Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectagreed
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2904458&mesg_id=2904527
2904527, agreed
Posted by thebigfunk, Wed Oct-08-14 06:18 AM
Worth noting, too, that you can grab the bulk of her official material for relatively little money through some of the larger, cheap sets. I'm thinking esp. of the RCA "complete albums" set that was going for around 50 or 60 a year or two ago, which has all her albums for that label... the set has no liners, just reproductions of the original artwork, but the sound quality is good and imo still a steal if you're looking for hard copies. A similar (though less complete, I think) set exists for Philips (Four Women) for around 40. Wish there was one for her Colpix years, but I don't think there's anything as comprehensive available...

I fell deep in love with Nina when Meshell released her tribute album to her a few years back... I'd had a few lps of hers before, but never really dug into her like that. That RCA set is, imo, the best doc of her special genius --- it's got every side of her at her best, at one point or another. Nuff Said should be owned and studied by everyone, as both a unique historical doc (the bulk of it was recorded a few days after MLK was killed) and a musical masterpiece. The version of Sunday in Savannah on that album has some sort of holy ghost running through it, I swear.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~