Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12923419

Subject: "Holla with ya boy about this economic theory" Search result list | First match | Last match
imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Fri Nov-06-15 07:52 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Holla with ya boy about this economic theory"

"We need a global economic system that is designed specifically for sustainability. We already have a global economic system in the form of institutions like the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund. Together, their agreements make up a comprehensive system. But right now, this system cheats future generations by systematically underpricing the true costs of our exploitation of the biosphere. It sets the prices of the Earth’s natural resources by establishing what is basically the aggregation of supplies and demands. But this process is biased toward pricing things lower and lower, because of pressure from buyers and the need for sellers to stay in business. As a result, sellers sell their products for less than they cost to make, which should lead to bankruptcy for the seller, but it doesn’t because parts of the costs have been shifted onto future generations to pay. When practiced systematically it becomes a kind of multi-generational Ponzi scheme, and leads to the mass extinction event of the early Anthropocene, which we have already started."

Nautilus

CULTURE | ANTHROPOLOGY
An Astrobiologist Asks a Sci-fi Novelist How to Survive the Anthropocene
Kim Stanley Robinson imagines our future.
BY DAVID GRINSPOON
ILLUSTRATIONS BY KYLE T. WEBSTER
FACEBOOK TWITTER
Humans will have a chance to prove their adaptability as the Earth undergoes unprecedented challenges in the Anthropocene, an era named after our impact on the biosphere. To learn what it takes to survive far into the future, astrobiologist David Grinspoon interviewed Kim Stanley Robinson, a writer regarded as one of the most important science fiction and political novelists alive today. Robinson’s recent book, 2312, permits humans to survive near-extinction and populate the solar system over the course of 300 years.

We decided to kick off the conversation with a 2312 excerpt from the chapter, “Earth, The Planet of Sadness:”

“Clean tech came too late to save Earth from the catastrophes of the early Anthropocene. It was one of the ironies of their time that they could radically change the surfaces of the other planets, but not Earth. The methods they employed in space were almost all too crude and violent. Only with the utmost caution could they tinker with anything on Earth, because everything there was so tightly balanced and interwoven.”

Grinspoon_BREAKER-03
David Grinspoon: Humans in 2312 can transverse the universe, but they could not save the Earth from environmental devastation. Do you think our intelligence just isn’t adaptive enough to learn how to live sustainably?

Kim Stanley Robinson: Human intelligence is adaptive. It’s given us enormous powers in the physical world thus far. With it, we’ve augmented our senses by way of technologies like microscopes, telescopes, and sensors, such that we have seen things many magnitudes smaller and larger than we could see with unaided senses, as well as things outside of our natural sensory ranges.

But our intelligence has also led to unprecedented problems as our planet reaches its carrying capacity. Is intelligence adaptive enough to adjust to the calamities of its own success? This situation is a completely new thing in history—which means that no one can answer the question now.

DG: What do you think it would take for us to persist?

KSR: I think we can make it through this current, calamitous time period. I envision a two-part process. First, we need to learn what to do in ecological terms. That sounds tricky, but the biosphere is robust and we know a lot about it, so really it’s a matter of refining our parameters; i.e. deciding how many of us constitutes a carrying capacity given our consumption, and then figuring out the technologies and lifestyles that would allow for that carrying capacity while also allowing ecosystems to thrive. We have a rough sense of these parameters now.

The second step is the political question: It’s a matter of self-governance. We’d need to act globally, and that’s obviously problematic. But the challenge is not really one of intellect. It’s the ability to enforce a set of laws that the majority would have to agree on and live by, and those who don’t agree would have to follow.

So this isn’t a question of reconciling gravity with quantum mechanics, or perceiving the strings of string theory. Instead it involves other aspects of intelligence, like sociability, long-range planning, law, and politics. Maybe these kinds of intelligence are even more difficult to develop, but in any case, they are well within our adaptive powers.

DG: Do you think the spread of Internet access can help us forge a multi-generational global identity that might drive change? It wouldn’t be the first time that technological advancements massively transformed humankind’s history.

KSR: The Internet may be helpful but we’ll need more than global awareness. We need a global economic system that is designed specifically for sustainability. We already have a global economic system in the form of institutions like the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund. Together, their agreements make up a comprehensive system. But right now, this system cheats future generations by systematically underpricing the true costs of our exploitation of the biosphere. It sets the prices of the Earth’s natural resources by establishing what is basically the aggregation of supplies and demands. But this process is biased toward pricing things lower and lower, because of pressure from buyers and the need for sellers to stay in business. As a result, sellers sell their products for less than they cost to make, which should lead to bankruptcy for the seller, but it doesn’t because parts of the costs have been shifted onto future generations to pay. When practiced systematically it becomes a kind of multi-generational Ponzi scheme, and leads to the mass extinction event of the early Anthropocene, which we have already started.

What we want is to remember that our system is constructed for a purpose, and so in need of constant fixing and new tries.

Measurements used by the Global Footprint Network and a famous study led by Robert Costanza have shown that the “natural services” we use can be assigned a dollar amount that is much greater than the entire human economy, and that we overdraw these resources and destroy their function. So in effect, we are eating our future.

And I think it’s going to be hard to change the global economic system quickly. There’s a term for that among economists called path dependence. For example, we have a path dependency on carbon that we could shift over to a cleaner and cheaper—cheaper, if you take into account the true costs to the planet—power and transport system. But the pace of technological change for something that big might be up to a century because we’re constrained by path dependence. And I don’t think we have that much time."

"we have to alter the system we already have, because like an animal with evolutionary constraints, we can’t change everything and start from scratch. But what we could do is reconstruct regulations on the existing global economic system. For this, we would need to wrench capitalism so that the global rules of the World Bank, etc., required ecological sustainability as their main criterion. That way, prices would shift to match their true costs. Burning carbon would cost more than it does now, and clean energy would become cheaper than burning carbon. This would address the most pressing part of our crisis, but finding a replacement for the market to allocate goods and price them is not easy.

As we enter this new mass extinction event, at some point there is going to be a global civilization response that will try to deal with it: try to cope, survive, and repair landscapes and ecosystems. The scientific method and democratic politics are going to be the crucial tools, I’d say. For them to work, we need universal justice and education because we need active and well-educated citizens who are empowered and live at adequacy.

From where we are now, this looks pretty hard, but I think that’s because capitalism as we know it is represented as natural, entrenched, and immutable. None of that is true. It’s a political order and political orders change. What we want is to remember that our system is constructed for a purpose, and so in need of constant fixing and new tries."

- Kim Stanley Robinson

http://m.nautil.us/issue/28/2050/an-astrobiologist-asks-a-sci_fi-novelist-how-to-survive-the-anthropocene-rp

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
disagree with the reasoning of prices going lower
Nov 06th 2015
The criticism I have with this is it's biased to the "developed" world.....
Nov 06th 2015
Following her theory, the developed world would be in serious debt.
Nov 07th 2015
What a strange position to take
Nov 08th 2015
Do you think the developed world telling less-developed countries how to...
Nov 14th 2015
      At this point western world ain't telling nobody to do anything
Nov 17th 2015
*this is so critical*
Nov 08th 2015
worlds 1st drone port coming to rwanda
Nov 09th 2015
Blaming all humanity for climate change, lets capitalism off the hook
Nov 14th 2015

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Fri Nov-06-15 03:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "disagree with the reasoning of prices going lower"
In response to Reply # 0

tho agree the global model is not sustainable

back later

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Fri Nov-06-15 04:00 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "The criticism I have with this is it's biased to the "developed" world....."
In response to Reply # 0

America and Western Europe got to where they are today economically by polluting the shit out of everything.

Now we want to get on our high horse and tell the developing nations in Africa, Asia, and South America to chill and be sustainable? Why don't they get their turn to prosper?

Meadow
Member since May 05th 2012
1160 posts
Sat Nov-07-15 11:21 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Following her theory, the developed world would be in serious debt."
In response to Reply # 2

You see where this is going...

imcvspl
42239 posts
Sun Nov-08-15 01:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "What a strange position to take"
In response to Reply # 2

>America and Western Europe got to where they are today
>economically by polluting the shit out of everything.

It seems that you understand that the profit motives of the western world ignored the global implications and have led to the decay of the ecosystem to the point of no return. But it would seem your argument against it isn't that it happened and continues to happen, but that it shut out the third world in its profits, ecosystem be damned.

>Now we want to get on our high horse and tell the developing
>nations in Africa, Asia, and South America to chill and be
>sustainable? Why don't they get their turn to prosper?

Its as if you do not recognize that the only prosperity comes from the arriving to sustainability, and instead equate it with the same values that did the destruction in the first place. That's a serious tangent from where KSR was talking.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Sat Nov-14-15 11:54 PM

8. "Do you think the developed world telling less-developed countries how to..."
In response to Reply # 2

limits the rights of the developing world to define their own destiny as the developed world did?

It does seem patronizing that the reason for the global climate change is due to the developed world making the world a wasteland and then those countries telling the rest of the world to follow them, when they've shown a limited sense of cooperation.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Tue Nov-17-15 08:14 AM

9. "At this point western world ain't telling nobody to do anything"
In response to Reply # 8

But maintain the status quo. I'd love to see some sort of thirdworld allegiance to hold the first world accountable for its shit if it meant enough pressure to actually affect change. But at this point playing the blame game is just wasting time we don't really have.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Sun Nov-08-15 06:05 PM

5. "*this is so critical*"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Nov-08-15 06:07 PM by akon

"For this, we would need to wrench capitalism so that the global rules of the World Bank, etc., required ecological sustainability as their main criterion. That way, prices would shift to match their true costs. Burning carbon would cost more than it does now, and clean energy would become cheaper than burning carbon. This would address the most pressing part of our crisis, but finding a replacement for the market to allocate goods and price them is not easy."

although i do think clean energy alternatives are already cheaper than carbon,
even in the developing world - e.g. which is why i think clintons clean cookstoves initiative is misguided
since it is essentially still producing a wood-burning stove (and smoke)
the main limitation in the conversion from carbon to LPN is usually the upfront cost (of buying a gas stove- they should invest in making these cheaper - although costs have gone down dramatically due to chinese technology- and this may have a bigger impact that the global alliance)

and whatever happened to the REDD initiative, btw

But i do think its misguided to think that sustainability = loss in profitability
i think sustainable economies and (newer) green technologies actually do increase profitability (also indirectly through increased efficiency/lowered costs)

the developing world has a lot to gain from becoming more sustainable
we've already taken great strides in bypassing old, inefficient technology (e.g land-lines)
perhaps as solar technology rapidly improves we may see energy independence come from adapting these - like how cool is this? http://www.energylivenews.com/2014/09/19/big-kenya-car-park-gets-solar-system/

but... i do wonder if humanity is doomed - and doomed to be the first species responsible for its own extinction?
it would be ironical.

http://perspectivesudans.blogspot.com/
i myself would never want to be god,or even like god.Because god got all these human beings on this planet and i most certainly would not want to be responsible for them, or even have the disgrace that i made them.

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Mon Nov-09-15 09:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "worlds 1st drone port coming to rwanda"
In response to Reply # 5

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/sep/30/rwanda-chosen-for-worlds-first-drone-port-to-deliver-medical-supplies

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Sat Nov-14-15 05:48 PM

7. "Blaming all humanity for climate change, lets capitalism off the hook"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2015/03/anthropocene-capitalism-climate-change/

"The earth has now, we are told, entered “the Anthropocene”: the epoch of humanity. Enormously popular — and accepted even by many Marxist scholars — the Anthropocene concept suggests that humankind is the new geological force transforming the planet beyond recognition, chiefly by burning prodigious amounts of coal, oil, and natural gas."

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

Lobby General Discussion topic #12923419Search result list | First match | Last match