Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2791863

Subject: "Carmelo Anthony has officially retired. " Previous topic | Next topic
allStah
Member since Jun 21st 2014
9816 posts
Mon May-22-23 08:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Carmelo Anthony has officially retired. "

We commend you for having a great, prolific career, and being one of the
greatest players to ever play the game. Also, you are arguably the greatest
college freshmen to ever play, and arguably the greatest Olympic basketball
player to ever play ( but that goes to Jordan!).

We salute you.

ALL HAIL THE KING of LOSING: LEBRON
Bulls | Bears | White Sox | Yankees | Notre Dame | Illinois | Chelsea | Real Madrid

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Salute to one of the best scorers/tough shot makers of all times....
May 22nd 2023
Triple threat, shot fake, jab step, swish.
May 22nd 2023
He could cook you without a single dribble
May 22nd 2023
hall of fame career, obviously.
May 22nd 2023
Salute
May 22nd 2023
NYC * legend , wish Amare was healthy when he got here
May 22nd 2023
Salute. Provided some of my fondest memories of Nuggets fandom
May 22nd 2023
You mean top 4-5 right.
May 22nd 2023
Eh, I'm not gonna go to war over Melo vs. Skywalker
May 22nd 2023
It would be cool to see the Nuggets honor him in some way
May 22nd 2023
I'd be shocked if they didn't.
May 22nd 2023
Has he reconciled with the Nuggets since leaving?
May 22nd 2023
      It’s a fair question , Nuggets fans booed him last time
May 22nd 2023
      Douchebags.
May 22nd 2023
           I think it had / has to do w the Blazers rivalry that was brewing
May 22nd 2023
      Melo was never really fully embraced here in the first place
May 22nd 2023
      I hope you don't take this the wrong way
May 22nd 2023
           Not at all. You're right - he probably doesn't care too much.
May 22nd 2023
           He's said before that if his numbers in rafters, it should be Denver
May 22nd 2023
      In any case, Nuggets fans ought to reconcile with him
May 23rd 2023
I guess he's more thought of as a Knick...
May 22nd 2023
and don’t forget one of the top 75 players of all time
May 22nd 2023
Respect. Its too bad he let too much of A.I. rub off on him
May 22nd 2023
02-03 at Syracuse was my favorite sports team of all time
May 22nd 2023
I still feel like he should have won ROY in '03-'04
May 22nd 2023
No one has made me feel more like an NBA player than Melo.
May 22nd 2023
speak for yourself, i never got the hype.
May 22nd 2023
Just pure facts right here
May 22nd 2023
that video was wack but congrats to melo
May 23rd 2023

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Mon May-22-23 09:02 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Salute to one of the best scorers/tough shot makers of all times...."
In response to Reply # 0

I know he gets flack for his playing style sometimes, but...bully ball Melo, in Denver was one of my favorite things ever. On top of being incredibly skilled with superior footwork...Melo was bigger and stronger than most...and he would bang it on you with no warning.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Beezo
Charter member
27558 posts
Mon May-22-23 09:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Triple threat, shot fake, jab step, swish."
In response to Reply # 0

<---
Fuck a sig, my presence is enough.

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Mon May-22-23 09:38 AM

3. "He could cook you without a single dribble "
In response to Reply # 0

My personal favorite player forever

PROMO
Charter member
30953 posts
Mon May-22-23 09:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "hall of fame career, obviously. "
In response to Reply # 0

wish he could have got a ring even it was just as a bench vet late in his career.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79560 posts
Mon May-22-23 09:56 AM

5. "Salute"
In response to Reply # 0

even tho he went to Cuse

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

guru0509
Charter member
45342 posts
Mon May-22-23 10:31 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "NYC * legend , wish Amare was healthy when he got here "
In response to Reply # 0

>We commend you for having a great, prolific career, and being
>one of the
>greatest players to ever play the game. Also, you are arguably
>the greatest
>college freshmen to ever play, and arguably the greatest
>Olympic basketball
>player to ever play ( but that goes to Jordan!).
>
>We salute you.
>
>

Even though his game is all DMV/Baltimore

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

khn
Member since Jan 20th 2015
682 posts
Mon May-22-23 10:45 AM

7. "Salute. Provided some of my fondest memories of Nuggets fandom"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon May-22-23 10:46 AM by khn

The '09 WCF run, 32-8 to end the season after we hired Karl in '05, the 33 point quarter against the Wolves, on and on and on. Gave the Nuggets a relevance they never had in my lifetime (to say the least), the significance of which is hard to put into words but IYKYK. And certainly moved the meter on these boards in a way few others did outside of Bron, AI and Kobe.

A top-3 player in franchise history and easy first-ballot HOF'er.

allStah
9816 posts
Mon May-22-23 11:05 AM

8. "You mean top 4-5 right."
In response to Reply # 7

Top 3 spots are auto

Jokic
English
Thompson

Then Melo/ Mutumbo

Bulls | Bears | White Sox | Yankees | Notre Dame | Illinois | Chelsea | Real Madrid

khn
682 posts
Mon May-22-23 11:30 AM

10. "Eh, I'm not gonna go to war over Melo vs. Skywalker"
In response to Reply # 8

If you think he should be there, have at it. Strong arguments either way.

guru0509
Charter member
45342 posts
Mon May-22-23 11:07 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "It would be cool to see the Nuggets honor him in some way "
In response to Reply # 7

That team w Kenyon Martin was so fun to cheer for (except George Karl)

>The '09 WCF run, 32-8 to end the season after we hired Karl
>in '05, the 33 point quarter against the Wolves, on and on and
>on. Gave the Nuggets a relevance they never had in my
>lifetime (to say the least), the significance of which is hard
>to put into words but IYKYK. And certainly moved the meter on
>these boards in a way few others did outside of Bron, AI and
>Kobe.
>
>A top-3 player in franchise history and easy first-ballot
>HOF'er.

-------------------

khn
682 posts
Mon May-22-23 11:31 AM

11. "I'd be shocked if they didn't."
In response to Reply # 9

They pulled out all the stops for Deke (which I was lucky to be at). I'd expect something similar or better.

Numba_33
Charter member
19328 posts
Mon May-22-23 11:35 AM

12. "Has he reconciled with the Nuggets since leaving?"
In response to Reply # 7

Assuming he hasn't, it's a bit weird in my opinion that he seemingly has a better relationship with the Knicks front office than the Nuggets front office since he literally reached high peaks with the Nuggets than he did with the Knicks. I'm referring to his playoff career of course in terms of him reaching the Western Conference Finals with the Nuggets.

If he's been cordial with the Nuggets since leaving, my apologies for the erroneous assumption.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

guru0509
Charter member
45342 posts
Mon May-22-23 11:56 AM

13. "It’s a fair question , Nuggets fans booed him last time "
In response to Reply # 12

https://youtu.be/e8ufxgQuTus

255 mark

>Assuming he hasn't, it's a bit weird in my opinion that he
>seemingly has a better relationship with the Knicks front
>office than the Nuggets front office since he literally
>reached high peaks with the Nuggets than he did with the
>Knicks. I'm referring to his playoff career of course in terms
>of him reaching the Western Conference Finals with the
>Nuggets.
>
>If he's been cordial with the Nuggets since leaving, my
>apologies for the erroneous assumption.

-------------------

khn
682 posts
Mon May-22-23 12:19 PM

15. "Douchebags."
In response to Reply # 13

guru0509
Charter member
45342 posts
Mon May-22-23 12:37 PM

16. "I think it had / has to do w the Blazers rivalry that was brewing "
In response to Reply # 15

…And less of Melo himself

-------------------

khn
682 posts
Mon May-22-23 12:14 PM

14. "Melo was never really fully embraced here in the first place"
Mon May-22-23 12:15 PM by khn

He always had outspoken detractors, but his departure (which really wasn't that bad) gave the people who wanted to demonize him something to really dig in with. And all of the criticism he got, even when things were going great, always felt very rooted in 'cism. Unless you're the Broncos, Denver is a really shitty sports town... and doubly so if you're the Nuggets.

I'm optimistic that the relationship can be mended a little bit. There will always be people who just will not like him or give him his due. But it seems like for most fans here with a functioning brain, it's all water under the bridge. Either way, you can't tell the story of the team w/o Melo, so they better show him some fucking respect.

(the double 15s hanging in the rafters 20 years from now will be hilarious though)

Numba_33
Charter member
19328 posts
Mon May-22-23 01:01 PM

17. "I hope you don't take this the wrong way"
In response to Reply # 14

but I wonder if Carmelo Anthony cares that deeply about wanting to get love from Denver fans. The trade from the Nuggets was quite sometime ago and to my knowledge, I haven't heard him make a big deal about linking up with the current Nuggets front office. Like I said before, if you know something I don't in that regard, I will stand corrected.

As petty and vindictive as Dolan is, it seems so odd that Carmelo can get front row tickets to one of the recent Knicks playoff games and get a standing ovation, but its entirely possible he won't even set foot in Denver's current arena for one of the Finals games.

When he gets into the Hall of Fame, I'm hoping he'll get some modicum of love from Nuggets fans since large parts of his career took place there. It's somewhat interesting to me that Carmelo Anthony could be somewhat of a divisive figure given how seemingly easy going he is.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

khn
682 posts
Mon May-22-23 02:04 PM

21. "Not at all. You're right - he probably doesn't care too much."
In response to Reply # 17

The truth is that it never really felt like Melo really wanted to be here, long-term. Some of that relates to reasons I described. Another huge aspect of it would be the George Karl of it all, especially as more and more stuff comes out dealing with what miserable POS Karl was. And then there's other potential items related to his desire to be here (especially vs a market like NYC) that would be even more speculative and really doesn't matter at this point.

And let's keep it really real - Melo didn't do enough to warrant unconditional love during his time here. He ain't getting a statue, and shouldn't. But he should be shown love and celebrated as one of the great, great players we've ever had. And his time here will always have a lot of sentimental value for me.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Mon May-22-23 11:05 PM

27. "He's said before that if his numbers in rafters, it should be Denver"
In response to Reply # 17

https://theathletic.com/4541323/2023/05/22/carmelo-anthony-denver-nuggets/

During one of his final visits here as an opposing player, in December of 2019, Carmelo Anthony was tugged forward, invited to gaze at the future. He was questioned about the eventual end of his storied career — which officially arrived with a retirement announcement on social media Monday after 19 NBA seasons — and asked to envision where his jersey would one day be hung.

ADVERTISEMENT

“This is where it should be retired, to be honest with you,” Anthony said that night. “Just my opinion, man. The history is here. This is where it all started.”

Then, Anthony smiled, acknowledging the complication attached to the idea of raising his No. 15 into the Ball Arena rafters.

“Joker’s got 15 now,” Anthony said, referring to Nikola Jokić, who Monday night will try to lead the Nuggets to the NBA Finals for the first time in their history. “(So) we’ll see. We still have time for that.”

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Tue May-23-23 03:45 AM

28. "In any case, Nuggets fans ought to reconcile with him"

Like somebody else said in this thread, Melo was the clear Rookie of the Year in 03-04, LeBron simply carried a worse team to more mediocre heights and had the Sports Illustrated/ESPN launchpad.

Part of why I (admittedly in increasingly Quixotic fashion) attached myself to the Melo wagon was that he was exactly the player you wanted in the mid-2000s and he was immediately that dude in a way most rookies just weren't. Yes, he wound up being hard to build around and teaming him with Iverson, while a personal wet dream, proved to be poor team building...but J.R. Smith and Kenyon Martin were also integral to those teams. They were highly emotional and volatile in an era when stoicism ruled, with Camby hurt too often to provide that sort of foundation.

It was also a shockingly dark time for rotation guards, and Karl did what he could with what he had but we're talking Anthony Carter, Chucky Atkins, Yakhouba Diawara, Sonny Weems, Dahntay Jones and Arron Afflalo. Some of them had moments, but when the bigs philosophy was so defensively focused, this is an embarrassing role call of backup playmakers.

But more importantly than any of that, while you probably can't pin the Jokic pick his trade to the Knicks, Murray is a direct result of that trade. And those bizarro Knicks Nuggets rosters had weirdly fun and successful seasons alongside Melo thriving in New York, the rare instance of a superstar trade treating both teams well.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43737 posts
Mon May-22-23 01:09 PM

18. "I guess he's more thought of as a Knick..."
In response to Reply # 0

But I always connect Melo to the Nuggets.

Amazing career - one of the best to ever do it.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

allStah
9816 posts
Mon May-22-23 01:13 PM

19. "and don’t forget one of the top 75 players of all time"
In response to Reply # 18
Mon May-22-23 01:13 PM by allStah

who was brought in by the Lakers to try to help them to win a chip.

But yeah he is a Knick

seasoned vet
Member since Jul 29th 2008
6024 posts
Mon May-22-23 01:20 PM

20. "Respect. Its too bad he let too much of A.I. rub off on him"
In response to Reply # 0

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18628 posts
Mon May-22-23 03:35 PM

22. "02-03 at Syracuse was my favorite sports team of all time "
In response to Reply # 0
Mon May-22-23 03:49 PM by DJR

Melo played one of the best overall games I’ve seen in the Final 4 against Texas.

Hell of a pro career. Glad he got that last run, and sports media nerd statboys stopped being so weird and let him get his deserved flowers.

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44713 posts
Mon May-22-23 03:50 PM

23. "I still feel like he should have won ROY in '03-'04"
In response to Reply # 0

I get why he didn't, but he carried that Nuggets team to a 43-39 record and into the play-offs. Post all-star break that year, he was one of the best players in league.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

PROMO
Charter member
30953 posts
Mon May-22-23 05:00 PM

24. "No one has made me feel more like an NBA player than Melo."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon May-22-23 05:00 PM by PROMO

We were all Melo in that moment when he looked at Rihanna in that party, ready to risk it all.

seasoned vet
Member since Jul 29th 2008
6024 posts
Mon May-22-23 05:15 PM

25. "speak for yourself, i never got the hype."
In response to Reply # 24

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Mon May-22-23 06:22 PM

26. "Just pure facts right here"
In response to Reply # 24

He was always one of our own.

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59176 posts
Tue May-23-23 10:29 AM

29. "that video was wack but congrats to melo"
In response to Reply # 0

wish his career coulda went differently especially towards the end

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2791863 Previous topic | Next topic