Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectAnyone have experiences with purchasing a timeshare?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12851756&mesg_id=12851756
12851756, Anyone have experiences with purchasing a timeshare?
Posted by Cenario, Mon Jul-13-15 09:06 AM
The wife and I got a free stay in AC with the promise of Airline tickets(strings attached) if we sat through a timeshare presentation.

We vacation regularly so a timeshare would be beneficial for us if certain factors were met. We've sat through at least 4 timeshare presentations before (for free gifts) and were never tempted to buy bc it wasn't right for us at the time.

After hearing the presentations, and the benefits that come with it we thought it would be good for us if the price was right. The initial price was too expensive, but the sales guy dropped the price twice in a span of 10 minutes with no haggle from us. (not usually a good sign) In fact, after the 1st price drop I told him to give me and my wife a couple of minutes to discuss and he came back within another minute with another price drop. The final price was over 50% less than what he originally offered.

They told us that we have 7 to days to cancel if we so desired. I felt great and excited about the purchase the night of but woke up the next morning with doubts and 2nd thoughts. I read some reviews online and many people had complaints, although it seems like a good portion of the complaints were false expectations from the consumer.

In reading alot of the legalese regarding timeshare sales, the sales team bordered on the line of illegal activity ie Its illegal for them to promise that the timeshare will increase in value, or to promise profits by renting it out yourself, but they definitely implied it.

My biggest concern worry at this point is that we purchased the timeshare with the idea that we'd mostly use it as an exchange to go visit other places, but alot of what i read says that you should always have a timeshare in a place you wouldn't mind going every year in the event that you can't exchange. The sales guy made it seem like exchanges wouldn't be an issue at all bc we have a desirable property but I need confirmation of that from the exchange company for me to feel confident.