Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13058296

Subject: "has your mental health ever led you to lose a job?" Previous topic | Next topic
shamus
Member since Oct 18th 2004
4465 posts
Wed Aug-17-16 03:23 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"has your mental health ever led you to lose a job?"

either you felt you had to quit or were fired because of diminished performance?

how do you tell the difference between a mental health concern and just general working person misery?

--
the untold want by life and land ne'er granted
now voyager sail thou forth to seek and find

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Presently dealing with this
Aug 17th 2016
is most of the stress coming from your relationship with you supervisor
Aug 17th 2016
no, but i did take a sabbatical from work. i was ready to quit tho.
Aug 17th 2016
yeah, this is where i'm at
Aug 17th 2016
      hmmm
Aug 17th 2016
going through this dilemma now.
Aug 17th 2016
RE: going through this dilemma now.
Aug 17th 2016
      its a considerable gray area for sure
Aug 17th 2016
RE: A job, a love. . . an entire life, really.
Aug 17th 2016
You'll never get over it entirely. It just gets more distant.
Aug 17th 2016
      RE: You'll never get over it entirely. It just gets more distant.
Aug 17th 2016
i've negotiated a reassignment before because of mental health
Aug 17th 2016
Not yet
Aug 17th 2016
nah but i had to go see a therapist
Aug 17th 2016
RE: has your mental health ever led you to lose a job?
Aug 18th 2016
no but came close...
Aug 18th 2016
yeah. a nigga was tripping but it was a fuck-ass job.
Aug 18th 2016
RE: has your mental health ever led you to lose a job?
Aug 18th 2016
i was close.. so close to losing this one job
Aug 18th 2016
If your job sucks, Get another job. Same with relationships
Aug 18th 2016

JellyBean
Charter member
16875 posts
Wed Aug-17-16 03:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Presently dealing with this"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm on the verge of losing my job because of workplace "bullying". I have been in my present job for 4 1/2 years...it wasn't until I began working here that I developed stress induced epilepsy.

In April, after coming home from work...I had four seizures and was admitted in the hospital. I was subsequently written up for 'no call, no show' even though one of my friends--that I happen to work with...emailed my supervisor letting her know I was incoherent and unable to call on my own, gave my family's contact info.

"Holier than thou never sits well with me."(c)janey

"OKP spends way too much time looking for ways to be offended." ~legsdiamond

http://twitter.com/jeleighbean

shamus
4465 posts
Wed Aug-17-16 03:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "is most of the stress coming from your relationship with you supervisor"
In response to Reply # 1

or is it multiple people, or the entire situation?

also, i'm sorry that you're going through that. has the epilepsy been this bad over the course of all 41/2 years?

--

IpanemaGirl
Member since Sep 27th 2005
300 posts
Wed Aug-17-16 03:42 PM

2. "no, but i did take a sabbatical from work. i was ready to quit tho."
In response to Reply # 0

>how do you tell the difference between a mental health concern
>and just general working person misery?

i am pretty aware of how i become when depressed, so it was clear to me that it was related to that. basic tasks, things i could previously handle, were becoming difficult

shamus
4465 posts
Wed Aug-17-16 03:48 PM

4. "yeah, this is where i'm at"
In response to Reply # 2

but i think the work is inducing the depression, as opposed to an occurrance of depression affecting the work

>i am pretty aware of how i become when depressed, so it was
>clear to me that it was related to that. basic tasks, things i
>could previously handle, were becoming difficult

--

IpanemaGirl
300 posts
Wed Aug-17-16 06:04 PM

8. "hmmm"
In response to Reply # 4

i think u got to be careful and assess the root cause of whats going on...you cant control whether u get fired or not, but up and quitting can either be just what you need or it can cause you to spiral into more depression.

i took my sabbatical and just left the country and travelled alone for 2 months...but, i was carrying around my issues so the change in environment didn't help much. once i got back to my job, i went back to feeling the same way

but if u believe work is the cause of ur depression, you need a make a change. don't waste anymore time staying in a place that is causing you stress

DunDaDa
Charter member
7411 posts
Wed Aug-17-16 03:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "going through this dilemma now."
In response to Reply # 0

it sucks b/c racist attitudes are prevalent at this company and I feel there's no one at work I can reach out to about this...and I'm in HR to boot.

----------------------------------------------------------------
respect the gift.

shamus
4465 posts
Wed Aug-17-16 05:21 PM

6. "RE: going through this dilemma now."
In response to Reply # 5

Who do hr people supposed to go to when they're having issues at work?

--

DunDaDa
Charter member
7411 posts
Wed Aug-17-16 07:28 PM

13. "its a considerable gray area for sure"
In response to Reply # 6

----------------------------------------------------------------
respect the gift.

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Wed Aug-17-16 05:54 PM

7. "RE: A job, a love. . . an entire life, really."
In response to Reply # 0

It's been a year and I'm now in another state, another job in another field and just generally another state of mind.

Don't really know if I ever got over it.

"I wasn't sure if I was lost or running away again. . ."

http://austinato.bandcamp.com

http://www.discogs.com/lists/Favorites-of-2016/269401

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44996 posts
Wed Aug-17-16 06:31 PM

9. "You'll never get over it entirely. It just gets more distant. "
In response to Reply # 7

Sorry to hear all that. Hopefully you're doing better these days.

IpanemaGirl
300 posts
Wed Aug-17-16 07:10 PM

12. "RE: You'll never get over it entirely. It just gets more distant. "
In response to Reply # 9

aint that the truth! learning to let go of what/who I once was is the hardest part for me.

slight post jack: how do u deal with ppl you love (friends/family) not understanding you anymore? more specifically, very close friends/family who pass judgement bc of ur mental illness.

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Wed Aug-17-16 06:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "i've negotiated a reassignment before because of mental health"
In response to Reply # 0

it was rough. and the people i worked with, though they tried very hard to be supportive, really didn't get it.

but i'm learning (hopefully i've learned) how to be more proactive and communicate my mental health needs and limits before new projects and assignments happen.

i love my work and i love working hard, but most people who go into my profession have completely different mental states and theories of mind, so it can be lonely and stressful if i don't go out of my way to communicate that.

rzaroch36
Member since Jan 26th 2005
2462 posts
Wed Aug-17-16 06:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "Not yet"
In response to Reply # 0

But get back to me in about 6 months. Raising this toddler and teaching middle school might take its toll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5P6zdlPJ34&feature=related
^^^ever walked the streets of...

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Wed Aug-17-16 07:50 PM

14. "nah but i had to go see a therapist"
In response to Reply # 0

and i essentially refused to come to work for a few days

next thing i know my boss is calling me telling me they gave me a promotion and asked me to come back lol

Sarah_Bellum
Charter member
7489 posts
Thu Aug-18-16 12:24 AM

15. "RE: has your mental health ever led you to lose a job?"
In response to Reply # 0

The best way to assess this is probably see a therapist before it gets to the point where you walk in one day and you're fired or you get so depress you up and quit or stop performing the job all tohgether.
You might want to inform HR that you are having some mental health issues, get documentation from a therapist so that it will be harder to fire you if you need to take some time. I know it can be hard to do that though.

DJTB YOMM

KnowOne
Charter member
39952 posts
Thu Aug-18-16 07:58 AM

16. "no but came close..."
In response to Reply # 0

Was going through a mania, and really acting out. My boss at the time could tell something mental was going on with me and gave me more passes than I probably deserved. Eventually I started seeing a shrink, got on some meds and was good to go. I told him how much I appreciated him for sticking by me during that tough time.

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

2.tears.in.a.bucket
Member since Sep 04th 2009
6185 posts
Thu Aug-18-16 08:15 AM

17. "yeah. a nigga was tripping but it was a fuck-ass job."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Aug-18-16 08:22 AM by 2.tears.in.a.bucket

working debt collections (during the recession) fresh outta college for a few years & a nigga was broke, burnt out, anxious and p-noid.

ended up going back to school & getting tech certs & quit shortly after getting my first entry-level tech gig.

i belong here in IT with all these other weirdos. we understand one another. damn near everybody in here got a therapist. as it should be.

i know it can be stressful as fuck where jobs are concerned bc bills, but a khaled major key for me was the realization that (on some level) i actually have to give a fuck abt that i'm doing. some folk i know can do anything as long as they're getting a check. i'd blow my brains out.

also, never let the fear of losing a job get so strong that you lose sight of the fact that a job is a fucking job and there are a trillion of them out there. even if you do get your walking papers, the betting odds say that you will survive it. never let a gig rob you of your personal power to change & transform your own life.

hold your head. sending positive energy to you.

♚♚♚♚

#BYLUG >>> https://goo.gl/1ooFp6

♚♚♚♚

screamin' mothafuck a 12 /
bitches ain't shit /
cops ain't neither /
they huntin' my people /

- i. rashad

♚♚♚♚

BKDominican
Member since Jan 13th 2011
936 posts
Thu Aug-18-16 11:57 AM

18. "RE: has your mental health ever led you to lose a job?"
In response to Reply # 0

I had a job in Bronx working at a family shelter, and my personal life was in total disarray. We worked on the first floor of the building that the resident lived in and my window faced the street. My supervisor called my name, and asked if I was ok, he noticed that I was staring out the window motionless for three hours. My depression hit me full force, and I lost control.

Looking back on it, my reaction was triggered. I had a client that was married and both were recovering heroin addicts. They were both good looking people and I would imagine were gorgeous before they started using, and he shared with me how they lived under a bridge at one point, but that he would not leave her side. It was endearing but it made me realize what I didn't have at home. My marriage had started it decline towards divorce and the realization hit me really hard.

My depression made it hard to focus or even socialize at work. I lost the job about three months after that and hit rock bottom. Six years later I know why it happened but for a 100 million I would not re-live this experience.

GROOVEPHI
Charter member
10630 posts
Thu Aug-18-16 12:10 PM

19. "i was close.. so close to losing this one job"
In response to Reply # 0

Worst fucking job ever.
The commute. The work. The fucking people. The politics. I hated everything about that damn job.

I was depressed like shit for 9 months while working there. Shit was affecting my home life. I would come home and wouldn't even interact with my family. It was affecting my physical health. My performance was lacking. I'd never had a job where I would come to work and think 'they probably gonna fire me today" until I worked there.

I ended up getting another job. When I got the phone call that I was hired it was like a weight was lifted off of me.
Shit now, I'm making double what I was making at that bullshit ass job and no fucking stress.

Crisco
Member since May 21st 2003
14015 posts
Thu Aug-18-16 01:01 PM

20. "If your job sucks, Get another job. Same with relationships"
In response to Reply # 0

Why do people work in misery or live in misery.
You can control your own destiny.
I've had one stressful job, as a DYFS caseworker and I limited it to the minimum amount of time required in that position before I could transfer to something I like. Matter of fact I got out of that sh*tty job before the 2 year minimum. Why? Because I made it happen.

Life's to short....Don't work under duress.

---------------------------------------
My Sig - Nig!!
Hip Hop is a perfect verse over a dope beat!!

Just a Day in the Life, Of a Playa for Life!!
My Datpiff Page
http://www.datpiff.com/JayfromJerz-and-DJ-Sat-One-The-Bee-Sides-mixtape.709908.html
http://

Lobby General Discussion topic #13058296 Previous topic | Next topic