Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2929823

Subject: "does parliament funkadelic have a box set?" Previous topic | Next topic
gilmore happy
Member since Apr 22nd 2015
97 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 06:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"does parliament funkadelic have a box set?"

i've come across a couple of different best of cds but not like an actual box set of all of their albums though. does anyone here know?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
no.
Apr 30th 2015
There was a 2 CD set that came out over 20 years ago
Apr 30th 2015
yeah, for Parliament - Tear The Roof Off: 1974-1980
Apr 30th 2015
That was the comp that made me a fan of Parliament...
Apr 30th 2015
THIS ONE if anyone cares:
May 02nd 2015
thanks for the review, i'll be sure to check it out
Apr 30th 2015
man I wore that double-disc out in 95/96, 1 of the discs even got jacked
May 02nd 2015
Some other great boxsets from roughly the same era:
May 02nd 2015
      Great picks, didnt own the VU or Miles & only inherited Arkology on iPod
May 12th 2015
BTW...
May 02nd 2015
i'll be sure to check this out, thanks
Apr 30th 2015
i got that one back in 93
May 01st 2015
RE: does parliament funkadelic have a box set?
Apr 30th 2015
right. that and Tear the Roof Off are it.
Apr 30th 2015
nice, a bit much more for me too right now but when i got some extra $
Apr 30th 2015
Music For Your Mother was a good one too
Apr 30th 2015
yes. i have that one too.
Apr 30th 2015
Love that one...
Apr 30th 2015
sigh....the Westbound era....chock full of goodness
May 01st 2015
nice, another great find. thank you too!
Apr 30th 2015
Publishing and master ownership makes it, for now, impossible
Apr 30th 2015
too many labels involved.
Apr 30th 2015
      I'm surprised this part at least hasn't happened by now:
May 02nd 2015
           Too many hands want in, and they probably want it all:
May 13th 2015
                I hear you, I was more making a joke on label consolidation
May 13th 2015
so it looks there's only 3, right?
May 01st 2015
Additionally (and not boxsets):
May 01st 2015
nice, thank you
May 01st 2015
Compilations, yes n/m
May 13th 2015
Use the Motherpage...and cop er'thang...
May 13th 2015
oh wow, thank you! good looking out!
May 14th 2015
      no problem...the best way to attack it is
May 14th 2015
           alright, i'll be sure too. i'd never heard of this sugar shack concert
May 14th 2015
                no prob.. there are 3 different Sugar Shack shows
May 14th 2015
                     nice! yes!
May 15th 2015
Don't think this one has been mentioned :
May 14th 2015

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Apr-30-15 08:09 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "no."
In response to Reply # 0

fuck you.

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44720 posts
Thu Apr-30-15 08:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "There was a 2 CD set that came out over 20 years ago"
In response to Reply # 0

But no definitive box set to my knowledge.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Thu Apr-30-15 11:00 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "yeah, for Parliament - Tear The Roof Off: 1974-1980"
In response to Reply # 2

that was a good anthology, especially when it dropped. Not all of the Parliament albums on Mercury/Polygram were reissued yet, and interest in the band was at an all-time high.

I still have that one.

Yes, I'm mad. Let's move on.

Jays | Cavs | Eagles | Sabres | Tarheels

PSN: Dr_Claw_77 | XBL: Dr Claw 077 | FB: drclaw077 | T: @drclaw77 | http://thepeoplesvault.wordpress.com

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Thu Apr-30-15 04:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "That was the comp that made me a fan of Parliament..."
In response to Reply # 4

i had ehard a bunch of Funkadelic albums at that point and had a vinyl comp with Parliament called "the bomb" or something with 80's Hip-Hop graphics and edited versions of all the hits. "Tear the roof of..." however is (was? I haven't been keeping track) really the best introduction to their music imaginable. Actually, even if we disregard the quality of the music, the way it mixes all the hits with fan-favorites, rare 12" remixes etc. is exemplatory-I don't think a single disc comp can really do them justice and *definitely* not one that only contains the biggest hits in fucking edits...

That said, there are still several cool songs missing which I found out when I hunted down all their albums within months of hearing the comps.It's impossible to avoid that though...

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Sat May-02-15 10:30 PM

25. "THIS ONE if anyone cares:"
In response to Reply # 9
Sat May-02-15 10:46 PM by Jakob Hellberg

http://www.discogs.com/Parliament-Parliaments-Greatest-Hits/release/697352

Very nice comp if you just want the hits presented as "pop"-songs. As I said though, I don't think that really captures them well... at all. If anything, this comp make them out to be more of a Mercury-era Ohio Players type act or Kool& the Gang rather than something mindblowing which I remember being my initial impression when I assumed they were just Funkadelic in a disco-mood. Of course, then you hear songs like "Funkentelechy" and "Dr Funkenstein" and you see the light...

EDIT:If I remember correctly though, this comp cost me about $0.5 so who can complain? Yes, there was a time when "noone" gave a fuck about P-funk here in sweden. I remember buying a shrinkwrapped copy of Bootsy's admittedly somewhat weak 1980 "Ultrawave"-album for the same amount at a flea-market in shithole Halmstad where my parents had a summerhouse. Another Bootsy-record (=this boot was made for fonk-n) was bought in the same shithole for approximately $1 alongside records like Gil Scott Heron's "it's your world" and Isaac Hayes ''Black moses'' for similar prices. Yes, once upon a time, record collectors in sweden only cared for vintage rock while all the funk and soul filed away as "disco" next to Boney M and Baccara, great times.

Now that I think about it, my entire Bootsy collection besides the cde comp might have cost me about $10 total; "the one giveth..."-record was literally *given* to me by some Clapton-loving dude in a record store

gilmore happy
97 posts
Thu Apr-30-15 11:36 PM

13. "thanks for the review, i'll be sure to check it out"
In response to Reply # 4

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sat May-02-15 02:43 AM

21. "man I wore that double-disc out in 95/96, 1 of the discs even got jacked"
In response to Reply # 4

from a shared beat-up rancher in Roland Park, Baltimore that I was sharing with five dudes and despite being a broke 18-year-old college kid had to find a way to rebuy that whole double-disc again just for the one missing half because it was too damn integral to the vibe of the house where we'd built a bar in the basement decorated with thrown-away neons beer company lights trash-picked from a York Road bar/liquor store.

The box set era was at its absolute peak around that same mid-90's timeframe:

Star Time, King Of The Blues, the In Yo Face! History Of Funk volumes, Nuggets, Citizen Steely Dan, the four-disc Led Zeppelin, Songs of Freedom and plenty of great ones I'm forgetting all seemed to drop during the same 2-3 years during 92-95.

Because there was legitimate Hall of Fame artists/acts whose music hadn't been put together and lovingly honored in that career-summation-attempting way in the new (perhaps last) physical-copy popular format of its day.

Nowadays Mic Geronimo's debut album reissued on a Gold CD packaged inside the folds of a speed-chess board designed to look like one from the movie 'Fresh' with "Shit's Real" on 45 is considered a "box-set".

But I digress.

The one thing box-sets were also though was expensive plus potentially exhaustingly expansive so those were still for the hardcore fans, somewhat grown with real jobs who lived alone.

But 20 years ago in the days before ear-buds became the main form of listening device and stereos when you lived with roommates were considered community property?

A truly great anthology of a band that maybe not everyone you were with or even you truly *knew* on a full-catalog level.

The two-disc anthology or expanded-double-length-on-one-CD type of career retrospective when does well always crushed a greatest hits record or in a few cases, an act's best albums.

Tear The Roof Off was maybe not in the latter (though it's debatable if I'm being real) but it was most definitely in the former.

Only double-disc that might top it in that regard (because obviously as a group they were not as great as P-Funk nor spring from or sprout out into as many other great movements) would be 'Full Clip: A Decade of Gangstarr' (certainly the best hip-hop example from '99 right up to this time).

'Together Forever: Greatest Hits 1983-1991' by Run-DMC the 18-track with "Here We Go (Live At The Funhouse)" on it was another great example I recall rocking with hard during that same BMOre party-house/Tear-The-Roof-Off era.

That along with the first reissue of Band of Gypsys and Live At Leeds (when each were still only the six live songs originally from the long-out-of-print albums) all ruled those school-year months in my world.

But Tear The Roof Off was sequenced brilliantly and helped me along with all the like-minded teenage revelers around when it was on.....*understand* that band so then when I went to see them for the first-time (at the old Bohager's directly under the highway downtown before you hop on the beltway by the stadiums) somewhere during that same time period (walking in at the start of 'Cosmic Slop' which wasn't on this comp but sent me down the Funkadelic album rabbit-hole which was a bit choppier) that song's bassline, George conducting that circus in a tie-dye tunic shortly after his Paisley Park solo deal petered out, the shit in my system along with the shit wafting around the funky-ass club?

That compilation jump-started me into that P-Funk universe officially being my absolute shit for as long as I live.

Even the liner notes (think Greg Tate wrote them with something from George himself in there too?) were great.

https://soundcloud.com/matt-koelling-666011203

www.somethinginthewudder.com

https://twitter.com/nostrabombus

https://www.facebook.com/matt.koelling.96

https://www.instagram.com/something_in_the_wudder/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/matt-koelling-438a80

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Sat May-02-15 05:24 PM

23. "Some other great boxsets from roughly the same era:"
In response to Reply # 21

velvet Underground-Peel slowly and see

the very form of this boxset with each disc except the first one being each of their four albums in their entirety with era-appropriate bonus-tracks was very nice IMO even if pretty much all the great outtakes (exceptin the "Loaded"-ones which are better than the overtly slick album IMO) had previously been released on the great VU-comp in the 80's (Another view as well but that one is too weak due to too many instrumentals and shit).

Lee Perry-Arkology

I still feel that the previous "open the gate" and "Build the ark"-boxsets that predate this 90's boxset era are better but since none of them includes the Island material, it's also hard to argue against "Arkology" being better at giving you the hits with a SHITLOAD of deep-cut style dubs...

Miles Davis-second great quintet boxset

My favorite *band* of all time so it goes without saying that this boxset-which includes all their albums in full with era-appropriate bonus-tracks and everything presented in chronological order so that you can follow Miles actually very organic and "logical" transition into fusion without problems-knocked me right THEE fuck out. Still prefer the sequencing on the original albums though over the chronological approach taken here; I think the VU-boxset approach (=albums as released with bonus-tracks on each disc) would have been better here honestly...

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue May-12-15 05:29 PM

26. "Great picks, didnt own the VU or Miles & only inherited Arkology on iPod"
In response to Reply # 23

but recall the impact made by each and appreciating the way they were put together.

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Sat May-02-15 10:12 PM

24. "BTW..."
In response to Reply # 4

I know the doc is critical of Trombipulation and so am I (NEW DOO REVIEW!!!). HOWEVER, would the doc agree with me that they made a mistake (=one of the two, the other one being "Party people"; while they put the single-edit on rather than the tedious album-version, that shit has no business being on a comp) when they put "Agony of defeet" rather than the awesome "Let's play house" on the record?

While not BAD, "Agony..." always struck me as a blatant atempt at remaking "knee deep" and it's inferior. "Let's play house" on the other hand is not just funky as fuck but was also sampledt for the Humpty dance which was a pretty massive tune. Since a good deal of the interest in Parliament at the time was generated by the many Hip-Hop samples of their material, *I* think the compilers fucked up there.

A tiny complaint for an otherwise great comp that I just remembered when checking the tracklist again, just saying...

gilmore happy
97 posts
Thu Apr-30-15 11:34 PM

12. "i'll be sure to check this out, thanks"
In response to Reply # 2

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Fri May-01-15 01:12 AM

17. "i got that one back in 93"
In response to Reply # 2

matter of fact all the funk essential projects dropped that year and toure did reviews in rolling stone magazine on all the funk re releases.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

ceeq9
Member since Jul 21st 2005
871 posts
Thu Apr-30-15 09:39 AM

3. "RE: does parliament funkadelic have a box set?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Apr-30-15 10:01 AM by ceeq9

this oop live box set still available.http://www.amazon.com/Parliament-Funkadelic-Live-1976-1993/dp/B000007WJL i wish i would've gotten this when it was in print. as of now, price to steep for me. and then again, you can find soundboard quality boots on these innernets, for the P-funk.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Apr-30-15 11:30 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "right. that and Tear the Roof Off are it."
In response to Reply # 3

i have both of them.

fuck you.

gilmore happy
97 posts
Thu Apr-30-15 11:37 PM

14. "nice, a bit much more for me too right now but when i got some extra $"
In response to Reply # 3

i'll get it, thank you

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Thu Apr-30-15 03:35 PM

6. "Music For Your Mother was a good one too"
In response to Reply # 0

Mostly early Funkadelic stuff, if I'm remembering correctly (dont feel like looking it up).

We covered by the Blood which never loose it's power

http://soundcloud.com/rayandersonjr

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Apr-30-15 03:53 PM

7. "yes. i have that one too."
In response to Reply # 6

fuck you.

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Thu Apr-30-15 04:31 PM

10. "Love that one..."
In response to Reply # 6

Some really cool b-sides and shit alongside the singles; I much prefer the Westbound era of Funkadelic to the major label era which also has many comps drawn from it due to the cheapo/lame company Charly repackaging shit over and over...

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Fri May-01-15 02:02 PM

19. "sigh....the Westbound era....chock full of goodness"
In response to Reply # 10

We covered by the Blood which never loose it's power

http://soundcloud.com/rayandersonjr

gilmore happy
97 posts
Thu Apr-30-15 11:40 PM

15. "nice, another great find. thank you too!"
In response to Reply # 6

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Thu Apr-30-15 03:54 PM

8. "Publishing and master ownership makes it, for now, impossible"
In response to Reply # 0

As some have said, what you can find are:
2CD comp of their work on Westbound
4CD box set of their live work, semi-essential
1 or 2CD comps of their work as The Parliaments (pre-Funkadelic)

However, if you want a box with Parliament, Funkadelic, The Parliaments, every group he worked with on Casablanca, the work he did in the 1980's, 90's, and 2000's, the different things he may have done incognito or semi-incognito, you will not find it. People have been wanting one since the early 90's, if not the mid 80's. When people like Bob Dylan and Eric Clapton were getting recognized box sets, fans were saying "do one for George Clinton" but at a time when it was possible, labels kept on saying no. Over the years, labels have made it even more impossible. The only way you could obtain a box is if it was done bootleg style, or someone comped it themselves. By then, you'd have a very nice 20CD box.

SHORT VERSION: No.

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:
http://www.thisisbooksmusic.com/
http://twitter.com/thisisjohnbook
http://www.facebook.com/book1

http://i32.tinypic.com/kbewp4.gif
http://i60.tinypic.com/a59mp3.jpg

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Apr-30-15 04:45 PM

11. "too many labels involved."
In response to Reply # 8

Westbound/Ace - early Funkadelic, P-Funk All-Stars.

Warner Bros - later Funkadelic, Bootsy, Brides of Funkenstein, Horny Horns.

Casablanca/UMG - Parliament, Parlet.

Capitol - George Clinton.

...and that's probably not all of them.

if somehow enough of them consolidate under a larger entity we may see some action on this boxed set.

fuck you.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sat May-02-15 02:44 AM

22. "I'm surprised this part at least hasn't happened by now:"
In response to Reply # 11

>if somehow enough of them consolidate under a larger entity

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Wed May-13-15 12:15 AM

27. "Too many hands want in, and they probably want it all:"
In response to Reply # 22

If anyone wins, if you want to call it that, it would be Universal since it can be argued Parliament is the most profitable. Capitol is now a Universal entity so that's set. If and when it happens, Clinton will not be around to see, hear, or approve of it.

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Wed May-13-15 04:04 PM

29. "I hear you, I was more making a joke on label consolidation"
In response to Reply # 27

>If anyone wins, if you want to call it that, it would be
>Universal since it can be argued Parliament is the most
>profitable. Capitol is now a Universal entity so that's set.
>If and when it happens, Clinton will not be around to see,
>hear, or approve of it.
>
>
>
>
>THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:
>http://www.thisisbooksmusic.com/
>http://twitter.com/thisisjohnbook
>http://www.facebook.com/book1
>
>
>http://i32.tinypic.com/kbewp4.gif
>http://i60.tinypic.com/a59mp3.jpg

gilmore happy
97 posts
Fri May-01-15 12:02 AM

16. "so it looks there's only 3, right?"
In response to Reply # 0

1. parliament - tear the roof off 1974 - 1980
2. parliament funkadelic - live 1976 -93
3. funkadelic - music for your mother

thank again to everybody who helped, i appreciate it.

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Fri May-01-15 05:45 AM

18. "Additionally (and not boxsets):"
In response to Reply # 16

Any of the comps that showcase Funkadelic's stint with Warner Brothers where they had big hits like "One nation under a groove" and "Knee Deep" (example:http://www.discogs.com/Funkadelic-The-Best-Of-Funkadelic-1976-1981/master/108452)

Bootsy Collins-Back in the day:the best of Bootsy Collins

Absolutely stupendous comp that I think sums up his career very well even if there are a *few* standouts missing. BTW, the live-version of "psychoticbumpschool" is seriously some of the rawest, most badass funk i've heard...

One of the comps that showcase Parliament *before* the Casablanca deal. Or maybe just buy "Osmium" instead but they did some dope, non-album singles in that era as well (those might be bonus-tracks on some issues of "Osmium").

Alongside the stuff already mentioned in this thread outside of the live box (which is more for die-hards IMO), those records sum p-funk up pretty well I think even if I dig many of the actual *albums* as well and prefer to hear them that way (bootsy might be an exception)...

Meanwhile, stuff like Parlet, Brides of funkenstein, Horny Horns, Sweat Band etc. as well as solos from the era by Bernie Worrell and Eddie Hazel etc. is really more for super-fans IMO even if there are seeral cool *songs* of course...

gilmore happy
97 posts
Fri May-01-15 05:25 PM

20. "nice, thank you"
In response to Reply # 18

that bootsy collins best or greatest hits i think my brother in law owns. i'll have to check it out and see. thanks again

in regards to the parlets, horns and other side acts, it's amazing just how much music george and his musicians and artists put out.

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Wed May-13-15 12:17 AM

28. "Compilations, yes n/m"
In response to Reply # 16

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Wed May-13-15 05:02 PM

30. "Use the Motherpage...and cop er'thang..."
In response to Reply # 0

http://mother.pfunkarchive.com/motherpage/discog-top.html

lots of side projects and stuff that are must haves..

gilmore happy
97 posts
Thu May-14-15 04:46 AM

31. "oh wow, thank you! good looking out!"
In response to Reply # 30

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Thu May-14-15 09:41 PM

33. "no problem...the best way to attack it is"
In response to Reply # 31

do an overall chronological thing.... by year..... cover every release ..regardless of the group name it was released under....

that way you'll get a full picture..don't miss the solo stuff..fuzzy..eddie and them..

and do the live stuff separately but the same way..

the Live at the Sugar shack from 1972 is a must have
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy3nA8tjixM

gilmore happy
97 posts
Thu May-14-15 10:37 PM

34. "alright, i'll be sure too. i'd never heard of this sugar shack concert"
In response to Reply # 33

this "cosmic slop" live from the sugar shack clip you posted is nice!

great find, thanks again

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Thu May-14-15 11:14 PM

35. "no prob.. there are 3 different Sugar Shack shows"
In response to Reply # 34

all from different years..

the one from 1972 is the best .... it's funkdelic with a newly arrived Bootsy Collins and Catfish Collins in the bands, along with the horns....

the other 2 are from 1974 and 1975...

all of the are great though...

the 1972 one though has so many incredible moments..

all your goodies are gone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK9S08wwQhA

Cookie jar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubQwLeWXR2g

I got a thang
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz1LLu7eK2g

I call my baby pussy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLIWFc4VU7Q

gilmore happy
97 posts
Fri May-15-15 12:29 AM

36. "nice! yes!"
In response to Reply # 35

man, i really got some researching to do now, lol
it's crazy because i've been a p-funk head for a while just when i thought i'd pretty much covered the most of their stuff, there's more!

ain't nothing like finding some "new" music and the adventure begins again. thank you so much man.

soulhoper
Member since Feb 10th 2006
380 posts
Thu May-14-15 06:51 AM

32. "Don't think this one has been mentioned : "
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.discogs.com/Funkadelic-Under-A-Groove/release/2901531

------------------------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/user/soulhoperLB

Lobby The Lesson topic #2929823 Previous topic | Next topic