Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2793887

Subject: "Friday Fun Post...Love & Hate in Sports" Previous topic | Next topic
Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22341 posts
Fri Jun-16-23 10:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Friday Fun Post...Love & Hate in Sports"

The little lady's grandmother passed away recently. She grew up in Michigan, outside of Detroit and then moved & settled in NW Ohio where she raised her family. She was a hardcore sports fan, for the Tigers, Lions, Pistons & Wolverines.

All the grandkids decided to put a picture of them in the casket with her. The lady pulled a handful of pics of us and asked me to go thru them with her. She wanted to pick a good one.

We had a couple of us dressed up at weddings and stuff. But one of he best ones was us at a football watch party. She had on a Michigan t-shirt and I had on an Ohio State t-shirt. It's just a good pic of both of us and she agreed.

But then she had second thoughts.

"I don't think I want my grandmother to spend eternity with any Ohio State gear that close to her."

That's a level of hate that I wasn't ready for.

For the love portion...I'm thinking about sports tributes. When the MLB retired Jackie Robinson's number on every team, I thought that was a dope move.

The lady's brother-in-law taught at a small high school for 25+ years. At various times, he coached basketball, volleyball and even served as the schools AD. In the gym, when he would watch games, he would never sit in the bleachers with everyone else. He had a spot near the corner of the baseline and sideline where he would watch. You could go over and talk to him about the game. But he never sat in the bleachers to watch.

He passed away unexpectedly a while back. The school got a pair of his shoes and traced his footprints in that spot where he always stood. And they etched his name on the floor. I thought that was a perfect tribute to him.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Love - Both of my brothers a die hard Steeler fans
Jun 16th 2023
This is exactly what I'm talking about...
Jun 16th 2023
I've mentioned this before...
Jun 16th 2023
I generally hate all Boston sports teams…
Jun 16th 2023
RE: I generally hate all Boston sports teams…
Jun 16th 2023
Co-sign on the Boston hate...
Jun 23rd 2023
I've let go of active fandom in a few sports, but not the hating
Jun 16th 2023
I hate all things Boston
Jun 19th 2023
I hate Duke too
Jun 23rd 2023
RE: I hate all things Boston
Jun 23rd 2023
Best thing about Boston is its close to the ocean
Jun 23rd 2023
      lol
Jun 23rd 2023

MaxPtah
Member since Mar 06th 2007
5844 posts
Fri Jun-16-23 11:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Love - Both of my brothers a die hard Steeler fans"
In response to Reply # 0

and one's best friend was a Cowboy fan and the other a Washington fan. Both passed away and at both of their respective funerals they both wore jerseys of their best friends' teams. That has been the only time either one of them wore any other football jersey other than any Steeler ones.

Hate- The pee-wee football team I played for as a kid were called the Cowboys. Neither one of my brothers talked to me on gamedays because of the uniform. And when I quit playing they wanted to personally throw away the helmet themselves, lol.

----------------------------------
www.maxptah.com
"you gotta be real white to hate on a nxgga for eating." (c) okp infin8

Marbles
22341 posts
Fri Jun-16-23 12:04 PM

2. "This is exactly what I'm talking about..."
In response to Reply # 1

That extreme hate for Dallas and Washington. But enough love for their boys to rock the jersey at their funerals. And LOL at them not talking to you on game days. That cracked me up.

Sports make people do some stupid things that make absolute sense to us who follow.

Dstl1
Charter member
56295 posts
Fri Jun-16-23 04:51 PM

3. "I've mentioned this before..."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jun-16-23 04:58 PM by Dstl1

that while there are teams I don't necessarily care for...there is only ONE sports franchise that I hate with my entire mind, body, and soul...the fucking New York Giants. FUCK THEM!

On the love tip...both my grandparents were die-hard St. Louis Cardinals fans. When they won the WS in '82, we all went downtown to the parade. My grandparents were SO happy. We got one of these pennant flags they were giving out that had all the players names on them. Names like...Ozzie, Keith Hernandez, Joaquin Andujar, Lonnie Smith, Bruce Sutter, Tito Landrum, Bob Forsch...that I can think of off-top. My grandfather put it on the wall in the TV room. It stayed there from 1982, til 1997. My grandmother passed away from cancer and my grandfather couldn't bear to be there because of all the memories. He sold the house and moved to South Carolina to live with my mother. Before the people came in to clear the house out, my big sis got that pennant. She still has it. Every now and then out of the blue she'll text me a pic of it and we'll both laugh...and cry.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri Jun-16-23 05:19 PM

4. "I generally hate all Boston sports teams…"
In response to Reply # 0

Red Sox, Celtics, Patriots, Bruins.

St Louis and Boston are the only 2 cities to meet in the championship of all 4 major sports.

Before they moved to ATL the STL Hawks played the Celtics multiple times in the ‘60’s (beating them once)

Plus of course I grew up a Laker fan the natural rival to the Celtics.

On the “love” side players that I am fond of or have attachment to have won titles with Boston teams.

Bryan Cox is from my hometown and got a ring with the Patriots against the Rams.

KG is probably my favorite non-Laker ever and he got a ring with the Celtics.

Current Celtic Jayson Taytum is a local kid that watched grow up and I know some of his family members pretty well.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri Jun-16-23 05:33 PM

5. "RE: I generally hate all Boston sports teams…"
In response to Reply # 4

Also people talk about the Red Sox historic playoff comeback against the Yankees after being down 3-0 but they went on to sweep the Cardinals in the WS that year. I think the Yankees and Cardinals had the best records in the AL/NL and Boston went 8-0 against the 2 best teams in baseball that year.

And although I’m not a huge hockey fan it was sweet to see the Blues beat the Bruins for the Stanley Cup a few years ago and I think the last time the Blues were in the Stanley Cup they lost to Boston like 40-50 years ago

Marbles
22341 posts
Fri Jun-23-23 03:48 PM

9. "Co-sign on the Boston hate..."
In response to Reply # 4

Altho I gotta admit that Tatum and Co. are nice. It's hard for me to pull for the Celtics even though I like these cats.

But I got nothing for the So, Pats & Bruins.

khn
Member since Jan 20th 2015
705 posts
Fri Jun-16-23 06:48 PM

6. "I've let go of active fandom in a few sports, but not the hating"
In response to Reply # 0

Basically I really only have time to be a real fan of pro hoops, pro football, and my futbol interests these days. And I barely have time for that.

It's been a looooooong time since I really cared about the Rockies or MLB. I stopped fucking with baseball about 15 years ago. But seeing the Dodgers win and seeing how they've basically become West Coast Yankees irritates me very much. I don't even know if that's true or if they're our biggest rival anymore. But when they succeed, I'm unhappy.

I loved playing hockey and can still absolutely enjoy a game, but I bounced after the 2nd lockout and I haven't missed it enough to pick it back up in earnest (though I gleefully hopped on the Avs bandwagon last year, for sure). Still - fuck the Devils, the Stars, the Wild and *especially* the Red Wings. Forever.

I grew up in a CU household (Dad attended but didn't graduate) and went to Boulder my freshman year. Wasn't for me. Couldn't root for CU after that (you might think it's because I transferred to CSU, but nah, I just largely dropped college sports altogether). But I still find myself innately wishing ill on the other teams that were in the Big 12 at the time (like, oh, OU is in the playoff - fuck 'em, I hope they get destroyed). And I still viscerally hate Nebraska and Notre Dame. I truly wish the worst on both of those bitch ass programs in perpetuity.

I could give several examples for individual players but there's just not enough time in the day lol.

Zooming out... it's very strange to me that I don't give a shit about the teams I used to root for (at least not nearly as much), nor the happenings of the leagues they're in... but the hate for the rivals is still there. Learned behavior? I guess I can't help how I feel? IDK.

But I'm also not mad it, either.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
80383 posts
Mon Jun-19-23 05:56 PM

7. "I hate all things Boston"
In response to Reply # 0

I hate Duke Basketball

I hate Notre Dame Football

I hate Ohio State Football

I LOVE watching these teams play simply to root against them.

I also love shit talking with fans of Baltimore, Cleveland and Cincinnati. I actually don’t hate these teams. I root for them in the playoffs because they play a brand of football I respect. But I also enjoy when they lose.

I almost have sympathy for Cleveland fans but then again, fuck em.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri Jun-23-23 12:29 PM

8. "I hate Duke too "
In response to Reply # 7

>I hate Duke Basketball
>
>I hate Notre Dame Football
>
>I hate Ohio State Football
>
>I LOVE watching these teams play simply to root against them.
>
>
>I also love shit talking with fans of Baltimore, Cleveland and
>Cincinnati. I actually don’t hate these teams. I root for
>them in the playoffs because they play a brand of football I
>respect. But I also enjoy when they lose.
>
>I almost have sympathy for Cleveland fans but then again, fuck
>em.

Marbles
22341 posts
Fri Jun-23-23 03:51 PM

10. "RE: I hate all things Boston"
In response to Reply # 7

>I hate Duke Basketball
>
>I hate Notre Dame Football
>
>I hate Ohio State Football
>
>I LOVE watching these teams play simply to root against them.

I'm with you on these except for the Ohio St slander. In fact, it's hard for me to root for Notre Dame in ANY sport.

>I also love shit talking with fans of Baltimore, Cleveland and
>Cincinnati.

I tend to clown the whole AFC North. I wouldn't say I hate them (like I hate the NFC East) but I kinda enjoy watching them struggle.

>I almost have sympathy for Cleveland fans but then again, fuck
>em.

LMAO! Man, I enjoy roasting my people from Cleveland about sports. They just consistently and constantly take Ls. But I give them respect for loyalty because they come back every season.

Castro
Charter member
50761 posts
Fri Jun-23-23 03:57 PM

11. "Best thing about Boston is its close to the ocean"
In response to Reply # 7

so Godzilla can swim there first.

------------------
One Hundred.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri Jun-23-23 06:56 PM

12. "lol"
In response to Reply # 11

>so Godzilla can swim there first.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2793887 Previous topic | Next topic