Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2805312

Subject: "Motorsport 2024 - What's black, white, and red all over?" Previous topic | Next topic
upUPNorth
Member since Oct 12th 2005
1695 posts
Thu Feb-29-24 11:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Motorsport 2024 - What's black, white, and red all over?"

The joke might be a year early.

Do we talk about Dreamers here, or take it to the Lesson?

Figured I'd start this today, if only as a warning that Qualifying is tomorrow and the race is on Saturday for Bahrain this weekend, and I think the same next weekend. Drivers have apparently already voice concerned about a 24 race season schedule.

I will not get my hopes up over Practice sessions.

I know Daytona 500 happened, but I never turned it on. I think Superbike started, but Moto GP is next weekend.

Who watched Drive to Survive? Is Horner really okay?

---------------------
Obviously White

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
The Horner thing may be getting worse
Feb 29th 2024
I would imagine a lot of people really hate him.
Feb 29th 2024
no one has said what he's accused of exactly
Feb 29th 2024
      I don't think anyone at Red Bull will care unless they lose money
Feb 29th 2024
           if the leaked emIls were fake I'm assuming someone would've said
Mar 02nd 2024
2023, Part II.
Mar 02nd 2024
Yeah, looks like more of the same
Mar 02nd 2024
LoLPine
Mar 02nd 2024
Setting new standards for disappointment.
Mar 02nd 2024
Org changes already
Mar 04th 2024
they're so goddamn French
Mar 04th 2024
someone quickly school me on F1 dominance?
Mar 04th 2024
RE: someone quickly school me on F1 dominance?
Mar 04th 2024
whining about it is also a normal part of it
Mar 04th 2024
there is also a perception, which may or may not be true
Mar 04th 2024
      All of this, plus more accessibility
Mar 04th 2024
Kinda, but worse now from 30-40 years ago, due to technology and...
Mar 05th 2024
Made this chart during the race today.
Mar 09th 2024
when I heard ferrari already had him scheduled for six practice sessions
Mar 11th 2024
Anyone check out the Dan Wheldon doc on HBOMax?
Mar 18th 2024
the trailer put me way way off of it?
Mar 18th 2024
She let them race in Vegas
Mar 18th 2024
      jesus christ man
Mar 19th 2024
Don't have that, but probably watch it eventually.
Mar 18th 2024
Not sure I'll watch that. This is reminding me of Villeneuve-Pironi
Mar 20th 2024
      Whoa...didn't know that documentary had even been made.
Mar 20th 2024
Logan out
Mar 22nd 2024
Seems both completely unfair and the right thing to do.
Mar 22nd 2024
At least Max had a DNF, but man.....
Mar 25th 2024
RE: At least Max had a DNF, but man.....
Mar 25th 2024
RE: At least Max had a DNF, but man.....
Mar 25th 2024
MotoGP about to get bought.
Mar 27th 2024
I think that Aprilia satellite team already has the Trackhouse name this...
Mar 28th 2024
Not the best Suzuka, but decent, I guess.
Apr 08th 2024
yeah, Danny Ric makes me sad.
Apr 08th 2024
You can't help but pull for him, but...
Apr 08th 2024
you can't really defend danny but
Apr 09th 2024
      my Canadian baby qualifies badly on purpose
Apr 09th 2024
      his car is so much faster than theirs lol
Apr 09th 2024
           Not in a straight line at Suzuka with the wing they gave him
Apr 09th 2024
                he's the fucking worst
Apr 10th 2024
      No Stroll slander here. I caught that smoke last year....
Apr 09th 2024
           he's been in F1 for so many years
Apr 10th 2024
           I never said he doesn't suck.
Apr 10th 2024
                his australia drive last year was fine
Apr 11th 2024
God damn that Sainz on board from Vegas was crazy
Apr 11th 2024
The manhole cover?
Apr 16th 2024
      Yea, that shit was loud as fuck
Apr 17th 2024
Why are you not watching Moto GP? lol
Apr 15th 2024
Because I keep forgetting race times.
Apr 15th 2024
      The America race does throw me off.
Apr 16th 2024
Back in China this weekend, and the first Sprint of the season
Apr 19th 2024

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10981 posts
Thu Feb-29-24 01:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "The Horner thing may be getting worse"
In response to Reply # 0

Apparently a Google Drive was sent to everyone and their momma (press, team owners, media outlets, Liberty Media) containing the supposed evidence of Horner's wrongdoing. What's true and what's not will be up for debate, and rightfully so. Even if this turns out to be a total setup or smear campaign against Christian, I can't see how he stays as team principal at the moment. Best case he has to step aside for a while and let everything clear up. Worst case, he's toast.

And yeah, none of the lap times mean sh*t until Q3. Q1 will be the first real indicator where the cars and drivers are. Then people can start sniffing the hopeium that Max won't run away with the chip off the break

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

Buck
Member since Feb 15th 2005
16157 posts
Thu Feb-29-24 07:08 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I would imagine a lot of people really hate him."
In response to Reply # 1

So I'm sure he has enemies willing to do whatever it takes to harm him.

But the question is, if someone is trying to sabotage the team, would it be more effective to go after Newey?

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Thu Feb-29-24 07:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "no one has said what he's accused of exactly"
In response to Reply # 1

but I assume either it can't be proven totally or it's dickish but not illegal

so it's all just embarrassing but he doesn't gaf and max doesn't and his red bull bosses have shown they don't, so

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

spenzalii
10981 posts
Thu Feb-29-24 10:42 PM

4. "I don't think anyone at Red Bull will care unless they lose money"
In response to Reply # 3

Until sponsors start pulling out this will stay a PR nightmare, but not much else. Will that be enough to move Horner? I doubt it. Marko stay saying wild sh*t and he's still cooking.

We'll just add it to the pile of storylines for this season. I'm sure Netflix will be like a pig in slop when the next Drive To Survive comes out.

Let's just drop the flag on Saturday and get it on. Green, Green, Green, Go, Go GOOOOO!!!!!

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Sat Mar-02-24 02:26 PM

7. "if the leaked emIls were fake I'm assuming someone would've said"
In response to Reply # 4

what has been mentioned seems to confirm what I was already anticipating -- horner is a real bag of shit, there's not anything criminal and because they don't want to fire him there's not enough to fire him

Buck
16157 posts
Sat Mar-02-24 11:42 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "2023, Part II."
In response to Reply # 0

Maybe Ferrari or somebody catches up. Maybe a meteor wipes out the city of Milton Keynes. I believe the probability of either of those two events happening is about the same.

spenzalii
10981 posts
Sat Mar-02-24 12:01 PM

6. "Yeah, looks like more of the same"
In response to Reply # 5

Red Bull over everyone. Ferrari, Mercedes, and McLaren fighting for F1.5. Aston is still figuring it out, and everyone else is fighting for 11th place.

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66742 posts
Sat Mar-02-24 02:34 PM

8. "LoLPine "
In response to Reply # 0

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

Buck
16157 posts
Sat Mar-02-24 04:44 PM

9. "Setting new standards for disappointment."
In response to Reply # 8

Amazing that a mature factory team can be that crappy. Williams running cars out there on the loose change they found in James Vowles's sofa, Haas assembling a chassis with spare parts from Revell models, and the French still find a way to be worse.

I think the whole nation of France needs to start an online petition to bring Flavio back.

Ceej
66742 posts
Mon Mar-04-24 09:09 AM

10. "Org changes already "
In response to Reply # 9

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Mon Mar-04-24 05:50 PM

14. "they're so goddamn French"
In response to Reply # 8

PROMO
Charter member
30953 posts
Mon Mar-04-24 10:31 AM

11. "someone quickly school me on F1 dominance?"
In response to Reply # 0

the reason i ask is because it seems most people are bemoaning Red Bull's dominance the last few years (and it's looking to go that way again).

isn't this normal in F1? like, i'm fairly new to the sport but i am somewhat aware of the history, and isn't it typical that one team dominates for 3 or more years and then another team finally figures something out and it's their turn to dominate for a handful of years?

so is everyone just mad all the time (fans i mean) unless it's the team they like dominating?

upUPNorth
1695 posts
Mon Mar-04-24 04:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "RE: someone quickly school me on F1 dominance?"
In response to Reply # 11

There have definitely been periods of it. And fandom (not just Netflix but the popularity doesn't help) does make a lot of driver followings that like to seem to be mad at others. 2021 didn't help. I'll admit I've never liked Verstappen lol and didn't have a terrible problem with Mercedes period, but I think a lot of it also comes down to a sense of the FIA decisions that lead to it (conspiracy theories or not).

A lot of people like to think, after 2021, these new rules also were just hand made for RB lol. For better or worse, it also seemed like bad timing after one of the best seasons in years (regardless of how it ended) as the field usually tightens up later in a generation of rules. There were periods of dominance in the past, but the last two (ground floor rules, and the hybrid engines) do feel more tied to FIA decisions. Yes, they all knew what was coming and the people that got it right did what they needed to do, but they feel like they go more hand in hand.

I know some didn't like it, but I genuinely believe the Merc years were better than this. Was it 2016 Bahrain when Ros/Ham had that race? We're not getting anything like that now. And Ferrari's didn't fuck up until the second half of the season back then.

The four years of Vettel/RB before that were a lot more competitive than the titles make it seem. Even rooting for Hamilton then, I respected Vettel and that car, there was something about a downforce machine that was so good it didn't matter if the engine was slower that was admirable. And just, Hamilton/Button, Kimi/Lotus, Alonso/Ferrari, it feels even better in retrospect. The years between that and Schumacher were actually pretty good. Alonso beating him for two years with Renault arguably defined his success and respect for the rest of his career. There seemed to be some parity in between then too. I wasn't watching before then, but it felt like there were more rivalries back then, real ones, on track.

The racing is really more boring now, and I'd rather have more reasons to hate VER for wheel to wheel antics then whatever we have now lol.

It does kind of feel like the personalities are lacking. I think it's a combination of the 'new/Netflix' fans wanting their person to win, but also racing fans wanting better racing. Even just some kind of head to head at the front. This is just what comes to mind.

---------------------
Obviously White

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Mon Mar-04-24 05:49 PM

13. "whining about it is also a normal part of it"

the red bull thing is annoying because they really have all the bases covered

verstappen is a little shit, but he can fuckin drive, no one disputes that

checo is a perfect second driver in doing enough to secure the constructors while also not at all bothering max

they have pit stops dialed

their strategy is largely on point

their cars don't break down in bizarre ways

even peak dominant Mercedes would basically pretend to suck to help us all out

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Mon Mar-04-24 05:51 PM

15. "there is also a perception, which may or may not be true"
In response to Reply # 13

that they cheated on development the first year of the new specs, got a slap on the wrist, and have used that to dominate the era

but tbf ferrari and Mercedes have built some cars that were absolute dogshit

spenzalii
10981 posts
Mon Mar-04-24 07:00 PM

16. "All of this, plus more accessibility"
In response to Reply # 15

Like... when Schumacher was dominating you had to be in Europe to follow in real time if you were a fan. Red Bull's run in the early 2010s you could follow if you were internet savvy and has access to the Speed Channel in the states. I dare say Lewis and Petronas' run from 2014-2018 (ish) you still had to be tapped in and dedicated to know what was going on and to actually care. So there were still areas of dominance by one team or driver, but not enough people looking to care.

That being said, there was a lot more on track drama in, say 2016-2021 than one may think. '16 would have been Hamilton's, but a spate of unreliability and a few crappy starts had Lewis desperately trying to set Rosberg up for failure in the last race, as that was his only chance to get the driver's chip. '17 - '19 Ferrari and Vettel was legitimately in the hunt, though their reliability and 'cheater' engine (allegedly) ended up being their undoing. Meanwhile, Max was getting better as a driver and Red Bull were becoming a legit contender. So even though Lewis ended up with the wins, it wasn't exactly the cakewalk we have seen in recent years.

And yes, Red Bull absolutely nailed the new regulations, while everyone else looks like Keystone Cops with their race programs. Petronas was 20+ seconds ahead of the field in 2014 when the new regs came in (though there were a slew of reliability issues up and down the grid that didn't help). While I do believe comp has been better in the past, it just feels worse now because there's much more attention paid to the sport.

Rabid/toxic fanbases also have a lot to do with things, but I'm not going down that rabbit hole.

Buck
16157 posts
Tue Mar-05-24 06:01 PM

17. "Kinda, but worse now from 30-40 years ago, due to technology and..."

>isn't this normal in F1? like, i'm fairly new to the sport but
>i am somewhat aware of the history, and isn't it typical that
>one team dominates for 3 or more years and then another team
>finally figures something out and it's their turn to dominate
>for a handful of years?

...the increasingly high barriers to entry.

In the '50s and '60s, the rulebook was pretty wide open, and aerodynamics hadn't really been understood yet. What that meant was that it was really a series where you could innovate, try weird stuff that might or might not work. Much more of a mechanic's game, where real grease monkeys excelled. This also meant that driver skill likely played more of a part, and if you look at Fangio, as the best example: he won 5 championships in 6 years with 4 different constructors. Whatever car he got in, as long as it wasn't horrible, he could win.

It was also pretty cheap, in that era, because cars weren't much more than metal tubes with rudimentary suspensions and as big an engine as you could strap on while keep it somewhat drivable.

Once they figured out aero, in say the late'60s/early '70s, now you had to have an aerodynamicist of some kind, and you had to worry much more about bodywork and packaging. But still, thanks to the Cosworth DFV/DFW engines, any team could be competitive if they built a reasonable chassis around that engine, which was cheap and powerful and gave you an off-the-shelf motor that could match anything Ferrari or whoever had to offer.

As a consequence, no team won back-to-back chips in the whole 1970s. But turbos killed that off in the '80s, and the advent of accessible computer aided design and modeling jacked up the cost of doing business even more. And that's where new technologies (Williams's active suspension in '92-'93, for example) meant a whole new department, and a new layer of costs. So you start to see those 3-4 years periods you mention, like Prost/Senna era McLaren, Brawn/Schumacher Ferrari, and so on, where one team makes a significant leap, and everyone else struggles to make their own solutions.

So basically it used to be that if you could scrounge a little cash to buy some sheet metal and a decent motor, you could get into it. Now it's not whether you own your own wind tunnel, but whether the wind tunnel you own is as good everyone else's.

Anyway, TL/DR: it was anybody's championship until somewhere in the '80s.

Buck
16157 posts
Sat Mar-09-24 01:38 PM

18. "Made this chart during the race today."
In response to Reply # 0

https://pasteboard.co/RwRB1i0qVvHp.jpg

The lineage of each current F1 team, as in how Matra became Mercedes. Sort of interesting.

This Bearman kid can drive a car.

Haas look like they've figured something out, or at least how to not qualify 6th and finish 19th.

The RBR thing...I wanna watch the movie someday.

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Mon Mar-11-24 07:32 AM

19. "when I heard ferrari already had him scheduled for six practice sessions"
In response to Reply # 18

I was like ohhh

we just found out widely what they already knew, dude has something

Ceej
66742 posts
Mon Mar-18-24 12:58 PM

20. "Anyone check out the Dan Wheldon doc on HBOMax?"
In response to Reply # 0

Whew.

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Mon Mar-18-24 05:29 PM

21. "the trailer put me way way off of it?"
In response to Reply # 20

like man I don't want to see his kids trying to follow in the footsteps of the dad they never knew

Ceej
66742 posts
Mon Mar-18-24 07:20 PM

23. "She let them race in Vegas"
In response to Reply # 21

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Tue Mar-19-24 10:02 AM

24. "jesus christ man"
In response to Reply # 23

like I love motorsport even though I know there's a chance someone might die

I remember when JD McDuffie crashed, I saw that live on my TV.

but man everything about this feels icky

Buck
16157 posts
Mon Mar-18-24 05:41 PM

22. "Don't have that, but probably watch it eventually."

I stopped watching Indycar for years after that race.

upUPNorth
1695 posts
Wed Mar-20-24 04:12 PM

25. "Not sure I'll watch that. This is reminding me of Villeneuve-Pironi"

Not sure where that would be available in the States. The footage isn't even that thorough back then, but man, just seeing the 'result' felt scary.

---------------------
Obviously White

Buck
16157 posts
Wed Mar-20-24 05:42 PM

26. "Whoa...didn't know that documentary had even been made."
In response to Reply # 25

Wasn't sure what you were talking about until I just searched it.

Gilles crash...I made the mistake of watching the little available footage some years ago, and, yeah, I don't know what else I want to see about that.

It was actually Gilles's Canadian hero status who indirectly got me into F1 as a little kid. My dad took a new job when I was 10 or 11, and his new boss was a recent Canadian transplant with a son exactly my age, so we hung out quite a lot, and he was all Ferrari all the time, thanks to the national Gilles-worship. I didn't understand what he was on about, but I figured I should have a favorite driver too, so I picked Michele Alboreto, who had just started with Ferrari at the time, mostly because I thought he had a really cool name.

But yeah, I'll probably have to watch that doc at some point. Just...whooo....wrenching.

Ceej
66742 posts
Fri Mar-22-24 07:31 AM

27. "Logan out "
In response to Reply # 0

Buck
16157 posts
Fri Mar-22-24 07:46 PM

28. "Seems both completely unfair and the right thing to do."
In response to Reply # 27

spenzalii
10981 posts
Mon Mar-25-24 12:18 AM

29. "At least Max had a DNF, but man....."
In response to Reply # 0

It's not nice to cheer at someone's misfortune, but with Max out of the race the field was wide open for once in the last 2 years (or so it felt). But Melbourne demanded more mechanical sacrifices. So...

- Congrats to Carlos for a cracking drive and win. He's going to be sore all week, but having the win was likely worth it. It's been AGES since we've heard any other national anthems I forgot what his sounded like. Shame he doesn't have a seat next year (at least not yet). His speed hasn't been an issue. Part consistency, part Ferrari being Ferrari, part Italian reliability. He'll end up somewhere

- Sargent, Albon and Williams was a no win situation. Williams without a spare chassis sucks. But they have been on a shoestring budget for a while, and parts aren't cheap. One more headache Vowles doesn't need. Asking Logan to give up his car for Alex had to hurt his pride, but to be fair, Albon is the better driver. Would it have gone the other way? Nope. To top it off, Alex ended up just outside the points, so it was all for naught, ultimately. Yes, it gave them the best chance for that precious constructor point, but nobody feels good now

- Haas double points? Congrats.

- Yuki is driving his a$$ off. Danny is not. How long will Marko let that go on before Ricc is sacked or other changes are made, like:

- Perez. He's got one job, back up Max and get whatever points he leaves. But he hasn't exactly been lighting the track on fire even with that turbine powered rocket car. Supposedly he had damage yesterday, which may help to explain his lack of progress mid race after he passed Alonso. Still, Marko could call Yuki up and swap him and Perez by summer break if the results don't pan out this year. It's an admitted longshot, but given RB history, it could happen.

- Back to Danny for a bit. He has not returned to form ever since he left Red Bull. True, the Renault and McLaren cars he had weren't great or fit his late braking style, but having your teammate beat you out more often than not is never good. I understand coming home to... whatever the team formerly known as Alpha Tauri is comforting, if this seat doesn't work out he could be out of F1 a second time, and for good

- I'm not entirely sure Russell can handle big pressure. Another instance of crashing out while pushing to make the pass late race. Even though he can get along with Mercedes' woeful chassis better than Lewis, he doesn't have his elder statesman's race craft, and it shows. Although...

- Alonso likely pulled a crafty/dangerous move in that corner (depending on how much of a fan you are of Alonso or Russell) to net that 20 second penalty. Telemetry don't lie. I have to hand it to him for hoping on the radio to try and sell his story. I don't totally fault him for George's crash, but I can't say I'm mad at the penalty handed down either. Place drop doesn't matter, but the penalty points on his license do.

- If Lewis doesn't drive the wheel nuts off that Ferrari there will be hell to pay. I understand the drag the last 3 years have been for him, and not a soul alive would say Mercedes has given him a competitive car since the new regs hit. It's still early in the season and there are still upgrades and setup to be had on the car but.... I can't help but wonder if Hamilton hasn't checked out already. Naysayers may even suggest he's lost a step or two. While I won't go that far, I can only hope for better showing as the season goes on and that he can get on with his new team quickly. If not, the vultures will be circling. At least he didn't take a lawn chair to the circuit and watch the rest of the race

- Any race without Max is a good race. Sad it takes mechanical failure to take him out, but I'm sure the other teams, and maybe the sport at large, enjoyed that brief respite. He'll be back to total domination next race.

- This Horner thing isn't going away this season

upUPNorth
1695 posts
Mon Mar-25-24 10:12 AM

30. "RE: At least Max had a DNF, but man....."
In response to Reply # 29

Yeah, a Max DNF is a race improvement, though it didn't seem like as much of one as I expected. Was cool, maybe I wasn't fully focused, but wasn't really a fight at the front. Congrats to Carlos though, I always remember getting my appendix out in High School, could feel it hurt just walking for a couple weeks, but even when that fades trying to run hurt for a month. Hopefully you don't use your abs too much under G forces keeping your neck in place lol I always liked Carlos, I hope he gets a good gig. Do Mercedes swap him? Does Verstappen actually leave a seat for him back in the RB family? lol

I always had hope for a good Danny Ric coming back, and I think everyone would be happy with one, but even I can't imagine it being a thing now. Some of these young guys waiting definitely need a seat, they might not be personalities (which I do think F1 needs a bit more of as we lose characters), but they can drive.

I'm cool with both Alonso and Russell, but yeah, the actual telemetry that made the penalty decision was telling. He was def babbling a lot of defensive made up stuff (if you were doing quali lap after quali lap you wouldn't have done that, and you were definitely looking behind). I'm pretty sure he didn't care about his exit, he cared about messing with Russell's exit to compromise any speed down the back straight.

I gotta mention Moto GPs solid start! Really nice to see the rookie Acosta delivering so soon, already on the podium in the second race, I might be rooting for him the most now. Big Bagnaia/Marquez incident already, though oddly, I think that one is mostly on Bagnaia.

---------------------
Obviously White

Buck
16157 posts
Mon Mar-25-24 08:00 PM

31. "RE: At least Max had a DNF, but man....."
In response to Reply # 29

>call Yuki up and swap him and Perez by summer break if the
>results don't pan out this year. It's an admitted longshot,
>but given RB history, it could happen.

Yuki isn't ready. Time sheets maybe, but not mentally or emotionally.

>- Back to Danny for a bit.

He's done. Been done.

>- This Horner thing isn't going away this season

Hasn't it already?

Buck
16157 posts
Wed Mar-27-24 05:57 PM

32. "MotoGP about to get bought."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Mar-27-24 05:58 PM by Buck

Evidently Liberty Media buying it for $4 billion is all but a done deal. Which probably means a ton more Netflix-style media stuff and a big push to get more market share in the US. Which makes sense with the new TNT broadcast package.

Something else I just read...Trackhouse Racing (NASCAR) gonna field an Aprilia with Miguel Oliveira in 2025? That's an ambitious team, who are doing incredibly well with lesser resources, but it seems a strange move in the sense that there can't be much technical/engineering crossover there. Hendrick fooling with LeMans GT cars makes sense, and McLaren expanding to Indy (and Andretti trying to go the other way) is obvious, but stock cars and bikes...I assume it'll be a whole lot of Aprilia support, since it's going to be a satellite team, but it'll be interesting to see how that works out.

upUPNorth
1695 posts
Thu Mar-28-24 08:40 AM

33. "I think that Aprilia satellite team already has the Trackhouse name this..."
In response to Reply # 32

maybe just branding this year. The Only Fans team in Moto 2 might be the best branding lol

Not sure how I feel about Liberty Media lol. They've always wanted more American audience, I thought when Nicky Hayden won the Championship it would help, but they seemed to stop caring pretty quickly the next season. Don't fuck with our stewards and rules.

---------------------
Obviously White

Buck
16157 posts
Mon Apr-08-24 09:29 AM

34. "Not the best Suzuka, but decent, I guess."
In response to Reply # 0

Williams just can't catch a break. Burning through those chassis...they can't afford much more of that.

And I wish Ric would just retire and move to DTM or LeMans or something. I cannot think of a driver at the top of any discipline who clearly lost it and then actually got it back. Not talking about a guy who had a bit of a dip or lull at some point, but a guy who went way, way off the pace and then managed to find it again. Is there any example? Can't recall even one. You could maybe make a case for Lauda, but that 1979 Brabham was a bad car. At any rate, it's just kind of sad now, and possibly a little dangerous.

Also, I predict that Renault sells off the team within a couple of years.

PROMO
Charter member
30953 posts
Mon Apr-08-24 09:54 AM

35. "yeah, Danny Ric makes me sad."
In response to Reply # 34

the sample size this season is big enough that i'm curious what the teams are thinking about him.

there was all this talk that he'd come back to Red Bull to be the #2.

i know Red Bull loves Daniel, but i'm guessing that door has closed, or is close to it?

Buck
16157 posts
Mon Apr-08-24 07:58 PM

36. "You can't help but pull for him, but..."
In response to Reply # 35

...in the case that Checo (or Max) leaves, do you hire Ricciardo over Sainz? Over Liam Lawson? Over Yuki? Over Albon? If you could get Bearman, over him?

I might take Ric over Sargeant, but I can't think who else.

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Tue Apr-09-24 03:16 AM

37. "you can't really defend danny but"
In response to Reply # 34

BUT

the crash is lance stroll's fault

why? because lance stroll exists. if he weren't in F1, the aston would've been further up the grid and the crash wouldn't have happened.

it is danny's fault, yes, BUT

alex has a weird habit of being on the outside of drivers and assuming they won't hit him when if you think about it for like half of a second you can see he shouldn't be there. it's not his fault, he had a claim, but he shouldn't have put his car on the outside there

and I think we can all agree, if you're daniel ricciardo

and you look to your left and see dumbass lance coming up on the inside, you'd try ot get as far away from that mf as you possibly could

which is why it's lance's fault (even if it's clearly danny's fault)

upUPNorth
1695 posts
Tue Apr-09-24 09:08 AM

38. "my Canadian baby qualifies badly on purpose"
In response to Reply # 37

so he can impressively pass lots of cars at the start

(he does seem to do that often)

---------------------
Obviously White

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Tue Apr-09-24 01:54 PM

39. "his car is so much faster than theirs lol "
In response to Reply # 38

upUPNorth
1695 posts
Tue Apr-09-24 03:54 PM

41. "Not in a straight line at Suzuka with the wing they gave him"
In response to Reply # 39

didn't you hear that radio message! lol

He really has had a habit of making good starts in the past though. He definitely shouldn't be around any more. One of the young guys needs to get the kind of chance he got he got his seat, which was not explicit nepotism. I really never realized these French Canadians had F1 team support money back then.

---------------------
Obviously White

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Wed Apr-10-24 10:26 AM

42. "he's the fucking worst"
In response to Reply # 41

if you have F1 TV watch the onboard from hulkenberg's camera of th next to last lap (hulk passes stroll at the beginning of the last lap before that bitch ass message)

it's not the straights he's catching him on! stroll fuckin sucks

spenzalii
10981 posts
Tue Apr-09-24 03:20 PM

40. "No Stroll slander here. I caught that smoke last year...."
In response to Reply # 37

I kid. Stroll had nothing to do with this race. And for the record I'm not and never have been mad at Lance. He has a F1 seat, and plenty other drivers would love to have, but don't.

That said....

My stance on Stroll is set in stone and nothing has changed. I have no axe to grind against Lance, and he can outdrive me on a bad Sunday afternoon. But nepotism is a thing, and if it weren't for that, Lance wouldn't have a seat. But it is a thing, and he has a seat, so huzzah

Let's get to 2026 and see what happens. I'll watch the next few years, because I do love F1 and the tech and the drivers, even if my favorite driver doesn't have a shot

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Wed Apr-10-24 10:28 AM

43. " he's been in F1 for so many years"
In response to Reply # 40

without being good at all, and is in a decent car and can't do shit with it

latifi at least had the manners to drive a dogshit williams at the back

I am dooooone with this dude

Buck
16157 posts
Wed Apr-10-24 05:42 PM

44. "I never said he doesn't suck."
In response to Reply # 40

In fact I actually think he's gotten worse over the last two seasons.

I said he saved a team, more or less.

But the question is, will his father fire him? How does that go down? Clearly he has to go, but...

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Thu Apr-11-24 02:25 PM

46. "his australia drive last year was fine"
In response to Reply # 44

but like how many of those does he have, and he's been in F1 for SO LONG now, and in a car that doesn't suck

Ceej
66742 posts
Thu Apr-11-24 09:28 AM

45. "God damn that Sainz on board from Vegas was crazy"
In response to Reply # 0

Buck
16157 posts
Tue Apr-16-24 07:33 PM

50. "The manhole cover?"
In response to Reply # 45

Ceej
66742 posts
Wed Apr-17-24 05:04 AM

51. "Yea, that shit was loud as fuck"
In response to Reply # 50

I didn’t see it before.

upUPNorth
1695 posts
Mon Apr-15-24 10:09 AM

47. "Why are you not watching Moto GP? lol"
In response to Reply # 0

If Liberty Media really buys the rights to it, I hope they just promote it by advertising that it is better than F1 during F1

The COTA race was great. They made Vinales work for it with his terrible start from pole pushing him back to 11th, but his pace this weekend was unbeatable. I was kind of hoping his comeback would stop at 2nd, Acosta was close to winning already as a rookie, would have taken the youngest Winner record away from Marquez. He still has a while to do it I think. His race at the front holding off the Ducati's was still stellar.

---------------------
Obviously White

Buck
16157 posts
Mon Apr-15-24 03:39 PM

48. "Because I keep forgetting race times."
In response to Reply # 47

But yes, I do feel ashamed.

upUPNorth
1695 posts
Tue Apr-16-24 01:06 PM

49. "The America race does throw me off."
In response to Reply # 48

especially since they don't come out this way often (only once this year without Argentina) Like what do you mean the Sprint is at 4 PM??
I get all their Instagram notifications though. and I still use their videopass so I can watch later if I don't live

---------------------
Obviously White

upUPNorth
1695 posts
Fri Apr-19-24 05:58 PM

52. "Back in China this weekend, and the first Sprint of the season"
In response to Reply # 0

so the schedule is weird. Sprint Quali was last night, and the weather made it interesting apparently. I copmletely missed it. Sprint is at 11 tonight, which isn't terrible, but Quali is at 3 Am and the Race is 3 AM on Sunday. Set your PVRs.

Hoping China is cool for a race. Not sure in the dry, if even the RBs are behind, that back straight with DRS will just be boring for them. Apparently there's low grip which can help the race.

---------------------
Obviously White

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2805312 Previous topic | Next topic