Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2651589

Subject: "WENGER OUT (Futbol 4/20-4/22)" Previous topic | Next topic
bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Fri Apr-20-18 07:28 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"WENGER OUT (Futbol 4/20-4/22)"

It finally happened!

http://www.espn.com/soccer/arsenal/story/3463890/arsenal-manager-arsene-wenger-to-step-down-at-end-of-season

Arsene Wenger has announced he is stepping down as Arsenal manager at the end of the season, bringing an end to a 21-and-a-half-year reign that brought unprecedented early success but saw a late decline that made his position increasingly untenable.

Wenger issued a statement on Friday that caught everyone by surprise, announcing his departure and thanking the club for letting him serve for "so many memorable years."

He added: "After careful consideration and following discussions with the club, I feel it is the right time for me to step down at the end of the season. I am grateful for having had the privilege to serve the club for so many memorable years.

"I managed the club with full commitment and integrity. I want to thank the staff, the players, the Directors and the fans who make this club so special. I urge our fans to stand behind the team to finish on a high.

"To all the Arsenal lovers take care of the values of the club. My love and support for ever."

- Ogden: Wenger to leave with tarnished legacy
- Karen: Wenger right to leave Arsenal but fans must show respect
- Candidates to replace Wenger at Arsenal
- Wenger's top 10 Arsenal moments

Arsenal said a new manager will be appointed "as soon as possible."

Speaking to reporters on Thursday, Wenger said that former Gunners captain Patrick Vieira "has the potential" to succeed him as manager one day when asked about reports linking the New York City FC coach with the job.

Club chief executive Ivan Gazidis is scheduled to hold a news conference at 5 p.m. local time on Friday.

According to Press Association Sport, Wenger asked Arsenal to hold off announcing his decision to leave the club so he could inform his players first-hand.

Wenger was keen to tell the Arsenal players himself and did so ahead of training at their London Colney base and minutes before the news was made public by the club.

His coaching staff were also informed of the decision in advance, although club staff working at the Emirates Stadium rather than the training ground discovered the news at the same time as everyone else.

View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter

Arsenal FC

@Arsenal
#MerciArsène

5:17 AM - Apr 20, 2018
30.5K people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Speculation surrounding the Frenchman's future has been rampant in recent months, with Arsenal set to miss out on a top-four finish in the Premier League for the second year running. Still, there was a general feeling that he could still save his job and see out the remaining year of his contract if Arsenal won the Europa League, thus qualifying for next season's Champions League.

But Friday's unexpeced announcement ensures that Wenger will be given a send-off fitting for a man who many consider the greatest manager in the club's history.

The Frenchman was largely unknown in England when he was appointed in 1996 but led the team to a domestic double in 1998, the first of three league titles and seven FA Cups he has delivered.

Arsene Wenger has won three Premier League titles and seven FA Cups during his time at Arsenal Marco Bertorello/AFP/Getty Images
But the last of those league titles came in the unbeaten "Invincibles" season of 2003-04 and fans have grown increasingly restless with the failure to challenge for the Premier League crown in recent years. Despite three FA Cups in the last four seasons, calls for his resignation have steadily grown, and reached a peak this season as the Gunners limp toward their worst league finish of Wenger's reign.

Wenger himself gave no hint whatsoever during Thursday's news conference that he was about to step down and has previously said he would respect his contract.

Majority owner Stan Kroenke said parting ways with Wenger was "one of the most difficult days we have ever had in all our years in sport."

The American added: "We have high ambitions to build on Arsene's remarkable tenure and to honour his vision by ensuring that Arsenal competes for and wins the biggest and most important prizes in the game.

"We must now focus on making a strong finish to the season and ask our millions of fans around the world to join us in paying appropriate tribute to one of the greats of Arsenal's history and one of the greats of the game."

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

WENGER OUT (Futbol 4/20-4/22) [View all] , bshelly, Fri Apr-20-18 07:28 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
merci arsene.
Apr 20th 2018
Salut, to a gentleman and a truly great human being
Apr 20th 2018
agreed on all counts. def 4 years too late
Apr 20th 2018
Potential replacement? My vote would be for Jardim
Apr 20th 2018
Brandon Rodgers at 4-1 apparently
Apr 20th 2018
um
Apr 20th 2018
yeah I'm gonna pretend like I didn't read that.
Apr 20th 2018
espn swipe:
Apr 20th 2018
also, about Jardim
Apr 20th 2018
merci Arsene, as much as its needed, still a gut punch
Apr 20th 2018
I think clearly Arsenal have got to go with Alan Pardew now.
Apr 20th 2018
AFTV golden era over.
Apr 20th 2018
Respect to an all-time great
Apr 20th 2018
i'm actually emotional
Apr 20th 2018
2 years too late.
Apr 20th 2018
just texted troopz btw. man is ecstatic lolz.
Apr 20th 2018
notifications turned on
Apr 20th 2018
dude is cool as shit.
Apr 20th 2018
      yeah he comes off as 100 percent real
Apr 20th 2018
oh wow i thought you were clowning
Apr 20th 2018
      yeah man, he's a trip.
Apr 20th 2018
           that's whats up
Apr 20th 2018
                niggas with accents, man.
Apr 20th 2018
Respect - he changed the gm and the club
Apr 20th 2018
i've always been weirdly fond of him
Apr 20th 2018
dope cover on tomorrow's Guardian Sport
Apr 20th 2018
let's never play moreno, klavan, and gomez at the back again
Apr 21st 2018
Such a Badly coached team. And I know bad coaching when I see it
Apr 21st 2018
Good game. Intense
Apr 21st 2018
2nd was all Alexis
Apr 21st 2018
Love when Herrera scores
Apr 21st 2018
28 & counting
Apr 21st 2018
Spurs bereft of ideas due to Jose.
Apr 21st 2018
another trophyless campaign for the scumbags.
Apr 21st 2018
f’real
Apr 21st 2018
L.
Apr 21st 2018
FUCK WIZ KHALIFA
Apr 21st 2018
If Van Dijk is worth 75 mil, Koulibaly is worth 100
Apr 22nd 2018
I’m still 100% mad Deschamps let him go
Apr 22nd 2018
      It's looking like a fascinating, extremely stressful endgame