Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: you got numbe 2 wrong murph in the 80's
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2798051&mesg_id=2798243
2798243, RE: you got numbe 2 wrong murph in the 80's
Posted by murph71, Sat Apr-20-13 12:56 PM
>those black acts you mentioned would fit nicely with
>watching bryant gumbel, oprah winfrey and arsenio hall.
>
>freddie jackson, luther vandross, anita baker were non
>threatening and it was buppie R&B drink your coffee thru
>the Black Mac.

U barking up the wrong tree......Even at it's most political or hardcore (Shaft, Superfly), R&B was crossing over without even trying to...so chill with that...Black acts were still going triple platinum even without the help of MTV (see Rick James) and white radio...

My point was simply this....Freddie, Luther (Jerri Curl era Luther, not "Dance For My Father" or "Here And Now" Luther) and Anita were CATERING TO A MAJORITY OF BLACK FANS AND STILL GOING PLATINUM, DOUBLE PLATINUM, TRIPLE PLATINUM....They went straight to the black fanbase and thrived....

White fans came to them (Keith Sweat, Guy), and not the other way around...Black R&B acts were not worried about if white folks got it like say Lionel Richie who was obsessed with that shit like no other....I'm not talking about beige acts or Whitney, Prince, MJ ect...

I don't know what else u r rambling about, homie...I'm not talking about who was threatening or not...