Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2788765

Subject: "Golf. " Previous topic | Next topic
Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18385 posts
Mon May-01-23 10:46 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Golf. "

I'm 35, I live in the DC Metro area where there's a plethora of solid muni's and public courses, I'm in sales...and I didn't play golf

until recently!

I've taken up golf and am about 2 months into my journey. I'm taking lessons biweekly and hitting balls almost daily. I'm obsessed. I feel like I'm having an affair and getting away with it.

Anyone else play? How often? When did you start? Anyone else in a similar spot to where I'm at? Is golf the coolest shit ever or am I nuts? All I think about when I'm not tending to work or my kids is golf. It's Monday at noon, I have a tee time Friday at 7am, and it's all I can think of I don't know how I'm going to contain my excitement between now and thn.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
it's the game you were meant to play, tiger woods
May 01st 2023
It's all I do. Joined a relatively affordable country club* recently
May 01st 2023
my only suggestion would be to get out on the course as much as possible
May 01st 2023
boy did I play like utter dogshit today, but had fun
May 05th 2023
      just realize that golf is basically the hardest sport known to mankind
May 05th 2023

Robert
Charter member
4112 posts
Mon May-01-23 12:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "it's the game you were meant to play, tiger woods"
In response to Reply # 0

besides the occasional topgolf gathering, i dont play anymore--but did go through a phase back in college years where id play this 9-hole public course with a group (think that scene in Swingers) like once every 1-2 months. i was awful, but it's definitely a very cool feeling when you make that rare (in my case) solid thwack and the ball just *goes*... i still remember (we're talking 20 yrs ago) clearly the only birdie i ever got (like a 130 yard par-3 lol..i skied it with a 9-iron..and miraculously landed 5 ft from cup)

RandomFact
Member since Dec 10th 2005
8710 posts
Mon May-01-23 03:57 PM

2. "It's all I do. Joined a relatively affordable country club* recently"
In response to Reply # 0

Caught the bug during the panny and have been addicted since. Remote work and a project-based schedule (as opposed to a 9-5 Mon-Fri) usually leaves me with random weekday afternoons free. Golf is a great way to occupy four hours of your time while being outdoors and getting some exercise. Good way for us 35+ year olds to meet new people as well.

I'm under two years in and have the handicap at a respectable 12. Still haven't broken 80 but the courses I generally play aren't exactly pushovers.

* I did the math and playing three times a week at public courses under spring/summer rates kind of comes close to the country club dues. This particular club is thankfully not bougey with a bunch of goofy rules and regulations and stuck up rich dicks. Lots of normal folks just out to have a beer and slap a ball without having to deal with the cons of muni golf (pace of play, course conditions, inability to make a tee time etc). Plus I'm like a mile away from the place so that helped make the decision easier. Unlimited golf for the golf obsessed is basically heaven.

I'm all about this post. Good post!

RandomFact
8710 posts
Mon May-01-23 04:32 PM

3. "my only suggestion would be to get out on the course as much as possible"
In response to Reply # 0

at least for me, the range vs the course are two separate sports. once i realized this and had a base to work from (halfway decent grip, stance, takeaway etc) i started to book late twilight tee times for cheap and played as many holes as possible for dark when the course is quieter and the "good" players are long gone (this makes it less stressful when you're learning). getting comfortable on a course and learning how to play different shots from different lies is invaluable.

RE: lessons. Them shits were way too expensive when I lived in LA. I did a couple and the instructors didn't seem to give a shit since they essentially had a monopoly on instruction at the courses and were guaranteed a steady stream of people/revenue all day since golf has been low key blowing up since the pandemic. I've been learning by playing on the course and watching the plethora of free youtube instructional content out there. These were go-to's when I was starting...

https://www.youtube.com/@RickShielsPGA/videos (the instructional videos)
&
https://www.youtube.com/@meandmygolf
&
https://www.youtube.com/@ChrisRyanGolf
&
https://www.youtube.com/@Scratchgolfacademy (this guy is usually short and sweet with his videos)

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18385 posts
Fri May-05-23 10:29 AM

4. "boy did I play like utter dogshit today, but had fun"
In response to Reply # 3

for me dude so much of it is mental - don't get too up after a good hole, too down after a bad hole or shot, remembering the simplest things consistently (keep my head still)

there was enough shots to not feel like today was a total waste though and that's what I'm going to keep taking from the rounds in this beginner phase - what did you do well? Why did those things work?

I only played nine and got in and out in about 2:20...I think if I could play a 3 and a half hour 9 hole round I'd be a lot better lol

RandomFact
8710 posts
Fri May-05-23 06:08 PM

5. "just realize that golf is basically the hardest sport known to mankind"
In response to Reply # 4

you gotta give yourself a long leash during the learning process. and you may find something that works for your swing one day but it randomly disappears in a week for no reason. you may play really well one day and have the worst round of your life the next. it happens to everyone, even pros. the sport make no sense.

my girlfriend just bought a package of group lessons and they are starting them around the green and working backwards to 50 yards, 75, 115 etc. Driver is last. They are learning how to use the scoring clubs (ie wedges) and like a 9 iron. Ideally that leaves a solid foundation for the rest.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2788765 Previous topic | Next topic