Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2798051

Subject: "Thoughts?? The-Dream Deferred Spin Article SWIPE" Previous topic | Next topic
double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7008 posts
Fri Apr-19-13 04:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Thoughts?? The-Dream Deferred Spin Article SWIPE"
Fri Apr-19-13 04:25 PM by double 0

I'm sure ya'll dont care but the dream is talkin' that talk again. Says dance music has no substance but HIS music with substance can't get on radio..

Interesting part to me is the convo about Miguel. He has a grammy a hit song but still can't outsell Frank O or The Weekend.

Pretty telling imo that FANS > Radio spins..

http://www.spin.com/articles/the-dream-IV-play-interview

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SWIPE

Terius Nash is one of the most creative, in-demand songwriters in the world. With his upcoming 'IV Play,' will his solo career once again start reflecting that talent?

Terius "The-Dream" Nash, the man who made his name writing Hot 100-topping mega-hits like "Umbrella" for Rihanna and "Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)" for Beyoncé, hasn't helmed a song nearly that big in years. Still, he remains one of the most in-demand figures in pop and R&B, co-writing nearly a third of the tracks on Rihanna's Unapologetic and almost half of Beyoncé's 4, including four of its five singles. In conversation, he casually mentions sessions with Jay-Z, Timbaland, and "Justin" (Timberlake not Bieber — though Nash wrote the latter's first smash — but the distinction hardly matters). All of which makes the stalled state of his solo career even more puzzling.

Though he helped pave the way for similarly boundary-pushing R&B breakouts like Frank Ocean, the Weeknd, and Miguel, Nash has struggled mightily to get radio play for his solo songs during the past few years. It didn't used to be this way: His first four singles ("Shawty is a 10," "Falsetto," "I Luv Your Girl" and "Rockin' That Shit," released in 2007 and 2008) were staples on urban radio and modest pop crossovers. But since then, his visibility with the masses has fallen off a cliff, and his forthcoming album IV Play's lead-up singles have been non-starters. "Roc," a thumping party ballad, was a commerical flop; and the catchy, breakbeat-mimicking "Dope Chick" was a minor R&B radio hit, but did nothing to propel the album forward. Neither track will appear on IV Play, which is out May 28.

His new single fights back. It's called "Slow it Down," and it finds The-Dream openly lashing out at the music world: "DJ, you know you wrong / Enough with the motherfucking dance songs." On the one hand, The-Dream likes to play it cool about his commercial stagnation, but "Slow it Down" is an admission of his frustration.

"People are free to make whatever records they're gonna make," he says of the single's message. "It's when people are the best at what they do and it's not accepted."

The-Dream is sitting in a conference room at Def Jam's New York offices. He is subdued and dressed casually in a black Billionaire Boys Club hoodie with two gold chains softly sliding around his torso. When discussing his struggles at radio, he is calm — not the animated guy who would emerge later at the IV Play listening session, singing along and cracking jokes to break the tension. No, here he holds forth, the words spilling out in a long stream, but always composed and measured.

"Records that we're talking about — dance records — have no message," he says, careful not to hack away at the credibility of any one specific artist. "It's not saying anything about anything. It's not a song, actually, it's just noise. It's great for who it's great for, and it's fine. But there's a line. You start to bring your bar down on what songwriting is and what a song should be about, and that's when it kind of gets messed-up."

Of course, he isn't the only artist swimming upstream — this is an acutely tumultuous time for hip-hop and R&B. The group of crossover stars — Usher, Chris Brown, Rihanna, Drake, Nicki Minaj, Lil Wayne — has gotten so small that it's almost like an exclusive club, and even most of that group has acquiesced to the oontz-oontz of pop radio. The disconnect is strong and bewildering. Miguel's "Adorn" set a Billboard record in January after spending 20 weeks at the top of the Hip-Hop/R&B airplay chart, but it was still treated as a curio on pop radio, if it was played at all. And despite Miguel having arguably the most popular R&B song of the modern era, his album Kaleidescope Dream has yet to go gold, selling less copies than artists like Frank Ocean and the Weeknd who have just started flirting with radio play.

On the failure of "Adorn" to reach a pop audience, he says, somewhat cryptically: "It's, like, put a new Benz in a used-car lot and people still not gonna buy it."

The elephant in the pop-radio room is race, and it's a topic from which The-Dream does not shy away. The final shot of the "Slow it Down" video lingers on text that reads: "I THOUGHT MUSIC WAS TO BE THE ONLY PLACE WHERE COLORS DIDN'T MATTER. I WAS WRONG." He maintains that there are racial barriers in pop music, but suggests a more complicated dynamic than straightforward white racism. "It's actually what blacks expect from blacks," he says. "You know we need this, you know what message we need. You know how great we are at writing a great message and moving the needle in our own type of way. So when you bail out, there's nobody to bail us out. It's under my own power to say, 'I'm not doing that, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing till it gets back to the place where it needs to get to.'"

It is debatable whether The-Dream's insistence on maintaining the purity of R&B is more valiant or stubborn, but he's not been tempted by the whims of the market to betray his own sound and aesthetic. He also would rather leave the politicking to everyone else. Ebro Darden, the program director for influential New York radio station Hot 97, observes: "I think he has had so much success writing and making everyone else’s music amazing that he’d rather not deal with the bullshit games of trying to get mainstream media to support his music... I also know that he is against trying to make Top-40-sounding music to chase airplay."

"I think I have the respect of my peers, and that's the only one that matters," says The-Dream. "I definitely don't carry a certain respect with social media or whatever it is, because what a person means in music doesn't mean anything today. What I'm doing means absolutely nothing to them," he says. "That's why as much as we want to speak out most of the time against the Grammys, the point actually is that those things are decided amongst our peers in music, on what's good or not."

Since The-Dream released his first record in 2007, no one person in R&B has been responsible for more great albums. He has been the genre's most rewarding male solo artist since R. Kelly and hit a zenith in 2009 with the one-two punch of his operatic second album Love vs. Money and Electrik Red's How to Be a Lady: Vol. 1, a Prince-inspired girl group/Svengali pairing. IV Play, conceived as a double album but now roughly 15 songs, remains unfinished; it has yet to be mixed and ordered, and The-Dream is still waiting on guest verses from Jay-Z and Big Sean. But even without polish, it sounded like it could be one of the best records of the year — just like every one of The-Dream's albums before it. And he's not hesitant to tout his accomplishment, or distance himself from the commercial machinery around it.

"Your album's probably definitely not going to be better than mine; it's just not going to happen," he says. "Whether buy it or not really has nothing to do with me."

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
back in the late 70's, Al Green or Bobby Womack could have
Apr 19th 2013
RE: Thoughts?? The-Dream Deferred Spin Article SWIPE
Apr 19th 2013
This kind of sums up the problem right here
Apr 19th 2013
RE: This kind of sums up the problem right here
Apr 19th 2013
      RE: This kind of sums up the problem right here
Apr 19th 2013
He has a point but its a little tainted because
Apr 19th 2013
RE: He has a point but its a little tainted because
Apr 19th 2013
I clicked so happily thinking this was about Skyzoo
Apr 19th 2013
the nightmare is a one trick pony and has zero star appeal
Apr 20th 2013
yeah I don't understand why is acting like he's deep ...
Apr 20th 2013
      Perhaps because of "Terius Nash: 1977"
Apr 20th 2013
      because the contradiction is that he had those big pop hits ...
Apr 23rd 2013
it has to do with two things and two only:
Apr 20th 2013
RE: it has to do with two things and two only:
Apr 20th 2013
      you got numbe 2 wrong murph in the 80's
Apr 20th 2013
      RE: you got numbe 2 wrong murph in the 80's
Apr 20th 2013
           RE: you got numbe 2 wrong murph in the 80's
Apr 23rd 2013
      i guess my point was more towards radio than album sales.
Apr 20th 2013
           the Dream ain't too Black, he too Wack.
Apr 23rd 2013
Those Miguel numbers shouldn't shock me but they do...
Apr 20th 2013
that fuck my brains out shit was basura.
Apr 20th 2013
He excels in his lane
Apr 20th 2013
i nvr undrstood how dream writes hits for everybody but
Apr 20th 2013
Thoughts: I wish, but I know better...
Apr 20th 2013
The article didn't say enough about "Slow It Down"
Apr 20th 2013
oh ok : I've never heard of this project
Apr 20th 2013
      RE: oh ok : I've never heard of this project
Apr 20th 2013
His solo work doesn't sell cuz he can't sing, period.
Apr 22nd 2013
They don't sell either though, for the most part
Apr 22nd 2013
      RE: They don't sell either though, for the most part
Apr 22nd 2013
      my bad, spins. not sales.
Apr 23rd 2013
Comparing sales to Frank O and the Weeknd is odd
Apr 23rd 2013
basically.
Apr 23rd 2013
RE: Thoughts?? The-Dream Deferred Spin Article SWIPE
Apr 23rd 2013

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Fri Apr-19-13 04:55 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "back in the late 70's, Al Green or Bobby Womack could have"
In response to Reply # 0

claimed to have more substance than disco, but....after all this time it's clear people give Al and Bobby clout and give disco clout as well.

R&B may have something but the modern pop dance thing has energy behind it, like disco had, so the "more substance" claim really isn't saying anything. People are going to get with energy.

Might fade like disco but this new era has more energy than most recent pop era's, except for that early 90's era where, again, dance pop was jumping (Black box, Robin S, Cathy Dennis, etc.).

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Fri Apr-19-13 05:23 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: Thoughts?? The-Dream Deferred Spin Article SWIPE"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Apr-19-13 05:35 PM by murph71

I like some of The-Dream's overall productions...And I like him better as a songwriter ("Umbrella" was on some pop nirvana shit..,insanely infectious...)

But his is just another case of an act getting that stamp by powerful voices in the music press, and especially in the (white) journalistic/blogging realm and not living up to that hype as an actual solo act...

It's a weird period in R&B music....The-Dream's lack of radio airplay or record sales on his own shit has less to do with quality (which again, pertaining to his output has been severely overrated) as it has to do with a club culture musical genre that is currently dominating...

Once R&B artists were penalized for being too black and pushed into making techno pop records, the stage was set for where we are today...

As for Miguel (who put out a very strong album and seems to be killing it right now), it's strange that dude is not selling more records than such and such, but isn't that just the state of the music industry today as music is going back to a single's driven market? If you don't have a cause for critics and fans to rally around (see Frank Ocean), then hey...it is what it is...

It just so happens that dance club-aimed pop dance music today is the perfect vehicle for that singles-market...

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Fri Apr-19-13 05:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "This kind of sums up the problem right here"
In response to Reply # 0

Ebro Darden, the program director for influential New York radio station Hot 97, observes: "I think he has had so much success writing and making everyone else’s music amazing that he’d rather not deal with the bullshit games of trying to get mainstream media to support his music... I also know that he is against trying to make Top-40-sounding music to chase airplay."

I mean, yeah, dude has written hella hits.

But there's a LONG stories history of great songwriters who never had a solo career...thats the way it usually goes.

If he wants to break platinum and have those sold out tours, he's gonna have to do it on THEIR terms...no one is special, even a golden boy hitmaker.

double 0
7008 posts
Fri Apr-19-13 05:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "RE: This kind of sums up the problem right here"
In response to Reply # 3

thing is... He isn't a STAR. He can't really perform well. So it's not like his shows are gonna be dope. And he doesn't have a vibe or point of view as a songwriter. So his albums are just a collection of good songs.

Ppl can talk all the shit they want but Rihanna, Beyonce etc.. are excellent vessels. They are stars on there own that can sell you the dream that everything they say comes from a pseudo-genuine place.

But lets be real. You SEE THE PIC FROM THE GRAMMYS!

Who wants to support that. There is nothing remotely cool about it.

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

murph71
23113 posts
Fri Apr-19-13 05:44 PM

5. "RE: This kind of sums up the problem right here"
In response to Reply # 4
Fri Apr-19-13 05:46 PM by murph71

>thing is... He isn't a STAR. He can't really perform well.
>So it's not like his shows are gonna be dope. And he doesn't
>have a vibe or point of view as a songwriter. So his albums
>are just a collection of good songs.

Bam^^^^^

>Ppl can talk all the shit they want but Rihanna, Beyonce etc..
>are excellent vessels. They are stars on there own that can
>sell you the dream that everything they say comes from a
>pseudo-genuine place.

Bam^^^^part 2....

>
>But lets be real. You SEE THE PIC FROM THE GRAMMYS!
>
>Who wants to support that. There is nothing remotely cool
>about it.

Hell, even deeper....I just think that when it comes down to it, Dream's solo artist output is not as outstanding as he and some of the music press thinks it is...

Alphabet
Member since Jun 28th 2003
4402 posts
Fri Apr-19-13 06:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "He has a point but its a little tainted because"
In response to Reply # 0

It seems to come off that The-Dream is just fussin and crying because his solo stuff is not hittin like that..

I mean he was a very effective writer/producer for his time and run..but time (ESPECIALLY in Black Music) moves on fast. Shit, T-Pain was prolific around that time also..now it's like he dont even exist

2007-08 when The-Dream was hot was like 5-6 YEARS ago. Thats old school in urban/pop music time.

I do agree with him over the influx of the dance flow, because I've been saying the same thing..I dont like the stripping of the soul of popular black music. The very ingredient that makes our music..US. It's almost like it happened on purpose, to level the playing field...cutting the soul is like cutting Samson's hair..

#PicABeat Audio Photo series. Where the beat is inspired by the photo.
http://soundcloud.com/KingAkai

http://kingakai.com

“I love these bitches, man. I really do.”
- Andre 3000

double 0
7008 posts
Fri Apr-19-13 10:32 PM

7. "RE: He has a point but its a little tainted because"
In response to Reply # 6

R&B as a genre has ALWAYS had an issue...

Great voices made it "matter" but let's be real

Whitney was a POP artist... Janet is a POP artist.. MJ, prince and so on...

So yea Anita Baker has her place... but let's not act like it was ever THE genre... same wih country. except country didn't co opt anything. It thrives in it's cottage industry.

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Fri Apr-19-13 11:39 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "I clicked so happily thinking this was about Skyzoo"
In response to Reply # 0

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Sat Apr-20-13 12:01 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "the nightmare is a one trick pony and has zero star appeal"
In response to Reply # 0

yeah some folks will bop to his cuts, however he ain't no deep thinker and nobody is buying his albums beyond to get to the bump and grind cuts.

he is best suited to behind the scenes. he is more of Groove and beat-maker. turkeys sings like he has a plunger burried in his throat.

songwriting is witty and catchy, however he writes kid stuff.IMO wow it really takes a genius to write stuff got Rhianna and Beyonce? NOT!!!!!!!!!!!

any turkey can write them two overrated jive turkeys some hits, doesn't mean he is challenging a thing.

let me hear the Dream get a hit on Lala Hathaway, Tamia, Rachelle Ferrell, Gladys Knight, Patti Labelle.

that garbage he writes is about as deep as a episode of Cookie Monster eating cookies out of a garbage can.

he has a sound that has worked and a few hits however another turkey will come along and come and gone.

dime a dozen turkeys who are hot for a minute and gone.

in truth its racially and its all true however the Dream ain't got the juice to change the game.

he just took some off the collection plate and looks more stacked than he truly is.,

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Coco la chapelle
Member since Sep 17th 2006
3019 posts
Sat Apr-20-13 03:44 PM

19. "yeah I don't understand why is acting like he's deep ..."
In response to Reply # 9

Ashley Ayers
Member since Dec 12th 2009
12331 posts
Sat Apr-20-13 04:40 PM

21. "Perhaps because of "Terius Nash: 1977""
In response to Reply # 19

http://youtu.be/PegOWcodqNA

^I'm not sure if he tried to get that on radio, but it was released on the aforementioned mixtape.
(I was never a fan of The-Dream before that).
There were alotta well-written songs on that tape.

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Tue Apr-23-13 09:58 PM

34. "because the contradiction is that he had those big pop hits ..."
In response to Reply # 19

and while he is saying he is real, etc.. he also wants to show he crossed over with those acts and he wants to have his cake with the knife, fork, and napkin and be served to. he thinks its going to come to that and if he had the goods as a solo artist it would, however he doesn't and is a cornball turkey

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

PROMO
Charter member
30976 posts
Sat Apr-20-13 02:56 AM

10. "it has to do with two things and two only:"
In response to Reply # 0

1. he's not marketable as a object of sexual desire. he's not UGLY but i mean, i don't think girls dream about dude at night like they do a chris brown or usher or timberlake (or trey songz, etc)

2. his music is too "black" for pop audiences to relate. white people only know how to digest the words "hood n*gg*" in a rap song because it fits in their box of what rappers are about. when it is sung to them they are just thrown off.

murph71
23113 posts
Sat Apr-20-13 03:56 AM

11. "RE: it has to do with two things and two only:"
In response to Reply # 10
Sat Apr-20-13 03:59 AM by murph71

>1. he's not marketable as a object of sexual desire. he's not
>UGLY but i mean, i don't think girls dream about dude at night
>like they do a chris brown or usher or timberlake (or trey
>songz, etc)
>
>2. his music is too "black" for pop audiences to relate. white
>people only know how to digest the words "hood n*gg*" in a rap
>song because it fits in their box of what rappers are about.
>when it is sung to them they are just thrown off.

U were on to something with point 1....He's not very much to look at, ect, ect...That Hamburgler look ain't working....

But no 2?

Nah...There was a time when R&B acts could go platinum--triple platinum without even much of a crossover.white buyers (Freddie Jackson...Luther...Anita Baker, Midnight Star, ect...)

And when white kids started buying R&B big time in the 90s they were buying some of the blackest music acts on earth (Jodeci, early Mary J. Blige, early R. Kelly before "I Believe I Can Fly" and the like...SWV....Faith Evans..u get the point...)

So white folks not buying the music because its too black ain't the problem....It's that labels and radio are no longer interested in promoting real R&B (and when they do it has to be convoluted and devoid of soul)...This has more to do with dance pop music/Euro pop being the current gravy train...

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Sat Apr-20-13 10:48 AM

14. "you got numbe 2 wrong murph in the 80's"
In response to Reply # 11

those black acts you mentioned would fit nicely with watching bryant gumbel, oprah winfrey and arsenio hall.

freddie jackson, luther vandross, anita baker were non threatening and it was buppie R&B drink your coffee thru the Black Mac.

Midnight starr were catchy as were starpoint and Atlantic Star. it was smooth R&B just like billy ocean. "Beige" and in a billy dee williams and dinah carroll on "dynasty" kind of way.

just like Me'lissa Morgan.

now the 90's R&B was the throwback and in alot of ways the Anti R&B statement of the 80's however said acts were sanging and had the songs.

the dream ain't much of a writer and its all about grooves and beats, he lacks charisma and personality.

not alot of folks are tripping on looks because if they were then Georgio would have been a household name

murph71
23113 posts
Sat Apr-20-13 12:56 PM

15. "RE: you got numbe 2 wrong murph in the 80's"
In response to Reply # 14
Sat Apr-20-13 01:03 PM by murph71

>those black acts you mentioned would fit nicely with
>watching bryant gumbel, oprah winfrey and arsenio hall.
>
>freddie jackson, luther vandross, anita baker were non
>threatening and it was buppie R&B drink your coffee thru
>the Black Mac.

U barking up the wrong tree......Even at it's most political or hardcore (Shaft, Superfly), R&B was crossing over without even trying to...so chill with that...Black acts were still going triple platinum even without the help of MTV (see Rick James) and white radio...

My point was simply this....Freddie, Luther (Jerri Curl era Luther, not "Dance For My Father" or "Here And Now" Luther) and Anita were CATERING TO A MAJORITY OF BLACK FANS AND STILL GOING PLATINUM, DOUBLE PLATINUM, TRIPLE PLATINUM....They went straight to the black fanbase and thrived....

White fans came to them (Keith Sweat, Guy), and not the other way around...Black R&B acts were not worried about if white folks got it like say Lionel Richie who was obsessed with that shit like no other....I'm not talking about beige acts or Whitney, Prince, MJ ect...

I don't know what else u r rambling about, homie...I'm not talking about who was threatening or not...

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Tue Apr-23-13 08:01 PM

31. "RE: you got numbe 2 wrong murph in the 80's"
In response to Reply # 15

yo those acts despite having a strong Black Base audience still had white fans and that is the point you missing. Luther was accessible always because he did cover songs which were big pop songs and his material was never threatening same with Freddie and Anita.

you act like those acts were treated like Frankie Beverly and Maze, Klique, Angeli Bofil or richard Dimples fields? Negro I can Name acts that got the 100% Grade A Beef Ghetto Superstar treatment and Luther, Freddie and Anita acts whom I dug and still do, ain't on that list.

Lionel RIchie was always the way he was, however you don't know his history that well and it shows he always had the R&B,Pop,Country Mack Daddy Ray Charles with Sly Stone everyday folk lyrics with a Paul Mccartney Hook line and sink in there.

Guy,Keith Sweat, Teddy Riley and those cats had a connection with Hip Hop and also the last of R&B that came from the SYnth era think Gap Band and it was Pop accesible sounding as well, think about why Dangerous worked so well with Michael Jackson and Teddy Riley?

you getting it twisted because the 90's brought it back Black, not those acts you mentioned in the 80's except for a Frankie Beverly and Maze or a Steve Arrington's Hall of Fame and a for a while Rick James,Cameo and the Bar Kays.

PROMO
Charter member
30976 posts
Sat Apr-20-13 01:41 PM

17. "i guess my point was more towards radio than album sales."
In response to Reply # 11

in the 90's urban radio was ACTUALLY urban radio.

like the actual urban areas, urban radio has been gentrified like fuck.

which means that nowadays, real straight up R&B like The-Dream makes just isn't gonna fly on "urban" radio anymore. in that sense, he's too black for "urban" radio because it's all run by, and catered towards, white people.

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Tue Apr-23-13 08:04 PM

32. "the Dream ain't too Black, he too Wack."
In response to Reply # 17

and he has written Pop cross over hits so it ain't like folks don't know who he is, however he has no idenity, he is a cornball turkey and a voice that sounds like Kermit the frog hijacked his lungs and tapped dance on them.

he has good Production and grooves however he ain't got nobody in his ear to balance the stuff he puts out and so he is a settler and a dime a dozen beat maker.

the too Black Era is gone in POP, R&B and Hip Hop Music. now somebody that is a Blues Guitar player or a real Slinger I might give it to you, however nobody out now that applies to because the labels and the radio cats got it all on lock and the Dream is part of and not a game changer at all.

mrshow
Charter member
12567 posts
Sat Apr-20-13 04:05 AM

12. "Those Miguel numbers shouldn't shock me but they do..."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm glad they're still giving the album a push at least.

I think the Love King album kinda knocked him off his game a bit. I wouldn't be shocked if Jeremih eclipses him this year.

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Sat Apr-20-13 06:13 AM

13. "that fuck my brains out shit was basura."
In response to Reply # 0

dude cant have it both ways...if you gonna make raunchy underground shit dont be mad if its not on the radio

do or die

Stadium Status
Member since Sep 03rd 2007
1155 posts
Sat Apr-20-13 01:12 PM

16. "He excels in his lane"
In response to Reply # 0

His throwback 90s-shit would fit in well today too since that's in (see - the new Ciara song). I was listening to Love King the other day thinking about how people are so quick to crown music from 10/15/20 years ago, yet this dude was doing the exact same thing a few years ago to little fanfare.

He's always been critically acclaimed and IMO could easily have another radio hit (R&B not pop). Look at the love that Jeremih and even Cassie are getting by white folks...he could easily come back and be popular in those circles. As far as Frank Ocean/Weeknd record sales they came at an opportune time and have a more defined "brand" (bisexuality / being a date rapist). I don't see him getting on pop radio but the "inner circle" of the pop world isn't anything new.

I'm really surprised that Miguel wasn't on pop radio - I heard it everywhere. That's a shame. But yeah I love The Dream and think that a lot of people appreciate his talents even if the pop world doesn't.

A one-stop page for new content from former Grantland-ers: https://twitter.com/grantlander33

judono
Member since Nov 11th 2004
4417 posts
Sat Apr-20-13 02:03 PM

18. "i nvr undrstood how dream writes hits for everybody but"
In response to Reply # 0

Radio wont consistently play a nam one of his solo songs

* * * * =========
* * * * =========
* * * * =========
==============
==============

jimaveli
Charter member
6615 posts
Sat Apr-20-13 04:03 PM

20. "Thoughts: I wish, but I know better..."
In response to Reply # 0

1. The label isn't going to force him down people's throat aka pay for him to be popular.
2. He DOES lack the overall 'coolness' or 'it' needed for folks to gravitate to his music based on him (ie: image, look, whatever). So even if the label DID try to pay for him to be popular, it prolly wouldn't work cuz he's not cool enough to keep whoever they bring him.
3. If chicks don't dig you, good luck selling sex-related records of any kind, tempo, or tone.

*Price is right you lost horns*

Women do NOT dig this cat..not 30-something upstanding sisters. Not Keyshia Cole-loving hood chicks (surprisingly). Not random career skrippas..considering how much of his catalog is basically stripper-nip..also suprising. Not older mamas who still want to hear some freak music every now and again. Not 40-year old zydeco/trail ride black chicks who will gyrate to anything. And certainly not zumba-doing 28-year old white chicks with office jobs who wouldn't mind letting the right brother sneak up on them. Basically...NO women support this man's solo work.

It is sad to me cuz he makes simple but solid 'grope somebody' 90s R&B. And I want to believe there'll always be a place for that type of music as a change of pace from the oontz, trap music, dubstep, and whatever else gets clubs jumping. I LOVE Falsetto, Put it Down, Body, Purple Kisses, Roc, etc...all those songs feel like the type of records that would've carried shit in 1996 in a club setting. Or even a bedroom with late high school 'just started fuckin' types. Grown cats can't have a dude in the background saying 'call Latisha, your beautician..because your hair is gon need fixing' while you're trying to set a mood. But I've rolled up to a chick's crib jamming 'Roc' with pride.

Jimaveli

>I'm sure ya'll dont care but the dream is talkin' that talk
>again. Says dance music has no substance but HIS music with
>substance can't get on radio..
>
>Interesting part to me is the convo about Miguel. He has a
>grammy a hit song but still can't outsell Frank O or The
>Weekend.
>
>Pretty telling imo that FANS > Radio spins..
>
>
>http://www.spin.com/articles/the-dream-IV-play-interview
>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SWIPE
>
>Terius Nash is one of the most creative, in-demand songwriters
>in the world. With his upcoming 'IV Play,' will his solo
>career once again start reflecting that talent?
>
>Terius "The-Dream" Nash, the man who made his name writing Hot
>100-topping mega-hits like "Umbrella" for Rihanna and "Single
>Ladies (Put a Ring On It)" for Beyoncé, hasn't helmed a song
>nearly that big in years. Still, he remains one of the most
>in-demand figures in pop and R&B, co-writing nearly a third of
>the tracks on Rihanna's Unapologetic and almost half of
>Beyoncé's 4, including four of its five singles. In
>conversation, he casually mentions sessions with Jay-Z,
>Timbaland, and "Justin" (Timberlake not Bieber — though Nash
>wrote the latter's first smash — but the distinction hardly
>matters). All of which makes the stalled state of his solo
>career even more puzzling.
>
>Though he helped pave the way for similarly boundary-pushing
>R&B breakouts like Frank Ocean, the Weeknd, and Miguel, Nash
>has struggled mightily to get radio play for his solo songs
>during the past few years. It didn't used to be this way: His
>first four singles ("Shawty is a 10," "Falsetto," "I Luv Your
>Girl" and "Rockin' That Shit," released in 2007 and 2008) were
>staples on urban radio and modest pop crossovers. But since
>then, his visibility with the masses has fallen off a cliff,
>and his forthcoming album IV Play's lead-up singles have been
>non-starters. "Roc," a thumping party ballad, was a commerical
>flop; and the catchy, breakbeat-mimicking "Dope Chick" was a
>minor R&B radio hit, but did nothing to propel the album
>forward. Neither track will appear on IV Play, which is out
>May 28.
>
>His new single fights back. It's called "Slow it Down," and it
>finds The-Dream openly lashing out at the music world: "DJ,
>you know you wrong / Enough with the motherfucking dance
>songs." On the one hand, The-Dream likes to play it cool about
>his commercial stagnation, but "Slow it Down" is an admission
>of his frustration.
>
>"People are free to make whatever records they're gonna make,"
>he says of the single's message. "It's when people are the
>best at what they do and it's not accepted."
>
>The-Dream is sitting in a conference room at Def Jam's New
>York offices. He is subdued and dressed casually in a black
>Billionaire Boys Club hoodie with two gold chains softly
>sliding around his torso. When discussing his struggles at
>radio, he is calm — not the animated guy who would emerge
>later at the IV Play listening session, singing along and
>cracking jokes to break the tension. No, here he holds forth,
>the words spilling out in a long stream, but always composed
>and measured.
>
>"Records that we're talking about — dance records — have no
>message," he says, careful not to hack away at the credibility
>of any one specific artist. "It's not saying anything about
>anything. It's not a song, actually, it's just noise. It's
>great for who it's great for, and it's fine. But there's a
>line. You start to bring your bar down on what songwriting is
>and what a song should be about, and that's when it kind of
>gets messed-up."
>
>Of course, he isn't the only artist swimming upstream — this
>is an acutely tumultuous time for hip-hop and R&B. The group
>of crossover stars — Usher, Chris Brown, Rihanna, Drake, Nicki
>Minaj, Lil Wayne — has gotten so small that it's almost like
>an exclusive club, and even most of that group has acquiesced
>to the oontz-oontz of pop radio. The disconnect is strong and
>bewildering. Miguel's "Adorn" set a Billboard record in
>January after spending 20 weeks at the top of the Hip-Hop/R&B
>airplay chart, but it was still treated as a curio on pop
>radio, if it was played at all. And despite Miguel having
>arguably the most popular R&B song of the modern era, his
>album Kaleidescope Dream has yet to go gold, selling less
>copies than artists like Frank Ocean and the Weeknd who have
>just started flirting with radio play.
>
>On the failure of "Adorn" to reach a pop audience, he says,
>somewhat cryptically: "It's, like, put a new Benz in a
>used-car lot and people still not gonna buy it."
>
>The elephant in the pop-radio room is race, and it's a topic
>from which The-Dream does not shy away. The final shot of the
>"Slow it Down" video lingers on text that reads: "I THOUGHT
>MUSIC WAS TO BE THE ONLY PLACE WHERE COLORS DIDN'T MATTER. I
>WAS WRONG." He maintains that there are racial barriers in pop
>music, but suggests a more complicated dynamic than
>straightforward white racism. "It's actually what blacks
>expect from blacks," he says. "You know we need this, you know
>what message we need. You know how great we are at writing a
>great message and moving the needle in our own type of way. So
>when you bail out, there's nobody to bail us out. It's under
>my own power to say, 'I'm not doing that, I'll just keep doing
>what I'm doing till it gets back to the place where it needs
>to get to.'"
>
>It is debatable whether The-Dream's insistence on maintaining
>the purity of R&B is more valiant or stubborn, but he's not
>been tempted by the whims of the market to betray his own
>sound and aesthetic. He also would rather leave the
>politicking to everyone else. Ebro Darden, the program
>director for influential New York radio station Hot 97,
>observes: "I think he has had so much success writing and
>making everyone else’s music amazing that he’d rather not deal
>with the bullshit games of trying to get mainstream media to
>support his music... I also know that he is against trying to
>make Top-40-sounding music to chase airplay."
>
>"I think I have the respect of my peers, and that's the only
>one that matters," says The-Dream. "I definitely don't carry a
>certain respect with social media or whatever it is, because
>what a person means in music doesn't mean anything today. What
>I'm doing means absolutely nothing to them," he says. "That's
>why as much as we want to speak out most of the time against
>the Grammys, the point actually is that those things are
>decided amongst our peers in music, on what's good or not."
>
>Since The-Dream released his first record in 2007, no one
>person in R&B has been responsible for more great albums. He
>has been the genre's most rewarding male solo artist since R.
>Kelly and hit a zenith in 2009 with the one-two punch of his
>operatic second album Love vs. Money and Electrik Red's How to
>Be a Lady: Vol. 1, a Prince-inspired girl group/Svengali
>pairing. IV Play, conceived as a double album but now roughly
>15 songs, remains unfinished; it has yet to be mixed and
>ordered, and The-Dream is still waiting on guest verses from
>Jay-Z and Big Sean. But even without polish, it sounded like
>it could be one of the best records of the year — just like
>every one of The-Dream's albums before it. And he's not
>hesitant to tout his accomplishment, or distance himself from
>the commercial machinery around it.
>
>"Your album's probably definitely not going to be better than
>mine; it's just not going to happen," he says. "Whether
> buy it or not really has nothing to do with me."

Ashley Ayers
12331 posts
Sat Apr-20-13 04:43 PM

22. "The article didn't say enough about "Slow It Down""
In response to Reply # 0

You can't mention that song in this conversation without the line "Them other niggas had to do
a dance record or the label wouldn't put 'em out" lol.

Also, I'm not sure if he was pushing for "Terius Nash: 1977" to be released, but that's where
he finally wrote some "deeper" songs for himself. My guess is that's what he's talking about here.
He can't be talking about the stuff he usually releases for radio.

Coco la chapelle
Member since Sep 17th 2006
3019 posts
Sat Apr-20-13 05:22 PM

23. "oh ok : I've never heard of this project"
In response to Reply # 22

I was like why is the guy who writes things like "Dope Bitch" and "Falscetto" is acting like he's deep ?

Ashley Ayers
12331 posts
Sat Apr-20-13 08:46 PM

24. "RE: oh ok : I've never heard of this project"
In response to Reply # 23
Sat Apr-20-13 08:47 PM by Ashley Ayers

>I was like why is the guy who writes things like "Dope Bitch"
>and "Falscetto" is acting like he's deep ?

Haha. I'm sure that's what everyone is thinking. I would be, too, had I not heard it.
It's a really good album though. Songs like "1977", "Tender Tendencies", "Gone",
and "Form of Flattery" finally show him writing meaningful songs for himself. I'd never
been a fan of this guy because of his juvenile lyrics, but I actually bought that album
(it was made available for sale in December 2012 but was originally released as a mixtape).

TRENDone
Charter member
15616 posts
Mon Apr-22-13 06:48 AM

25. "His solo work doesn't sell cuz he can't sing, period."
In response to Reply # 0

Ciara and Keri Hilson can't "sing" but they're sexy and magically can go in the studio and carry a song.

Dream can process his voice in the studio as much as he wants, it won't come out good. If he had a stronger voice I believe ppl would be more inclined to buy his solo music and ask "when's the next Dream show?" instead of "I wish Dream gave this song to ____."

PS. He shouldn't be talking abt "dance music is just noise" when he produced Rihanna's "Cake" in 2012...

San Diego State's holy trinity of sports:
Kawhi Leonard
Marshall Faulk
Tony Gwynn (RIP)

#Aztec4Life

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Mon Apr-22-13 07:23 AM

26. "They don't sell either though, for the most part"
In response to Reply # 25

>Ciara and Keri Hilson can't "sing" but they're sexy and
>magically can go in the studio and carry a song.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

murph71
23113 posts
Mon Apr-22-13 09:41 AM

27. "RE: They don't sell either though, for the most part"
In response to Reply # 26

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

TRENDone
Charter member
15616 posts
Tue Apr-23-13 12:31 PM

28. "my bad, spins. not sales."
In response to Reply # 26
Tue Apr-23-13 12:32 PM by TRENDone

glancing at the article again, it seems like he has an issue with his stuff not being on the radio. it's cuz he can't sing and his lack of sexy appeal imo.

San Diego State's holy trinity of sports:
Kawhi Leonard
Marshall Faulk
Tony Gwynn (RIP)

#Aztec4Life

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Tue Apr-23-13 12:42 PM

29. "Comparing sales to Frank O and the Weeknd is odd"
In response to Reply # 0

i mean they have a whole movement behind them. Lets not pretend that Odd Future and OVO aren't just as important as the actual album/talent. They very much had a huge part in his sales. Kids buy into movements. Its as simple as that. The-Dream definitely has the respect of his peers and the industry and i know nuff people that loved his albums. Minus that Elektric Red shit.

Stadium Status
Member since Sep 03rd 2007
1155 posts
Tue Apr-23-13 09:51 PM

33. "basically."
In response to Reply # 29

A one-stop page for new content from former Grantland-ers: https://twitter.com/grantlander33

quatto
Member since Jul 02nd 2010
435 posts
Tue Apr-23-13 05:03 PM

30. "RE: Thoughts?? The-Dream Deferred Spin Article SWIPE"
In response to Reply # 0

>"Your album's probably definitely not going to be better than
>mine; it's just not going to happen," he says. "Whether
> buy it or not really has nothing to do with me."

said "probably definitely"...

Lobby The Lesson topic #2798051 Previous topic | Next topic