Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2802393

Subject: "The BOXING Post - 1st quarter of 2024 " Previous topic | Next topic
Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14153 posts
Tue Jan-02-24 04:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The BOXING Post - 1st quarter of 2024 "

Inoue ends 2023 as p4p #1 after becoming champion in a 4th weight class and now undisputed in 2. Bud was the 1st male to be undisputed in 2 divisions, but has only been a champ in 3. Inoue's divisional rise = 14 lbs, while Bud's = 12... and that's at smaller weight classes for Inoue. Bud is my favorite fighter, but I gotta give the #1 spot to Inoue now.

Wilder ends the year getting outclassed by Joseph Parker after a year of inactivity. AJ looked really good on the same card. This is an AJ that I'd like to see more of.

We have some goood fights coming up. Beterbiev vs Smith & Mayer vs Jonas are in January. Beterbiev and Bivol should be next, provided Beterbiev is successful, which most assume he will be. Will his unblemished KO streak continue?

Canelo seems to be under pressure to face David Benavidez. Let's hope that fight happens. David Morrell, however, is a dark horse at 168. Benavidez SEEMS to be avoiding him, but I would like to see Benavidez get his Canelo shot and then face Morrell, because that shot is overdue. Plus Morrell might beat him lol.

Bivol claims he wants to fight Opetaia. I think that's biting off more than he can chew just like Canelo did against him.

So much more going on, but I won't hog the floor.

What are yall paying attention to at the moment?

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Anthony Joshua vs Francis Ngannou confirmed.
Jan 06th 2024
I hope the Wilder vs. Zhang rumors aren't true
Jan 07th 2024
I have similar sentiments. Terrible fight for Wilder.
Jan 08th 2024
Kickoff Press Conference (link)
Jan 15th 2024
Beterbiev is such a beast. The Bivol fight is finally next!
Jan 14th 2024
I'm going to be so pissed if this fight is in Saudi Arabia
Jan 16th 2024
      Prepare to be pissed lol.
Jan 16th 2024
           god dammit , Id be ok w Dubai or even Abu Dhabi
Jan 16th 2024
                The interview was interesting nevertheless
Jan 18th 2024
Mikaela Mayer gets robbed (again) in the UK vs Natasha Jonas
Jan 20th 2024
Ryan Garcia says NYSAC requested mental health evaluation
Mar 17th 2024
ayo Ryan beat Haney's ass that was saaaaad
Apr 21st 2024
I didn’t even watch. I was sure Ryan and his career were toast
Apr 21st 2024
Devin's amateur boxing style caught up to him.
Apr 21st 2024
overweight and steroids is sadder
May 02nd 2024
Bivol vs Beterbiev postponed. Beterbiev injured AGAIN!
May 05th 2024
That really sucks, looks like age is catching up to him
May 05th 2024
I fear Beterbiev vs. Bivol is cooked unfortunately*
May 06th 2024
Munguia looked good for a round
May 06th 2024

Boogie Stimuli
14153 posts
Sat Jan-06-24 08:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Anthony Joshua vs Francis Ngannou confirmed."
In response to Reply # 0

Press conference coming later this month.

~
~
~
~
~

snacks
Member since Sep 15th 2005
5824 posts
Sun Jan-07-24 09:35 PM

2. "I hope the Wilder vs. Zhang rumors aren't true"
In response to Reply # 1

For Wilder's sake ... he'd be a dead man

The Brand Pod
https://www.youtube.com/@themonarchbrand
https://www.themonarchbrand.com/

The Life Pod
https://www.youtube.com/@thewaterpodcast
https://redcircle.com/shows/the-water-podcast

Boogie Stimuli
14153 posts
Mon Jan-08-24 10:18 PM

3. "I have similar sentiments. Terrible fight for Wilder."
In response to Reply # 2

Hell he almost got stopped by Ortiz in the 1st fight. A taller southpaw who's on a roll would beat the breaks off this tentative Wilder we saw against Joseph Parker.

~
~
~
~
~

Boogie Stimuli
14153 posts
Mon Jan-15-24 05:28 PM

5. "Kickoff Press Conference (link)"
In response to Reply # 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oES2Ke6bi80

~
~
~
~
~

Boogie Stimuli
14153 posts
Sun Jan-14-24 11:38 AM

4. "Beterbiev is such a beast. The Bivol fight is finally next!"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Jan-14-24 11:44 AM by Boogie Stimuli

Callum Smith had never been down. Even Canelo just punched on his arms until he detached his bicep for 12 rds. Callum is tough, but they say Beterbiev's punches feel like a sledgehammer and ended up dropped Smith twice. Crazy thing is he doesn't even load up. Routine punches break mf's all the way down. He's now 20 - 0 with 20 KO's, having won all 3 of titles and KO'd 2 champions by KO. I gotta say he's the most devastating puncher in boxing.
This fight with Bivol is going to be very interesting.

The up and coming Christian Mbilli fought on the undercard. Very excited yet flawed fighter likes to fight up close without letting opponents breathe. He ate a lot of jabs from Murdock but eventually Murdock's corner stopped the fight after 6 rds.

~
~
~
~
~

guru0509
Charter member
45462 posts
Tue Jan-16-24 09:33 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "I'm going to be so pissed if this fight is in Saudi Arabia"
In response to Reply # 4

>Callum Smith had never been down. Even Canelo just punched on
>his arms until he detached his bicep for 12 rds. Callum is
>tough, but they say Beterbiev's punches feel like a
>sledgehammer and ended up dropped Smith twice. Crazy thing is
>he doesn't even load up. Routine punches break mf's all the
>way down. He's now 20 - 0 with 20 KO's, having won all 3 of
>titles and KO'd 2 champions by KO. I gotta say he's the most
>devastating puncher in boxing.
>This fight with Bivol is going to be very interesting.

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

Boogie Stimuli
14153 posts
Tue Jan-16-24 10:03 AM

7. "Prepare to be pissed lol."
In response to Reply # 6

His excellency, Turki Alalshikh, has expressed great interest in making the fight, and that's the only place its been discussed to happen. Even Bob Arum said he expects him to stage in there in Summer after Ramadan. Eddie Hearn is all about business with the Saudis.

I honestly don't care where it happens. I'm just ready to see it. My current most anticipated fight in boxing.

~
~
~
~
~

guru0509
Charter member
45462 posts
Tue Jan-16-24 10:16 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "god dammit , Id be ok w Dubai or even Abu Dhabi "
In response to Reply # 7

I have family in both cities so it would have been a perfect excuse to visit them

But Saudi ? 🗑️ 🗑️ 🗑️

>His excellency, Turki Alalshikh, has expressed great interest
>in making the fight, and that's the only place its been
>discussed to happen. Even Bob Arum said he expects him to
>stage in there in Summer after Ramadan. Eddie Hearn is all
>about business with the Saudis.
>
>I honestly don't care where it happens. I'm just ready to see
>it. My current most anticipated fight in boxing.

-------------------

Boogie Stimuli
14153 posts
Thu Jan-18-24 08:38 AM

9. "The interview was interesting nevertheless"
In response to Reply # 8

He talks about Beterbiev vs Bivol at the 10:20 mark. Should go there automatically:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVBFxDQq214#t=10m20s&ab_channel=DAZNBoxing

~
~
~
~
~

Boogie Stimuli
14153 posts
Sat Jan-20-24 09:01 PM

10. "Mikaela Mayer gets robbed (again) in the UK vs Natasha Jonas"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Jan-20-24 09:02 PM by Boogie Stimuli

Many feel Mayer was robbed vs Baumgardner. I actually thought that was very even fight, and could've gone either way. Mayer beat Jonas tho. I gave Jonas 3 rds at most. Jonas clinched in multiples rounds in danger of being dropped. Mayer was never in such trouble. Mayer pushed the action AND landed the cleaner, more telling shots. There was really no metric by which Jonas won the fight.
But... one of my betting friends asked me for the right bet. I told him I had Mayer winning, technically, but she couldn't even win a close decision in the UK vs another American, so Jonas was probably the safe bet. *shrugs*

~
~
~
~
~

guru0509
Charter member
45462 posts
Sun Mar-17-24 09:16 AM

11. "Ryan Garcia says NYSAC requested mental health evaluation"
In response to Reply # 0

Lol Can you blame them? He has been going off the rails recently...If this fight goes through, Devin haney is going to whoop his ass from opening bell to closing

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/39747216/ryan-garcia-says-nysac-requested-mental-health-evaluation

Star boxer Ryan Garcia said Friday that the New York State Athletic Commission wants him to undergo a mental health evaluation ahead of his April 20 WBC junior welterweight title fight against Devin Haney in Brooklyn.

In a since-deleted video posted to social media, Garcia (25-1, 20 KOs) said the commission informed him the evaluation request surrounded his posts on social media.

"Is it not my U.S. constitutional right to have free speech?" Garcia said in the video. "So because I'm tweeting what I'm tweeting, that's premises for a mental evaluation? That's curious."

Garcia has made a litany of eyebrow-raising social media posts over the past few weeks, ranging from conspiracy theories to claims he has evidence of the existence of extraterrestrials.

EDITOR'S PICKS

Haney and Garcia have a shared past -- and are about to determine their future
24dMike Coppinger

Boxing pound-for-pound rankings: Which fighter made a bigger impact? Teofimo or Beterbiev?
32d

Divisional rankings: Joshua solidifies spot at heavyweight; Madrimov shakes things up at 154
4dESPN.com
Matthew Delaglio, director of boxing for the commission, declined to comment.

"As is the case with all Golden Boy fights, we are in close contact with the commission and sanctioning bodies and will of course follow any and all rules and regulations to ensure our fighters are ready on fight night," Golden Boy Promotions spokesman Stefan Friedman told ESPN.

Hall of Fame boxer Oscar De La Hoya, the founder of Golden Boy and Garcia's promoter, addressed Garcia's status during DAZN's broadcast of the William Zepeda-Maxi Hughes fight on Saturday night.

"Ryan Garcia, I just talked to him. He's in great spirits," De La Hoya said. "He's working his ass off in the gym. Don't mind the posts -- that takes like five, 10 seconds of his time. He's working hard every single minute of the day."

WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman said Friday that he is "in direct talks with the New York commission" regarding Garcia.

Garcia suffered his first professional defeat last April when he was stopped in Round 7 by Gervonta Davis. The superfight produced more than 1 million pay-per-view buys, a rare feat for a boxing event.

Garcia rebounded with an eighth-round knockout victory over Oscar Duarte in December. The fight was Garcia's first with trainer Derrick James. Garcia has been conducting training camp with James in Dallas ahead of the 140-pound title challenge of Haney.

Haney (31-0, 15 KOs), 25, is ESPN's No. 1 junior welterweight and No. 6 pound-for-pound boxer. He won the WBC title in December with a shutout decision win over Regis Prograis.

Garcia is ESPN's No. 8 boxer at 140 pounds. He has more than 10 million Instagram followers and is aiming for his first world title against Haney.

In the summer of 2021, Garcia withdrew from a bout with Javier Fortuna to "manage my health and well-being."

-------------------

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85194 posts
Sun Apr-21-24 12:12 AM

12. "ayo Ryan beat Haney's ass that was saaaaad"
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43368 posts
Sun Apr-21-24 05:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "I didn’t even watch. I was sure Ryan and his career were toast"
In response to Reply # 12

Welp

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28903 posts
Sun Apr-21-24 02:30 PM

14. "Devin's amateur boxing style caught up to him."

His style is amateur in the sense he aims to win on points. Nothing is wrong with that until you have to adapt during a fight.

Devin was confused by Ryan's jab. It's more of a flicker to prepare for the left hook. All Devin had to do was take away the left hook. Ryan telegraphs his punches and keeps his chin up during fights.

^^ All of this is why most people thought Devin would win. We didn't know Devin couldn't take away the left hook. Take away what makes your opponent great and force him to adjust same way Bud did to Errol.

Bill gave Devin solid advice but ultimately kept getting dropped and lost. If he loses the rematch train with Kronk school or Bomac's team.

No empathy for white misery (c) BDot

"root for everybody black haters say that's crazy, wow..."

guru0509
Charter member
45462 posts
Thu May-02-24 01:54 PM

15. "overweight and steroids is sadder "

>
💉💉💉💉💉💉💉💉💉💉

-------------------

Boogie Stimuli
14153 posts
Sun May-05-24 08:30 AM

16. "Bivol vs Beterbiev postponed. Beterbiev injured AGAIN!"
In response to Reply # 0

Torn meniscus this time. He'll have knee surgery, but the fight card with continue. It's a 5 vs 5 Matchroom vs Queensbury super card that includes Deontay Wilder vs Zhilei Zhang (the man who stopped Joe Joyce twice). Daniel Dubois vs Filip Hrgovic, Raymond Ford vs Nick Ball, Austin Williams vs Hamzah Sheeraz, and Craig Richards vs Willy Hutchinson.
All of these are superb matchups, so it's still a great card.
This happens June 1st.

We still have Fury vs Usyk on May 18th as well.

Then the card of the century when Terence Crawford faces Israil Madrimov August 3rd for a title in a 4th division.

The Saudis have come in and made all these promotional companies and sanctioning bodies looks terrible.

~
~
~
~
~

guru0509
Charter member
45462 posts
Sun May-05-24 02:17 PM

17. "That really sucks, looks like age is catching up to him"
In response to Reply # 16

Glad hes able to get one last big payday and a shot at undisputed with all this.

Canelo looked average last night, but something tells me he'd still beat Benavidez lol

>Torn meniscus this time. He'll have knee surgery, but the
>fight card with continue. It's a 5 vs 5 Matchroom vs
>Queensbury super card that includes Deontay Wilder vs Zhilei
>Zhang (the man who stopped Joe Joyce twice). Daniel Dubois vs
>Filip Hrgovic, Raymond Ford vs Nick Ball, Austin Williams vs
>Hamzah Sheeraz, and Craig Richards vs Willy Hutchinson.
>All of these are superb matchups, so it's still a great card.
>This happens June 1st.
>
>We still have Fury vs Usyk on May 18th as well.
>
>Then the card of the century when Terence Crawford faces
>Israil Madrimov August 3rd for a title in a 4th division.
>
>The Saudis have come in and made all these promotional
>companies and sanctioning bodies looks terrible.

-------------------

snacks
Member since Sep 15th 2005
5824 posts
Mon May-06-24 11:14 AM

18. "I fear Beterbiev vs. Bivol is cooked unfortunately*"
In response to Reply # 16

*as a matchup at the highest level possible

Of course, this depends on the magnitude of the meniscus repair. When I had mine done, I was fortunate in that they only had to snip a small amount off, so I only had to rehab the ACL instead of both. A rupture will take longer, and I'm not sure if he'll even be 100% by the end of the year. He turns 40 next January, so idk man. I hope he's still in the mix, but I wouldn't be surprised if Bivol ends up fighting Morrell (assuming both wins) and the winner fights Benavidez (assuming he wins). Of course I hope Beterbiev still fits in that mix, but we'll see

The Brand Pod
https://www.youtube.com/@themonarchbrand
https://www.themonarchbrand.com/

The Life Pod
https://www.youtube.com/@thewaterpodcast
https://redcircle.com/shows/the-water-podcast

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66768 posts
Mon May-06-24 01:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "Munguia looked good for a round"
In response to Reply # 0

Then fuck did Canelo go Canelo.

That uppercut was beautiful.

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2802393 Previous topic | Next topic