Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2758637

Subject: "Erin Jackson: creating Black History during Black History Month" Previous topic | Next topic
Numba_33
Charter member
19333 posts
Mon Feb-14-22 01:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Erin Jackson: creating Black History during Black History Month"

link: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/erin-jackson-becomes-first-black-173748544.html

swipe:

Erin Jackson Becomes First Black Woman To Win Solo Speed Skating Medal At Winter Olympics

DeMicia Inman
Mon, February 14, 2022, 12:37 PM·2 min read

Speedskater Erin Jackson has made history. The 29-year-old Florida native became the first Black woman athlete to earn a medal in speed skating after she came in first place during the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics. On Sunday (Feb. 13), Jackson finished her lap in the women’s 500-meter race with a time of 37.04 seconds.

“I think I cried immediately,” said Jackson to Team USA. “Just like a big release of emotion. A lot of shock, a lot of relief, and a lot of happiness.”

Team USA has not won a medal in speedskating since 2010 when Shani Davis won in the men’s 1,000-meter. When Davis won, he was the first Black American to win an Olympic Winter Games individual gold medal. Jackson hopes her win can inspire youth to pursue their goals.

“Hopefully, it has an effect,” Jackson remarked. “Hopefully, we can see more minorities, especially in the USA, getting out and trying some of these winter sports. And I just always hope to be a good example like especially with helping kids see that they don’t have to just choose one between school and sports.”

Jackson’s skills on wheels are not limited to speedskating. In fact, she only began the sport n 2017. She picked up inline skating when she was 10 years old in 2002 and has been a roller skater for as long as she can remember. Another skater Brittany Bowe offered Jackson her spot in the Olympic games after she struggled during the qualifying tournament. Bowe finished in 16th place.

“I knew she had the chance to do something really special and she just showed the world why she deserved to be here, and she’s Olympic champion,” shared Bowe.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Good for her
Feb 14th 2022

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Mon Feb-14-22 05:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Good for her"
In response to Reply # 0

I would think kids may want to skate to emulate her.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2758637 Previous topic | Next topic