Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2746217

Subject: "Is an app that allows a user to 'score' a BB game a good idea?" Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Sat Sep-11-21 12:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Is an app that allows a user to 'score' a BB game a good idea?"
Sat Sep-11-21 12:58 AM by obsidianchrysalis

Hey.

I have this idea in mind for an app. The app would allow its user the ability to track player data (shots made/missed, TOs, assists) as they watch a game - either while watching on TV or in person. Kind of a digital scorecard that is used in baseball, but for basketball.

The app would work on a tablet of some sort.

Is this a good idea? Would you be interested in trying to use an app like I described?

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
doesn’t ESPN and NBA.com do this already?
Sep 11th 2021
Well, the difference is that you would be tracking the stats at home
Sep 11th 2021
      Not sure I follow
Sep 11th 2021
           Yeah, I may not be describing my idea properly
Sep 11th 2021
                if i understand you correctly, it seems like something an absolute dieha...
Sep 13th 2021
                     I think parents of kids and coaches/scouts would like this
Sep 13th 2021
                          yeah I did this or had someone do it when I coached youth bball I don't....
Sep 13th 2021
I don't see live scoring working for a sport like basketball
Sep 13th 2021
It would be fun to compare scoring cards at the end of a game
Sep 13th 2021
Right. One play could effect multiple players stat lines back to back
Sep 13th 2021
I appreciate everyone's feedback
Sep 13th 2021
Yeah - so from here you can further define your use case.
Sep 14th 2021
      Thanks for that.
Sep 14th 2021

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79545 posts
Sat Sep-11-21 09:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "doesn’t ESPN and NBA.com do this already?"
In response to Reply # 0

what would make yours unique?

following multiple players in different games on the same screen?

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

obsidianchrysalis
8747 posts
Sat Sep-11-21 03:51 PM

2. "Well, the difference is that you would be tracking the stats at home"
In response to Reply # 1

You're right that websites do something similar. My aim was to create something that allowed fans or people interested in learning more about the strategy of basketball to have a tool to track what players do in various regions on the court.

The app would look something similar to what you see on NBA.com but would simply be something the user would use at home to track player's and team's performance during gameplay.

legsdiamond
79545 posts
Sat Sep-11-21 05:29 PM

3. "Not sure I follow"
In response to Reply # 2

you might need to flesh this out a bit more

I can check scores and stats at home already so that doesn’t excite
me.

I think the actual data would have to be unique and something that isn’t offered by espn or nba.com

is this for fantasy basketball?

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

obsidianchrysalis
8747 posts
Sat Sep-11-21 07:31 PM

4. "Yeah, I may not be describing my idea properly"
In response to Reply # 3
Sat Sep-11-21 07:35 PM by obsidianchrysalis

Have you ever scored a baseball game on a scorecard? Making marks for a strikeout or writing in the position numbers to describe an out?

The app would be something similar but for basketball.

But you're right that whatever it does, it needs to add value relative to what is easily available on espn.com or nba.com. I'll do some more thinking about that.

** EDIT **

I came up with the idea because I struggle to follow the action and remember what takes place earlier in a game.

I thought by having a record of what a player does around the court may help me better understand strategy or at least what a player does best.

I didn't think about the app in terms of live-scoring fantasy sports. I guess that's something to consider.

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59167 posts
Mon Sep-13-21 09:06 AM

5. "if i understand you correctly, it seems like something an absolute dieha..."
In response to Reply # 4

fan might be interested in, like top 1% of fans. Most fans are casual fans and don't have the attention span or interest to log the type of data that you are talking about...especially if you are talking about things beyond the basic pts, reb assists, data etc that's readily available online in real time.

I'd think it be something more beneficial for youth leagues and coaches. I know there is a similar app for baseball/softball called gamechanger. You log the game in real time like a scorecard but can add extra info like pitch count, type of pitch thrown, where it was hit, etc....it compiles all the season stats, has spray charts etc.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

legsdiamond
79545 posts
Mon Sep-13-21 09:56 AM

7. "I think parents of kids and coaches/scouts would like this"
In response to Reply # 5

but my issue is since users are putting in the data it means there will be a lot of errors..

at home tho.. I can’t really see the value of trying to score a basketball player at home. Seems like it would be difficult to do.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Mon Sep-13-21 10:06 AM

8. "yeah I did this or had someone do it when I coached youth bball I don't...."
In response to Reply # 7

really see the value of doing that for NBA games when so many other apps/websites already do it for you.

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13189 posts
Mon Sep-13-21 09:28 AM

6. "I don't see live scoring working for a sport like basketball"
In response to Reply # 0

There is too much that happens every play that you'd need to "score" and in the time it takes you to score everything in your phone, you've put your head down long enough to easily miss something completely.

With baseball this is possible because after every single moment that requires some kind of scoring there is a break in place for at least 10 seconds.

legsdiamond
79545 posts
Mon Sep-13-21 12:39 PM

9. "It would be fun to compare scoring cards at the end of a game"
In response to Reply # 6

I cant imagine most fans having accurate cards by the start if the 4th quarter.

it would be like boxing judges.. all over the place.

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59167 posts
Mon Sep-13-21 01:08 PM

10. "Right. One play could effect multiple players stat lines back to back"
In response to Reply # 6

a block is a block, missed shot and a rebound, steal is a steal and turnover etc.

Maybe as a game to see who could is scoree it the most accurate but not my idea of a fun friday night.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

obsidianchrysalis
8747 posts
Mon Sep-13-21 09:40 PM

11. "I appreciate everyone's feedback"
In response to Reply # 0

I have more information to base my decision to make this app on and that can only be a good thing.

soulfunk
Charter member
10998 posts
Tue Sep-14-21 09:49 AM

12. "Yeah - so from here you can further define your use case."
In response to Reply # 11

You mentioned that the idea came from you struggling to follow and keep up with the game action. You also know now that you need to differentiate your app idea from what's already available.

With that use case in mind I'd recommend watching a couple games while using currently available apps. Follow the play be play on the ESPN app, along with the shot charts. Do the same with NBA.com. If the currently available apps solve for the initial problem you have then that use case isn't differentiated enough for there to be value in developing something new.

From that point think about the other potential use cases - fantasy sports along with parents of athletes and/or scouts. I'm not a fantasy sport person myself, but given how many millions of dollars are in that I'm sure there are plenty of available apps that people use. That being said, because there's so much money in it, you could potentially carve out a niche if you can find a gap in features that fills a need. In going that route I'd recommend getting feedback from people who play a lot of fantasy sports on what apps they are currently using, and figure out if there are potential pain points.

The last use case mentioned was parents of athletes and/or scouts...now THAT sounds unique - because stats for youth sports aren't nearly as available as pro sports (and definitely not live tracking.) Also there's potentially a good amount of untapped money in that market - parents of kids playing sports spent a good amount of money. They'd also be looking for ways to help them understand. I know that personally - my nephew plays football for Stanford, and coming up through youth football leagues and high school football it was funny watching my sister try to learn the game as she watched her son. I could definitely see parents of those athletes being willing to shell out some coin for a well-designed app that helps them both track their kid's stats and at the same time get a better understanding of the game.

obsidianchrysalis
8747 posts
Tue Sep-14-21 11:33 PM

13. "Thanks for that."
In response to Reply # 12

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2746217 Previous topic | Next topic