Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12851756

Subject: "Anyone have experiences with purchasing a timeshare?" Previous topic | Next topic
Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59182 posts
Mon Jul-13-15 09:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Anyone have experiences with purchasing a timeshare?"

The wife and I got a free stay in AC with the promise of Airline tickets(strings attached) if we sat through a timeshare presentation.

We vacation regularly so a timeshare would be beneficial for us if certain factors were met. We've sat through at least 4 timeshare presentations before (for free gifts) and were never tempted to buy bc it wasn't right for us at the time.

After hearing the presentations, and the benefits that come with it we thought it would be good for us if the price was right. The initial price was too expensive, but the sales guy dropped the price twice in a span of 10 minutes with no haggle from us. (not usually a good sign) In fact, after the 1st price drop I told him to give me and my wife a couple of minutes to discuss and he came back within another minute with another price drop. The final price was over 50% less than what he originally offered.

They told us that we have 7 to days to cancel if we so desired. I felt great and excited about the purchase the night of but woke up the next morning with doubts and 2nd thoughts. I read some reviews online and many people had complaints, although it seems like a good portion of the complaints were false expectations from the consumer.

In reading alot of the legalese regarding timeshare sales, the sales team bordered on the line of illegal activity ie Its illegal for them to promise that the timeshare will increase in value, or to promise profits by renting it out yourself, but they definitely implied it.

My biggest concern worry at this point is that we purchased the timeshare with the idea that we'd mostly use it as an exchange to go visit other places, but alot of what i read says that you should always have a timeshare in a place you wouldn't mind going every year in the event that you can't exchange. The sales guy made it seem like exchanges wouldn't be an issue at all bc we have a desirable property but I need confirmation of that from the exchange company for me to feel confident.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
My parents have had one through Marriot for over a decade
Jul 13th 2015
thank you, what you mention are what my concerns are at this point
Jul 13th 2015
RE: Anyone have experiences with purchasing a timeshare?
Jul 13th 2015
I came in here to post the same thing
Jul 13th 2015
this part is key
Jul 13th 2015
thanks..we don't have kids and our schedule is pretty flexible
Jul 13th 2015
      yea i think that makes sense to cancel and reevaluate
Jul 13th 2015
           yes we are aware of those. We travel enough that if the exchange works
Jul 13th 2015
RE: Anyone have experiences with purchasing a timeshare?
Jul 13th 2015

Cocobrotha2
Charter member
10884 posts
Mon Jul-13-15 09:46 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "My parents have had one through Marriot for over a decade"
In response to Reply # 0

>The wife and I got a free stay in AC with the promise of
>Airline tickets(strings attached) if we sat through a
>timeshare presentation.
>
>We vacation regularly so a timeshare would be beneficial for
>us if certain factors were met. We've sat through at least 4
>timeshare presentations before (for free gifts) and were never
>tempted to buy bc it wasn't right for us at the time.
>
>After hearing the presentations, and the benefits that come
>with it we thought it would be good for us if the price was
>right. The initial price was too expensive, but the sales guy
>dropped the price twice in a span of 10 minutes with no haggle
>from us. (not usually a good sign) In fact, after the 1st
>price drop I told him to give me and my wife a couple of
>minutes to discuss and he came back within another minute with
>another price drop. The final price was over 50% less than
>what he originally offered.
>
>They told us that we have 7 to days to cancel if we so
>desired. I felt great and excited about the purchase the night
>of but woke up the next morning with doubts and 2nd thoughts.
>I read some reviews online and many people had complaints,
>although it seems like a good portion of the complaints were
>false expectations from the consumer.
>
>In reading alot of the legalese regarding timeshare sales, the
>sales team bordered on the line of illegal activity ie Its
>illegal for them to promise that the timeshare will increase
>in value, or to promise profits by renting it out yourself,
>but they definitely implied it.
>
>My biggest concern worry at this point is that we purchased
>the timeshare with the idea that we'd mostly use it as an
>exchange to go visit other places, but alot of what i read
>says that you should always have a timeshare in a place you
>wouldn't mind going every year in the event that you can't
>exchange. The sales guy made it seem like exchanges wouldn't
>be an issue at all bc we have a desirable property but I need
>confirmation of that from the exchange company for me to feel
>confident.

Their home location is Myrtle Beach but they always end up exchanging theirs through Intervals.com .

It's become a bit of burden because they don't want to go to Myrtle Beach (and they haven't been back in years). They started offering up their timeshare to me and my siblings... we just cover the yearly maintenance and they help us with the arrangements wherever we want to go. Still, they occasionally end up traveling just because they don't want to waste the yearly maintenance fees.

If you're going to get a timeshare, I'd only consider it if it was somewhere I already went regularly. A friend of mine has one in Vegas that she goes to just about every year.

The exchanges aren't too hard. Like I said, everything goes through Intervals.com and you can find all kinds of other timeshares that are available for exchange. The biggest caveat is that it's hard to get an exchange into popular locations... there are few openings bc most people there end up using theirs and there's high demand for exchanges into those spots. It took my parents a year to exchange theirs for Dubai but it was worth it.

Overall, I think it can be valuable but only if you like your home location but still travel regularly. If you can withstand the sales pitches (and they come at you HARD), you can negotiate a decent deal. But just remember.... the contract is basically for life because they're still very hard to sell.

<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->

Cenario
59182 posts
Mon Jul-13-15 10:06 AM

5. "thank you, what you mention are what my concerns are at this point"
In response to Reply # 1

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7008 posts
Mon Jul-13-15 09:54 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "RE: Anyone have experiences with purchasing a timeshare?"
In response to Reply # 0

with vrbo, all the discount sites and airbnb is it even needed?

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

calij81
Member since Jan 17th 2007
13929 posts
Mon Jul-13-15 10:00 AM

4. "I came in here to post the same thing "
In response to Reply # 2

sndesai1
Member since Feb 02nd 2013
1229 posts
Mon Jul-13-15 09:57 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "this part is key"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jul-13-15 10:01 AM by sndesai1

>My biggest concern worry at this point is that we purchased
>the timeshare with the idea that we'd mostly use it as an
>exchange to go visit other places, but alot of what i read
>says that you should always have a timeshare in a place you
>wouldn't mind going every year in the event that you can't
>exchange. The sales guy made it seem like exchanges wouldn't
>be an issue at all bc we have a desirable property but I need
>confirmation of that from the exchange company for me to feel
>confident.

you really shouldn't mind going to that location every year. for exchanges, you're going to need a flexible schedule - if you have kids and need to go during spring break or other common vacation times, it'll be hard to go to the popular spots.

it's also way more of a hassle to do exchanges than plan regular vacations - however, if you get lucky, you can also end up in super luxurious places you otherwise would never pay for - i just stayed at http://highlandsinn.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html using my parents timeshare for 2 nights. the total cost ended up being about $200 of maintenance fees - the room i stayed in goes for ~700/night

i don't think i would advise anybody to buy one unless they're 50+, but i will also say that a lot of the complaints on the internet come from people who probably weren't paying attention to what they were getting

Cenario
59182 posts
Mon Jul-13-15 10:09 AM

6. "thanks..we don't have kids and our schedule is pretty flexible"
In response to Reply # 3

I have a lot of questions based on what i've read or thought about After signing everything. So right now, we fall into that category of people that weren't paying attention to what we were getting.

Also, we always shop around and do research which we didn't do here. Just bc we were and even if a timeshare purchase is for us, it doesn't mean that THAT timeshare is the right one. I'd rather shop around and find a location that we actually choose based on our needs /desires. I'm pretty sure at this point that we are going to cancel.

sndesai1
Member since Feb 02nd 2013
1229 posts
Mon Jul-13-15 10:27 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "yea i think that makes sense to cancel and reevaluate"
In response to Reply # 6

also, just in case you weren't aware, there are "every other year" timeshares. i don't know much about how the cost would compare to regular ones, but i imagine it would be a smaller investment both money-wise and in terms of having to plan around using up the timeshare.

Cenario
59182 posts
Mon Jul-13-15 10:50 AM

9. "yes we are aware of those. We travel enough that if the exchange works "
In response to Reply # 7

for us we'd use it yearly and multiple times a year if possible. It just depends on the flexibility that we'd have to exchange. That is probably the biggest factor for us.

Tiggerific
Member since May 24th 2007
13451 posts
Mon Jul-13-15 10:30 AM

8. "RE: Anyone have experiences with purchasing a timeshare?"
In response to Reply # 0

My mom had one and we were so excited. But, eventually she decided to sell it because she knew that the fees would keep going up and she didn't want that expense to fall on my family one day. So, she sold it.

"We don't make mistakes, we just have happy little accidents" - Bob Ross

"I'm wearing a MSU Tshirt because I went to MSU, you are wearing a UM Tshirt because you went to Walmart!" -unknown.

http://bjsquirrelchronicles.blogspot.com

Lobby General Discussion topic #12851756 Previous topic | Next topic