Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2904458

Subject: "agreed" Previous topic | Next topic
thebigfunk
Charter member
10471 posts
Wed Oct-08-14 06:18 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "agreed"
In response to In response to 2

Worth noting, too, that you can grab the bulk of her official material for relatively little money through some of the larger, cheap sets. I'm thinking esp. of the RCA "complete albums" set that was going for around 50 or 60 a year or two ago, which has all her albums for that label... the set has no liners, just reproductions of the original artwork, but the sound quality is good and imo still a steal if you're looking for hard copies. A similar (though less complete, I think) set exists for Philips (Four Women) for around 40. Wish there was one for her Colpix years, but I don't think there's anything as comprehensive available...

I fell deep in love with Nina when Meshell released her tribute album to her a few years back... I'd had a few lps of hers before, but never really dug into her like that. That RCA set is, imo, the best doc of her special genius --- it's got every side of her at her best, at one point or another. Nuff Said should be owned and studied by everyone, as both a unique historical doc (the bulk of it was recorded a few days after MLK was killed) and a musical masterpiece. The version of Sunday in Savannah on that album has some sort of holy ghost running through it, I swear.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Nina Simone who is touching this woman [View all] , boyd, Tue Oct-07-14 03:19 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
I want to get into her music
Oct 07th 2014
The most comprehensive is 'Anthology'
Oct 08th 2014

RE: agreed
Oct 08th 2014
      RE: agreed
Oct 09th 2014
      RE: The most comprehensive is 'Anthology'
Oct 08th 2014
Take her hype, multiply by it by about 3000