Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2764277

Subject: "OKS Spring/Summer Boxing Post" Previous topic | Next topic
snacks
Member since Sep 15th 2005
5622 posts
Mon May-02-22 06:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"OKS Spring/Summer Boxing Post"


          

We've had some very good fights recently (Spence/Ugas, Serrano/Taylor, Stevenson/Valdez), and some other big ones coming up. I'll post the schedule (more or less) below.

5/7 - Canelo vs. Bivol
5/14 - Charlo vs. Castano 2, Ennis vs. Clayton
5/21 - Benavidez vs. Lemieux
5/28 - Tank vs. Romero (for as long as that lasts)
6/4 - Haney vs. Kambosos
6/7 - Inoue vs. Donaire 2
6/18 - Beterbiev vs. Smith Jr.
7/9 - Magsayo vs. Vargas
7/23 - Usyk vs. Joshua 2

A few random thoughts on what's happened and what could happen:

- Spence vs. Ugas went as expected: exciting, but predictable. As much as boxing politics can get in the way sometimes, we actually might've lucked up. The timing is better than ever for Spence vs. Crawford. It would now be for undisputed, and both are coming off of big wins vs. top 5 WW's. Even bigger is that Bud is a free agent.
- Serrano vs. Taylor is FOTY so far IMO. Lubin vs. Fundora would be a second, but the ladies delivered on a level that exceeded expectations. I hope they rematch.
- On my boxing pod, we did a p4p ranking at the beginning of the year, and I had Stevenson at #10. My co-hosts were saying it may have been a bit premature, but I'm thinking it may have been too low.

Feel free to share any thoughts below.

_____________________________________

Me
http://twitter.com/phntmd
http://instagram.com/phntmd

The Brand
https://themonarchbrand.com/

The Boxing Pod
https://anchor.fm/lastonesatthebar

The Life Pod
https://anchor.fm/thewaterpodcast

  

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top


Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
About time you made this post lol …I was waiting
May 02nd 2022
1
Haha I was out of town when you hit me with the idea
May 02nd 2022
2
      Shakur Stevenson is a BIG 130 …he had to have gained 10 lbs after the ...
May 02nd 2022
3
           It's crazy cause he was a small/average 126
May 03rd 2022
4
I am so stupid excited for Spence Crawford
May 03rd 2022
5
Man they can have my CC info RIGHT NOW
May 03rd 2022
6
I didnt know Shakur had a rep for no power??
May 03rd 2022
7
      He's definitely known as not having KO power.
May 03rd 2022
8
      I've heard that he doesn't have KO power
May 03rd 2022
10
just subbed to your podcast on Spotify. Pumped
May 03rd 2022
9
Appreciate you! Hope you enjoy
May 03rd 2022
11
Bivol gonna need a knockout just to get a draw
May 07th 2022
12
Somehow almost didn’t get a W still.
May 08th 2022
13
      I think Bivol would fuck him up even more in the rematch...
May 08th 2022
14
My thoughts re: Canelo vs. Bivol
May 08th 2022
15

guru0509
Charter member
43892 posts
Mon May-02-22 08:19 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "About time you made this post lol …I was waiting "
In response to Reply # 0
Mon May-02-22 08:23 PM by guru0509

  

          

I was tired of seeing only MAGA UFC posts on OkS

Bivol is better than the last 3 guys Canelo has faced …(Caleb Plant has no 💥) looking forward to this



>We've had some very good fights recently (Spence/Ugas,
>Serrano/Taylor, Stevenson/Valdez), and some other big ones
>coming up. I'll post the schedule (more or less) below.
>
>5/7 - Canelo vs. Bivol
>5/14 - Charlo vs. Castano 2, Ennis vs. Clayton
>5/21 - Benavidez vs. Lemieux
>5/28 - Tank vs. Romero (for as long as that lasts)
>6/4 - Haney vs. Kambosos
>6/7 - Inoue vs. Donaire 2
>6/18 - Beterbiev vs. Smith Jr.
>7/9 - Magsayo vs. Vargas
>7/23 - Usyk vs. Joshua 2
>
>A few random thoughts on what's happened and what could
>happen:
>
>- Spence vs. Ugas went as expected: exciting, but predictable.
>As much as boxing politics can get in the way sometimes, we
>actually might've lucked up. The timing is better than ever
>for Spence vs. Crawford. It would now be for undisputed, and
>both are coming off of big wins vs. top 5 WW's. Even bigger is
>that Bud is a free agent.
>- Serrano vs. Taylor is FOTY so far IMO. Lubin vs. Fundora
>would be a second, but the ladies delivered on a level that
>exceeded expectations. I hope they rematch.
>- On my boxing pod, we did a p4p ranking at the beginning of
>the year, and I had Stevenson at #10. My co-hosts were saying
>it may have been a bit premature, but I'm thinking it may have
>been too low.
>
>Feel free to share any thoughts below.

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

  

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

    
snacks
Member since Sep 15th 2005
5622 posts
Mon May-02-22 08:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Haha I was out of town when you hit me with the idea"
In response to Reply # 1


          

>Bivol is better than the last 3 guys Canelo has faced …(Caleb Plant has no 💥) looking forward to this

It's gonna be interesting to see whether or not Canelo is bothered by his power. If so, it's gonna be an interesting fight. If not, he's gonna coast to a decision or stop him late

_____________________________________

Me
http://twitter.com/phntmd
http://instagram.com/phntmd

The Brand
https://themonarchbrand.com/

The Boxing Pod
https://anchor.fm/lastonesatthebar

The Life Pod
https://anchor.fm/thewaterpodcast

  

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

        
guru0509
Charter member
43892 posts
Mon May-02-22 09:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Shakur Stevenson is a BIG 130 …he had to have gained 10 lbs after the ..."
In response to Reply # 2


  

          


He reminds me of Winky Wright a lot…constantly probing w the left and keeping perfect distance

Put on a clinic , I don’t think he’ll dazzle with knockouts but just constant barrages until the refs stop it or the corner throws in a towel

Valdez And Reynoso come cheaters bro..Miguel Berchelt lost to a 💉 Valdez

>>Bivol is better than the last 3 guys Canelo has faced
>…(Caleb Plant has no 💥) looking forward to this
>
>It's gonna be interesting to see whether or not Canelo is
>bothered by his power. If so, it's gonna be an interesting
>fight. If not, he's gonna coast to a decision or stop him
>late

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

  

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

            
snacks
Member since Sep 15th 2005
5622 posts
Tue May-03-22 08:28 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "It's crazy cause he was a small/average 126"
In response to Reply # 3


          

I could see him getting up to 140 as he continues to grow into his grown man body


>He reminds me of Winky Wright a lot…constantly probing w the
>left and keeping perfect distance

I could def see the comparison

>Put on a clinic , I don’t think he’ll dazzle with
>knockouts but just constant barrages until the refs stop it or
>the corner throws in a towel
>
>Valdez And Reynoso come cheaters bro..Miguel Berchelt lost to
>a 💉 Valdez

Yeah, I think Valdez vs. Conceicao was a better indication of who he is as a fighter. I think he'll be a champ again once Shakur moves up, just hope he does it clean

_____________________________________

Me
http://twitter.com/phntmd
http://instagram.com/phntmd

The Brand
https://themonarchbrand.com/

The Boxing Pod
https://anchor.fm/lastonesatthebar

The Life Pod
https://anchor.fm/thewaterpodcast

  

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Hitokiri
Charter member
21571 posts
Tue May-03-22 09:13 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "I am so stupid excited for Spence Crawford"
In response to Reply # 0


  

          

I was so hyped hearing Spence, in the post fight say "Like I said, I was gonna get these straps and then I was gonna go over there and take his shit too... Terence, I'm coming for that muhfuckin belt!"

Even seeing their back and forth on twitter right now, is so entertaining.

And side note, it was hilarious in Spence's post-fight when he said "he hit me and I was like aw shit, then he kept hitting me and i was like aww damn"

Was a little disappointed we didn't have a post.

We all pretty much knew Shakur was gonna beat Valdez, the question was whether he was gonna win a wide decision or a close one. Question answered. I really wish Shakur had more power, because he's so damn skilled, and it's the one thing he lacks. He already looks damn near unbeatable, and if he had ko power, he'd be scary. Hope we get keep getting these great match-ups at 130-135.

And Serrano/Taylor was great. They've definitely gotta run that one back. I think Serrano might've punched herself out in the 5th (or whatever round that was) because she took her foot off the pedal in the next round when she should have poured it on. Impressive to see Taylor fight back after almost getting ko'd there.

--
"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

"There is only one god and his name is death. And there is only one thing we say to death: not today."

  

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

    
snacks
Member since Sep 15th 2005
5622 posts
Tue May-03-22 10:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Man they can have my CC info RIGHT NOW"
In response to Reply # 5


          

... for when that fight is made. I'm there, I don't care where it is

>I was so hyped hearing Spence, in the post fight say "Like I
>said, I was gonna get these straps and then I was gonna go
>over there and take his shit too... Terence, I'm coming for
>that muhfuckin belt!"
>
>Even seeing their back and forth on twitter right now, is so
>entertaining.

Agree. Maybe Bud was just disengaged from previous opponents or just over Arum (his fault for signing the extension), but he seems very much up for this fight. The build up is gonna be crazy and it's genuinely close to a 50/50 fight.

>And side note, it was hilarious in Spence's post-fight when he
>said "he hit me and I was like aw shit, then he kept hitting
>me and i was like aww damn"

Lmao I agree. He's unintentionally funny at times

>Was a little disappointed we didn't have a post.
>
>We all pretty much knew Shakur was gonna beat Valdez, the
>question was whether he was gonna win a wide decision or a
>close one. Question answered. I really wish Shakur had more
>power, because he's so damn skilled, and it's the one thing he
>lacks. He already looks damn near unbeatable, and if he had ko
>power, he'd be scary. Hope we get keep getting these great
>match-ups at 130-135.

Agree re: KO power. I hope he doesn't get to a point where he's avoided

>And Serrano/Taylor was great. They've definitely gotta run
>that one back. I think Serrano might've punched herself out in
>the 5th (or whatever round that was) because she took her foot
>off the pedal in the next round when she should have poured it
>on. Impressive to see Taylor fight back after almost getting
>ko'd there.

_____________________________________

Me
http://twitter.com/phntmd
http://instagram.com/phntmd

The Brand
https://themonarchbrand.com/

The Boxing Pod
https://anchor.fm/lastonesatthebar

The Life Pod
https://anchor.fm/thewaterpodcast

  

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

    
guru0509
Charter member
43892 posts
Tue May-03-22 11:47 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "I didnt know Shakur had a rep for no power??"
In response to Reply # 5


  

          

Valdez had a high guard for the entire fight and still left with a cut swollen pizza face

Is there anything/anyone left for him at 130?




>I was so hyped hearing Spence, in the post fight say "Like I
>said, I was gonna get these straps and then I was gonna go
>over there and take his shit too... Terence, I'm coming for
>that muhfuckin belt!"
>
>Even seeing their back and forth on twitter right now, is so
>entertaining.
>
>And side note, it was hilarious in Spence's post-fight when he
>said "he hit me and I was like aw shit, then he kept hitting
>me and i was like aww damn"
>
>Was a little disappointed we didn't have a post.
>
>We all pretty much knew Shakur was gonna beat Valdez, the
>question was whether he was gonna win a wide decision or a
>close one. Question answered. I really wish Shakur had more
>power, because he's so damn skilled, and it's the one thing he
>lacks. He already looks damn near unbeatable, and if he had ko
>power, he'd be scary. Hope we get keep getting these great
>match-ups at 130-135.
>
>And Serrano/Taylor was great. They've definitely gotta run
>that one back. I think Serrano might've punched herself out in
>the 5th (or whatever round that was) because she took her foot
>off the pedal in the next round when she should have poured it
>on. Impressive to see Taylor fight back after almost getting
>ko'd there.

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

  

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

        
Hitokiri
Charter member
21571 posts
Tue May-03-22 12:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "He's definitely known as not having KO power."
In response to Reply # 7


  

          

But he's got literally everything else.
At 130... there's really not much. He could unify... but the all of the big fights are at 135. He and Valdez were pretty much the last people hanging around at 130.

--
"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

"There is only one god and his name is death. And there is only one thing we say to death: not today."

  

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

        
snacks
Member since Sep 15th 2005
5622 posts
Tue May-03-22 02:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "I've heard that he doesn't have KO power"
In response to Reply # 7


          

But he certainly has respectable power. To be fair, I think a lot of people equate "power" to be "one shot KO power" in boxing

_____________________________________

Me
http://twitter.com/phntmd
http://instagram.com/phntmd

The Brand
https://themonarchbrand.com/

The Boxing Pod
https://anchor.fm/lastonesatthebar

The Life Pod
https://anchor.fm/thewaterpodcast

  

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
17598 posts
Tue May-03-22 12:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "just subbed to your podcast on Spotify. Pumped"
In response to Reply # 0


  

          

  

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

    
snacks
Member since Sep 15th 2005
5622 posts
Tue May-03-22 02:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "Appreciate you! Hope you enjoy"
In response to Reply # 9


          

Feel free to shoot any feedback if you have any and feel compelled. We're always looking to get better

_____________________________________

Me
http://twitter.com/phntmd
http://instagram.com/phntmd

The Brand
https://themonarchbrand.com/

The Boxing Pod
https://anchor.fm/lastonesatthebar

The Life Pod
https://anchor.fm/thewaterpodcast

  

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

guru0509
Charter member
43892 posts
Sat May-07-22 10:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "Bivol gonna need a knockout just to get a draw "
In response to Reply # 0


  

          

I still think GGG won both fights vs Canelo so take my opinion w a grain of salt

But Bivol is better than Canelos last 3 opponents so it should be entertaining (hopefullly )

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

  

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

    
ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43063 posts
Sun May-08-22 01:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "Somehow almost didn’t get a W still."
In response to Reply # 12


  

          

Luckily he was so dominant he won by 2 lol

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

  

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

        
guru0509
Charter member
43892 posts
Sun May-08-22 03:27 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "I think Bivol would fuck him up even more in the rematch..."
In response to Reply # 13


  

          

>Luckily he was so dominant he won by 2 lol

Canelo was hitting arm the whole night, dude left the ring with the same babyface he walked in with (did you know he was half Korean? I had no idea)


We need Beterbiev vs Bivol now.

Chechnya vs Russia.

Top Rank and DAZN need to put aside their differences and get it done.

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

  

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

snacks
Member since Sep 15th 2005
5622 posts
Sun May-08-22 07:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
15. "My thoughts re: Canelo vs. Bivol"
In response to Reply # 0


          

A few interesting things about the CompuBox:
- The 10th round was the only round where Bivol landed single digit punches (8). Even then, he STILL outlanded Canelo 8-6.
- The 9th and 11th rounds were the only rounds where Canelo landed double digit punches. He was STILL outlanded in both rounds.
Canelo landed 117 punches vs. Mayweather.

I scored it 117-111 Bivol. I don't see how you give Canelo more than 4 rounds. 4 is being nice.

I thought Canelo would have a second gear if he couldn’t get to the body like he wanted. I thought that his stamina had gotten overall better, but I was wrong.

I also thought that there was no way Canelo would lose a decision in Vegas, but Bivol simply made it impossible for the judges to give it to him. Canelo was trying to land head hooks, but Bivol had his earmuffs up. He was tryna land body hooks, Bivol had the elbows down. Then he'd counter with a straight jab and stands Canelo back up. It was really amazing to see.

Canelo’s style (like not fighting style but strictly from round to round) reminds me a little of Wilder and Tank in some ways. Sure, he was the better boxer, but in previous fights, he has been too content giving up rounds because he knew he’d have the power to knock them out. What happens when you do that is, eventually you come up against a better boxer and you won’t be afforded that luxury.


Honestly, this was the best case scenario for him moving back up to 175. He could’ve caught someone that could’ve stopped him. Massive respect for him though. For as much flack as he gets about his opposition, he dared to be great. He did what we wanted to see all these other great fighters do.

_____________________________________

Me
http://twitter.com/phntmd
http://instagram.com/phntmd

The Brand
https://themonarchbrand.com/

The Boxing Pod
https://anchor.fm/lastonesatthebar

The Life Pod
https://anchor.fm/thewaterpodcast

  

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2764277 Previous topic | Next topic
Powered by DCForum+ Version 1.25
Copyright © DCScripts.com