Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2745956

Subject: "fantastic read" Previous topic | Next topic
Delajoo
Member since Jul 30th 2010
1331 posts
Fri Oct-05-12 04:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "fantastic read"
In response to In response to 0
Fri Oct-05-12 04:25 AM by Delajoo

I was at that Radio City show. It was the last thing I did in NY before I left back to Israel and I went alone, felt like I was going to see something not worth missing. And It didn't disappoint. And the whole time I kept wondering "do people really know them that well, are they THIS big?". The whole crowd was absolutely energized by the show, even though we were in our seats most of the time. Droste's is right on, theyre making pop music that just isn't popular, theyre making timeless songs IMO, that last past trends. But everytime I mentioned to anyone who I was seeing, even people who know what the fuck is up with music, most people just give me the same blank staring "who?".

I'll tell you it was more than worth the 40$ admission to go see it, and I would highly recommend them at any sized venue. This article really made me reflect on my place as a music listener, who pirates more than his fair share of music (a library growing every day eclipsing 25k just yesterday). But I feel like I supplement that slightly with buying about 20-25 albums a year, digital or physical (with more to come now that I started collecting vinyls). `but after reading that article, IDK, I'm torn. Maybe musicians don't necessarily deserve to make steady incomes, and have inflated salaries. But I think in cases like Grizzly Bear, where there music is at the peak of the genre in myne and many other people's music, I hope they can find an adequate revenue stream from this album to keep pushing towards the future. Thats where I stand, I just want my favorite artists to be able to keep making music.

-------------------
village.fm/okayplayer | @delajoo
"Whether you're a rock star or a garbage man, if you think about yourself all the time, you won't be very good at what you do." - Frusciante

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

NY Mag feature on Grizzly Bear & making a living making music [View all] , The DC Sniper, Fri Oct-05-12 02:41 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
cross-post
Oct 05th 2012
      to my last quote
Oct 05th 2012
           $40 is middle ground here
Oct 05th 2012
                i feel like thats an unfair way of looking at it
Oct 05th 2012
                     RE: i feel like thats an unfair way of looking at it
Oct 05th 2012
Oct 06th 2012
Oct 06th 2012
                               maybe you're right.
Oct 06th 2012
                                    RE: maybe you're right.
Oct 06th 2012
                                         effective today
Feb 25th 2013
                                              this shit is disgusting, imo
Feb 25th 2013
                                                   This is going to be a nightmare
Feb 26th 2013

Oct 16th 2012
nice read. i find it surprising that they're poor
Oct 05th 2012
Yea see I don't know that they really are
Oct 06th 2012
companion post
Feb 11th 2013

Lobby The Lesson topic #2745956 Previous topic | Next topic