Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2775936

Subject: "only black participants in the WS were Dusty & the pregame entertainers...." Previous topic | Next topic
ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Nov-09-22 01:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"only black participants in the WS were Dusty & the pregame entertainers...."

The only African-American participants in the World Series were Dusty Baker and the pregame entertainers — baseball is pathetic

https://deadspin.com/dusty-baker-and-pregame-entertainers-were-the-only-afri-1849753005

When Nick Castellanos fouled out to right on Saturday night during the top of the ninth inning of Game 6 of the World Series in Houston, it meant that the Astros were once again world champions and that Dusty Baker had finally won one as a skipper.

But, it also ended a season in which Major League Baseball did its best to show the world just how little they think of African-Americans. If it wasn’t for Baker and the likes of Meek Mill, Jazmine Sullivan, and Eric Burton — who all took part in pregame entertainment — the “Fall Classic” would have been devoid of African-American participation, as the World Series didn’t feature a single Black player born in the United States.

When the Astros and Phillies announced their 26-man World Series rosters before Game 1, African-Americans were missing, making this the first time since 1950 that not a single U.S.-born Black player was taking the field in baseball’s most sacred series, as Houston outfielder Michael Brantley was out due to injury.

“Nah, don’t tell me that,’’ Baker said when he was made aware of the stat before the series started. “That’s terrible for the state of the game. Wow! Terrible. I’m ashamed of the game.

“Quote me. I am ashamed of the game.’’

Do you know how pathetic you have to be as a league to make a 73-year-old Black man who has given his life to baseball — of all sports — say that in public? The bar is so low when it comes to Major League Baseball, and the culture of the sport keeps lowering it.

To understand why this season was such a great example of the sport’s disdain for African-Americans, all you had to do was look at the three most important days on Major League Baseball’s calendar — Opening Day, the All-Star Game, and the World Series.

For the first time since 1959, the Phillies — the other team in the World Series — didn’t have an African-American player on their Opening Day Roster. It coincided with the fact that only 7.2 percent of African-American-born players were on Opening Day rosters this season league-wide — which was even lower than the 7.6 percent from 2021. And when it came to the All-Star Game, of the 81 players that were selected, only five were African-American-born Black players — 6.17 percent.

Never forget that all of this occurred in a season in which Major League Baseball dared to “celebrate” Jack — not Jackie — Robinson’s 75th anniversary of breaking the color barrier, just two years after the league finally recognized the players of the Negro Leagues by adding them to their official records.

And to think, some folks had the audacity to be shocked at the fact that Baker was alone on that World Series stage, even if he wasn’t in spirit.

“I don’t think about being an African-American manager because I look in the mirror every day and I know what I am,” said Baker before Game 6. “You know what I’m saying? (But) I do know that there’s certain pressure from a lot of people that are pulling for me, especially people of color. And that part I do feel. I hear it every day… and so I feel that I’ve been chosen for this.”

Baker is now part of an exclusive club, as only three Black managers have ever won a World Series.

“I don’t think about being the oldest,” Baker continued. “I don’t think about my age. But I do think about being the third Black manager with Dave Roberts and my good friend Cito Gaston, who was responsible really for me as a kid when I first signed with the Braves.”

In April, Roberts called out Major League Baseball when it came to their efforts in attracting and promoting more African-American players as he said the situation was, “really getting uncomfortable.” Almost seven months later, it’s evident that Roberts was foreshadowing what we’d see in the World Series.

Over the last few days and in the coming weeks and months — and especially when Spring Training begins — Major League Baseball and folks that love to carry this racist sport’s water when it comes to their pathetic efforts at diversity will point to the money that has been donated and the programs that have been created to prevent what took place at the 2022 World Series from happening again. Their words will be as hollow as a Wiffle Ball.

Major League Baseball just experienced something that hadn’t taken place since the days of Jack Robinson. That’s not a sign of progress. It’s proof of an attempt to erase African-Americans from America’s pastime.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Black peoples don’t care about baseball anymore.
Nov 09th 2022
its way deeper than that...
Nov 09th 2022
      Lies
Nov 09th 2022
           how is what he said "lies"?
Nov 09th 2022
           4 exceptional NFL QB’s didn’t choose baseball
Nov 09th 2022
                he literally picked the worst examples to prove his point.
Nov 09th 2022
                It's aLLStah, lol let him cook haha
Nov 29th 2022
                The point is black baseball players are in high school and in college.
Nov 09th 2022
                     that's not what that means.
Nov 09th 2022
                          ^^false.
Nov 09th 2022
           you named 4 people...
Nov 09th 2022
                I named RECENT top 4 black athletes who
Nov 09th 2022
                     you literally have no idea what you're talking about lol...
Nov 09th 2022
                          I just provided you with Numbers and facts
Nov 09th 2022
                          You provided lies and bullshit.
Nov 10th 2022
                          yeah, maybe its because the Pirates were good in the 70’s and early 90...
Nov 10th 2022
More evidence
Nov 09th 2022
More evidence and facts..which I know you didn’t know!
Nov 09th 2022
Only one athlete in the history of sports
Nov 09th 2022
So those other guys you named weren’t 1st rd MLB picks?
Nov 09th 2022
We all know about Kyler Murray. What is your point?
Nov 10th 2022
      its apples and oranges...
Nov 10th 2022
           maybe but there are more players on an NFL roster and more teams
Nov 11th 2022
                The development is a lot different with baseball too and happens earlier...
Nov 26th 2022
Changes coming may do ... something
Nov 11th 2022

allStah
Member since Jun 21st 2014
9816 posts
Wed Nov-09-22 01:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Black peoples don’t care about baseball anymore."
In response to Reply # 0

And the presence of Latinos prove that and what type of Latinos
dominate the sport.

Puerto Rico
Venezuela
Dominican Rep
Cuba.

Baseball is the number one sport in those countries. Period.

Hell you got black guys even focusing more on Hockey than baseball!…you’re starting
to see more Black athletes there.

ALL HAIL THE KING of LOSING: LEBRON
Bulls | Bears | White Sox | Yankees | Notre Dame | Illinois | Chelsea | Real Madrid

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Nov-09-22 01:56 PM

2. "its way deeper than that..."
In response to Reply # 1

the salary structure in baseball makes it cheaper to invest in African-American-like Latino players....

Add in factors like how expensive it has become to play youth baseball in the US putting it out of reach for most African-Americans and its so much more too...

allStah
9816 posts
Wed Nov-09-22 02:03 PM

3. "Lies"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed Nov-09-22 02:04 PM by allStah

Russell Wilson was drafted to play baseball…chose football
Kyler Murray was drafted to play baseball..chose football
Jamies Winston was drafted to baseball ..chose football
Patrick Mahomes was drafted to play baseball…chose football

Black kids are playing baseball in high school and college….but
when it comes time to turn pro they go to another sport.

Go look at all the black kids playing baseball in college in high school.

So you’re way wrong on that.

Bulls | Bears | White Sox | Yankees | Notre Dame | Illinois | Chelsea | Real Madrid

PROMO
Charter member
30947 posts
Wed Nov-09-22 02:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "how is what he said "lies"?"
In response to Reply # 3

LOL.

everything he said is 100 percent true.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79545 posts
Wed Nov-09-22 02:32 PM

6. "4 exceptional NFL QB’s didn’t choose baseball"
In response to Reply # 4

How you like that apples!!!

aint got shit to do with Latin players but its FACTS!!

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

PROMO
Charter member
30947 posts
Wed Nov-09-22 03:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "he literally picked the worst examples to prove his point."
In response to Reply # 6

IsaIsaIsa
Member since May 01st 2008
5862 posts
Tue Nov-29-22 09:48 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
25. "It's aLLStah, lol let him cook haha"
In response to Reply # 7

http://art-------school.com/

https://ibb.co/k4m6n8C

allStah
9816 posts
Wed Nov-09-22 03:14 PM

8. "The point is black baseball players are in high school and in college."
In response to Reply # 6

Playing every season, little league too.

They just don’t want to spend years in farm systems just to get to the big leagues,
when they can come straight out of college at the age of 21 and make millions!

Those examples mean that your top black athletes aren’t choosing baseball!

PROMO
Charter member
30947 posts
Wed Nov-09-22 03:30 PM

10. "that's not what that means."
In response to Reply # 8

that means 4 guys, who were WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better QB prospects than they were baseball prospects, chose football, or, they made the obvious choice, duh.

if any of them were Taylor Heinike on the field, but Griffey Jr. on the diamond? guess which one they're picking.

allStah
9816 posts
Wed Nov-09-22 03:41 PM

11. "^^false."
In response to Reply # 10

Those players were top baseball prospects, which is why they were drafted….
and most people thought Murray was going to play baseball because of his lack
of height as a QB…and people even projected that he would have a better chance
at being a top baseball player than a top football player.

And he still chose the major dollars!

Hell he is a great example! Here is a guy who is 5’8, was a stud of a baseball
player Altuve like, all the odds against him as a QB, and he still chose football….because
of the money….

There was no race issue involved, etc …he simply went after the money like most
black athletes

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Nov-09-22 02:31 PM

5. "you named 4 people..."
In response to Reply # 3

>Russell Wilson was drafted to play baseball…chose football
>Kyler Murray was drafted to play baseball..chose football
>Jamies Winston was drafted to baseball ..chose football
>Patrick Mahomes was drafted to play baseball…chose football
>
>Black kids are playing baseball in high school and
>college….but
>when it comes time to turn pro they go to another sport.
>
>
>Go look at all the black kids playing baseball in college in
>high school.
>
>So you’re way wrong on that.

Players in the US have to go through the draft system and the team has to commit to the them and their development for a certain amount of time whereas they can sign a Juan Soto at 16 with less financial commitment.

In some respects it works well for lower tier players but can work against elite ones. That's how you have a guy like Aaron Judge not reaching full free agency until age 30. Soto is under "team control" for a couple more years so he will get to the big money at 26.

Latin players make less on the front end but get to the big money quicker but after they have had time to develop and teams get to see what kind of player they are going to be before they make the big financial commitment.

allStah
9816 posts
Wed Nov-09-22 03:23 PM

9. "I named RECENT top 4 black athletes who"
In response to Reply # 5
Wed Nov-09-22 03:34 PM by allStah

didn’t chose baseball….even though they were PURSUED hard to play baseball.

Every sport in the US goes through a draft system(lol). One baseball
scout said some scouts don’t even bother scouting top African Americans
ball players because they know they are going to go play football or basketball.

Again black kids are playing tons of baseball in high school..I said it every year.
So you’re wrong…but those kids have too many athletic options and baseball isn’t at the top.

In Latin countries in West Indies, baseball is number 1 sport hands down…
That’s all they focus on.

America used to be the same way before football and basketball became huge….early
1900s until right before the first Super Bowl…it was all baseball….but then NFL took over
and Jordan came….baseball fell off in the black community.

Black families weren’t watching the WS like back in 70s/80s. Black people know who tom Brady is but have no idea who Mike Trout is or Byrne Harper the two best players in baseball
Arguably.

Hell, do you even watch high school baseball ..what about college? They are there….
They just don’t want to play as a pro…and use it as cross training.

Do you know how much black families are paying for their kids
to play football and basketball? A LOT! Black families groom their
kid for football and basketball. I forgot the name of the one player who said
his mother forced him to play football when he wanted to play other sports…

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Nov-09-22 03:58 PM

13. "you literally have no idea what you're talking about lol..."
In response to Reply # 9

>didn’t chose baseball….even though they were PURSUED hard
>to play baseball.
>
>Every sport in the US goes through a draft system(lol).

baseball's draft system is way different and differs depending on where the players are from.

>One
>baseball
>scout said some scouts don’t even bother scouting top
>African Americans
>ball players because they know they are going to go play
>football or basketball.

Every black kid is not a top prospect in football and basketball lol

>
>Again black kids are playing tons of baseball in high
>school..I said it every year.
>So you’re wrong…but those kids have too many athletic
>options and baseball isn’t at the top.

inner city kids and schools have nowhere near the equipment and training capabilities as other kids.

Today a lot of HBCU's give out scholarships to non-black players because they can't find elite level prospects.

>
>In Latin countries in West Indies, baseball is number 1 sport
>hands down…
>That’s all they focus on.
>
>America used to be the same way before football and basketball
>became huge….early
>1900s until right before the first Super Bowl…it was all
>baseball….but then NFL took over
>and Jordan came….baseball fell off in the black community.
>
>Black families weren’t watching the WS like back in
>70s/80s.

actually they were, mine was lol

>Black people know who tom Brady is but have no idea
>who Mike Trout is or Byrne Harper the two best players in
>baseball
>Arguably.
>
>Hell, do you even watch high school baseball ..what about
>college? They are there….

actually I do but they don't have fans at the amateur level like other sports

>They just don’t want to play as a pro…and use it as cross
>training.
>
>
>Do you know how much black families are paying for their kids
>to play football and basketball? A LOT!

no they are not lol, where are you getting this stuff from?

>Black families groom
>their
>kid for football and basketball. I forgot the name of the one
>player who said
>his mother forced him to play football when he wanted to play
>other sports…
>

allStah
9816 posts
Wed Nov-09-22 04:36 PM

14. "I just provided you with Numbers and facts "
In response to Reply # 13

at the end of this thread on cost and participation!

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Nov-10-22 07:04 AM

18. "You provided lies and bullshit."
In response to Reply # 14

legsdiamond
79545 posts
Thu Nov-10-22 10:08 AM

19. "yeah, maybe its because the Pirates were good in the 70’s and early 90..."
In response to Reply # 13

but I grew up watching AND playing baseball

I had Willie Stargell, Roberto Clemente, Tony Pena, Tony Parker cards growing up and the whole city was singing “We Are Family” which was the Pirates theme song. Then we had Bobby Bonilla and Barry Bonds in the late 80’s and early 90’s.

We watched a ton of baseball back in the day.

but once the Pirates got rid of the Black players and went with average white dudes.. we tuned out.

Then we only showed back up when we got McCutchen.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

allStah
9816 posts
Wed Nov-09-22 03:54 PM

12. "More evidence"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Nov-09-22 03:56 PM by allStah

Average cost between baseball and football…

Football-

The average cost for equipping a youth football player is around $558, with most of that being for a helmet (around $200, but costing as much as $350) and for shoulder pads ($200).

Baseball -

Baseball. Even though baseball does not require a lot of protective equipment, bats can be very pricey. The average cost for baseball gear is $385 with a bat costing around $230.

Football is higher or about the same in cost as baseball….so why are black parents willing
to pay for their kids to play even though it’s way more dangerous? Fame and the money

More evidence, this is from former baseball manager:

“ To be sure, there are structural issues with professional baseball that make it less attractive to African-American athletes who might be choosing between it and basketball or football. As Houston manager Bo Porter said recently, the allure of an immediate jump from the amateur ranks to the highest level -- as offered in an idealized version of the NFL and NBA -- makes the prospect of spending three or four years bouncing around the low minors less attractive.”

If black athletes could jump out of high school and college and instantly make millions and
gain notoriety and fame, without worrying about their health? Baseball would be flooded with
black athletes.

What black athlete is going to spend 4 years in a farm system before being called up,
when he can make 100 million a year during that same time span?

I don’t care how great you are in baseball you still have to go through a farm system
before being called up….and farm system life has zero glamor, fame or money.

This ain’t a race or cultural issue….it’s about money, like it always is.

allStah
9816 posts
Wed Nov-09-22 04:45 PM

15. "More evidence and facts..which I know you didn’t know! "
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Nov-09-22 04:53 PM by allStah

In this past MLB draft, 4 of the top 5 picks were black!
The first time in major league history! That happened this year! (Lol)

And look at all the other black players that were drafted in that draft.

Now will they stay, that’s the question.

Black players get drafted and are drafted…and get scouted. Why?

They are playing high school and college, and MLB has even invested in
black communities to get more black kids into baseball.

This isn’t a racial or cultural as far opportunity goes….It’s more a fame,
money and marketing issue.

Hell, baseball doesn’t even market its top white players!…people don’t know who the
fuck Verlander, Harper or Trout are.

Hell, I don’t even care about about baseball like I used to….I care more about soccer
Basketball and football.

It wasn’t like that 25 years ago…I wasn’t into soccer at all, but it started
to get marketed in America. internet provided access to soccer games, and
boom I switched over.

allStah
9816 posts
Wed Nov-09-22 05:12 PM

16. "Only one athlete in the history of sports "
In response to Reply # 0

has been drafted in the first round of the NFL and MLB…guess who he is?

Kyler Murray, black.

“The A's took Murray ninth overall during the June draft and gave him a $4.66 million signing bonus. He became the starting quarterback at Oklahoma in the fall of 2018, led the Sooners to the College Football Playoff and won the Heisman Trophy. He picked football over baseball the following February and had to repay $1.29 million of the $1.5 million he had already been paid of the signing bonus.

Then the Arizona Cardinals selected him No. 1 overall in the NFL draft in April 2019. He signed a four-year deal worth $35.7 million that included a $23.6 million signing bonus, was the team's Week 1 starter, won Rookie of the Year and has reached the Pro Bowl the past two seasons.”

A’s signing bonus: 4 million.

Cardinals singing bonus: 23 million…

Difference: you can make 5 times more in the NFL compared to MLB…

So he bounced…ain’t have shit to do with lack of opportunity or race.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Nov-09-22 05:56 PM

17. "So those other guys you named weren’t 1st rd MLB picks?"
In response to Reply # 16

legsdiamond
79545 posts
Thu Nov-10-22 01:44 PM

20. "We all know about Kyler Murray. What is your point? "
In response to Reply # 16

Personally, I think people are blinded by a few huge contracts in the MLB.

“You can play longer, there is more money”

Have you heard about the struggles most players have who can’t crack the majors?!

NFL practice squad is like 12K a week.

I think double A baseball players make like $300 a week and get hot
dog water.. lol.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Nov-10-22 02:27 PM

21. "its apples and oranges..."
In response to Reply # 20

>Personally, I think people are blinded by a few huge
>contracts in the MLB.
>
>“You can play longer, there is more money”
>
>Have you heard about the struggles most players have who
>can’t crack the majors?!
>
>NFL practice squad is like 12K a week.
>
>I think double A baseball players make like $300 a week and
>get hot
>dog water.. lol.

there are way more MLB minor league jobs than NFL practice squad spots and depending on where that were drafted and if they get called up the baseball money can jump significantly...
https://apnews.com/article/mlb-sports-baseball-minor-league-b4aac9d99b9701e42357607ac076b2e3

legsdiamond
79545 posts
Fri Nov-11-22 11:59 AM

23. "maybe but there are more players on an NFL roster and more teams"
In response to Reply # 21

30 MLB teams with 40 players

32 NFL teams with 60 players on the roster

Sure, more minor league jobs but the pay is crap. They finally adjusted the money a little bit because the pay was atrocious.

Then you have to think about all the international players you are competing against in baseball

Now, its not common but we hear about guys who never played football at all Moe Alley Cox and still make it in the NFL. No one is playing MLB after playing NCAA basketball for 4 years.

I think it would be fun to see how many players get called up every year in baseball vs practice squad players who crack the 53. I would think injuries are more common in the NFL which gives you a better shot to play.

No idea what my overall point is but I think its rather easy to compare MLB and NFL.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Sat Nov-26-22 09:57 AM

24. "The development is a lot different with baseball too and happens earlier..."
In response to Reply # 23

you hear all the time about football and basketball player not taking the sport seriously until high school that doesn’t happen with baseball

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Fri Nov-11-22 11:47 AM

22. "Changes coming may do ... something"
In response to Reply # 0

>the salary structure in baseball makes it cheaper to invest
>in African-American-like Latino players....

You're smart here to identify reasons that impact both supply and demand for black players, though the latter has some changes on the horizon that could (emphasis on "could" not "should" or "will" and definitely not "are intended to") even that balance a little bit. An MLB draft for international talent has the potential to reduce the value of scouting far off reaches of the world for cheap talent because those players will still be subject to the whim of draft order. Feels like the possibility of an international draft has been such a common feature of recent CBA negotiations that it's kind of inevitable. On the other hand, it'd be a "solution" to this problem that mostly works by taking away negotiating power from international players, which is counterproductive. If the international draft is going to help black players, it'll only do it by hurting other players - and I think just ending the draft entirely would get the same (or better) traction without the harm.

People in Puerto Rico have, for a long time, claimed that the inclusion of PR in the MLB draft in the late 80s adversely impacted youth baseball development there because it reduced youth players' negotiating ability, which reduced interest in developing youth talent, which reduced the amount of good players, etc.

This won't impact the salary structure once signed, which in basic shape resembles most other sports (young players are more controllable by their team and are therefore paid less) but which exaggerated by how discrete and particular baseball skills are to develop. Or, put another way, it's more common that a 21 year old can start on an NBA team than on an MLB team.

>Add in factors like how expensive it has become to play youth
>baseball in the US putting it out of reach for most
>African-Americans and its so much more too...

This seems like a far more complex problem to solve, because MLB teams can't be relied on to invest in players that they don't control. So that process of player development, etc. is farmed out to youth leagues and high schools and colleges. And that dynamic is bound to mime current social and political and economic trends.

So the sport's future in the US is in the hands of people who need to watch out for their own financial security, and that's contributed to a flood of talented and helpful skills coaches and youth leagues taking the wheel for player development. But those aren't available in every area (particularly areas without ample green space and nice weather) or affordable for every parent. So the game is basically turning into hockey or lacrosse at that level: way more avenues to success if you live in a wealthy suburb and have at least one parent constantly available to ferry you from practices to games to private practices with particularized skills coaches. And there are plenty of black American families that have that, to be sure, but it's a numbers game.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2775936 Previous topic | Next topic