Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subject*this is so critical*
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12923419&mesg_id=12924269
12924269, *this is so critical*
Posted by akon, Sun Nov-08-15 06:05 PM
"For this, we would need to wrench capitalism so that the global rules of the World Bank, etc., required ecological sustainability as their main criterion. That way, prices would shift to match their true costs. Burning carbon would cost more than it does now, and clean energy would become cheaper than burning carbon. This would address the most pressing part of our crisis, but finding a replacement for the market to allocate goods and price them is not easy."

although i do think clean energy alternatives are already cheaper than carbon,
even in the developing world - e.g. which is why i think clintons clean cookstoves initiative is misguided
since it is essentially still producing a wood-burning stove (and smoke)
the main limitation in the conversion from carbon to LPN is usually the upfront cost (of buying a gas stove- they should invest in making these cheaper - although costs have gone down dramatically due to chinese technology- and this may have a bigger impact that the global alliance)

and whatever happened to the REDD initiative, btw

But i do think its misguided to think that sustainability = loss in profitability
i think sustainable economies and (newer) green technologies actually do increase profitability (also indirectly through increased efficiency/lowered costs)

the developing world has a lot to gain from becoming more sustainable
we've already taken great strides in bypassing old, inefficient technology (e.g land-lines)
perhaps as solar technology rapidly improves we may see energy independence come from adapting these - like how cool is this? http://www.energylivenews.com/2014/09/19/big-kenya-car-park-gets-solar-system/

but... i do wonder if humanity is doomed - and doomed to be the first species responsible for its own extinction?
it would be ironical.