Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI never even saw most of the original cartoons as a child.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=510156&mesg_id=510295
510295, I never even saw most of the original cartoons as a child.
Posted by Nukkapedia, Wed Mar-24-10 12:58 AM
All the Turner networks broadcast poorly done versions retraced into color. The mostly bullshit ones that were made in Technicolor (save for the three Color Specials from the 1930s) generally weren't worth the airtime they took up. It wasn't until I saw the black and white originals as a pre-teen/teenager that I even became interested in Popeye cartoons. The black and white versions aren't even shown on TV anymore (Cartoon Network used to have a "Late Night Black and White" show on Saturday nights, back when they showed cartoons worth broadcasting).

Unless you wanna pay $120 for three DVD sets, the originals _aren't_ readily available for other people.

It's not about "what I liked as a child". It's about what I liked now. They can fuck up "Smurfs" all they want to, and I won't really care. The Smurfs show was bullshit from fade in to fade out. The Popeye comic strips of the 1920s, 1930s, and 1940s are iconic (in case you weren't aware, Popeye originated in comic strips, not cartoons), and the cartoons - at least those made between 1933 and about 1948 - are classic works of American animation.

And while obviously it has no negative effect on the old shit itself, it can have an effect on the success of the property. See also franchise-killing flops such as "Batman & Robin", "Superman Returns", "Looney Tunes: Back in Action". The failures of the new products can negatively affect plans for new distribution/broadcast opportunities for other versions of the property, and can put ice water on any plans to try again and do something worthwhile with the property.

Plus, in general it looks bad from an artistic standpoint to take a creator's work and throw out everything that made it unique in favor of making a quick buck. That's what happened with the Alvin movies, that's what's happening with Yogi Bear the Movie and Tom & Jerry the Movie, what's likely to happen with the Marvin the Martin and Speedy Gonzalez movies, and barring a small miracle, that's what will happen with Popeye. With Phil Lord and Chris Miller - the directors of "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" - not sticking around at Sony, and a whole script drawn up for the picture by an outside unproven screenwriter with no semblance of visual development or storyboarding along with it, it's anyone's guess how well this production will turn out.

Maybe if I explain it to you in other terms: suppose the Jonas Brothers re-recorded "Innervisions" - the entire album, all eight tracks - rearranging the songs to make them "catchier" for a modern audience. And suppose they fuck it up. Royally.

I mean, it doesn't ruin or cheapen the original, right? No one will ever remember "that horrible Jonas Brothers remake" if you bring up Stevie Wonder or "Innervisions" in casual conversation, right?

Now, there's the slightest chance that the Jonas Brothers cover album of "Innervisions" might be listenable. Just like there's a slight chance a 3D CGI Popeye movie might be watchable. It'll probably make good money at least, which is all that's required of it anyways. But I have a right to hold my opinion that the idea of making this film is some bullshit, if I feel like it's some bullshit, and if i feel like the work of the people responsible for making the original comic strips and cartoons could be trampled upon. And nothing you say is going to make me feel like I _shouldn't_ feel that way.