Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #740001

Subject: "I thought it had a real flow to it, and Lily Collins surprised me a lot" Previous topic | Next topic
Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15319 posts
Sun Dec-06-20 11:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I thought it had a real flow to it, and Lily Collins surprised me a lot"
In response to In response to 0

But as somebody who plays a lot of video games, I do have to admit I was often distracted by a form of digital artifacting that's super common when you fake depth of field (it's easiest to see in replay modes on sports games) and unintentionally create a sort of halo around the frame of the model/actor. Including with how often the grey tones were more flat than truly black and white, this was one of Fincher's least pleasant movies to look at - which is a shame because a lot of the shots themselves are as epic and perfect as usual for him.

I really enjoyed the stuff that ran parallel to modern times, but like the movie it's often alluding to found the narrative structure didn't always keep momentum going - and honestly, found the political angle a lot more interesting than all the Orson Welles stuff, which mostly just feels like a consequence of the script's source material more than absolutely necessary to this story. Even if the shot of Welles entering the hospital is one of the highlights.

I'm not sure where I'd rank this in Fincher's overall body. All the flaws for me were pretty nitpicky, but I'm also not sure who this movie is for other than movie geeks so I found it hard to recommend to other movie geeks at work afterwards because they'll either get to it eventually or not and nobody's life will be any different.

The script rips, though.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Mank (2020, Fincher Jr, Netflix) [View all] , benny, Sat Dec-05-20 12:26 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
That last sentence is *chef's kiss*
Dec 05th 2020
Collins was great, but Seyfried was the standout IMO
Dec 08th 2020
I'm mad he basically ended MindHunter for this
Dec 07th 2020
I loved Mank. It was funny!
Dec 18th 2020
Very standard biopic. Might be Fincher’s worst.
Dec 21st 2020

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #740001 Previous topic | Next topic