Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2767832

Subject: "Luka gets Wood" Previous topic | Next topic
Numba_33
Charter member
19335 posts
Thu Jun-16-22 11:13 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Luka gets Wood"

link: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/christian-wood-trade-brings-strong-value-low-risk-for-mavs/ar-AAYy2L1

swipe:

Christian Wood Trade Brings Strong Value, Low Risk for Mavs

Grant Afseth 1 hr ago

A former NBA executive believes the Mavericks took the right risk trading for the Houston Rockets big man.

The Dallas Mavericks and Houston Rockets reached an agreement on the offseason's first big trade, which pairs Christian Wood with Luka Doncic in exchange for salary filler and a late first-round pick.

Specifically, the Mavericks will receive Wood in exchange for Boban Marjanovic, Trey Burke, Sterling Brown, Marquese Chriss and the No. 26 overall pick.

Many were surprised by the return the Rockets are receiving in this trade. The motivation was to open more minutes for Alperen Sengun. However, the value for a stretch-five who averaged 17.9 points, 10.1 rebounds and 2.3 assists last season feels low.

In a conversation with NBA Analysis Network, one former league executive sees great value in what the Mavericks gave up for Wood. It's a low-risk move with motivation for Wood to make it work in a contract year.

"Dallas traded four players they don't give minutes to and a late first for a stretch-five with a lot to his game. His effort level has been a concern at times but playing for a contender in a contract year should fix that. The bar is high for him on the Mavericks with them coming off a Western Conference Finals appearance. If it doesn't work out, that'll be something front offices take into account."

The Mavericks managed to get by with Dwight Powell and Maxi Kleber as their center rotation against the Utah Jazz and Phoenix Suns. Not having a starting center that can space the floor became an issue against the Golden State Warriors, as well as rebounding issues due to undersized personnel.

The two-man game with Luka Doncic is intriguing in itself. The former executive is intrigued by how Wood adds another scoring threat.

"Wood can make step-back 3s, come off flares, and can do really everything as a ball screener between pops and catch lobs. All of that will be maximized with Doncic's passing and the attention he draws. The Mavericks needed another iso scorer against the Warriors in the Conference Finals and Wood checks that box. If Brunson decides to re-sign, Dallas will have 2-3 threats to attack off the bounce at all times while having a shooter at every position. Good luck guarding that..."

The talent has always been there with Wood. The main concern is if the Mavericks can get buy-in from him defensively. Given the high stakes entering a contract year and joining a contender, Wood would be doing himself a major disservice by not doing so.

Wood initially signed with the Rockets in 2020 with the intention of competing for a championship before James Harden was traded to the Brooklyn Nets. He averaged 23.0 points, 8.7 rebounds, and 1.3 assists in seven appearances with Harden on the floor. He exceeded the 20-point threshold in all but one of those games.

For now, the Mavericks still have their center rotation from the playoffs. They can switch up lineup combinations if needed, given they aren't paying Wood a massive contract like they were Kristaps Porzingis.

At the very least, if it doesn't work out for the Mavericks, they parted with four players that would have sat on the bench while giving up the No. 26 overall pick. Late first-rounders have value, but so does taking risks for high-upside outcomes.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I know he didn't fit the Rockets plan
Jun 16th 2022
I looked him up on basketball-reference.com
Jun 16th 2022
      He’s very bad defensively.
Jun 16th 2022
      Kidd is going to turn him into Kenyon Martin with 3 point range
Jun 16th 2022
           Relax with the hyperbole...he isnt anywhere NEAR Kmart, now or EVER
Jun 27th 2022
      I pretty much agree, I think he was the 2nd player to test positive…
Jun 16th 2022
He is basically a 20/10. He can score all over the court
Jun 16th 2022

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43744 posts
Thu Jun-16-22 01:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I know he didn't fit the Rockets plan"
In response to Reply # 0

But also - gotta think there's a reason there's been no market for this guy for the last year.

He'll help, but he's not HELP.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Numba_33
Charter member
19335 posts
Thu Jun-16-22 03:33 PM

2. "I looked him up on basketball-reference.com"
In response to Reply # 1

and I expected him to be one of the young kids Houston was tanking around with last season. I had no clue this dude was in the league for eight seasons now. I don't think I've literally seen this guy play one second of basketball.

I would hope Jason Kidd approved of this deal since he's the one that's going to have to fit him in Dallas's Luka-centric half court system. Like that article I posted mentioned, he's on a contract year, so that is a favorable trade for multiple reasons for the Mavs. Still somewhat odd for two Texas teams to pull a trade like that, but I suppose they both had needs to fulfil in this deal.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43744 posts
Thu Jun-16-22 03:48 PM

3. "He’s very bad defensively. "
In response to Reply # 2

But if anyone can make him good - it’s Kidd.

So I dunno. He isn’t much outside of empty stats. Will be interesting to see him play with a star.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Castro
Charter member
50751 posts
Thu Jun-16-22 04:36 PM

5. "Kidd is going to turn him into Kenyon Martin with 3 point range"
In response to Reply # 3

------------------
One Hundred.

guru0509
Charter member
45358 posts
Mon Jun-27-22 12:19 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "Relax with the hyperbole...he isnt anywhere NEAR Kmart, now or EVER"
In response to Reply # 5

>

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Jun-16-22 04:40 PM

6. "I pretty much agree, I think he was the 2nd player to test positive…"
In response to Reply # 2

for covid after Rudy Gobert after playing against Gobert and I think that was the first time I had heard of him before that he was d league guy that had been cut by multiple teams then his stock blew up, I don’t know if he put in the work or just got better opportunities, either way seems like a nice pickup for Dallas for basically nothing

allStah
Member since Jun 21st 2014
9816 posts
Thu Jun-16-22 04:00 PM

4. "He is basically a 20/10. He can score all over the court"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jun-16-22 04:05 PM by allStah

He can hit the 3, score inside out. He can be up-coached on defense, but
he is a good shot blocker. It will be impossible to double Luka with him on the floor,
plus Brunson? And Hardaway will be back. They will be one of the favorites for sure.

This is a huge, excellent pickup. He has the ability to take over games with his
scoring. He will avg around 20, with some 30 and even 40 point games mixed in.
He shoots 50 pct from the field, and 39 pct from 3......Has the potential to become
an elite center.

There is one problem though. He MIGHT be injury prone. He has been
in the league for 8 years, and has never played more that 68 games,
and only played 41 games last season. The verdict is still out, but he is prone
to picking up injuries here and there.....

He is very athletic for a big, similar to AD....and being athletic as a big comes
with a price...so he might pick up injuries like AD.

ALL HAIL THE KING of LOSING: LEBRON
Bulls | Bears | White Sox | Yankees | Notre Dame | Illinois | Chelsea | Real Madrid

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2767832 Previous topic | Next topic