Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13058448

Subject: "Men Who Date Women: Texts and Social Media" Previous topic | Next topic
caramelapplebttms
Member since Mar 09th 2004
3152 posts
Wed Aug-17-16 09:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Men Who Date Women: Texts and Social Media"
Wed Aug-17-16 09:39 PM by caramelapplebttms

*lines may be taped*

Instead, feel free to share the man rules you follow when it comes to text-based communication and social media.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
engaging via social media feels like mentally connecting to multiple peo...
Aug 17th 2016
So he wants my attention for no reason?
Aug 17th 2016
      man you have to assume people are children unless they show
Aug 17th 2016
      This is sound and potentially dangerous advice
Aug 18th 2016
           there's really no right or wrong, or even a strategic answer
Aug 18th 2016
      you don't have to click to watch snapchat stories
Aug 18th 2016
I have no set in stone rules
Aug 17th 2016
*gasp* men play games?
Aug 18th 2016
      just block him if you want its normal as shit
Aug 18th 2016
      Of course men play games. Lol
Aug 18th 2016
Initially...as in before say date 3...I only use text to set up a date.....
Aug 18th 2016
keep ya gif game strong
Aug 18th 2016
WE use social media differently
Aug 18th 2016

Kama7
Member since Mar 11th 2005
1448 posts
Wed Aug-17-16 09:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "engaging via social media feels like mentally connecting to multiple peo..."
In response to Reply # 0

in a text... its only mentally connecting to one person.

in a text... the connection must loop back (reply) or it terminates if there is no response.

in social media, the connection is broadcasted so the connection keeps going even if no one replies you know multiple people saw it.

there really no meaning relationship-wise except maybe you can interpret that he likes being connected to you but maybe not TOO intimately.

it also depends on the context of the initial text.

caramelapplebttms
3152 posts
Wed Aug-17-16 09:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "So he wants my attention for no reason?"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed Aug-17-16 09:57 PM by caramelapplebttms

the context of the text was a response to something he said he wanted to do with me. I replied with a date/time, got no reply back.

In the age of the text, the signal drop happens. I shrugged. But he's still watching my snapchat stories. He has to click on those to even see them, so it's not a passive thing.

Again, I'm good, but I'm just curious.

Edit to add: We aren't dating and that wasn't even the thing. It was on some "hey, we like the same things, let's get to know each other"- type stuff. And the outing was his idea.

I realize the title implies we were, but I just wanted a perspective from hetero men.

dba_BAD
Charter member
14873 posts
Wed Aug-17-16 11:58 PM

4. "man you have to assume people are children unless they show"
In response to Reply # 2

otherwise

so yes, he probably wants your attention for no reason, or doesn't know why he wants it, or wants it, but doesn't know what to do with it, or wants something, but doesn't know how to communicate it, or ask for it, or get it, or whatever...

grown ups will make themselves plain for the most part

__

fairweather

caramelapplebttms
3152 posts
Thu Aug-18-16 12:10 AM

6. "This is sound and potentially dangerous advice "
In response to Reply # 4
Thu Aug-18-16 12:23 AM by caramelapplebttms

>RE: man you have to assume people are children unless they show otherwise

Right. But when children act childish, do you ignore them? Pander to them? Respond in-kind?

>so yes, he probably wants your attention for no reason, or
>doesn't know why he wants it, or wants it, but doesn't know
>what to do with it, or wants something, but doesn't know how
>to communicate it, or ask for it, or get it, or whatever...
>
>grown ups will make themselves plain for the most part

I feel like I'm the direct chick that men claim they want. I just think people draw their opposites, regardless of their gender. I'm pretty plain. Just looking for the same.

Edit to add: Why would any of this matter in a platonic situation though?

dba_BAD
Charter member
14873 posts
Thu Aug-18-16 12:30 AM

8. "there's really no right or wrong, or even a strategic answer"
In response to Reply # 6

its however you feel like rolling

but if i've chosen to respond, i still stay my grown up self, no reason to try to manicure your responses, that doesn't serve anyone imo

and this all stays the same regardless if its a platonic encounter or not, at the end of the day you deserve to feel easy and comfy communicating

also, hi ~

__

fairweather

Rjcc
Charter member
94986 posts
Thu Aug-18-16 01:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "you don't have to click to watch snapchat stories"
In response to Reply # 2

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

BabyYoda
Member since Feb 15th 2012
3176 posts
Wed Aug-17-16 11:26 PM

3. "I have no set in stone rules"
In response to Reply # 0

But, depending on the person, I will engage in texting as well as communicate via facebook messenger.

Both should be used as a means to communicate, but not the sole means. Personally, I prefer to talk on the phone which leads to in person interaction.

As far as your situation that you shared with another poster,it seems to me that dude is playing games and/or is not into you enough to set up a date, hang out session or whatever you would call it. Otherwise, he would respond via text or better yet call you to confirm an outing with you.

If I was you, I would not bother unless he wants and acts upon setting up an in person outing with you.

caramelapplebttms
3152 posts
Thu Aug-18-16 12:05 AM

5. "*gasp* men play games?"
In response to Reply # 3

>As far as your situation that you shared with another
>poster,it seems to me that dude is playing games and/or is not
>into you enough to set up a date, hang out session or whatever
>you would call it. Otherwise, he would respond via text or
>better yet call you to confirm an outing with you.

But seriously, I figured as much. I'm a direct, clean break kinda person, so I'll have the "i'm not interested" convo and have had it several times. Crazy how many people don't favor the direct route.

>If I was you, I would not bother unless he wants and acts
>upon setting up an in person outing with you.

He's cancelled. I'm just trying to figure out how to get him to stop watching my SC stories. I'm tempted to block him but that makes it seems like I feel a way. When I'm done with people I'm just annoyed when I'm reminded of their existence, that's all.

dba_BAD
Charter member
14873 posts
Thu Aug-18-16 12:26 AM

7. "just block him if you want its normal as shit"
In response to Reply # 5

n/m

__

fairweather

BabyYoda
Member since Feb 15th 2012
3176 posts
Thu Aug-18-16 01:47 AM

10. "Of course men play games. Lol"
In response to Reply # 5

>
>>As far as your situation that you shared with another
>>poster,it seems to me that dude is playing games and/or is
>not
>>into you enough to set up a date, hang out session or
>whatever
>>you would call it. Otherwise, he would respond via text or
>>better yet call you to confirm an outing with you.
>
>
>But seriously, I figured as much. I'm a direct, clean break
>kinda person, so I'll have the "i'm not interested" convo and
>have had it several times. Crazy how many people don't favor
>the direct route.

Because rejection is a hard pill to swallow. It is also a hard pill to administer to someone. You have many people who like to indirectly reject someone which I find a bit cowardly. If you don't wanna be bothered, then say so. You don't have to be mean about it. There is a respectful way of letting people know that you aren't interested.
>
>>If I was you, I would not bother unless he wants and acts
>>upon setting up an in person outing with you.
>
>He's cancelled. I'm just trying to figure out how to get him
>to stop watching my SC stories. I'm tempted to block him but
>that makes it seems like I feel a way. When I'm done with
>people I'm just annoyed when I'm reminded of their existence,
>that's all.

I understand, but I would suggest not being concerned about his feelings and be more concerned about your peace of mind. If blocking him will prevent him from watching your stories, then so be it. He is a man, so he will get over it and move on.

Seven
Member since Dec 11th 2004
10708 posts
Thu Aug-18-16 03:24 AM

11. "Initially...as in before say date 3...I only use text to set up a date....."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Aug-18-16 03:31 AM by Seven

...after we've been out a few times and there's an obvious connection then I'll have conversations etc via text. I don't do the flirting shit via text early up. I save that for when we're face to face.
I've found that texting too much before we've established that there's chemistry etc can just lead to more and more texting and less meeting up. . It's really hard for me to get to know someone via text these days. Maybe I'm old school now. It's weird because I used to text a lot up to a few years ago. I don't have the time for that now and it doesn't feel right to me. Shrug.

I also don't text people I'm getting to know after 9pm. And I find it intrusive when someone I've been on a few dates texts me in the middle of the night or before 8am. Established friends....no problem. But someone I'm just getting to know and we haven't been intimate yet....naw.

Vast majority of my regular texting time is for my male friends (who are all busy with work and family...so we don't meet up as much) where we talk about current affairs, and regular shit happening in our lives (group chat)....or my parents.

now or never
Member since Oct 27th 2004
3821 posts
Thu Aug-18-16 10:50 AM

12. "keep ya gif game strong"
In response to Reply # 0

nothing breaks the ice and keeps things light with the modern media savvy woman than a well timed gif
especially ones that aren't all over the internet already
deep album cut gifs
they're basically better than actual conversation

and if all she sends you are rihanna gifs
walk away son

-----
No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. (c) HL Mencken or some other motherfucker.

JellyBean
Charter member
16875 posts
Thu Aug-18-16 11:32 AM

13. "WE use social media differently"
In response to Reply # 0

he's a lurker...I'm an active participant he doesn't like it.

So I try my best not to offend him while facebooking or instagramming.

"Holier than thou never sits well with me."(c)janey

"OKP spends way too much time looking for ways to be offended." ~legsdiamond

http://twitter.com/jeleighbean

Lobby General Discussion topic #13058448 Previous topic | Next topic