Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2770107

Subject: "NBA won't have COVID-19 vaccine mandate for '22-'23 season" Previous topic | Next topic
Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Wed Aug-03-22 11:28 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"NBA won't have COVID-19 vaccine mandate for '22-'23 season"

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-wont-have-covid-19-vaccine-mandate-for-2022-23-season-per-report/

"While the NBA still strongly suggests that all players, coaches and staff members receive the COVID-19 vaccine, the league will not introduce a vaccine mandate for next season, according to Yahoo Sports. Unvaccinated players may be subject to periodic testing, however, pending discussions with the National Basketball Players Association."

-->

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
was there talk that there would have been a mandate?
Aug 03rd 2022
I don't think the NBA every considered it internally
Aug 03rd 2022
      California and New York just declared a state of emergency
Aug 03rd 2022
           some criticism re: public health response isn't 'anti-vaxx' per se
Aug 03rd 2022
                Significant studies at this point is disingenuous
Aug 04th 2022
Morons. People might want to stick their fingers in their ears...
Aug 03rd 2022
I mean, it probably won't regardless.
Aug 03rd 2022
People being stubborn idiots for the past two and half years...
Aug 03rd 2022
      I don't disagree with that.
Aug 03rd 2022
           agreed. They survived. Not sure how many people they killed
Aug 03rd 2022
           The thing is: they're still killing people
Aug 03rd 2022
           Nah, man. Fuck that
Aug 03rd 2022
           ^^^^^
Aug 03rd 2022
           I feel you, and I don't disagree.
Aug 03rd 2022
           You think that approach is going to increase vaccination?
Aug 04th 2022
                I could give less than a fuck
Aug 05th 2022
                     At least you're consistent
Aug 05th 2022
           yup. pretty much here too
Aug 04th 2022
I don't think it's a lack of inteligence
Aug 04th 2022
RE: I don't think it's a lack of inteligence
Aug 04th 2022
agreed.
Aug 05th 2022
what about Toronto? unvaccinated baseball players still can't go there
Aug 03rd 2022
As of now, you cannot enter Canada if you're unvaccinated
Aug 03rd 2022
just announced, must be vaxxed or have medical clearance...
Aug 08th 2022
them protocols gonna be crazy.
Aug 04th 2022
US declared national state of emergency IRT monkey pox
Aug 06th 2022
We got Polio outbreaks now & ppl still want to act stupid about vaccines
Aug 06th 2022

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59128 posts
Wed Aug-03-22 11:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "was there talk that there would have been a mandate?"
In response to Reply # 0

would have been a weird direction to go in at this time.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Wed Aug-03-22 12:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I don't think the NBA every considered it internally"
In response to Reply # 1

After all - they didn't even institute a mandate last year (as the overwhelming majority of the players opposed it) and just left it up to local jurisdictions/states.

But there has been some outside pressure criticizing sports leagues for not instituting blanket mandates (many of those voices here on this board) - so in that respect it's interesting to see how they're operating when making these decisions in concert with the NBPA.

Perhaps the most notable piece of news here is that places like California and NY (once staunchly pro-mandate) are also backing down and not signaling any further appetite to enforce blanket mandates.

-->

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Wed Aug-03-22 01:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "California and New York just declared a state of emergency "
In response to Reply # 2
Wed Aug-03-22 01:01 PM by bentagain

for monkey pox (along with Illinois/3 biggest cities in the country)

What’s the benefit of making this declaration now?

It’s interesting that the antivaxx movement became so vocal in recent history

and now there’s a monkey pox outbreak…that a small pox vaccine does provide protection against

The Covid pandemic is not over, continuing to mutate
and now there’s a new virus outbreak

What’s the science for not mandating employees be vaccinated?

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Wed Aug-03-22 02:39 PM

10. "some criticism re: public health response isn't 'anti-vaxx' per se"
In response to Reply # 4

it's more about demanding better vaccine products/treatments that have more of a sterilizing effect (as is the case with many other vaccines) to where you're actually curbing transmission in a very significant way with the deployment of the vaccines. These aren't those kinds of vaccines.

The protective benefit is clear for keeping people out of the hospital and preventing death, but not clear at all in terms of how efficacious it is at stopping spread (particularly as we get further and further away from the ancestral strain of which these vaccines were calibrated for). There have been significant studies demonstrating that there's no discernable difference at this point (in August 2022) between how likely one is to get infected based on vaccination status. These Omicron subvariants don't care if you've had prior infection or if you're vaccinated - they're infecting everyone - but thankfully are far less lethal than prior strains (particularly Delta).

Now the landscape may change when these bivalent vaccines are introduced later this year. If they prove to actually be what these original vaccines were purported to be (effective at halting spread) - then perhaps there's more of an impetus to mandate vaccination.

-->

bentagain
16595 posts
Thu Aug-04-22 01:37 PM

19. "Significant studies at this point is disingenuous "
In response to Reply # 10

Especially since your reply contains benefits of the vaccine
…but I digress…
Saying the vaccine, which was developed in a year
To combat the initial novel virus
Does not provide meaningful protection against the 5th variant of the initial virus
Is ridiculous
Continuing advocate for anti-mandate measures will only compound the issue
Once a more effective vaccine is developed

We briefly discussed the idea in another post
Mandates were removed in March
Hello summer 2022 surge!

I believe each surge has been attributed to a new variant
So the vaccine has obviously been effective at eradicating the initial covid strain

You also ignored the small pox vaccine/monkey pox outbreak correlary

Continuing to advocate for the removal of mandates
Has the potential to set us back to step 1
= lockdown.

Given that the measures being prescribed are the only weapons to combat the pandemic currently
I thinks your stance, and the NBA’s, are very dangerous

The people who are buying in to anti-vaxx logic
Aren’t going to be convinced when the perfect vaccine (by your criteria) exists.

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44687 posts
Wed Aug-03-22 12:44 PM

3. "Morons. People might want to stick their fingers in their ears..."
In response to Reply # 0

...and pretend that COVID has gone away. But it hasn't. And it never will if people keep acting dumb.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43715 posts
Wed Aug-03-22 01:00 PM

5. "I mean, it probably won't regardless."
In response to Reply # 3

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

mrhood75
44687 posts
Wed Aug-03-22 01:16 PM

7. "People being stubborn idiots for the past two and half years..."
In response to Reply # 5

...has probably put us firmly past the point of no return. But there's no reason to actively feed into the dumb shit.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Ryan M
43715 posts
Wed Aug-03-22 01:25 PM

8. "I don't disagree with that."
In response to Reply # 7

But sometime in...I dunno...late 2020? It became pretty obvious this shit wasn't gonna go away. At THIS point though - I'm no longer mad at people who didn't get the vax. It's been kinda freeing, TBH.

17x NBA Champions

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59128 posts
Wed Aug-03-22 03:34 PM

11. "agreed. They survived. Not sure how many people they killed"
In response to Reply # 8

i survived. not sure how many people i killed.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

mrhood75
44687 posts
Wed Aug-03-22 04:46 PM

13. "The thing is: they're still killing people"
In response to Reply # 11

Willfully endangering lives because "no one is going to tell them what to do."

So this shit will never be over.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

mrhood75
44687 posts
Wed Aug-03-22 04:45 PM

12. "Nah, man. Fuck that"
In response to Reply # 8

>But sometime in...I dunno...late 2020? It became pretty
>obvious this shit wasn't gonna go away. At THIS point though -
>I'm no longer mad at people who didn't get the vax. It's been
>kinda freeing, TBH.

I've got close family members, close vaccinated family members, that are currently dealing with the fall-out of dipshit, galaxy-brain, Joe Rogan-listening sub-morons who ignored science and facilitated the development of COVID strains that or more contagious than ever before.

I am in no way letting these dinguses off the hook. Letting ignorant shit slide is how we get shit like climate change denial, flat-earthers, and election "truthers." They will always be the object of my scorn and I'll always let them know.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

guru0509
Charter member
45301 posts
Wed Aug-03-22 07:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "^^^^^"
In response to Reply # 12

>>But sometime in...I dunno...late 2020? It became pretty
>>obvious this shit wasn't gonna go away. At THIS point though
>-
>>I'm no longer mad at people who didn't get the vax. It's
>been
>>kinda freeing, TBH.
>
>I've got close family members, close vaccinated family
>members, that are currently dealing with the fall-out of
>dipshit, galaxy-brain, Joe Rogan-listening sub-morons who
>ignored science and facilitated the development of COVID
>strains that or more contagious than ever before.
>
>I am in no way letting these dinguses off the hook. Letting
>ignorant shit slide is how we get shit like climate change
>denial, flat-earthers, and election "truthers." They will
>always be the object of my scorn and I'll always let them
>know.

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

Ryan M
43715 posts
Wed Aug-03-22 07:24 PM

15. "I feel you, and I don't disagree."

But the world is burning and I'm not going to change those assholes' minds. I honestly just keep it moving because stupid is as stupid does and life's too short to anger myself consistently. Because holy SHIT is there a lot of ignorance and stupidity out there - hell in each of our families there's probably more than their should be, let alone all the rest of it.

I get it though. Don't begrudge you for doing so. I, personally, am just exhausted of being angry at people all the time.

17x NBA Champions

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Thu Aug-04-22 09:43 AM

16. "You think that approach is going to increase vaccination?"

Name-calling, calling people "ignorant" and basically saying "fuck your thoughts" is going to increase vaccine coverage somehow?

There are many countries (like Japan for example) which placed an emphasis on informed consent (weighing risks/benefits openly and transparently) and persuasive strategies to encourage vaccination - and they experienced significantly higher vaccine coverage than we have. I don't think coercive strategies of trying to force people to take a vaccine (while not fully disclosing the facts) is nearly as effective as persuading them to do something for their health in a way that respects their agency in making that decision.

>I've got close family members, close vaccinated family
>members, that are currently dealing with the fall-out of
>dipshit, galaxy-brain, Joe Rogan-listening sub-morons who
>ignored science and facilitated the development of COVID
>strains that or more contagious than ever before.

What are you talking about when you say "sub-morons facilitated the development of COVID strains"? The development of Omicron - for example - had nothing to do with your characterization here as the consensus now is that it developed out of a prolonged illness in someone with a compromised immune system in South Africa. Is that person in South Africa a "sub-moron"?

There's been extraordinary evolutionary pressure on this virus to mutate both in vaccinated and unvaccinated hosts - as it's mutating in unvaccinated hosts and also learning to evade vaccinated immunity in vaccinated hosts - which is why we're seeing such significant immune escape with Omicron whereby these subvariants are masters of immune evasion.

But I'm curious: why aren't you calling for flu-shot mandates as well? Are the people who aren't taking flu-shots dumb ignorant fucks as well who are complicit in murder? Up to 650,000 people die of flu-related illness every year around the world, yet we don't have a flu shot mandate and I don't see people saying that those who carry the flu without a flu-shot are "killing people" using the same logic.

The flu-shot is also a bit more analogous to these covid vaccines in terms of efficacy than traditional sterilizing vaccines. In any given year, the best we can hope for is around ~65% efficacy with the flu-shot as it's a bit of lottery to calibrate each annual flu-shot to match the emerging strain of that season. In most cases, the efficacy is significantly less than 65% and falls below 50%. Still, you could easily make the argument that the flu-shot is *more* efficacious at stopping spread than these covid vaccines (especially now) - yet I don't see the same energy to mandate the flu-shot and characterize those who don't take the flu-shot as willful murderers.

-->

mrhood75
44687 posts
Fri Aug-05-22 04:06 PM

23. "I could give less than a fuck"
In response to Reply # 16

We're two and a half years into this, so these sub-morons have had more than enough time to educate themselves and get vaccinated. You have a legitmate medical reason that you can't vaccinated? That's one thing. But that's a very small percentage. Otherwise, these shitheads who aren't getting a shot to "pwn the left" or because they've "educated and enlightened themselves" can eat shit. They're very much the reason that this is still going on. If a new strain of the COVID developed that would make the Joe Rogans and Aaron Rodgers of the world drop dead, I wouldn't bat an eye.

And let me be clear: I think flu shots should be mandated too.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Fri Aug-05-22 11:19 PM

24. "At least you're consistent"
In response to Reply # 23

>And let me be clear: I think flu shots should be mandated
>too.

I can respect that.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38797 posts
Thu Aug-04-22 02:34 PM

20. "yup. pretty much here too"
In response to Reply # 8

people have made up their minds.
i think they're dumb. they think i'm a dumb sheep, but whatever. do you.
mandates only get us so far. in some fields they make perfect sense, but in others they almost seem counter-productive.
i'm not trying to waste energy on it.

>But sometime in...I dunno...late 2020? It became pretty
>obvious this shit wasn't gonna go away. At THIS point though -
>I'm no longer mad at people who didn't get the vax. It's been
>kinda freeing, TBH.
>

Numba_33
Charter member
19311 posts
Thu Aug-04-22 10:16 AM

17. "I don't think it's a lack of inteligence"
In response to Reply # 3

that's guiding how folks in positions of power make decision regarding mandates for COVID at this point. I have to think the economic impacts of placing additional mandates are key in most folks mind at this point, for better or for worse.

This is true outside of a sports context and unfortunately is the guideline for how I think government officials at the city and state level operate.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

jimaveli
Charter member
6586 posts
Thu Aug-04-22 01:05 PM

18. "RE: I don't think it's a lack of inteligence"
In response to Reply # 17

>that's guiding how folks in positions of power make decision
>regarding mandates for COVID at this point. I have to think
>the economic impacts of placing additional mandates are key in
>most folks mind at this point, for better or for worse.
>
>This is true outside of a sports context and unfortunately is
>the guideline for how I think government officials at the city
>and state level operate.

I agree. Lots of people in power leaned HARD into the lip service of 'hey, we want to keep our people safe damnit!'.

Then, after a while, things drifted to 'fuck it, let's roll. The stats say you're probably not going to die even if you get it. And we gotta get this money or you're going to have other problems!'.

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132212 posts
Fri Aug-05-22 08:10 AM

22. "agreed."
In response to Reply # 3

and it's ridiculous to see the NBA take this stance as a corporation after all this point.

I know the Raptors are an outlier but are they going to force the team to play in the States again?

Yes, I'm mad. Let's move on.

Jays | Cavs | Eagles | Sabres | Tarheels

PSN: Dr_Claw_77 | XBL: Dr Claw 077 | FB: drclaw077 | T: @drclaw77 | http://thepeoplesvault.wordpress.com

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Aug-03-22 01:14 PM

6. "what about Toronto? unvaccinated baseball players still can't go there"
In response to Reply # 0

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Wed Aug-03-22 02:32 PM

9. "As of now, you cannot enter Canada if you're unvaccinated "
In response to Reply # 6

and you have to use the ARRIVECAN app to verify your vaccine status. So unvaccinated players are still not allowed to travel to Canada to play road games. It's likely that will change (or perhaps will at least change in Ontario even if other provinces remain more strict (like Quebec for example))>

-->

Dstl1
Charter member
56187 posts
Mon Aug-08-22 05:19 PM

27. "just announced, must be vaxxed or have medical clearance..."
In response to Reply # 6

to play in Canada.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132212 posts
Thu Aug-04-22 03:20 PM

21. "them protocols gonna be crazy."
In response to Reply # 0

The Kyrie Irving Rule.

Yes, I'm mad. Let's move on.

Jays | Cavs | Eagles | Sabres | Tarheels

PSN: Dr_Claw_77 | XBL: Dr Claw 077 | FB: drclaw077 | T: @drclaw77 | http://thepeoplesvault.wordpress.com

bentagain
16595 posts
Sat Aug-06-22 12:22 PM

25. "US declared national state of emergency IRT monkey pox"
In response to Reply # 0

SMH...not even a week later... terrible messaging by the NBA.

guru0509
Charter member
45301 posts
Sat Aug-06-22 01:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
26. "We got Polio outbreaks now & ppl still want to act stupid about vaccines"
In response to Reply # 25

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/05/new-york-polio-case-tip-of-iceberg-hundreds-of-others-could-be-infected.html

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2770107 Previous topic | Next topic