Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2768679

Subject: "OKS Parents: How expensive is athletics for your child?" Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Fri Jun-24-22 11:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"OKS Parents: How expensive is athletics for your child?"

I came across this tweet and thought about how challenging it is to raise a child who's interested in sports and afford all of the trips and league fees and other aspects of youth sports.

There's a pretty good thread along with the initial tweet that are worth looking through.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

https://twitter.com/Kameron_Hay/status/1540334707891752960?s=20&t=2uDJ5HOoEbzCjTABnWLuww

Jokes aside, youth sports are becoming too expensive for a lot of families. A real conversation to be had.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
It depends on the sport, and what the goals are.
Jun 25th 2022
I work in it. It’s too expensive and it’s only going to keep going u...
Jun 25th 2022
this part...
Jun 25th 2022
this is mind boggling, cant imagine the cost for golf hockey tennis etc
Jun 26th 2022
I'm the president of a travel softball league
Jul 01st 2022
my kids aren’t old enough but my friends with kids in travel leagues
Jul 01st 2022
Aside from simply kids learning life skills through sports...
Jul 23rd 2022
def by design
Jul 23rd 2022
It really is a barrier
Jul 24th 2022
a fucking lot, times two. money AND time
Jul 24th 2022
place holder. I saw this a few days ago and wanted to reply
Aug 18th 2022

allStah
Member since Jun 21st 2014
9816 posts
Sat Jun-25-22 01:02 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "It depends on the sport, and what the goals are."
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Jun-25-22 01:11 AM by allStah

I used to work with preteens in track and field, nothing too serious. I taught them
them training drills( high knees, buttkicks, skips, etc) at a park district that I trained at.
There was no charge. Most of the kids were just participating for recreation, but there
were a few who wanted to become serious runners.

It’s not hard to find a track or a park district that provides a track, and as long as the participation takes place in-state, a lot of racing meets and training programs will be of little to no cost. However, if you want your child to be part of an elite running club, and participate in different events nationally, that’s when it can become expensive. You will have to pay for quality equipment, coaching, entry fees, food and board, and transportation.

If you simply want your kid to participate in sports just for fun,
then the park district offers a lot of free sports programs, especially
during the summer.

Swimming and track and field are the least expensive sports, because a lot of
equipment isn’t needed, and it’s so easy for the park district to offer those programs.

Baseball, soccer, and football are very expensive sports, because uniforms are
needed, and special equipment is needed for different positions, and that’s just on
a recreationally level.. The cost is even more expensive if you went your child
to compete on a serious level.

So if you want your kid to become a prolific athlete in a particular sport, and you
want him to join an amateur league or team, then you should generate some
type of fundraiser to cover the cost, especially if you don’t have the means to
support the expenses. Don’t be too proud to raise funds.... Rich people never use
their own money. They use other people’s money.

That’s my two cents on it.

ALL HAIL THE KING of LOSING: LEBRON
Bulls | Bears | White Sox | Yankees | Notre Dame | Illinois | Chelsea | Real Madrid

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85073 posts
Sat Jun-25-22 07:26 AM

2. "I work in it. It’s too expensive and it’s only going to keep going u..."
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Jun-25-22 07:34 AM by BrooklynWHAT

The coaches aren’t taking paycuts, the trainers aren’t taking paycuts, the directors aren’t taking paycuts, the tournament directors and apparel brands aren’t going to accept losing revenue. I’m damn sure not taking a paycut for what I do. It is what it is. I go to these events and you now have all these highlight video making services at them, media training firms/consultants, any aspect of this thing that can be monetized, is. Gas? Hotel expenses? Tickets to the actual tournaments? Yearly refreshes of gear that would be perfectly fine for another 2 or 3 years?

All this stuff is incestuous too so everyone gets a cut. The brand sponsors an event, gives the director some free shit for ad space and access to their databases or something,, links up with the hotel chain saying we’re bringing 1000 teams to your city for 3 days, give them a 25% discount rate on rooms, you pay us that discount and you will make quarter worth of revenue in 3 days. They take that package to another city and say we’ll bring this to you in 2 years if you give us more than this place.

So my question to most folks is what is their goal with their kids. If they just want to have fun and get free school somewhere, it isn’t too expensive these days. There are tons of programs out there for them. I have many clients that pride themselves on having low registration fees and doing a lot of these ancillary services I mentioned above, out of the good of their hearts. Their standout kids get picked off by bigger programs and sold the dream. Then these big programs get to say “hey I made this kid that kid, those kids” in their pitch and promotions when really all they did is reap the benefits of the goodhearted and giving people. I help where I can but my wallet matters too so I end up shedding these clients after a bit because the value isn’t in it for me either.

If you want your kid to just get a scholarship SOMEWHERE it doesn’t have to be expensive. But if you want your kid to have a shot at going pro, it’s going to be a high 5 to low 6 figure expense over the course of their youth career. Like 50k and up unless they’re playing football. That’s the sport of the trenches now. I’ve heard countless stories of families emptying their savings on their kid to try and give them the dream, and then it just doesn’t pan out because the kid isn’t good enough at the end of the day. It’s a cold business but that’s America and it is not going to change.

<--- Big Baller World Order

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Sat Jun-25-22 11:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "this part..."
In response to Reply # 2

>families emptying their savings on their kid to try and give
>them the dream, and then it just doesn’t pan out because the
>kid isn’t good enough at the end of the day. It’s a cold
>business but that’s America and it is not going to change.
>

so many folks thinking their child is the next whomever and throwing so much time and money at, many times, the parent's dreams.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

guru0509
Charter member
45356 posts
Sun Jun-26-22 11:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "this is mind boggling, cant imagine the cost for golf hockey tennis etc"
In response to Reply # 2

the bourgie / expensive sports

>The coaches aren’t taking paycuts, the trainers aren’t
>taking paycuts, the directors aren’t taking paycuts, the
>tournament directors and apparel brands aren’t going to
>accept losing revenue. I’m damn sure not taking a paycut for
>what I do. It is what it is. I go to these events and you now
>have all these highlight video making services at them, media
>training firms/consultants, any aspect of this thing that can
>be monetized, is. Gas? Hotel expenses? Tickets to the actual
>tournaments? Yearly refreshes of gear that would be perfectly
>fine for another 2 or 3 years?
>
>All this stuff is incestuous too so everyone gets a cut. The
>brand sponsors an event, gives the director some free shit for
>ad space and access to their databases or something,, links up
>with the hotel chain saying we’re bringing 1000 teams to
>your city for 3 days, give them a 25% discount rate on rooms,
>you pay us that discount and you will make quarter worth of
>revenue in 3 days. They take that package to another city and
>say we’ll bring this to you in 2 years if you give us more
>than this place.
>
>So my question to most folks is what is their goal with their
>kids. If they just want to have fun and get free school
>somewhere, it isn’t too expensive these days. There are tons
>of programs out there for them. I have many clients that pride
>themselves on having low registration fees and doing a lot of
>these ancillary services I mentioned above, out of the good of
>their hearts. Their standout kids get picked off by bigger
>programs and sold the dream. Then these big programs get to
>say “hey I made this kid that kid, those kids” in their
>pitch and promotions when really all they did is reap the
>benefits of the goodhearted and giving people. I help where I
>can but my wallet matters too so I end up shedding these
>clients after a bit because the value isn’t in it for me
>either.
>
>If you want your kid to just get a scholarship SOMEWHERE it
>doesn’t have to be expensive. But if you want your kid to
>have a shot at going pro, it’s going to be a high 5 to low 6
>figure expense over the course of their youth career. Like 50k
>and up unless they’re playing football. That’s the sport
>of the trenches now. I’ve heard countless stories of
>families emptying their savings on their kid to try and give
>them the dream, and then it just doesn’t pan out because the
>kid isn’t good enough at the end of the day. It’s a cold
>business but that’s America and it is not going to change.
>

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

The Real
Charter member
14041 posts
Fri Jul-01-22 09:12 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "I'm the president of a travel softball league"
In response to Reply # 0

It can be really expensive but I never want money to be an obstacle for a family so we have the lowest registration fee in the area. However, there are other requirements that need to be met (like they must participate in two organizational fundraisers).

However there are other costs that we always have to consider:
- Hotels
- Distance some parents have to travel to practice
- Softball bats are expensive AF and are really only good for one year

Knowing this I don't require players to purchase their team helmet, bag, or uniforms unlike other travel organizations in my area. We eat those costs through fundraising.

This being said, it can still be a substantial financial commitment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79594 posts
Fri Jul-01-22 10:08 AM

6. "my kids aren’t old enough but my friends with kids in travel leagues"
In response to Reply # 0

sure look like they pay a grip

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Sat Jul-23-22 02:54 PM

7. "Aside from simply kids learning life skills through sports..."
In response to Reply # 0

The thing that bothers me is that kids of color, especially kids with less economic privilege, are being priced out of one of the few easily available pathways towards upward mobility.

I guess if a young kid, who's working class, has a lot of talent, and is coachable, maybe some family or organization sponsors them, and the kid gets a chance to go to college or even to a professional league. But there are probably 100 boys and girls who fall through the cracks for every one who gets through.

It reminds me of a good E:60 episode with Andrew McCutchen. If I recall, he was a good athlete, but his family couldn't pay for all of the traveling teams until Andrew found a benefactor. Imagine if he wasn't able to receive that kind of support?

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79594 posts
Sat Jul-23-22 04:31 PM

8. "def by design"
In response to Reply # 7

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Gemini_Two_One
Charter member
11580 posts
Sun Jul-24-22 03:28 PM

10. "It really is a barrier "
In response to Reply # 7

My son started playing soccer for a local park district in a majority Hispanic neighborhood with many talented players. The park district team would play against some club teams and were competitive. After beating other park district teams by gazillion to one, I decided to let my son try out for a club team and he made it. The park district was less than $100 a season (summer, fall, and winter/spring), so no more than $300 a year or less if you lived in the community. The club fees are about $2,000 a year plus a uniform package.

Now, the club is majority white kids. Some are talented but play multiple sports and come to practice and games when they can. I am amazed at how many parents have $2,000 to blow for their kid to show up every once and while. Meanwhile, if some of the park district kids were exposed to additional coaching and higher level of play they would run circles around some of our players, but some of their parents can't afford to pay thousands of dollars each year. I have told the director I would not mind paying an extra $100 a year to offer a sliding scale rate for those talented players that can't afford the full cost. There are over 200 players in the club charging slightly more could get us some better players and give some kids a chance to play club that otherwise would not.

-------------------------------------------------------
Keep the crack raps up that shit is double plus what-ever-the-fuck.
Everybody's afraid to say that it just sucks to watch talented motherfuckers pretending they sell drugs - EL-P

Beamer6178
Member since Jan 09th 2006
6379 posts
Sun Jul-24-22 10:49 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "a fucking lot, times two. money AND time"
In response to Reply # 0

we fortunately have had the income for them to pursue a variety of activities so that they could gravitate towards that which interested them more. however, with kids who have had a comfortable life and access to quality education, a myopic sports focused future was not something we prioritized or considered strongly, and frankly that's the POINT of a more comfortable life, where you don't have to sacrifice your body for income. that's why so many professional athletes' children do not replicate their parents' path, which is success in and of itself.

ideally every sports league within a close proximity is well populated and well run, but that is not the case with us. soccer is easily the most populated. basketball is ok, baseball has been fledgling, hockey is too specialized and we're not pursuing tackle football. so while they tried a lot of things, the logistics of moving two people who are three years apart in different things in a highly populated and high traffic area (Washington DMV) is a reality check about the extent to which any/all things can be tried.

high school sports is "cheaper" and "open to all" but they can be political and preferential as fuck, and even if that isn't the issue, athletes who show up have had training prior to being on teams, so there are some established advantages.

the days of "pure talent" are so far gone, money drives so much access and opportunity.

my friend's daughter got a full scholarship for golf at UTennessee and she's biracial (mom white, dad black) and I anticipate she will be a pretty big deal, she kind of already is. through my friend's (the mom's) experience, the notion that the best golfers we have are currently out there is an absolutely joke. as a surprise to no one, golf is completely about money, and the girl's parents are not rich. has taken a lot of sacrifice and self-funded endeavors. she has been receiving merch and gets her clubs fitted by companies, but fees fees fees...nevermind the fact that she grew up in MD without regular and easy access to high quality courses. the fact that she's made it to this point, when she DOES get 24-7 like access, it's a WRAP. fortunately she will be able to benefit from NIL

american capitalism, like with everything else, sullies and pollutes any notions of purity or "natural." so honestly, sports is to keep them active and to help them socially. if we can get some college $$ out of it great but we are not putting all our chips on that number.

i could talk about this much longer but this gives a snapshot.

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Thu Aug-18-22 03:07 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "place holder. I saw this a few days ago and wanted to reply"
In response to Reply # 0

but we had practice, a game, or some extra work to do. So Ill get to it this weekend

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2768679 Previous topic | Next topic