are still just the way they were/are. promise. of course, i am fairly certain that it's just not the same to you watching it on your new HD 42 Inch Flat screen, and you're probably pissed because an old, rickety, 12 inch black and white tv is the only way to really enjoy an episode or serial of popeye proper!

They can fuck up "Smurfs" all they want to, and I
>won't really care. The Smurfs show was bullshit from fade in
>to fade out. The Popeye comic strips of the 1920s, 1930s, and
>1940s are iconic (in case you weren't aware, Popeye originated
>in comic strips, not cartoons), and the cartoons - at least
>those made between 1933 and about 1948 - are classic works of
>American animation.

yes, they are classic works, but lol@smurfs not also being a classic work. it is very fondly remembered, just not the pure americana of popeye that goes back almost a century.

>And while obviously it has no negative effect on the old shit
>itself, it can have an effect on the success of the property.
>See also franchise-killing flops such as "Batman & Robin",

yes, the batman franchise was dead... for... what? 6 years? and it only ended that particular series of movies. seems they have done pretty well with the two films made since.

>"Superman Returns",

....and a new one is being made as we speak. what's funny is the nail in the coffin of those films was the quest for peace; the hammer was the pryor film, well, prior. so no, superman returns didn't kill the franchise.

the comics for both batman and superman are alive and well to this day. the cartoons were great and it seems every incarnation of them are cult classics. so how these two examples "killed the franchise" still needs to be explained.

>failures of the new products can negatively affect plans for
>new distribution/broadcast opportunities for other versions of
>the property, and can put ice water on any plans to try again
>and do something worthwhile with the property.

well, you seem to not want there to be any new incrnations of popeye, so this would seem to be in line with what you want. you assume it's gonna suck, but later on you say it will probably make the money it's intended to make, which pretty much guarantees further projects will be developed. so none of what you are saying makes any sense because you contradict yourself badly.

the other thing is, it's POPEYE. lets not act like the future of that property will be made or broken based off one 3D feature. it's an enduring franchise, an iconic one at that; i know it suits your purpose to have something to rail against, but a 3D film simply will not kill it. it will be just fine.

>Plus, in general it looks bad from an artistic standpoint to
>take a creator's work and throw out everything that made it
>unique in favor of making a quick buck. That's what happened
>with the Alvin movies,

the alvin franchise that's owned by the creators son? the movies that are making a shitload of money with a third one on it's way? the ones that have been a smashing success? how, exactly, was a franchise made about singing, talking chipmunks who take the human world by storm get cheapened with a string of feature films? what was unique about the show that was destroyed by the movie? nothing, acually.

>the Movie and Tom & Jerry the Movie,

pretty fondly remembered, actually. this is funny because i have had two conversations in the last week with people about this, one of whom is an old head who would just as soon live in a log cabin and hates anything BUT all the old school shit... loved the T&J movie. my girlfriend loves the T&J movie.

what's likely to happen
>with the Marvin the Martin and Speedy Gonzalez movies, and
>barring a small miracle, that's what will happen with Popeye.

what, exactly, will a big screen adaptation do to "cheapen" these characters? again, the originals are out there. and even if they weren't, a new version doesn't change that either, and all you would still have would be your memories of them.... which are also not cheapened by films you don't have to watch.

>Maybe if I explain it to you in other terms: suppose the Jonas
>Brothers re-recorded "Innervisions" - the entire album, all
>eight tracks - rearranging the songs to make them "catchier"
>for a modern audience. And suppose they fuck it up. Royally.

my copy of the original still works fine. not sure what the issue is, if they made a shit version that i have no plans on listening to even if it were decent. it doesn't affect me one bit.

>I mean, it doesn't ruin or cheapen the original, right? No one
>will ever remember "that horrible Jonas Brothers remake" if
>you bring up Stevie Wonder or "Innervisions" in casual
>conversation, right?

i dunno, i wouldn't, because i have no interest in it i wouldn't listen to it. of course you would probably listen just so you could have yet another pointless thing to bitch about that doesn't affect your life in the least bit. people remembering the god-awful jonas brothers remake of innervisions wouldn't do a damn thing to the original work. stevies version would still play just fine, and you wouldn't have to hear the other one.

>But I have a right to hold
>my opinion that the idea of making this film is some bullshit,
>if I feel like it's some bullshit,

you can feel however you want, your still wrong. being wrong doesn't preclude you're right to react however you want about something.

and if i feel like the work
>of the people responsible for making the original comic strips
>and cartoons could be trampled upon.

you can feel this way all day. you're still wrong, but it's ok to feel how you feel. you're just wrong.

And nothing you say is
>going to make me feel like I _shouldn't_ feel that way.

that's fine. but you're still wrong. this doesn't affect your life in the least. you don't have to watch the new one. you don't have to have anything to do with it. it's hilarious to watch you shake your fist as if this somehow erases the popeye YOU know and love though... just get a rapidshare account if you don't want to drop the bill to get the dvd's, and you have your fix.

i get that you'd rather bitch and piss and moan though, so carry on. sorry if i ruined your harumph session.

-Sig-

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

buckshot defunct
26345 posts
Wed Mar-24-10 03:10 PM

15. "yeesh"
In response to Reply # 13
Wed Mar-24-10 03:14 PM by buckshot defunct

Most of what you said reads like some kind of nervous breakdown but I was able to find one good point in all that ranting. You can't kill what's already dead and it's been a long looooong time since Popeye was any good in any medium. But I'm pretty sure Nukkapedia knew that already, and like him I'm not eager to see the character get buried any deeper than he already is.

Of course we still have our Fleischer DVDs and Thimble Theater reprints, but I don't see the problem in expressing our disappointment in all the poor translations that followed. This is, after all, the proper venue for that sort of thing. It's not like we're a bunch of mad doggies writing long winded message board responses that take 20 minutes just to scroll through.

Oh, and 'fondly remembered' doesn't necessarily make something any good. I have fond memories of lots of Saturday morning cartoons and canned pastas but that doesn't make them quality product. If you're honestly putting The Smurfs cartoon up against those classic Popeye shorts, you probably don't need to be in this discussion.

Cold Truth
44862 posts
Wed Mar-24-10 03:16 PM

16. "you guys are having a coronary over a cartoon being made"
In response to Reply # 15
Wed Mar-24-10 03:19 PM by Cold Truth

but i'm the one whose ranting

lol. gotta love that okp logic. i wouldn't be "ranting" i posted in favor of the intense outrage being shown on the matter. i mean, the title was "THEY'VE OFFICIALLY GONE TOO FAR WITH THE 3D CARTOON REMAKES", after all.

-Sig-

buckshot defunct
26345 posts
Wed Mar-24-10 03:19 PM

17. "my pulse is as slow as your posts are wrong"
In response to Reply # 16

Cold Truth
44862 posts
Wed Mar-24-10 03:31 PM

18. "no, you're right... a popeye 3D feature IS AN OUTRAGE!!"
In response to Reply # 17

THEY HAVE CROSSED THE LINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Sig-

buckshot defunct
26345 posts
Wed Mar-24-10 03:54 PM

19. "I assure you I could not be less outraged"
In response to Reply # 18

Duval Spit
Member since Jan 21st 2009
3355 posts
Wed Mar-24-10 11:06 AM

12. "do you think they'll deal with the dark side of spinach addiction?"
In response to Reply # 0

and will he then be hunted down by Gene Hackman as Detective Popeye Doyle?

is it coincidental that this comes just in time for Sinbad's "big" comeback?

will the prominent product placements be supplied by an olive oil or hamburger company?

can the Jeep outrun a Jeep?

all these questions and more answered in........

POPEYE.
3D.

<----

Larry Otis!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeM89CITvMc

and his free new singles, produced by Tough Junkie!
http://soundcloud.com/toughjunkie/sets/larry-otis-leaks

Cold Truth
44862 posts
Wed Mar-24-10 02:39 PM

14. "will they cast scottie pippen as alice the goon? "
In response to Reply # 12

that's my real question.

-Sig-

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Wed Mar-24-10 04:28 PM

20. "LOL I knew this would be about Popeye"
In response to Reply # 0

that's the cartoon i see you get fired up the most about

but yeah, this is wack.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #510156 Previous topic | Next topic